Severe Weather Warning Issued By Met Office

Wednesday January 29 2014

Grit wagons will be sent out to primary routes tonight Grit wagons will be sent out to primary routes tonight

A SEVERE weather warning has been issued by the Met Office, prompting Barnsley Council to send out the gritters.

The Met Office say scattered wintry showers and falling temperatures are likely to lead to some icy surfaces late on Wednesday and during Thursday morning.

Barnsley Council has announced that from 6pm tonight (Wednesday) the gritters will be out on the primary routes.

These include main roads, those linking towns and villages and bus routes.

Reply Posted by Dave Allemby on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 16:53
well it had to happen some time this winter - think we have been very lucky so far compared to the rest of the country

Reply Posted by Mike Hunt on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 16:57
Damn gritter ruining my damn wheels. Rusting me car to death. Survived the scrappage scheme and the gritters drop this shat on my road and feck me wheel arches up. Polished lip wheels are now like Rusted lip wheels.

Reply Posted by Smell Mike Hunt on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:26
How old is your car? All cars are galvanised these days so it shouldn't rust.

Reply Posted by Emz on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:28
Yes I agree 'me'... You can always wash your car Mike, it would be a different story if the gritters didnt go out and u smashed your car up instead! It affects everyones car, but n safety first, stop moaning!

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:00
You can wash your car Mike. It's not like Barnsley have a lack of car washes is it?......

Reply Posted by clee on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:08
seeing is believing,,,always get caught out anyway,,,,watch this space.?????

Reply Posted by Paul on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:09
Noooo off to lanzarote in morning!!!!! Leeds/Bradford better be de-iced, don't care what weather does in England then lol .

Reply Posted by Me on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:09
Can i just say mike ur car can be replaced in time someones life carnt if tbey hv a bad fall or a fatal crash get a grip about ya car

Reply Posted by eddie tupper on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:11
They never grit in the estates and side streets etc do they ? Its ok doin all the main roads but its gettin to them thats the problem !THINK BARNSLEY COUNCIL N DO IT RIGHT

Reply Posted by Emz on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:31
I agree on that one too eddie, they never grit where people actually live (housing estates etc), where is often the most dangerous. For how much people pay council tax and whatever else, its about time they spent a little more on making it safer especially for the older generation!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 19:09
Not only that they never grit or clear the industrial estates so folk cant get to work!
For some of us that have to drive to get to work this is a real pisser.

Reply Posted by Nic on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:12
APOCALYPSE BARNSLEY: Quick, lets get all the bread and milk from the shelves, every man for himself. WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!...

Reply Posted by Caroline on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:20
Thanks for making me laugh on a miserable day!

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:13
Aww @Nic you bet me too it lol just about to say the same thing lol

Reply Posted by clee on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:19
ha,ha,,well said Nic,,,bet asda and Morrissons will be pulled out to-nite,,,the mind boggles....PANIC,PANIC,PANIC,,,,.......

Reply Posted by J. Griffiths on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:24
Please BMBC, will you also grit the side roads, especially on the hills. Think of us oap's.

Reply Posted by William Keena on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:26
@nic loved that comment, lol

Reply Posted by Kfc on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:38
Let's hope the bike thief is working and slips off and breaks his thieving neck on the ice.

Reply Posted by C. Jones on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:44
Totally agree with you J. Griffiths, where I live we have to go up quite a steep hill to get out of our roads and we never get gritted.

Reply Posted by Cleo Toris on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:55
SEVERE weather warning equals closed schools resulting in quieter rush hour roads and getting to work much quicker. I'm outside as I type doing the snow dance!

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 18:03
What planet you on cleo toris. how do you get to work quicker? the roads are gridlocked and cars abandoned due to heavy snow.

Reply Posted by g on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 18:01
what do they call primary routes where the councillers live ie cawthorne /penistone etc etc

Reply Posted by jojo on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 19:04
well g if they call penistone a primary route cos the councillors live here well god help us cos we never get gritted

Reply Posted by Cleo Toris on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 18:12
Heavy snow Fred? Check the weather forecast before you type such utter stupidity! Or have you just watch The Day After Tomorrow and mistaken it for Calendar?

Reply Posted by Julz on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 18:21
Having spent years living in a mud hut down a track, can I suggest people leave there cars on main roads, or try that old community spirit lark, pull together and clear the road! It always amazes me how well the buses run too....there those large people carrying vehicles that run on those gritted roads! Personally I'm grateful for the gritter guys who last winter worked round the clock then put up with the usual Barnsley blubbering 'woe is me!'

Reply Posted by sheepbollockeyes on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 18:28
ive tried fundrasing for my poultry but cannot afford the prices as they eat dog food. i fear i may have to put them to sleep

Reply Posted by Cleo Toris on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 18:32
Having time to reflect, I agree with your point Fred. I can see it now, three foot of snow, cars left stranded everywhere, mass looting of sports stores for tennis racquets so people can stick them on their shoes and walk to Netto for supplies. I do hope you're wrong though, for one reason I really don't want to have to turn the heating up!

