Councillor Slams Green Belt Gypsy Encampment Plans

Monday January 27 2014

Cllr Tim Cheetham Cllr Tim Cheetham

A COUNCILLOR has slammed recommendations to grant planning to a gypsy encampment on green belt land.

There's already a single caravan on Grange Farm, Royston, but it's only permitted to be used for storage.

Cllr Tim Cheetham said: "It isn't a matter of whether it's a gypsy site or not - it's simply an inappropriate site for residential development of any kind.

"It's green belt land and it's just a scandal, plain and simple. It's been handled monumentally badly by the planning department.

"There's been dozens of letters of objection, and a petition signed by nearly 200 people.

"All three ward councillors are against it."

Cllr Cheetham said he had made enquiries throughout the planning process, and had been told by council officials in the planning department it was a 'bad application' and unlikely to progress.

The application went before the council's planning committee on Tuesday to vote on an application to grant permission for residential status.

However, that decision has been deferred until a site visit takes place.

A council spokesman said planners initially believed the applicant didn't meet the definition of 'traveller' and therefore didn't meet criteria for development on green belt land.

He said: "After consulting the education department and the council’s gypsy and traveller liaison officer, officers now consider there's sufficient evidence of a nomadic lifestyle."

If granted, permission will be for three years and then be reviewed.

Reply Posted by Tom on Monday January 27 2014 at 13:39
Only 200 have signed?

3000+ in Barnsley have signed a petition against the bedroom tax, and 13000+ have signed one against the library demolition.

We still have the bedroom tax, and the council seems determined to demolish the library.

Reply Posted by Nelly Beese on Monday January 27 2014 at 14:13
I'm thinking this is a case of not in the Councillor's backyard ....
Shame on you.

Reply Posted by Ima joke on Monday January 27 2014 at 14:29
I wonder if they will get white bags to separate the copper cable from the church lead

Reply Posted by sally on Monday January 27 2014 at 16:09
Seems nobody wants to give gypsies a place to settle. WHAT good is greenbelt land. Apart I dare say pretty. Whats up will it spoil someones view. WELL tough. Peopke need places to live. Make it a proper site with facilities.

Reply Posted by Charles on Monday January 27 2014 at 16:22
Build a labour camp complete with it's own railway sidings.

Reply Posted by sunshinegirl on Monday January 27 2014 at 16:26
Sally- i agree people need somewhere to live/call home so why don't travellers rent or buy a house and pay council tax like everyone else? or if they prefer caravan life set up home on a caravan site that only closes for a few weeks a year? Simple reason is its easy to travel around not paying bills and leaving the cleanup to the council or locals when they leave! I am generally a very open minded non judgemental person and I am definitely not racist or against anyone having a cultural belief, however the lack respect to the area's the travellers choose to live is infuriating. In addition to that how can a 'settlement' be built without water, and electricity? Is that not essential for families with young children? Who will pay for that doing, and the eventual water bills etc???

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday January 30 2014 at 11:50
Nothing is for free in life who pays for your bills yes that's right you do just like the people at grange farm pay there bills them selfs

Reply Posted by Tom on Thursday January 30 2014 at 11:59
There is a point to be made here. This sounds like somebody wants to built on there land. Not building a site for travellers here. I think people are going of track and the people may or not be of a travelling background..i don.t know the story 100%. but YES travellers do make a mess when there pitch up on fields etc..but this is not about travellers wanting to built a site on here..stick to the story and stop jumping the gun..

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday January 30 2014 at 15:09
Do you pay your own bills

Reply Posted by George Orwell on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:21
Is it a handy coincidence The Councillor resides in the same borough and the proposed 'Travelling' site ..... something stinks in suburbia !!!!

