Library Closure Earmarked For March

Friday January 24 2014

Library Library

THE CONTROVERSIAL plans to move Barnsley's town centre library are expected to go ahead in March.

Councillors are to meet within the next two weeks to rubber stamp a report that says the library on Shambles Street will close and will be temporarily be moved to Wellington Street.

The report says it is part of a £57 million town centre investment scheme that will eventually mean a new library for the town as well as a sixth form college.

If it is agreed by councillors it will mean the iconic library will close on March 21 and reopen at Wellington House on May 15.

A spokesman said: "There is a group of residents with strong opposition to the temporary move, who would prefer that the library remains in its existing location. Their views will be examined by councillors in full before a decision is made."

The final decision will be made by full council on Thursday, February 6.

Reply Posted by Lyn Fawcett on Friday January 24 2014 at 11:20
Why a temporary move?
Do you realise what is involved in moving a library?
I was a member of staff at the library for the last move, when it took two weeks to complete (much less stock involved then.)
Please wait until the new, permanent premises are ready so there is only one need to move.
It will save a lor of extra work.
And we all know how 'temporary' can sometimes become 'permanent.'
Shambles Street was a purpose built building, Don't take a backward step, and please think of the hard working staff.

Reply Posted by Lucy on Friday January 24 2014 at 11:24
There are thousands of people opposed to this! These councillors are not listening though, just steam rolling ahead with their plans. We only pay their wages after all! Hope people remember this when it's time to vote!!!

Reply Posted by Andrew on Sunday February 23 2014 at 16:40
There are also a lot of people in favor of this and have written to the council to support the decision.

Reply Posted by Dawn on Friday January 24 2014 at 11:37
Thank God people are starting to realise that these prats at the Council could't run a bath let alone a Council.

They won't be getting my vote that's for sure. I hope others follow.

Reply Posted by Andrew on Friday January 24 2014 at 12:01
why the heck was my post deleted?

Reply Posted by Caroline on Friday January 24 2014 at 12:07
I doubt very much that we will get a new library, Wellington House will be our library for years to come. Please don't give up fighting against the demolition plans, put your comments in an email to your councillors, they need to be reminded that they are there to represent the people of Barnsley. They may think the battle is already won but it certainly isn't.

Reply Posted by Ray on Friday January 24 2014 at 13:30
Sure it says in chron today another 4Million library will be announced next week. Not sure what 4Million buys you these days but none the less.

Reply Posted by MGMT on Friday January 24 2014 at 16:21
Another boarded up building for the Town Centre. How do.

Reply Posted by Jordan on Friday January 24 2014 at 18:47
I think the library should stay where it is until we get a new one. Surely it's going to cost more money to move it twice. It's also going to meen a lot of hard work. Can't wait until I am old enough to vote.

Reply Posted by Paul on Friday January 24 2014 at 19:45
6 feb town hall it wants a major demonstration ..there is nothing wrong with the building ,,over 13000 have signed a petition to keep it .. Let's keep it..

Reply Posted by hoyland red on Friday January 24 2014 at 20:09
So around 212,000 of the local populus didn't sign the petition, so get it flattened.

Reply Posted by G on Friday January 24 2014 at 21:01
Fiver says new library will be in disused floors of civic 18 million didn't complete that project so no chance of building a facility for 4.

Reply Posted by AlanB on Friday January 24 2014 at 22:48
I would like to know what other sites were considered by the Council for the new college. Have the Council revealed that information or is that something else which Sir Steve has hushed up.

Reply Posted by jim on Friday January 24 2014 at 23:18
Would it matter AlanB ? The council will do what ever there like. Not bothered if you me or anybody objects. Waste of space the council and why move the library twice wasting more money..

Reply Posted by hoyland red on Saturday January 25 2014 at 08:35
The Shambles St site was the preferred choice of the college. I haven't seen any other developers lining up to take over the site.

