Dogs Seized and Man Arrested After Tip Off

Thursday February 2 2012

TWO dogs which are thought to be a banned breed have been seized and their owner arrested as part of a unique police investigation for the town.

A warrant was issued this morning under the laws of the Dangerous Dogs Act which allowed police to seize the dogs - thought to be pit bulls - and arrest their 21-year-old owner.

Police say they were acting on a tip that was given to them by a worried member of the public who feared the dogs were the banned breed.

Sgt John Crapper, who led the investigation, said it is the first case of its kind that his team has dealt with. He added: "A case like this is a bit of a rareity - its the first one anybody on this team has investigated but obviously we have to act when we are given information like this. Imagine if we didn't and the unthinkable happened."

The dogs have been sent to a police unit which specialises in identifying dangerous dogs that are prohibited under the act. The man has been bailed pending the outcome of these inquiries - but if the dogs are found to be a banned breed he faces prosecution and the dogs could be destroyed.

Sgt Crapper added: "The Dangerous Dogs Act was introduced because of a number of awful incidents concerning these dogs. The problem is that people assume you see a lot of pit bulls walking around, you think you see them everywhere because there is quite a confusing proliferalion of breeds and people get pit bulls, staffies and bull mastiffs mixed up.

"I've seen pictures of some of the cross breeds myself and would challenge anyone to tell them apart - that's why we have these experts who are trained in identifying them."

The Dangerous Dogs Act was introduced in 1991 and prohibits specific breeds of dog from being bred, sold or purchased. It set out a registration scheme for owners which allowed them to keep their pets - but only if they met stringent regulations. The dogs had to be chipped, tattooed, neutered, muzzled at all times when they were out and homed in adequate, secure areas.

Any other dogs "appearing... to be bred for fighting or to have the characteristics of a type bred for that purpose" are also banned.

Reply Posted by Kyrah on Thursday February 2 2012 at 16:38
most people cannot tell the difference between a staffy and a pitbull and the BSL bloody stupid law condemns dogs to death for their only crime being to look a certain way. Legal breeds can also be taken away and destroyed for having the same characteristics as a putbull and the law is a shambles. A dog should be judged not on it's breed but by it's deeds and the law doesn't care if it's a pitbull or not they just want to be showing to be doing something at the expense of a breed that has a bad reputation. There are many cases that show that staffords are taken away and judged to be of type and blatantly aren't  but nobody cares about that, just that "devil dogs" are being seized. Sausage dogs, Jack Russells and Yorkshire Terriers are STATISTICALLY proved to be more vicious but where is their legislation? It's the owners that should be put to sleep for not being responsible members of society that allow their dogs to foul the name of a lovely breed of dog.

Reply Posted by Kyrah on Thursday February 2 2012 at 16:38

Reply Posted by Kyrah on Thursday February 2 2012 at 16:38

Reply Posted by Claire on Thursday February 2 2012 at 17:16
i completely agree with Kyra about the stereotyping of dogs x my mum has a staffy and he is quite a tall staffy and people sometimes mistake him for a pitbull x he is honestly the softest dog i have ever known and all he ever wants is a cuddle x i don't think it is fair to 'punish' the dogs as it is not their fault that they are the breed they are x you wouldn't kill a child for its race x i think that if a dog is viscious there is only one person to blame and that is the owners x just to prove my point, we used to have a jack russel and a neighbour got the sister to ours x ours was so lovely and only ever bit one person and that was the burglar who broke into our house x the neighbours dog on the other hand was what i can only describe as evil x

Reply Posted by wayne on Thursday February 2 2012 at 17:43
Ithink its wrong to destroy these dogs if they avnt been used for fighting .they can be very good pets

Reply Posted by tracey Butters Thompson on Thursday February 2 2012 at 21:28
Why destroy the dogs? What have they done? They cant help being what they are - I am a dog lover and am against destroying any animal - apart from euthinasia reasons - where it is the best interests of the dog...
It is a disgrace that these dogs may be destroyed - the attitude towards certain "banned breeds" is no different to Hitler - and what he did to the Jews!
I have 4 Japanese Akitas - If anybody EVER tried to take them they would have to go through me first, and as a fierce protector of my dogs - I would die for them

Reply Posted by julie squires on Friday February 3 2012 at 09:01
I totaly agree hun it is disgusting that in this day n age  dogs still get destroyed before commiting a crime, some of these dogs could be softies but dont get the chance to live!!!! why not have training kennels  where they can be taught, we as va country are horrible to our pets and need to think of the dogs now they have feelings too!

