Fifth Of Year Six Pupils Obese, Report Claims

Wednesday January 22 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

ALMOST a fifth of year six children in Barnsley are classified as obese.

The alarming figures were revealed as part of Public Health England's 'health profile' for Barnsley, which gives an overview of health across the borough.

Figures show up to 19 per cent, which is 404 year six children aged ten and 11, are classed as obese.

However, this is still slightly lower than the England average of 19.2 per cent.

The report also states that deprivation in Barnsley is higher than the England average, with 75,364 people and 10,700 children living in poverty.

Estimated levels of adult ‘healthy eating’, smoking and obesity are all worse than the England average, as are smoking-related deaths and hospital stays for alcohol-related harm.

It follows news that Barnsley is set for a cut in funding under the government's new health funding formula.

This change in formula means more deprived and unhealthy populations like Barnsley will be given less funding to tackle health inequalities.

Michael Dugher, the MP for Barnsley East, said progress is being made but more needs to be done.

He said: "I'm concerned that the changes to the Clinical Commissioning Group funding formula, which will mean a real terms cut for Barnsley, will make it much tougher to tackle inequality.

"The good progress that's been made in Barnsley is at risk due to the government's funding formula changes and their deep cuts to local services."

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 15:34
Poor education, poor parenting, fast food outlets and lack of exercise.

Have I missed anything?

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 15:48
Nailed it

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 15:44
....of course Michael Dugher doesn't mention the ACTUAL problem, which to most with half a brain can see, but instead simply wants to "blame the government"

Did the government in Parliament make tracks for numerous Gregg's, KFC, McDonalds and fish and chip shops crammed into such a relatively small area to flood the population of Barnsley with? No of course not.

Does David Cameron force feed the fat kids with junk food? No.

It's actually cheaper to eat healthy than it is to buy this rubbish, but then many folk are too lazy and stupid to consider it an option. And so the problem continues......

Reply Posted by cp on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 16:08
Completely agree with richard on this
parents need to realise they are shortening their childrens lives by stuffing them with rubbish

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 17:30
I love cooking fresh for my kids as you know what your putting in it. As for kiddies getting a poor diet, yes I do think it is down to lazy parents as some have been working all day and quick trip to mcds or other fast food drive through is a lot easier than cooking up spag bol or shepherds pie etc.... I cook my meals the night before so I just pop it in oven when I get back from work and picking kids up from school, give a hour so bish bash bish real good nosh. Not hard.

Reply Posted by Ray on Thursday January 23 2014 at 15:44
Lauren I agree with you on the fresh being better for your kids, but you're a bit misguided in saying you know what you're putting in your meals. Unless you are rearing and growing the stuff yourself. Vegetables are sprayed with all manner of things and cattle are have a lot of hormones and the like put into them as well, you also don't know what is picked up in transit and what has been added to your fresh food to keep it that way.

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 17:52
I completely agree with you Richard.

Reply Posted by .... on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 17:56
Yeah, funnily enough.

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 18:38
Maybe if the council stopped giving permission for so many rubbish shops to open we wouldnt have half the problem,in goldthorpe there are more takeaways than anything else its ridiculous. The council could help by refusing permission to anyone asking to open one.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 18:47
Well Sarah, you're right!

Who runs the Council? Labour

Who is blaming the government? Labour.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:27
Highest proportion of people living in poverty since the 1800's, benefit sanctions never seen before since the inception of the welfare state, wages DOWN 12% since the Tories were elected, one of the highest unemployment rates for a town of our size in Western Europe.
Is it any wonder?

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:32
Employment at highest rate and unemployment at lowest rate since before Labour left power. Over 1m new jobs created.

Go on, bring up ASOS and their zero hours, I know you're itching to..... but its been said on here by employees that if they work hard, they get a contract..... don't work hard, then lose job......simples!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday January 23 2014 at 09:27
Why not mention the bedroom tax?
The bedroom tax is a highly divisive cruel piece of legislation aimed at the poorest people in society.
The Tories told us all disabled people would be exempt but it is evidently clear they are not exempt.
The Tories knew full well that there would never be enough smaller properties to move into.
Housing benefit (as well as tax credits) are the fastest growing benefit since the inception of the welfare state and the latest figures show that 30 odd % of people claiming housing benefit are people that WORK.

Yes I TOTALLY agree that Labour have ruined our town, you obviously don't read my posts thoroughly.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday January 23 2014 at 14:29
1 Million new jobs created? nah I don't think so.

2.34 Million unemployed and only 569,000 vacancies.

Reply Posted by craig on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 18:57
How is it education? Message is constantly reinforced and the children are fed nutrious meals with very few chips etc Parents are to blame not schools. Government cutting funding to health but protecting banker's bonuses - all in it together

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:21
What has the government cutting funding to health got to do with plain old common sense. Dont go to fish shop every day, dont use your deep fat fryer every day,keep sweets to once a week as a treat. Fruit bags from asda are cheap enough to give as a substitute, dont get me wrong we eat rubbish when were on holiday but not in everyday life.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:32
I wouldn't mind if it tasted nice. The chips are crap,the pizzas are soggy squeezey fatty stodge, its cold when you get it.
We had sweet treats after tea,nothing in between apart from fruit. Eat like a pig,look like one! Easy.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:29
I agree sid, I feel dirty if I eat fish and chips, and kebabs, blurghh don't even get me started!