Reply Posted by Gobshite O'murphy on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:25
Also to add to Sally's misguided view I am trying to get on the property ladder and have been trying for the last three years. I would very much like to build my own house but finding a single plot of land which permits me to build a small house on it is very very expensive and you could easily spend £120k in Barnsley for a small plot. On the other hand i could pick an acre of agricultural land up for anywhere between £5k to £10k depending where it is in the country. Now do you think I could buy some green belt and stick a house on it to save myself a fortune and live in the countryside away from big estates?? Not flipping likely, it be infront of a judge in 10 minutes.
Maybe if I buy a transit tipper and rip a few pensioners off with a bit of drive tarmacing or upvc facia then hide all my money and don't pay any tax on it I might get away with it. End of the day how can you be a gypsy / nomadic if you stop in one place?
This is not something new it's been going on for years. No doubt after 10 years of occupation the planning status would be changed to residential development and someone will make a tidy profit?

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:25
@George Orwell, you have them then. The Cllr has a voice and is using it wisely for the benefit of the town as a whole.

Reply Posted by boston on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:25
Their is over 140 houses being built on the old school site in royston. if the travelers need somewhere too live !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by jamie on Monday January 27 2014 at 18:12
I agree Boston!

Reply Posted by Nelly Beese on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:28
But Sharon if the Cllr has a voice why doesn't he put it behind the majority who want to Save the Library rather than the minority who want to "save" their neighbourhood from decent hard working people who just happen to live an alternative lifestyle ( not swinging )

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:37
Because Nelly O'Inbreeding, he knows that it's a popular stance. Yes you are right to point out the difference in petition signatures but I'd be willing to bet that the 13k+ were militant and organised pensioners unaffected by gypsy filth but worried about their books. Young folk don't petition as a rule, or vote.. Hence BMBC/ LABOUR champagne socialists have unopposed absolute power. Absolute Powers Corrupts Absolutely, hence why we live in a tip of a town. Gypsies/Travellers WILL only make it more unappealing. Wake up

Reply Posted by George Orwell on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:39
@shaza ... Have them ?? Good God no !!! I live in a rather pleasant area and the last thing we need is that lot .... I'm a socialist tho , but one of those special kind that labour politicians become - the one where as soon as something effect me or something concerning me, my morals and ideals go out the window and I use every devious, under handed, treacherous trick to better myself while hiding behind the red flag ....

Reply Posted by Nelly Beese on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:45
Sharon not all travellers ( I won't sue the word gypsy ) are "filthy" - they get grants to keep themselves clean. I bet the good Cllr votes to give them grants, BUT only if they keep away from his constituency - who knows if he upsets his voter ( sic ) he may lose his seat and have to get a proper job!

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:46
Haha George, I understand. I've read the books. Some animals are more equal than others. Seems that the travelling types are too, along with New Labour and BMBC Pigs.

Reply Posted by Nelly Beese on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:50
Maybe with the right kind of ad spend from BMBC the area could be turned into a kind of Ingoldmells for travellers - it's not done Skeggy any harm has it? The additional local spend could then have a positive effect on the local economy and may generate enough cash to save the library. Thoughts?

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:51
Grants, to keep yourselves clean? Some of us work hard and pay heating and water rates, council tax and soap. My rates go to these 'people'. Yet I'll make have a say because my views oppose the liberal militant communists that continue to vote for the status quo.

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:53
Education yes, parasites no. Education is the key. Shame very little want it around here.

Reply Posted by George Orwell on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:55
@shaza I agree with you on the filthy bit - hence not wanting them around my patch .... My gated entrance would be lifted straight away !! .... Unfortunately Shaza we live in a country that listens to the minority to the detriment of the majority - eg, ask your councillor why his party wont have a vote on Europe ? nothing to do with curtailling those cushy tax payers trips to Brussels - no doubt the good councillor has been on a few to see his mate Kinnock (I hate ginger people Shaz ) ....

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday January 27 2014 at 17:59
Labour meant Labour then. Now it stands for Doleys and minorities to the degradation of the indigenous working class.

Reply Posted by George Orwell on Monday January 27 2014 at 18:02
@shaza ..... I think we were made for each other - If you look as good as you talk, we could have a blast...... we could take over the councill and use it for the greater good - like saving the library ....... at the moment its just a old boys labour club - all of them looking after themselves ....... Are you with me Shaz ?

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday January 27 2014 at 18:06
I'm with you. 'The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history'

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday January 27 2014 at 18:19
In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Cameron and Millibland are 2 cheeks of the same arse. BMBC could be described as other items of a male's anatomy.