Reply Posted by Scott on Saturday January 25 2014 at 10:07
I honestly don't know why people cant just be happy that the council are trying to improve our town. Yes, a temporary move is messing about but ultimately, we're going to have a better library and a sixth form college that is going to look better than the decrepit old buildings that we have at the minute. If we want to improve the town in the long term, we have to make short term sacrifices. All these unemployed people that 'can't get a job' will be able to use the new library and sixth form facility without using the bullcrap excuse of not being able to travel because they dont get enough on their mass of benefits.
People need a reality check and think about the positives of this instead of being negative all the time.
Good move BMBC...I will be supporting it 100%!

Reply Posted by lucy on Saturday January 25 2014 at 12:00
They have earmarked 4 million to build a new library do you honestly think that amount will build us a library better than the one we already have??? That's MY MONEY! YOUR MONEY, OUR MONEY!!!

Reply Posted by lucy on Saturday January 25 2014 at 12:09
And can I just add that half of that amount was spent on refurbishing the existing library just 7 years ago! OUR money again! Now they want to demolish it!!! It beggars belief.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 25 2014 at 16:12
I said in a previous posts this is a done deal. I now have 100% guarantee this is outcome to move the library as already been rubber stamped by Sir Stevie and Co.

The gravy Train just keeps getting faster and faster. they don't care about public opinion and voters. They believe they are untouchable. And in Barnsley they are probably right.

People don't like change. However if we want things to change it starts with the voters today.

Reply Posted by lucy on Saturday January 25 2014 at 17:36
It's not over yet Kfc! lots of things are happening, If you want to get involved there will be a protest outside the town hall on Wednesday from 9.am onwards. These people are not untouchable just because they're in a position of authority. Far from it.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Saturday January 25 2014 at 17:49
It's over, join arms all you want, it' over.

Reply Posted by hilda on Saturday January 25 2014 at 19:28
lucy- This has already been sanctioned. Protests, marches,boycotts all in vein. will not make any difference. Sadly the council don't listen so im afraid you are wasting your breathe..

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 25 2014 at 19:34
@lucy I been all for democracy since they day I was born. I've always been a paid up trade Union Member until 6 months ago.

I object to my £12 per month Union Contributions paid towards the Labour Party.

There is no political Parties today that represent the Working Class's Elderley Sick and unemployed people of 2014.

Times has changed and since 2010 my attitude or politics has changed. MR Cameron and the Con Dems are right since taking office in 2010.

One thing has changed since 2010 my self and millions of our people have hd time to reflect on ALL political Parties. One thing for sure millions are waking up to see the lying cheating corrupt bar stewards that running this county.

So Lucy until we change Sir Stevie and Co lets face it his Knight Hood confirms my point.

Labour councillor Leader being awarded a Conservative knighthood ??????.

I don't need to say any more. the Libarys going sorry but a FACT?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 19:30
Kfc don't know what union you were with but you can sign a form to "opt out" of the union political fund that supports the (idiotic) Labout Party.

Reply Posted by kim on Saturday January 25 2014 at 17:49
oh yes it is.

Reply Posted by Paul on Saturday January 25 2014 at 19:42
Barnsley labour have already made there minds up to attract more students to barnsley , another 1000 they predict , but not barnsley people , more foreign students is there plan , see this new development is about generating money from central government , but it will also put more pressure on affordable housing , doctors , hospital , dentists etc, because all these students will not b able to commute into barnsley cause there's no room . An all these labour councillors who are making these decisions don't live in or care about town centre folk ..
Keep the library ... An if protesting doesn't work , use the ballot box ..

Reply Posted by Hoyland red on Saturday January 25 2014 at 20:22
Paul, what a load of scare mongering crap. The reason the college need more space is to accomodate the kids leaving school that would normally go straight onto the dole but will now not be able to as they have to remain in FE. Nothing to do with overseas students and a lack of housing, doctor appointments, etc.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 25 2014 at 20:28
Plus Hoyland Red,our kids need the FEducation,because many of the ones that have passed my way still can't read and write. I have had an "egge an bakon samwish " for my break one day.
I kid you not!

