Debenhams Pull Out Of Planned Store

Monday January 20 2014

DEBENHAMS has pulled out of Barnsley's planned town centre regeneration scheme.

The retailer had issued a warning following poor Christmas sales which saw profits nearly £30m lower than last year - a drop of 26 per cent.

The company has now walked away from an agreement to anchor the new town centre shopping centre with an 80,000sq ft branch.

The retailer insists the decision isn't related to its poor trading figures - but because a presence in Barnsley is unnecessary because of its proximity to existing stores at Meadowhall, Doncaster and Wakefield.

But the leader of Barnsley Council says the news isn't the body blow to regeneration plans that some people initially feared.

Sir Steve Houghton says revised plans for the town centre, which will soon be revealed, don't rely on or even include the presence of a Debenhams store.

Cllr Houghton said: "Debenhams have taken a national decision.

"On a local level we've been in the process of revising the proposals for Barnsley town centre for some time and they don't include a Debenhams.

"We will be making an announcement this week on these revised town centre regeneration plans which we think will suit Barnsley better for the future."

Barnsley Central MP Dan Jarvis said: "This is obviously disappointing news.

"However, I know that Barnsley Council is looking carefully at this.

"I will be working with them, local businesses and the public to ensure that we have a town centre which once again draws people in."

What do you think to this? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 20 2014 at 10:30
Barnsley = Poundland. Debenhams too good for chavs.

Reply Posted by maria on Monday January 20 2014 at 10:35
Great makes more room for charity shops to fill the town centre now then I understand about the close proximity of the other stores but its not fair Barnsley ppl always miss out

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 10:54
I hope our council can move fast on this. The high Street are having problems all over the country, because of growing internet sales. Barnsley needed Debenhams, let's hope there's a plan B. Its not going to be easy though to attract a big player to any town,never mind Barnsley. We are a poor area, but let's hope trying to find another invested is a priority. After all, which ever large retailer has the foresight to invest,they should do well, because there's no competition here.

Reply Posted by Jack on Monday January 20 2014 at 11:31
The best way to regenerate the town centre is to introduce free parking, but the disabled parking spaces need policing more effectively. Also introduce a time limit.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 11:52
There's not much point parking free Jack, there are not enough nice shops. We need a couple of big players. Sorry but Barnsley doesn't meet my shopping needs. Doncaster town centre is much better. Try buying a nice outfit and you are never going to find it here.
As for disabled spots, I don't know if its just me,but there seems to be plenty of them, it may be that there are too many folk who have badges that do not need them. I know of two in my little family!
Hopefully there is a plan B.

Reply Posted by me on Monday January 20 2014 at 11:54
best way to regenerate the town centre is to get rid of all the smack heads and piss artistes. and give us free parking,then people like me will return to Barnsley to do my shopping. Barnsley council. its not rocket science is it. until then it meadowhall.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 08:27
Totally agree

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 12:18
The cost of petrol travelling to meadowhall surely cancels out the cost of parking,so that's not much of a slant on it @me. It's a fact,we haven't enough shops/choice.
The druggies? Yes,get them out.

Reply Posted by ray on Monday January 20 2014 at 16:15
I also think they should get rid of that whiny nasally liam gallagher wannabe busker from outside one of the pound shops, his voice makes me angry and just want to get away (not good in a shopping precinct) every song he sings is at half tempo and mundane/miserable. stoooop cryyyyyyinng yourrrr hearrrrt ooooooouuuuttt!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 08:32
agree, not enough choice and town in summer its a nightmare with the shouty alchos and smackrats pestering for "busfare".

I can be there and back from Meadowhall in an hour and don't have to run the gauntlet of said alchos and smackheads and irrespective of petrol costs I'm afraid its a no brainer for me.

Reply Posted by Jay Dee on Monday January 20 2014 at 12:24
we used to have one of the best markets in the country, until all the cheap foriegn stalls appeared with their fakes and cheap tat.

Also if the council had any inkling as to what they were doing, our town centre would've be smartened up years ago. Instead of building a stupid clock that no one notices or could understand, or that ruddy nit comb outside the town hall.

