Butcher's Pork Pies Talk Of The Town

Wednesday January 22 2014

WHO makes Barnsley's best pork pies? Butcher Percy Turner has people in a queue for his!

He doesn't want to shout too loud about it, though.

"If we got any more trade I don't think we could cope," said Percy, 67, who runs Turner's on Church Street, Jump.

There are over 1,400 members of the Percy Turner's Pork Pie Appreciation page on Facebook, which claims they're the best pies in the country.

More than 900 people have seen a spoof advert on YouTube, based on the famous 'not just' Marks and Spencer adverts.

You can watch that by clicking here.

Percy said: "We get people coming from all over the place. It's all word of mouth - we don't even advertise."

Last week marked a year since the horse meat scandal, but Percy says his trade has remained strong because his customers know he uses fresh local meat.

"We still buy livestock," he added. "We don't deal with anything processed.

"What you buy in our shop today was probably walking yesterday."

Reply Posted by yum on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:04
They are the best, no question.

Reply Posted by e jones on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:06
no need for comments percy turner,s pies speak for themselves

Reply Posted by Danny on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:07
The best round ere top butchers need more staff lol

Reply Posted by Teri on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:07
I need to try!

Reply Posted by nw on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:11
speedys at monk bretton nice pies also

Reply Posted by Alan Lee Elsworth on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:16
Speeds monk bretton are very good pies too

Reply Posted by Lee Aiken on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:25
Speedys all the way.

Reply Posted by rob lyman on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:30
Elmhursts on main rd goldthorpe very good pies

Reply Posted by liz on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:31
can not get better eny were

Reply Posted by Jack on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:32
Browns butchers opposite kings head at mapplewell. only open thursday, friday and saturday.

Reply Posted by jan on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:37
TURNERS all the way for pork pies, n believe me ive been in the queue waiting for his pork pies. and when family come from other side of pennines, they don't go home till theyv been to turners for pork pies to take home.

Reply Posted by rad on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:37
percy turners ya set of loons....

Reply Posted by ang on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:50
yes they are the best, unfortunately I havent had one for 3 years now cos I cant get em in Kent............

Reply Posted by Pie Eater on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:52
Brians on Agnes Rd and Charlesworths, Doncaster Rd. Supreme winners without a doubt.

Reply Posted by piefan on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:59
Gotta be Turners cos lots of other butchers buy his pies and sell them too

Reply Posted by Julie on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 17:18
Definately the best by far x

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 17:25
they must be good cos i dont like pork pie but love his with pickled onions we go every week

Reply Posted by Gavin on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 17:49
Got to be percy turners definitely

Reply Posted by natalieetheridge on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 18:03
We are originally from wombwell and we travel from blackpool for percy Turner pork pies they best by far

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 18:21
Not tried these pies,but Jamie Atwood's Royston are lovely. In fact all his stuff is lovely.

Reply Posted by LV on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 18:59
I am a pork pie fiend!! I couldn't live without them! I've heard wonderful things about Mr Turner's pork pies, but have never had the pleasure of trying one!!

Reply Posted by wanko on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:40
and they wonder why barnsley is full of overweight people.

Reply Posted by ... on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 20:07
They should just ban everything you don't like, and everyone should act and behave as you ask.

Reply Posted by florence leach paling on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 20:18
percy turners pies best in south Yorkshire you ant had a pie till you try told percys pies jump lass born n bread!

Reply Posted by matt on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 21:56
Silverwoods at cudworth Percy turners are too perfect not enough love in them you carnt bet a dark bottom

Reply Posted by Tatty on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:11
Albert Hirsts were the best pork pies full stop.

Reply Posted by philip taylor on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:17
savoury pies used in some high class restaurants in yorkshire

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 23:08
Grandma's home made pork pies are the best

Reply Posted by Martin English on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:43
From Tarn.. Living in The Philippines. Gagging for a growler!!

Reply Posted by Gillet on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:45
Ginsters 280g-Jet Garage at Birdwell

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday January 23 2014 at 12:55
I prefer Sainsburys own brand tbh.

Reply Posted by Graham Walker on Thursday January 23 2014 at 13:45
I Used To Buy Them From A Place At Dodworth Called The Barn Butchers. Gorgeous Especially When They Were Still Warm. They Not Been Same Since They Got A Different Butcher In Shop. So Back To Percy's It Is

Reply Posted by J on Thursday January 23 2014 at 14:29
Elmhurst butcher, Goldthorpe. best ever pork pies, even does them with black pudding in

Reply Posted by kev on Thursday January 23 2014 at 16:59
never tried them but the best iv tried for quality and consistentcy are home farm bakery lundwood cudworth monk Bretton ect

Reply Posted by wanko on Thursday January 23 2014 at 18:11
that advert looks horrible with all the jelly inside the pork pie. i feel sick now.

