News » WAB Debate

What's The Longest You've Had To Wait To See A Doctor? - WAB Debate

Wednesday January 22 2014

SOME people living in the Dearne have had to wait almost two weeks to see a doctor, according to a report.

The study - which took place over the last year - asked Dearne residents about their community and services that were available to them.

The results emerged this month to reveal a high percentage of people struggled to get to see their doctor with 37 per cent of people in Thurnscoe flagging it as a problem.

The report said: "The main reasons given as to why access to GPs was an issue was that patients are struggling to access appointments along with the lack of communication between staff and patients, which is considered quite negative at times."

Of the people questioned, some said it was impossible to get doctor's appointments when you work and others said even when you were really ill you sometimes had to wait two weeks for an appointment.

What do you think? We'd love to hear your comments in the box below.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 15:18
I wonder how many serious illnesses occurred in the over 75s attributing to their deaths?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:35
37.75% to be exact, but, irrespective of that figure what has your question got to do with doctors appointments in the Dearne area?
Tit!

Reply Posted by Chloe on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 15:19
Two weeks? I phoned hoyland doctors on the 2nd January and the earliest I could get was 17th February. And that was for my one year old daughter. That's over a month of having to cope with a chest infection that she ended up in hospital with last week.

Reply Posted by sally on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 15:22
It's normal to wait so long . I have the opinion now that if its so bad it will be a&e and if I need advice I will go see a pharmacist.

Reply Posted by Jane on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 15:25
I rang docs and it took 4wks to get an appointment even when doc wanted to see me the following wk the receptionist think they're the doctors at times its flipping annoying

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 15:26
Only the dearne I think not!! The doctors on Huddersfield road are just as bad and the one on Rotherham road and I don't think any doctors surgery takes into account that some people work 9-5 when they will only give an appointment in those times it's ridiculous

Reply Posted by cp on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 15:45
Hoyland medical have been brill since we moved there if my son has been ill they have seen him that day. My only issue is the receptionists attitude think they know everything.

Reply Posted by mr brown on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:32
ive recently moved out of the area and the doctors surgery here is great you call up make a request to speak to the doctor and within a couple of hours the doctor calls back and decides on if he just needs to do you a prescription if you need nothing ir if they need to see you then if they need to see you they give you an appointment same day. its a much better system and means no long waits and less doctors time wasted.

Reply Posted by Marie on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 17:52
The Goldthorpe / Thurnscoe practice is totally prejudiced against working people! I can't even book an appointment for the future and am told to be on the phone at 8am to get an appointment for that day......at 8am I'm already at work and cannot use my phone! The practice has caused me so much stress over the years that I need to see a doctor about it!!! Ha ha bloody ha!

Reply Posted by sallty on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 21:21
Same here I have to ring surgery at 8am for a same day appt. Problem was it was constantly engaged when I did get through all the appts. for that day had gone. Although I spoke to the receptionist, who spoke to the doctor. and I waswritten a script to pick up. I have COPD my chest is bad. If I am no better in 2 or 3 days its a&e. Think I will go there in future because trying to get an urgent appt. is virtually impossible. GP appts are ok for routine stuff, blood results etc. When you are ill you need the doctor asap. Feel sorry for you marie.

Reply Posted by Suz on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:13
I use the docs at Goldthorpe and they are brill for me and the kids. If they are poorly, they are seen the same day no matter what time I ring.

Reply Posted by Terry price on Friday January 24 2014 at 16:52
I'm lucky hbp Lund wood brill phone you back get you in if needed late night Thurs 7-30 for ppl that work very helpful indeed two off my lads are changing

Reply Posted by Beth on Friday January 24 2014 at 18:26
At our doctors you have to ring at 8:30 to make an appointment how do you know your going to need a doctor on a morning and not everyone can ring at that time people do work at that time

Reply Posted by viz on Sunday January 26 2014 at 15:20
At the Darfield surgery it is commonplace to have to wait up to 2 weeks for an appointment with a regular doctor, all the others are locums who stay for a few weeks then leave. The receptionists tell you the computer only covers the next fortnight when trying to make a follow up appointment and to phone back in a week or so. I can solve that problem, ditch the computer and use a diary love.