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:35
Craig, kids aren't educated properly regarding health (which is evidenced by the number of obese kids in Barnsley). Parents and schools need to work together. Lib Dems introduced free school meals in an attempt to curb this situation, but educating them and parents is an uphill struggle when there are so many fast food places, which the Labour run council allowed to happen.

Reply Posted by craig on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 21:06
Yes Richard they are educated properly in school but we can't control what they eat at home. Schools can only do so much and every town in england has too many fast food shops not just labour run ones.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 21:56
Craig, I have to disagree with you. The schools and education system in Barnsley is shambolic and an embarrassment. How many schools make the grade? How many are put into special measures?

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 21:35
can i just stop you there craig i have 3 kids in 2 different secondary schools and i can assure you only 1 of them promotes healthy eating/drinking. The school my son goes to sells greasy pizzas and paninis at 10.30am and the kids are allowed to drink energy drinks,i dont feed my kids pizzas and paninis on a morning at home and i dont let them drink that stuff either.The school my other 2 go do serve food at morning break but not greasy pizza and have banned energy drinks,not all school promote healthy eating like you say not all parents do either. I know it greasy by the way as he once brought the grease proof paper home and it was stained orange with the grease.

Reply Posted by sarah on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 21:36
one of the schools has a primary school attached so the bad habits can be seen by the younger end.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:04
God Richard! Lighten up !. You're such a goody two shoes!

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:31
Excuse me! Not all schools are symbolic or an embarrassment. The school I work at do promote all children to eat healthy and to be treat wise. What the children eat outside of school is not our fault as we teachers have no control over what the parents feed their children. We do promote healthy eating to parents aswell but its their choice not ours.

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:32
Shambolic not symbolic my phone

Reply Posted by jules on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:33
The report states that it is 20% 10-11 yr olds that are obese. You could presume from that a large proportion are over weight. At that age food is the resposnsibility of parents and no one else. Think it maybe them that need the education!

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:44
@Jules, that's my point. Parents should have more control on what their child eats. Not the teachers we try our best to promote it. The children are not aloud to drink dilute in class only water. Dilute and juices in their pack lunches as again we have no control in what food a parent puts in their child's lunch boxes.

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:57
No worries, my mistake for not reading it properly lol.

Should have gone to specsavers lol. :-D

Reply Posted by craig on Thursday January 23 2014 at 13:05
Richard you seem to be an expert on schools! I disagree about this being schools fault - schools do an awful lot to promote healthy eating. An ofsted grade does not tell you whether it is or isn't dealing with this issue

Reply Posted by Collet on Thursday January 23 2014 at 15:37
When your brought up on junk food from the push chair,Hardley see one without a Greg's sausage roll in it then what do you expect kids to like as they get older?. Can't blame nobody but parents,got to admit, to many junk food shops, opening and they don't sell healthy food. Also too much of a choice,when R was a kid if you didn't eat what was on the table you didn't eat very rarely did you here I don't like this and I don't like that.

Reply Posted by Me on Thursday January 23 2014 at 16:05
I grow my own veg , plus we are all vegetrian so have a very healthy diet my kids are a very heathy weight and often help out preparing dinner which in turn educates them in what they are eating why it is good for them . I will never understand how a parent can let their child get fat to me it is bad parenting

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 23 2014 at 16:17
I get my fruit and veg delivered from a farm and I go to the butchers for my meats. What I ment by I know what I'm putting in my food as horse meat etc..... I know a beef lasagne is 100% beef not 60% beef and 40% horse that's what I ment lol

Reply Posted by Eeeee on Thursday January 23 2014 at 19:52
Surely commen sense prevails here! Everything in moderation, the odd Greggs sausage roll isn't going to hurt as long as its not every day, I'm a working mum and I try and give my children a varied healthy diet but I don't deny them the odd 'unhealthy' treat. I'm sure the majority of these 'lazy working parents' try their best for their kids! I also know plenty of people who eat rubbish and are underweight and people who eat very healthy but are still deemed overweight so I dont think that because a child is deemed over weight necessarily means they eat rubbish all day x

Reply Posted by Aidan on Thursday January 23 2014 at 20:45
well maybe they should stop singling out and shaming children who are obese, because that usually leads to children later being shut-ins because they get the piss taken out of them anywhere they go, i went through it myself, i tried getting into sports clubs but just kept on getting bullied for being bigger than everyone else, not necessarily fatter, i was taller and broader than other kids my age, i banged on loads of weight over my teenage years because of being bullied for my size. it wasn't until i was 17 that i got a job working until early hours of the morning that i started running (there was no one around to take the piss) i lost 8 stone and felt great. anyway, in schools when they have PE the teachers openly shame fat kids for being fat/slow/unfit/unhealthy etc, why would kids want to participate in that? eating healthy isn't all that because it doesn't work for a lot of people, getting active is the main part of it. we should be encouraging kids to get active, not shaming them and making fun of them until they do because that causes one of two things
1. mental breakdown such as depression, anxiety, trust issues
2.resentment, which could lead to lashing out violently

so, my post gets the jist of things.

Reply Posted by me on Sunday February 2 2014 at 20:54