Reply Posted by addy on Saturday January 25 2014 at 23:22
Speed butchers for me

Reply Posted by Me on Sunday January 26 2014 at 13:07
These Pork Pies Are The Best. Glad I Live Just Down The Road. I Will Soon Be The Size Of A House :-/

Reply Posted by Andy pieman white on Sunday January 26 2014 at 13:24
Asdas own brand all the way

Reply Posted by bob on Sunday January 26 2014 at 15:19
i eat them mucky ones on doncaster road

Reply Posted by Phil on Sunday January 26 2014 at 16:42
Percy's aren't the best, but they are tasty. The best pies ever, fact, ever, were from Hector Ellis in West Bretton. However, he has been closed a number of years and since then it's been sort of a mission to discover a replacement for the Hector pie. The nearest I've come to is the butchers on Sheffield Road in Worsbrough just below the traffic camera. I can't for the life of me remember his name. Anyway they are a filled with course minced pork, unlike Percy's finer blend. The pastry is crusty and amazing. Denis Speed's to me come second and Percy, maybe third. A tip after you have purchased your pie. Never fridge them, the pastry will go soft.
Just my opinion.

Reply Posted by Alan Whittaker on Sunday January 26 2014 at 19:36
Phil. That Would Be Park Road Butchers. It Is Run By Phil Moxon And His Wife. A Very Tasty Pie I Agree.

Reply Posted by bob on Monday January 27 2014 at 16:27
i had one from wombwell was like eating bolserwood and sawdust

Reply Posted by Michele on Tuesday January 28 2014 at 14:40
Gray's pies at Brampton were the best made from 1926 to 1976

Reply Posted by Geoffrey Brown on Tuesday March 18 2014 at 04:53
I live in Australia but was back in Worsbrough Dale were I was Born I had Pork Pies from the Butchers in Sheffield Rd Down from the camera on the left side going down towards the CUT My Brother Dennis Brown Introduced me to them and the very large meat & Potato pie in a box with grave is to die for I my the DALE & BRIG the CUT & the REZ were i fished as a Kid I love Australia here sin 1971 its bin 45 years here worked very hard made a great life for me and my family Dennis is the Invalid Guy that gets around in a mobility scooter and hes a keen Angler fishes a lot on the CUT and the REZ miss him a lot its been two years now and not herd a word from him or phone call or on Facebook any one from Dale of Brig want to contact me am on facebook Geoff Brown X Barnsley Main Boy Cheers Geoff my email AD is > gbst1300@gmail.com ...

Reply Posted by andrew talbot on Wednesday August 6 2014 at 21:59
Agree..Hector Ellis pies on Bretton Lane...near YSP and Bretton Hall.were the best ever....My replacement for them are the Traditional.pork pies from the Blacker Hall Farm Shop....

Reply Posted by ron on Wednesday May 25 2016 at 16:27
I was at a funeral yesterday and was given one of your pork pies it was the finest I have ever tasted . being a chef for over 40years I cannot believe these pies are not sold world wide ill be back for more even with a 200 mile journey all I can say is fantastic

Reply Posted by Irene on Friday June 10 2016 at 20:44
by far the best pies, my son Paul's request to have them shipped to London for equal pride of place along side his wedding cake in two weeks time is testament to this long standing traditional Jump pork Pie.. His wife to be Clare ( a southern lass ) is a total convert, every time he visits from London to Sheffield we have to take a trip over the border to get his favourite Percy Turner Pork Pies... can't fault him.

Reply Posted by Ian Barker on Friday June 10 2016 at 22:40
Fantastic pies, every time you have them

Reply Posted by RMarshall on Friday July 29 2016 at 17:25
Do you make square pork pies

Reply Posted by Eric Payne on Tuesday November 15 2016 at 15:18
Are you old enough to remember Coppin's (arcade) or Albert Hirst's (several shops & most pubs) or John Wilson's (Gilroyd). If yours are as good as any of these I will buy some. I live in Spain and France where pork pies are very thin on the ground to the point of none existence. In the order stated (out of ten) 10, 7, 6.
Ask anybody who remembers Coppin's

Reply Posted by steve newton on Sunday December 11 2016 at 22:24
Been loads of times the best pork pie ever tasted keep up the good work .

Reply Posted by norma roberts on Friday December 30 2016 at 13:51
they are the best pork pies I have tasted they are just like the ones when ai was a young woman I do not seem to be able to get them anywhere in Rotherham I have been getting them from Thorpe Farm shop in high green but they did not have them at Christmas is there anywhere in my area where I could get them from
thankyou