Reply Posted by George Orwell on Monday January 27 2014 at 18:19
@shaza ... forget Daz, he's no wordsmith !!!! ( although i do agree with you Daza ! )

Reply Posted by Loadsa Yourmoney on Monday January 27 2014 at 20:04
Listen here you chaps there's no point in one deriding these people after all I don't pay any tax and the old polo ponies need some where to graze after all we are all in this together praise be to Saint David anyways the old dear needs her drive tarmacing for her roller and who better to do it than these chaps after all I know how it feels old dears to be ostrisised I'm a banker so please let my people go

Reply Posted by Angry on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 00:10
The council make places for these people to stay fine, but it's all coming out of our money they don't pay council tax or put anything back, be fair .

Reply Posted by Wing nut on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 01:01
When it comes to voting time I will be asking if they are in favour of these scivers and dirty people and if they are they won't get my vote any councilor who thinks they should be allowed in Barnsley don't deserve to be elected, they are costing us rate payers thousands of pounds that could be better spent on other things to benefit those who pay, the council don't even charge them for cleaning up the mess and shite they behind

Reply Posted by Gerber on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 11:42
I don't remember the aforementioned Councillor being quite so vocal/against the prior locations suggested by the planning department. In fact he was extolling the virtues of government grants and other funding that would be available from other suggested developments in the past...

Amazing how someone's opinion on such matters can change completely when things are brought much closer to home.

The hypocrisy from Councillor Cheetham is quite unreal.

At the same time-I feel for local residents and tax payers in Royston and the surrounds. House prices, businesses, investment and development in that area will inevitably be effected.

Reply Posted by AlanB on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 11:46
It wouldn't be allowed to happen in Cudworth. I wonder why.

Reply Posted by Nelly Beese on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 12:07
Exactly my point Gerber - travellers are great, BUT not when it comes to affecting my vote and feathering MY nest. You've got to love the double standards of Labour. As it's always been said if Labour put a DONKEY up in Barnsley it would get in - step forward Councillor Eyore Cheat'em

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 17:59
Oh for God sake-Grange Road Farm isnt guna be a bloody gypsy camp. You all moan abart lack of housing especially council properties. If the council were knocking 100 houses up on that land you'd all be buzzing especially the people who have been on the housing waiting list for years! You'd all be jumping on the band wagon putting your names down for the houses! But someone buys a bit of land and wants to build a little house on there for themselves n clean the place up and you're,up in arms about it. Give it rest!!!

Reply Posted by ))))+)))) on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 20:52
So it's just a single dwelling that's going on the land then?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 22:21
I think you have all missed the most important think in this post:

"council’s gypsy and traveller liaison officer"

Is that some sort of a sick joke?

I wonder how many more people the council employ in "non jobs" ?

Reply Posted by JT on Thursday January 30 2014 at 08:50
I worked alongside traveler liaison officers. BMBC employed 3 at one point maybe more now @ £30000 per year.

They have a lot of influence in decision making for travellers.

The travelers that I've experienced run rings around them.

Reply Posted by Nic on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 22:53
STEVEO, I agree, ridiculous. BMBC Communists. Champagne Socialists, pandering to every single minority whilst alienating/ignoring the indigenous, TAX-PAYING, working folk. But as always, they'll be voted in again. This' what happens when there's no competition. Folk would vote for Jimmy Savile or Gary Glitter if they sported the Red Rose in Barnsley!!

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 23:11
))))➕)))),
yes, there's only a single dwelling going on there. Grange Road Farm and its land is bought and paid for fair and square. The owner has applied for planning as they want to build a house for their family and have land for their horses-what's wrong with that? Im not saying that they aren't travellers but they are NOT 'bad' people. They both work bloody hard, pay their way and don't do dodgy drive tarmacking. But as usual people are stereotyping folk....the folk on Grange Road should be pleased that they are going to tidy the place up to be honest.

Reply Posted by me again on Wednesday January 29 2014 at 23:23
1 dwelling has got to be better than 100 especially in Royston!
Theyre throwing up houses all over but there's nowt in village! No jobs, not enough shops...we need job opportunities and some better shopping facilities (they were meant to be building a supermarket on the old comp site but that's gone down the swanny like everything else in Royston...)

