Council Contracts Up For Grabs For Local Businesses

Monday February 3 2014

Town Hall Town Hall

CONTRACTS are being offered to local businesses to take on council services like grass cutting and running youth clubs.

A huge shake up of council structure will see six area councils formed that will each have a £100,000 budget to pay for businesses to run services usually provided by the council.

A series of open days has been arranged to help locals apply for the contracts to do the work.

Cabinet spokesman Coun Jenny Platts said: “The new arrangements will enable businesses and community groups who have the expertise and skills to work with us to deliver a range of activities from maintaining public spaces, to supporting people to get back into work, to youth activities and much more.”

Coun Donna Green, of the Kingstone ward, added: "It's a great opportunity for local people to tackle local issues. Jobs could be created from it and I'd urge people to attend the drop-in events."

Drop-in events will take place at Tankersley Manor on February 4, Encore Hotel on February 5 and at the Holiday Inn, off Manvers Way, on February 6. Events will be held from 1-7pm.

Reply Posted by job on Monday February 3 2014 at 16:34
Cost saving again . Don't think this will create jobs only reduce staff and the council wage bill . And in some cases put services in potential unreliable hands

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday February 3 2014 at 17:19
The council should be looking to make savings in costs. After all it is our money that they are spending. It may well be that the services will be much better and more cost effective in the hands of local businesses.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Monday February 3 2014 at 16:58
Sounds like a scheme designed to allow the council to get out of local responsibilities so they can concentrate on spending all our tax monies on Sir Steve Houghtons pet project the town centre..!!

Reply Posted by Anon on Monday February 3 2014 at 17:35
So the council (the ones that supposedly "specialise" in council services) are subbing it out to businesses that "specialise" in council services?? And this is supposed to be cost saving and more efficient and better?? Doesn't this simply say the actual council are charging too much in the first place?

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, but the BMBC have a long history of foul ups!

Reply Posted by Rate payer on Monday February 3 2014 at 19:50
I'm all for saving money as I pay full council tax, not 10%. Let's start by cutting down on councilers' WHY do we need three on each ward. Two would do, maybe even one !!!!!!

Reply Posted by tez28 on Monday February 3 2014 at 21:10
outsourcing won't work and i agree with you rate payer we should only have one councilor per ward, apart from doing nothing most of the time what do they do? I live on sheltered housing complex and in the last 5 weeks one councilor turned up to see the committee after 13 months! where are these people for the 13 months they never showed their faces? just a waste of public money i say.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday February 3 2014 at 21:22
We really don't know what the councillors do, its time for some transparency. Who knows,they may earn their wages,but as the wage is paid from the public purse we really should be allowed to see where our money is being spent. I for one wouldn't assume the councillors don't earn their wage,because I don't know what they actually do. I have never met one,in fact I can name very few,and the ones I can name are the ones hilited on this site. They need to get out more and promote what they do within the council that benefits their wage payers.

Reply Posted by Richard on Monday February 3 2014 at 21:35
@tez28 I think they're a waste of money when it's the wrong people in the job. Unfortunately it's the voters putting them in this position, so they've only got themselves to blame when we don't get the service we want. Labour councillors and MPs are a waste of space and money.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 06:54
Richard, I agree again, however what are the viable alternatives?
Tory? - Wouldn't get in hell never mind Barnsley.
Lib Dem? Again I refer you to the total shambles that is Sheffield council and if you think BMBC / Labour is bad then take a look at the Lib Dems in Sheff, it is far far worse than Labour in Barnsley.

There are no viable alternatives, that is the crux of the problem.

Reply Posted by AlanB on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 18:34
It's a Labour council in Sheffield

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday February 6 2014 at 10:57
AlanB, I was referring to the very short and tortuous tenure when the Lib Dems were at the helm of Sheffield City Council before the got their backsides kicked out I hasten to add.
Sheffield population survey suggested that the Lib Dems were the WORST council that they have ever had.
Perhaps this would explain why they were only in for a few short years.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday February 3 2014 at 21:42
Do you know that though @richard? Do you really know what they do? I'm interested that's all.

Reply Posted by Richard on Monday February 3 2014 at 22:27
@ Sid, it's easy to see they are a waste of space and money and it doesn't take a genius to see that.