We don't want modern art (utter rubbish), we want a nice clean, well maintained shopping center, we want our market to shine out again, we want rid of the junkies, and we need rid of these horrible looking charity /scrounger shops :-/

Reply Posted by nic on Monday January 20 2014 at 12:34
So what's going in it's place another poundland , 99p store .. people aren't going to shop in Barnsley when other town's like Doncaster and Wakefield have so much more to offer .

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Monday January 20 2014 at 12:35
The fact Debenhams have withdrawn is disappointing but not disastrous. If the redevelopment had gone ahead 2 - 3 years ago then we would have ended up with a brand new half empty shopping centre. Now, there is the chance to re-define the redvelopment to cater for the market, library, cinema without the need to rely on retail shops that realistically have a short life span the way internet shopping is going. I would suggest more 'open spaces' to replace where shop units would have gone. Town centres are changing so this may be a blessing in disguise.

Reply Posted by sam on Monday January 20 2014 at 15:12
Why would we have an half empty shopping centre? Are you saying BMBC can't attract investment?

You would be right, they couldn't run a bath!

Reply Posted by Ray on Monday January 20 2014 at 16:05
Why stop there Hoyland Red, lets take another 3 years and add it to the 20 theyve already had. Debenhams was the lynch pin of this project and now thats gone. Sir Steve may as well admit defeat. The council cannot attract business to barnsley.

The fact that the guy who build meadhowall Paul Sykes is from Barnsley and wanted to do something for the town on more than occasion only to be snubbed by the council is evidence of the complete and utter cluelessness that has blighted the town hall for some 20 odd years. Rumour has it that he wanted meadowhall here. We were also in the bidding for the xscape (thats in castleford) but didn't produce a bid. A town thats smack bang in the centre of the country with excellent travel links both north and south and east and west and we can't attract anything.

Get all the old gravy trainers out and get some young blood with business acumen in.

Reply Posted by Jeez on Monday January 20 2014 at 19:10
Open spaces? You mean more places for smack rats and drunks to hang about.

Wow Hoyland Red, you must work for BMBC.

Reply Posted by Get real on Monday January 20 2014 at 19:54
If I wanted to visit 'open spaces' I would drive 5 mile out of Barnsley and visit the countryside not the town centre ffs!

I go into a town wanting good quality shops, not shops like poundland and the like.

For Gods sake, if there is people like you working for the council HR then what hope have we got in ever seeing a nice town centre to visit and SHOP!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:07
Get real - Visit many forward thinking city centres do you? Perhaps the open spaces suggestion might have been a bit too literal for you. Open spaces in this respect was meant to represent attractive paved spaces with places to relax, but I see you like the 'shops'. More sheds please ..... oh and no I don't work for Barnsley Council.

Reply Posted by Get real again on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 07:48
I know what you meant you fool.Hasn't Barnsley got enough open spaces like the town hall gardens and mandela gardens for examples. I know lets not have a town centre shopping area at all HR. We're only a small town we haven't got the room like a city to be having paved spaces.

We need decent shops!

Reply Posted by Get a grip on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 09:00
Oh, 'shops' Its all tonge n cheek HR keeping in tone with the backward thinking. Did that one go straight over you head aswell? More open spaces anyone?

You really do need to get a grip and get out of Barnsley. You defence of bmbc over the last year has been laugable.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 12:31
Get a grip and get real - why post with two different names when you're clearly the same poster? Hi Steveo

Hasn't Barnsley got enough open spaces - er no.

Try really hard to think about this one, but the habits of shoppers are changing, due the internet, therefore town centres will not need to be as big as they once were because the demand is not there, so buildings particularly those on the edges of town will eventually become vacant and possibly derelict (old YE building ring any bells). If there are buildings particulalry like the market complex that are naff and need demolishing, then clearly there is no need to develop a footprint as big as the area currently covered so, why not develop attractive open / urban spaces.

As for your second post, what makes you think I spend my time in Barnsley? I may live there but I certainly don't work there. As for defending Barnsley Council - I will say what I think is right or wrong regardless of what whatever colour of flag flies above the Town Hall. Now, if you'd like to respond with one name it will same time and confusion.