Reply Posted by Charniee on Friday February 3 2012 at 11:57
I think this is disgusting that the dog's may be destroyed. They cant help it that they were bred to be what they are. And in my opinion it shouldn't be a case of 'a dangerous breed' it's the owners that make them what they are, so why take the dogs life when it's the owners that have moulded them to what they are. All dogs should be given a chance as no dog is the same. They could have life taken away from them and they could have an amazing temprement.

Reply Posted by Becca on Saturday February 4 2012 at 07:54
When will people realise it should be DEED NOT BREED! They shouldn't be trying to determin the breed but rather determin the temprement of the dog itself! Arghhh makes me maaaad!

Reply Posted by Dean on Saturday February 4 2012 at 09:37
I agree it should be temprement but Pitbulls can just turn on people......but Sgt Crapper....I bet he didnt have it easy at school

Reply Posted by TC on Saturday February 4 2012 at 12:23
".but Sgt Crapper....I bet he didnt have it easy at school"  Reyt, proper PMSL!

Reply Posted by TC on Saturday February 4 2012 at 12:25
I can't abide dogs.  They're unpredictable, annoying & stink.  I don't however agree with this dangerous dogs malarkey, any breed can be a danger if treated the wrong way.  About time they started fining the pitbulls & putting down the owners.

Reply Posted by Dave on Saturday February 4 2012 at 18:22
one of the volunteers for BOMfest had their finger end bit off by a whippet whilst putting flyers through a letter box last year and when the council and police were informed they investigated the matter and because the dog had no previous history of being violent the injured party could not press charges and because the owner didnt have insurance the injured party couldnt claim from the owner....so my question is:
can a whippet bite someones finger off and get away with it but a breed of dog which hasnt bitten anyone be put down "just in case it might do"

people need to stand up for what is right and stop putting up with this politically correct liberalism gone mad which has stolen our nation from its people......wakey wakey

Reply Posted by Dave on Saturday February 4 2012 at 18:22

Reply Posted by tracey Butters Thompson on Saturday February 4 2012 at 22:44
we have rehabilitation centers for murderers, rapists and paedophiles !!!!
Obviously somebody thinks that these creatures can be rehabilitated? If this is the case - why not have these centers for dogs ?

Reply Posted by Cathryntrace on Sunday February 5 2012 at 09:11
It's a shame you don't like dogs. I always feel for people who don't have dogs. :) Each to their own, I guess.

Reply Posted by Marley on Wednesday February 8 2012 at 13:53
I'd just like to add on comment on this situation i know the person that as had the dogs seized, i also know the dogs. They are friendly and have never posed any danger to any of the surronding public. The family that own the dogs also have a small child that live with them. If they were vicious would they not have already been an incident given 1 of the dogs are well into adult age!

It's disgusting that the media portrait images into the public's mind! I agree with most comments its the DEED NOT THE BREED!

A rotwiellier as a more powerful bite than a pitbull  which is fact. It's irresponible ownership that leads to these

Reply Posted by Marley on Tuesday February 21 2012 at 12:58
I'd like to add another comment on this situation......

I find it disgusting that lovely healthy dogs have been siezed for no reason at all..... OH sorry there a banned breed for the human's cruel behaviour of using a beautiful breed for use of fighting for their own entertainment and profit.

Now these dogs have done nothing.... But its sad to say that a healthy young fit dog as died in the care of the police..... An animal that as done nothing wrong to anyone as lost its life for no other reason than the way she looked she was a 10 month old pup... with a good temperment and lively personality R.I.P

Reply Posted by Sam 1990 Stokes on Wednesday February 22 2012 at 03:12
Hiya guys just thort I'd let u no that I filed a complaint to the police about my dogs 16th this mounth and the day after a police rang me to inform me that my dogs where fine and well later on that day 4hours after I was told they wer well I got a knock at the door 2 police officers ce in and told me that one had died . They said that she had fell I'll , they took her to the vets and the vet sent her back to the kennels and she died . They won't tells how she died . And they didn't tell me yhat she was I'll ' she was extremely fit dog , I just don't under stand it thanks sam

Reply Posted by Mike Cotton on Thursday February 23 2012 at 11:41
Hi Sam, I'm a reporter for the Barnsley Chronicle and we'd like to do a story on this. Please could you call me on 01226 734290 or email me at mike.cotton@barnsley-chronicle.co.uk

Reply Posted by Kyrah on Thursday February 23 2012 at 15:45
Sam I'm so sorry for your loss R.I.P to your girl and I hope there's a full enquiry