We know what their responsibilities are and we know they're not making the grade. How much detail do you want?

Cllr Roy Miller can't even get the potholes fixed and blames the weather like its a very specific problem in Barnsley! How much is he getting paid?

Seems there's still a few heads buried in the sand to realise just how bad they are.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday February 3 2014 at 22:37
Richard,I read you're posts often and its not like you to generalise. I just think to make a fair judgement of anyone,not just the councillors, I would like to know what thiervday consists of. They may work hard,they may be unwise,but I,d like to see just what their job actually entails,like I said,transparency. I don't believe any colour party would purposely drag the town down. What would the point be? I'm not standing up for them,its obvious changes need making,but I would like to change them with some knowledge of what changes to make for the better.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 06:51
WE pay THEM to serve US!
The unfortunate thing is they act like lords of the manor and we are minions in their eyes.
The Local (idiotic) Labour Party is a closed shop, you are either in or you aren't.
Harry Spence wasn't in and the only way he could get in was by chucking his independent principles in the bin and defecting to Labour to get in.
Theyre not in it to make a difference, they are only in it to feather their own nests.

Reply Posted by Richard on Monday February 3 2014 at 22:51
Sid, I agree with what you are saying. Of course there is no point in deliberately doing a bad job, but it's clear to see they are complacent and set in their ways.

What is needed is some fresh faces that actually listen to what people want, get stuck into the heart of the problems, act like they are working FULL TIME for the residents, give transparency to what they do and be accountable for their decision making.

That way they would surely get greater support and understanding from the folk that pay their wages.

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday February 3 2014 at 22:53
what actually do there do Richard:

Reply Posted by sid on Monday February 3 2014 at 23:04
I would like to know their qualifications and capabilities, not just the labour councillor s, ALL OF THEM. I would also like to know what their job entails, and if they are qualified to do the job. Until then I find it difficult to praise or grumble to some degree. Simply because as I have no insight into their jobs, I don't know if I could do any better. It will never change until we,the tax payers are given more knowledge. I know one thing,it won't happen,there are too many closed doors.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 08:00
The Council (all of them) are paid to act on our behalf and represent all the people of Barnsley (not to serve us!)
What we have here is an opportunity for a Councillor that loves the 'headlines' to contact one of the TV production companies and have a fly on the wall documentary about local councils?! Not sure it would happen but imagine the ratings / fall out.
As stated above, we have a lack of viable alternatives both at local and national level, at the moment I would choose 'none of the above' on both local / national voting slips but then that wont happen as all main stream parties would suffer!
As for local services being delivered by 'local' businesses, its a recipe for disaster..... the funding for the services would be cut due to 'costs and management' so the £100k would become £50k? What about handing over the funds to the Youth Clubs themselves, let them choice their own fate!

Reply Posted by bananas on Tuesday February 4 2014 at 13:24
get thi lawn mower out mr Houghton, tha gets paid enuff.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 09:32
@ AlanB I believe you are right. Just another example of Labour making a mess of things.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday February 6 2014 at 11:00
Richard, you and I know both know that I was referring to when the Lib Dums were in (short) charge of Sheffield City Council, before the got kicked out by the local voting populous as they were the WORST council that the city have ever had , according to populous surveys.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 11:53
It's always amazing to hear all the criticism directed at our Labour run council but come the May elections Labour always manage to get voted back in.????

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 14:02
Well Rainbow, this is why this forum is good to share our views to show people our displeasure at the current council. I for one will not be voting Labour. They've had enough chances to do a good job, yet fail miserably on every level. Time for change, just about anybody would do a better job from all I've seen.

Reply Posted by Sez on Wednesday February 5 2014 at 19:22
If you want to know what the councillors do go on to the Barnsley Councils website it tells you on there. It also tells you how much they are paid which is roughly £10k so after taxes call it £6.6k. Hence why they tend to have other jobs besides.If you're not happy about anything you can get in contact with them, their details are all on there. The ones I've had dealings with do seem to genuinely care. Hope this helps :-)

Reply Posted by sid on Friday February 7 2014 at 00:01
Thanks @sez. I,all take a look.