Reply Posted by Get a hold of your ego HR on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 12:40
I think there is more empty space in your empty head HR.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 13:26
Are you bored Steveo?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:20
You called HR?

Havent read the post so I guess that either someone is using my name again or you have got it wrong again?

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 17:46
Someone posting in your style of diatribe, so I assumed it was you using an alternative username. My apologies if it isn't you, however if it is I don't expect you'd admit to it.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 20:02
Nope, certainly wasn't me, only use the STEVEO moniker and post cold hard facts and not diatribe as you so eloquently put.
That's more like it isn't it?

Reply Posted by tzj on Monday January 20 2014 at 12:35
I'd take the space allocated... too bad the council wont be interested in what i have to say!

Reply Posted by steve on Monday January 20 2014 at 12:39
Barnsley council just need to pull their finger out and get on with it. Its been going on years now and still no further. But council tax hasn't been stood for the last 3 years!! Come on move your selves!!

Reply Posted by jules on Monday January 20 2014 at 12:48
who cares its for snobs anyway all stuck up gets work there just bulid a massive toy shop /baby shop need one of them more than owt they dont think about ppl who cant commute

Reply Posted by annie on Monday January 20 2014 at 13:00
There is FREE parking on weekends at County Way Car park.
Debenhams pulling out is a bit of a disaster, their presence in the Town would have brought shoppers in from other area's to have a day's shopping in Barnsley instead of their home town.
Barnsley needs to go back to being the best market, money needs to be spent on the Market, coach loads of shoppers used to come to Barnsley to shop in the market, we do desperately need the Town Centre to be modernised with a new shopping centre. We also need to attract new independent business owner's into the Town Centre, by offering a low rent for the first 12 months, then step it up over a 5 year period.
Police presence needs to be increased removing any drunks / layabouts to make Barnsley Town Centre a safe & pleasurable place to do your shopping instead of it being a rundown, mess that it is today.

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday January 20 2014 at 14:02
Barnsley council has a lot to answer for. Over many, many years they have let down local people on a grand scale, not just on the retail front.

Reply Posted by SALLY on Monday January 20 2014 at 14:19
Sadly there are no shops in town where I CAN BUY DECNT BABY CLOTHES I also need clothing for myself. There is a lovely shop in Holmfirth called Clothes Peg for babies n toddlers. I shall go to Wakefield for my things. We used to have Baileys, I GOT THE MAJORITY of my kids clothes there. There is nothing now. I do no shop on the internet, I want to see what I buy.

Reply Posted by sam on Monday January 20 2014 at 15:09
Barnsley misses out again! Im not fooled by Steve Houghton and the rest of the idiots at the town hall. He has messed up big time. Internet shopping? Only Barnsley council would make that excuse. I haven't known any other town or city mention it when the'yre building these new shopping centres.

If that is the case, there is no need to redevelop the town or market at all.

Your time is up Labour, time for a change.

Reply Posted by AlanB on Monday January 20 2014 at 15:14
Here, here.

Reply Posted by Ray on Monday January 20 2014 at 16:11
He's lying as well. There is now way he could have come back from his christmas holidays knowing that Debenhams would pull out AND then get the plans revused for an 80,000sq foot unit. What will be in it instead? some more fountains or maybe a museum, maybe some more council offices?

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday January 20 2014 at 17:13
I have heard a rumour that rythem and booze might be coming to peel st area.

Reply Posted by Dawn on Monday January 20 2014 at 17:26
We have a market that attracts people from all over Yorkshire, right? These same shoppers would most likely look around a shopping centre and spend money. Barnsley is crying out for big stores like Debenhams. It might only be a coffee shop but Costa is always busy, sometimes packed to the rafters, so don't give me "the people of Barnsley can't afford to shop in high street stores".

BMBC have failed again. I have no confidence in the them at all. Oh, don't be hiding behind the Town Hall museum & gardens either Houghton, it doesn't wash with me. It's no good having that if we haven't got an upto date town centre.

I urge the people of Barnsley not to vote for this waste of space again. How much more can Barnsley take with this lot at the helm?