Reply Posted by bekkie on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 18:38
Yayyyyy snow day tomorrow. and an inset day next week,snuggles with my 5 year old and skating time.

Reply Posted by Naa it wint on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 19:46
I Bet it don't even snow or owt it'll all be a big fuss over nothing and if it does happen even better need something to make this place look a little nicer haha

Reply Posted by mr x on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 19:46
light dusting on hills

Reply Posted by mr snow man on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 19:53
A bit of snow I hear oh jolly good I love it everyone complaining but It has never stopped me getting off my street with a car a few inches off the ground in deep snow.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 19:59
And next weeks news........POTHOLES and how this freakish weather only affects Barnsley (according to BMBC Labour Councillors)!

Reply Posted by Devilish mamma on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:00
I think they should be doin school routes too I had a really bad fall last year when it was icy n injured all my back couldn't walk for nrly a week and to too it off my then 4 yr old son came down with me n did his knee in its ok doin main routes but how r we mean to even get onto main roads if we can't get out of estates? Worse is if it happens again I now have a 7 week old in a pram n if she goes flyin in pram I won't be happy n the council will be gettin a piece of my mind because her pram could end up in road or worse :(

Reply Posted by M Taylor on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:07
Well if it does happen to snow I know where our nearest grit box is, so just to make sure I'll be spreading that for the older end where I live and by where my mum lives so I know the old folk will be ok

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:13
I hope it does snow so I can throw a big juicy snowball staight in Steve Houghton's face!

PS

Nice to see you back Richard.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:36
Likewise Fred.....personally I'd like to pile all the snow up on his front yard blocking his car on his drive to show him what we all think of him and his muppets!

Reply Posted by Steve Houghton on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 21:15
Richard - You sound like a right wing General, And if you came to my Big House and started to shovel snow I would video you and send to the BENEFITS OFFICE has you are more likely to be claiming DLA ETC,

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 21:53
Please do video it, it would make an amazing documentary showing what the real people think of over paid muppets with their noses in the trough!

Feel free to send it to the Benefits Office too, I'm sure they would appreciate a false allegation from you to waste their time.

Reply Posted by Percy on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 22:50
Let me know when tha gooin rahnd to Houghtons, an al gi thi an and

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 23:06
I hope your not going to Graffiti round at Steve.s house. because with that Grammar you aint hiding anywhere..Nerd

Reply Posted by Nix on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:26
I agree emz , an old man died on my street last year he slipped on the ice and died later with head injuries , and your right with the amount we pay in council tax ud think they would grit streets as well as main routes .

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:33
@ Nix unfortunately the amount you pay in council tax will have no bearing on what BMBC actually do with the money (as long as Labour are at the helm).

Reply Posted by crazy dave on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 22:13
It snows in thy eard ivry day Richard, a bet thy eard is like one a them snow globes tha can gerrin blackpoil

Reply Posted by Tina on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:51
NO SNOW plz....I ave to walk to wrk in the snow...BDGH...patients still need looking after...4 miles in snows not good...then back again if it hasn't cleared..but I agree that the gritters do a damn good job with the resources they are given...and Mike get a grip..come and see how many people need operations and treatment due to falls on the ice and snow b4 u moan about your car...geez the mind boggles!!!!

Reply Posted by DARREN on Thursday January 30 2014 at 10:39
THERE GROUP OUT THERE WHAT TRANSPORT STAFF ETC TO WORK ETC IN BAD WEATHER ETC

Reply Posted by Amanda on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 22:10
The roads around Spencer Street Locke Park are always horrific! It can snow and 4 weeks after it'll have defrosted elsewhere except Spencer Street! Another one St Mary's Road or Vicar Road/Crescent in Darfield - 2 further horrific streets that never see a drop of grit and 4 weeks after they are still a skating rink!

Reply Posted by just me on Thursday January 30 2014 at 06:19
Ha ha its better than watching jezza on here,so much bitching,anyway it int gonna snow and if it does so what,we manage every other time its not like we gonna have the big freeze is it,and maybe the council will have somet to do instead of tarmacin roads that get done every 6 mths x

Reply Posted by DARREN on Thursday January 30 2014 at 10:31
THEY IS GROUP OUT THERE WHAT DOES TRANSPORT STAFF ETC TO WORK IN BAD WEATHER ETC

Reply Posted by Nic on Thursday January 30 2014 at 12:00
Some folk have to travel to work

Reply Posted by dave on Friday January 31 2014 at 00:57
The weather conditions will still not stop the idiots flyin to work driving bit too fast,ur van man holding a cup of tea well driving with one hand,the driver with the flash car driver on the phone I see it all some drivers are very impatient remember weather conditions and slow down set off to work earlier,you have all day to reach your destination why risk causing a accident or wrecking a life!!!