Reply Posted by Foookem hall on Thursday January 30 2014 at 08:16
Haha...councillor cheetham is not against the gypsy community setting up base in Royston,he is simply against them using green belt land. Such a shame he didn't take the same stance about the land on lee lane Royston which barnsley council have planned to turn into industrial units or the compulsry purchase of brown belt land on Royston lane used to build an ofsted failing school. Nor can I recall Joe public being given the opportunity to purchase a small plot of land where the old school stood. That's 140 plots of land .. perhaps councillor cheetham can explain his double standards ?

Reply Posted by Gerber on Thursday January 30 2014 at 08:28
If that is the case then I stand corrected.

Forgive my ignorance, but if it is to be a site of single dwelling-like a house for example-why is the planning application for a gypsy/traveller site?

Reply Posted by Fookem Hall on Thursday January 30 2014 at 08:53
Yes cheetham is

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday January 30 2014 at 10:54
Gerber,
The term 'traveller site' is just that-a term. Whether it is a single dwelling or a full bloody campsite, it still gets referred to as traveller site because travellers (whether it be 1 or 100) will be living there. I've met the applicant and she is the nicest woman you could wish to meet. She's smart, well turned out and not at all what you'd expect. At the mo another lady is using the land for her horses and chickens etc. People have presumed that she is the applicant and a traveller as she drives a transit van and has long dark hair (see, there's people stereotyping again) She is not a traveller but is good friends with the applicant. The applicant, being the OWNER of the land, lets the lady use the field for her horses etc-which is fair enough seeing as she legally owns it. Unfortunately the poor woman who now uses the land has been persecuted by all and sundry on Grange Road she's had fireworks fired at her barn, hay and stables, people trespassing on the land, people letting her horses loose and she's just got on with it rather than running to the council and complaining. She's a lovely woman too but only a handful of grange road residents have had the guts to speak to her. Those that have know she's lovely
if planning does go ahead which i hope it does, it will still be used as green belt in a way COs they will be keeping animals on there, so really staying as a farm.

Reply Posted by herewegoagain on Thursday January 30 2014 at 14:14
The applicants are travellers but not your stereotypical-live-in-caravan travellers. They have bought the land and want to build themselves a nice little place on there with their little kids so whats the problem? They are nice people, seriously.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday January 30 2014 at 14:43
Well said just let them get on with it they own there land and pay there own bills have people no brains to be saying who's paying the bills no one pays yours so what makes you think there bills are for free

Reply Posted by Ant on Thursday January 30 2014 at 15:20
@anon

If it's just a "term" when registering a request fot potential development could anyone doing this place a term on that request as they see fit? Like "palace" "castle" or "holiday camp"...

Why is it not registered as a household? Am I missing something??

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday January 30 2014 at 15:47
Ant yes you can and its land not a household

Reply Posted by Ant on Thursday January 30 2014 at 17:23
So why register the land as a gypsy and traveller site if it's just as easy to register it as land for homes and property? Is it going to be used as a gypsy and traveller site in future? Or just for a family to live on with chickens, horses etc?

Not being pedantic-I just don't understand why you'd register it as one thing and use it for completely the opposite.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday January 30 2014 at 18:39
It's not for housing it for a gypsy family and most gypsy family's live in caravans if all you people look at the planning that's been put forward you will see that it clearly says gypsy plot for one family to live in the caravan that's already there and to tidy the rest of the site up don't know what the problem is with all the people on grange road I my self have been round the backs of grange road and they tip there rubbish as its there own land when it's not its councils land who's the skip rats and scum now like some of you have been saying

Reply Posted by Ant on Thursday January 30 2014 at 18:49
Ok. That answers it I suppose.