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Saturday January 25 2014 at 21:33
Sid, the problem is and it's evident on this site, is that some people, simply don't know how to spell. Everyone makes mistakes, some words are difficult to spell, but some of the basics are just missing like their, there and they' re and as for the text speak!!

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 25 2014 at 21:44
YES! the text speak is terrible. The trouble is though, I use text a lot and I must say I have to check my ordinary writing way too much now days. The kids are using it all the time so they will find it comes as natural I'm afraid. I'm thinking the normal written conversations ie.letters will soon be lost.

Reply Posted by Bob on Saturday January 25 2014 at 21:15
Paul you're talking rubbish, I work in higher education and I can tell you this. WE WISH 1000 more foreign students would come to barnsley, they pay up to 4 times the fees home students the top institutions 35 grand a year do your sums. Add to that the fact they would be contributing to the local economy and would not be allowed to claim a thing. Students are not even allowed into the country without proving they have the funds to live anyway and I think that's about 8 -10 grand. it's a sixth form that's getting built anyway so it's targeted at local school leavers. Barnsley needs good quality colleges for its own kids. This building will replace the decrepit old dss building on eastgate and will only provide an extra hundred places.

Reply Posted by Brian on Saturday January 25 2014 at 23:32
I agree that we need a new six form college. But does it have to be on Shambles Street and do we need to demolish a perfectly good building which is used as a library?

Reply Posted by Bob on Monday January 27 2014 at 10:12
Brian, you can see why the council want it, its so the college pay for the redevelopment of the whole area. It's part of their cutprice redevelopment plan, to get themselves reelected next year. Too little too very late as far as I'm concerened.

If what the council says they are going to do and do it everyone wins, college students, town centre redevelopment and library users. The problem is with their track record no one trusts them.

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday January 27 2014 at 19:07
Yes Bob, but at what cost?

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 25 2014 at 21:29
Good post @bob. Now get them learning the ABC, so I don't have to. Then I can get down to learning them the job in hand. Not being nasty,its true. I just wish the teachers would or could?? use their voice and tell the politicians that the basics are not sinking in!
Not meaning to tread on a minefield there,I'm not involved with teaching so don't know the curriculum, I just know some things missing.

Reply Posted by Caroline on Saturday January 25 2014 at 21:42
No one is objecting to the building of a new sixth form college. The point is why the Council thinks demolishing our library is the answer and why this is the only site they think is suitable despite the cost involved in a temporary move to Wellington House and then the cost of building a new library on a very small budget.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 25 2014 at 21:46
@caroline the council view is in your posts.You've said it all

Reply Posted by anonymous on Sunday January 26 2014 at 18:57
Look, it has been decided already to demolish it, they just tell people that they are having a meeting as not to spark a massive protest, but that library is doomed. Anyway that library needs up dating and how many people actually use it in a space of a week. Within the next two years Barnsley shall have a new shopping complex with a library in it, more modern and with more people using it. Just live with the fact that Barnsley is being upgraded for better purposes. this new six form that they are building will create jobs for builders, staff to maintain it and may even mean more tutors. This will have another impact because more students will be coming to Barnsley and spending money in our shops, so it generates a local economy. Do people in this town only think of the negatives and never the positives, yes we are losing and old building, but you weren't saying that when they were knocking the old Barnsley college down and replacing it with a more modern one.

Reply Posted by Lucy on Sunday January 26 2014 at 22:12
Lots of things are in the pipeline to prevent demolition, and lets face it, if you people don't attend these meetings, then you won't know. Believe it or not, there are regulations and channels EVEN THE COUNCIL have to go through, before anything is decided.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Monday January 27 2014 at 00:34
In the early seventies when I was very small my mum used to take me to the library. I think it was where the old Civic theatre was. I hope they don't knock the present library down. So many happy memories of the place. I remember reading Topsy and Tim books whilst sat on the red plastic seats in the Childrens library.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday January 27 2014 at 10:55
I have very fond memories of the library too, I remember the little white leather chairs and the lovely atmosphere. My children loved it,and I hope to take my grandchildren there. I don't want have to to take them to Wellington House in the middle of town surrounded by pubs and drinkers. and what about the late night openings? It will be totally spoilt by the surroundings. The library is just perfect where it is.

Reply Posted by Omg on Monday January 27 2014 at 10:58
Omg y don't ppl stop moanin n b grateful that we've got the fundin to help the appearance of our down trodden town. The current library is an eye sore n needs updating why r ppl so against our town been updated? IT BLOODY NEEDS IT! It's called keepin up with the times instead of the dark ages. All u ppl do is moan about thing u n ya petitions ain't ever guna change.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday January 27 2014 at 11:09
Where do you think this funding comes from? US! And why spend money on something that doesn't need it? I can think of many eyesores in this town, but the library isn't one of them. The budget for a new library is very small. and we have been told that it would have to be more substainable. That means CHEAPER and SMALLER. that's not improvement.

Reply Posted by Omg on Monday January 27 2014 at 12:22
It shud nt have a large funding for it libraries r in decline and in the next 50 yrs they'll b almost extinct it's called moving with the times, with technology moving on so fast the libraries r in rapid decline n a huge amount of money spending on it would defiantly b a waste of yes our taxes I for 1 would rather have taxes spent on something else more worth while that all of barnsley can enjoy and just the minority that uses the library

Reply Posted by Caroline on Monday January 27 2014 at 13:20
Libraries are about much more than reading and books, they are part of our community and serve a wide range of people of all ages and backgrounds. Barnsley Central library is very well used and loved. One of the points being missed is that demolishing this building was never in the initial discussions about building a new college, it was sneaked in along the way without any dialogue taking place with the people of Barnsley which is undemocratic. Why can't there be some frank and honest discussion with us about why this is now thought to be the ONLY possible site for the new college? Re- locating to Wellington House and then (maybe) to a new site is going to cost us a fortune, that's you and me mate who is paying. The sum being bandied about is a pittance for building a new library, it would lose a lot of facilities and probably lose it's separate children's library as they did in Wakefield not so long ago.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday January 27 2014 at 14:29
There is far from just a minority using Barnsley library, and especially since lots of local smaller libraries have closed, it is currently serving more people than ever before. And the bottom line is, the council should not be wasting taxpayers money on building a new library, when we already have one.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday January 27 2014 at 14:48
Not to mention the underhand totally corrupt way they have handled this.

Reply Posted by Rosie on Monday January 27 2014 at 18:55
I am part of the save our barnsley library campaign no we dont need the library moving temp to wellington house i ve used the library for over 30 yrs even when my kids were little nowt wrong with it stay put i cant see mothers elderly going to wellington house on late night opening near the famous wellington st pub culture we are forming a human chain around the town hall on weds 30th jan morning we show barnsley council and money does not buy anything think of your council tax bills i not vote for labour

Reply Posted by kate on Monday January 27 2014 at 20:00
the council did not want any kind of consultation as to the demolition of the existing purpose built library, they thought that they could steam roll their way ahead and that the people of Barnsley would roll over and accept it no questions asked. They only agreed to a consultation because they were forced into it. Sir Steve has moved dates and given misleading information to the people. Also they do not want us asking them questions directly about the plans, Strange that Barnsley College have been looking for a place to build a new college for several years, the library site until recently ( well after the discussions about library closures) was never on the list of proposed sites. So ,who allowed them to have the land and at what cost ? They say it is not central yet in their arguments to demolish it say it is central and that's what they want for the college. Do you really want to visit the town hall fountains and exploring barnsley museum with groups of youths hanging around ? I for one don't .. and I am a parent myself and would not want my children attending a college in the vacinity of so many pubs.
Barnsley council and Sir Steve need to start listening and stop pulling the wool over our eyes. How many failed promises are we going to let them make ?

Reply Posted by Ron on Monday January 27 2014 at 20:29
The new college will have a library... Imagine what kind of library it could be it it shared space and resources with a public library.