Reply Posted by Fookem Hall on Thursday January 30 2014 at 23:07
Live and let live that's what I say...my issue is with councillor cheetham getting all high and mighty about " green belt " land. Perhaps the land has been ear marked by barnsley council for compulsry purchase sometime in the not so distant future ..? Councillor cheetham has achieved what he set out to do and a smoke screen has been created to divert us away from the councils true intentions...we are arguing amongst ourselves while the fat cats lick the cream of their fat faces.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 09:53
Well said fookhem hall!
Also, I didn't see councillors stepping in to stop the sale of green belt on Lee Lane....
People have had their horses up there for years and now they are having to find alternative "homes" for their poor animals. Makes me mad cos the man who's building on there has got a wife who owns horses. They should know how hard it is these days for people to find grazing etc for them.
They are pi**ing and moaning about green belt land on Grange Road when really they don't give a crap-its simply because they don't want travellers in their 'back yard' so to speak.
If the council were to have got that land they would have built on in it the blink of an eye and put 2 fingers up to green belt land.
I never know people could be so petty minded and mean. Makes me wonder what kind of world were bringing our kids up in. Leave the travellers be, they aren't hurting anyone. When all said and done they are only human.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 10:00
I also have been round the back of grange farm and its true, its used as a dump it site by some residents. There are old sofas, rubbish, piles of wood. No doubt the travellers have been blamed for it though...its a case of pot calling kettle. Bloody hypocrites!

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 10:49
Well said Leanne

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 10:55
Nothing said about Alan Clayton's land getting built on other side of lee lane it's just the gypsy thing people don't like nothing to do with green belt

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 12:56
This is getting really boring now (yawn). Leave the travellers alone, they aren't out to hurt anyone, what will be will be but i hope they do get planning

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 13:53
Will you stop going on about planning its just a change of use its not for a house to be built only to use the caravan that's already there look at the planning that's been put in and stop going on over nothing and all you people on grange road that's been name calling the gypsys won't to take a look round the backs of your own homes of the stuff some of you have been dumping and burning I my self have been and seen it lol lol you not so fast at reporting your selfs for your wrong doings get your selfs a life

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 14:06
I thort planning and gone in for a utilities thingy? That's wat ppl mean by plannin i think

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 14:20
Utilities maybe but that's no house or dwelling people who's all going on about this are all too quick at judging the gypsys will say it again look at the planing for your selfs its easy I had a look and understand what they are wanting to do

Reply Posted by Lol on Friday January 31 2014 at 14:31
Would rather see houses on that land than them sort of people grange road needs to get together and lobby for housing not a gypsy site come on grange road

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 31 2014 at 14:35
I know what it,means by planning. I think everyone got wrong end of stick. People are trying to stick up for the travellers (bout time) cos they started to realise that they aren't no trouble but at same time they are getting wrong end of the stick. I think everyone's getting wrong end of stick to be honest. Some think there's going to be 100s of caravans on there, some think theyre buildin houses for the travellers but both you and me know that the place is getting cleaned up and looking nice and a utilities block etc. But its right what we've said about grange rd folk, quick enough to dump their rubbish and blame it on travellers but wont take blame themselves for their own wrong doings.they have fires and allsorts down there don't they?

Reply Posted by Fry on Friday January 31 2014 at 18:52
Travellers are one thing. Planning is another. Royston is a place.

I wish people using this site used could use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. Says a lot about some of the people that try to comment on these threads...

Reply Posted by BMBC on Sunday February 2 2014 at 10:33
If the people of Royston and grange road would like to see grange farm remain the same maybe it would be a good idea for them to get together and buy it for them selfs to do as they please with it they could also use it as there dump it site instead of dumping round the backs of there homes that's on council land sick of them going who tells them what they can and can't do in there homes

Reply Posted by anon on Monday February 3 2014 at 14:55
@BMBC....LMAO! Grange Farm is run down but when it gets cleaned up id love to see their (Grange Road residents) faces. They will wonder what all the palaver was about. I wonder who will be first to go and see the travellers to comment how nice it looks when its all done? I wonder if the travellers will be making a better path up to the farm, u know the path between the houses? The residents WILL be pleased about that! They will see that it wont be all that bad having travellers in their back gardens....

Reply Posted by Brian ward on Sunday December 6 2015 at 22:41
Decision was made well before anyone complained! !! As usual.
As for Lee Lane planning it's not what you know it's who ya know!!
4 failed attempts to get it through then bingo it gets full approval.
New vauxhall cars all round in Royston . See if you can spot em!!