Reply Posted by Kate on Monday January 27 2014 at 20:34
The council were asked if the library could stay and the shops knocked down and the college built a floor higher than proposed ... The answer was no the reason given was that people had to be able to see the town hall clock from certain points of Barnsley !!!

Reply Posted by Rosie on Monday January 27 2014 at 20:47
Why dont the sixth form college move in john rideal house will have plenty of a view to see the famous town hall clock is that all the councillors think of town hall clock

Reply Posted by Blahblahblah on Monday January 27 2014 at 21:10
Libraries will be obsolete soon is knock it down wudnt waste putting a new 1 bk up either internet is the way forward

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday January 27 2014 at 21:16
That just goes to prove they can't even give valid, sensible reasons as to why they are not open to considering other sites for the college. Like you said, steam rolling ahead with their plans regardless. Well they certainly underestimated how angrily people would react to this.

Reply Posted by Bob on Monday January 27 2014 at 21:44
Kate you're out of order, the students that will occupy this building will be educated 16 - 18 year olds, not a bunch of chavvy asbo tear aways. Nice that you want people to sympathize with your argument whilst having a go at a party who so far have been given no consideration whatsoever - the students, the next generation of kid that may actually make a difference to this town.

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday January 27 2014 at 22:58
That's not right though is it Bob. Many of the sixth form college students will move away from Barnsley to attend college or university. The majority will not return. The remaining students will leave the sixth form college and be unable to find decent jobs in Barnsley. (as a direct result of the failings of Barnsley Council in attracting good companies to relocate to the area) We are then left with the less well educated youngsters in Barnsley. Sadly, we have enough of them already.

Reply Posted by Bob on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 10:10
So should we stop trying to educate in Barnsley then because there's no point. I came through the system and I work in Barnsley. Bit of a mute point that Bryan I'm afraid.

Reply Posted by Brian on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 11:39
No, we should not stop trying to educate young people. It was the last point in your post 'the next generation of kid that may actually make a difference to this town' that I picked up on. Let's be fair, there is very little to keep bright, responsible, well educated youngsters in our town. Barnsley cannot be described as 'the land of opportunity' and until Councillors and the well-paid senior officers 'get off their backsides and attract companies to the borough who are able to offer above average wages and salaries, there is just no hope Sadly our rulers in the town hall do not appear to fully understand that.

Reply Posted by Bob on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 13:48
Brian I totally agree on every point. If I had my choice I would sack the entire senior management at BMBC and withdraw their pensions due to professional negligence. What I think though is that just because we have been continually let down we should not seek to aspire or inspire the next generation to be something better.

I would like to think that the time of the current set of apathetic self serving champagne socialists will be out next election - lets face it nothing could be worse than what we've got now.

I am ever the optimist for Barnsley though despite BMBC seemingly doing their best to systematically destroy Barnsley over the last 30 years.

Reply Posted by Kate on Monday January 27 2014 at 23:00
Bob have you been near a large group of students ? I followed some the other day and the foul abusive language they used was out of order and the fact that they drop litter on the floor when walking passed a bin was amazing and before you say it no they are not all like that but the fact remains that you didn't fully read my post and are quick to jump on one comment ...

Reply Posted by Bob on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 10:20
Funnily enough Kate I have been near large groups of students - I work in Education and from experience I know that Sixth Form students tend to be amongst the best beheaved. So you followed some students and they used bad language, oh well all students must be bad then - that includes your kids in a couple of years, what will you do then? I did read the comment "Do you really want to visit the town hall fountains and exploring barnsley museum with groups of youths hanging around ?"

Nothing like sterotyping - and incorrectly too. How did you know they were students by the way? Young people have as much right to be in town as you do. Occasionally I have to put up with young mums and screaming kids in the supermarket but I don't have a go at every mum that's out there or the kids.

You just keep highlighting your prejudices with your desperate arguments - clutching at straws. I'd just like to point out the amount of revenue that students spend in town keeps some shops in business.

Reply Posted by steve32fdc on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 00:30
Knock down old library, get new "state of the art" college. Build new "state of the art" library. Sounds like a "no brainer" to me!

Reply Posted by AlanB on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 11:44
Keep existing relatively modern library. Build new sixth form college with a slightly smaller footprint, or elsewhere. Save about £4m. 'No brainer' to me!

Reply Posted by Miss.N on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 17:33
Hoyland Red, anonymous and Bob - yes, yes and more yes. I completely agree with you. What is it with Barnsley residents and change? So adverse to it yet moan that Barnsley is a shit hole. Can't have it both ways in afraid!

Reply Posted by Hisnibs on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 18:06
Why knock something down that serves the community well? waste of taxpayers money. And change for the better yes, but we will end up with a smaller library with fewer facilities.

Reply Posted by angerman on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 18:39
This was a foregone conclusion and all the signatures and protests by the people of Barnsley many of which actually voted this local labour goverment in AGAIN, will just have to put up with them riding roughshod over protestations etc until theyre replaced. But they won't be replaced, so cest la vie. And if the people don't realise this after 50 years then they deserve all they get. I signed the petition knowing full well it would be ignored and it seems i was right...well no surprises there. Demolish and be dammed !!

Reply Posted by Rosie on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 22:16
Well i will not vote labour and we protesters are forming a human chain around barnsley town hall tommorow morning so come on barnsley councillors listen to the voice and petitions people signed to save our barnsley library that all we protesters are asking for to stay put

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 22:29
@rosie has a life long Labour Supporter. You have to wake up it's not going to happen.

I applaud your belief but unless we remove the Barnsley Labour Gravy Train. Then nothing will happen.

Politics has changed and the working class is finally awakening.

50 years ago Local Councillors were proud to serve there communities.

Today they may sprout there good intentions. But local Councillors are worth F*** A**. They realise the gravy train is about serving the Council Executive party not Tom Dick or Harry greed is vile and Someday these Councillors will have a day to repent.

Reply Posted by Caroline on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 14:33
I'm all for the regeneration of Barnsley, a new sixth form college for our young people but why at the expense of knocking down a perfectly good library which has everything we need, is well used, easy to get to and is well loved by all ages. The library feels light and spacious, computers and study facilities and a lovely children's library. The Council as usual have taken the short view and are panicking about losing the funding the new college will bring, yet there has been very little investigation about other sites available, I believe only two were looked at and discounted without much evidence as to their unsuitability. Several suitable sites have been suggested but the Council with their tunnel vision has simply decided on one option and will not deviate from their plan whatever the majority of library users want which is not to demolish this building. The college being on the site of the present central library is only the preferred site, not the only site.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 15:20
Caroline, am I missing the point here, you keep referring to the council as though they are submitting the application, they're not it's the college. I'm sure if the site wasn't suitable for their purpose, then they wouldn't apply. So it's the college that would like that particular site and I hope the council agree. Time moves on, the existing building is too big for its purpose and not easy for everyone to get to!!!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 19:35
From my own personal point of view the building is an eyesore and wants knocking down, same goes for the rest of that row on Shambles Street.

Reply Posted by InsideRight10 on Thursday January 30 2014 at 02:22
It's a done deal for definite. BMBC are already sourcing an auctioneer to flog the art inside the library. It's already in the public domain via government contract website. The library in its current location and format is finished.

It quotes:

As part of a major town Centre re- development, the main Barnsley Central Library building will close on the 18th March with the library relocating on a temporary basis to other premises until a new library will open as part of the redevelopment.

This has brought about the requirement to sell pieces of art which were on display in the library.

Barnsley MBC is wishing to employ an auctioneer to assist in the sale of the paintings via an auction

Reply Posted by Penny on Thursday January 30 2014 at 14:22
Done deal up to now. There will be another meeting feb 6th where it has to be put before all the councillors. who knows? I know lots of them are against it.

Reply Posted by kfc on Thursday January 30 2014 at 14:31
Penny I wake up its 2014 Counxilors don't vote to support there constuency. The vote to tow the party line.

They say one thing to your face and another one in the chambers.

"They are all in this together"

Sadly it does not include Tom sick or Harry or even Penny.