Reply Posted by Well said Dawn on Monday January 20 2014 at 17:33
Best post ever Dawn.

Reply Posted by Fair on Monday January 20 2014 at 17:44
Dawn - I think your post sould have read. We had a market that attracted people from all over Yorkshire.

Reply Posted by Tom on Monday January 20 2014 at 18:45
Apparently, bus loads come from all over including Manchester. Are BMBC lying again?

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 20 2014 at 18:46
Yes @fair. Its pretty rubbish. Same old same old! Poor quality stuff.

Reply Posted by del boy on Monday January 20 2014 at 18:55
It was a good market,and yes people travelled to visit. The markets are dying now though,the supermarkets have got eyerything under one roof. Only the special markets seem to do well now. Bake well market at Xmas was lovely.

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday January 20 2014 at 20:25
Dawn, I would marry you if I wasn't already.

I could not have put it better myself.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 17:27
Debenhamns don't need to come to Barnsley. They already take the revenue from our local economy to Meadowhall and other towns where there own Councils can organise the business needs of there relevant Towns.

Meadowhall has the M1 and trains and a clean relaxing shopping areas.

Barnsley Greats you with Smack Rats. alcoholics, and immigrants trying to beg steal or borrow from you.

Before Barnsley Council even considers getting further investment into Town they need to clear the town Centre streets from this vermin.

Then again this will never happen BMBC can not even organise a wheelie bin collection round for the residents. Never mind build a new town shopping centre.

Calamity Roy Miller leading Barnsley into the Dark Ages.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 09:01
The police need to crack down on the shouty alchos that congregate around peel street lavs, the plinth and the mushroom by giving them "leave town orders".
The legislation is in place so why not use it?

Mind you just seeing a bobby in the town centre apart from match days is as rare as hens teeth.

The smackrats constantly pestering for money gets on my nerves too, last year a young smackrat asked to "borrow" 13p, thirteen bleeding pence!

Why should i have to put up with it?
I want to be able to shop in peace not accosted by idiots wanting money.

Meadowhall every time for me I'm afraid.

Reply Posted by Littleoldlady on Monday January 20 2014 at 17:31
There are lots of retailers who would agree that opening a store in Barnsley would be suicidle, enough said!

Reply Posted by Chris on Monday January 20 2014 at 17:32
Wheely well said KFC

Reply Posted by Lol on Monday January 20 2014 at 19:03
Labour BMBC have had 80 years at the helm, what makes you think they're going to start cleaning up the streets now!

This is what you get when a town dosen't like change. You can't blame Steve and Roy, they know they're in a safe seat. Why should they care what the town centre is like, they know that you will keep voting them in

You're getting what you deserve.... a shit hole!

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 20 2014 at 19:11
What's the alternative? Tory? Lib-Dem?

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday January 20 2014 at 19:22
ukip, raving looney party? only saying like.

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:46
I thought that the Monster Raving loony party were running Barnsley.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 20 2014 at 19:48
I think 99% of people on here agree BMBC is useless and has been for years. But what is a viable alternative?

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 19:59
There only one alternative and that's a civil war. Extreme but who going to support the working class elderly disabled people and the working class no one.

A new party needs to be formed. History has a habit of repeating itself.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 19:59

A new party needs to be formed. History has a habit of repeating itself.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 20 2014 at 20:04
Agreed, crying out for a new party.

Reply Posted by Doon on Monday January 20 2014 at 20:16
Debenhams are putting a spin on this to make it sound like they're not going the way of Woolworths. But their excuse just makes them sound stupid.

Someone at Debenhams must have realised there was a store at Meadowhall, and ones planned in the near future for Doncaster and Wakefield when they originally signed up. Just makes them look like idiots.

Maybe John Lewis will take the big store. Oy Harrods. More likely Primark.

Or maybe it'll be the library. It was said it would go in the new development.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 20:26
@doon or some delegates from Debenhams has since their free tea and biscuits at the Town Hall. Have had a walked round Barnsley Town Centre.

They will have witnessed the Shambles the Labour Councillors have allowed to town to determinate.

So have decided to save there cash.Who can blame them.

How many Barnsley residents go in to the town Centre because they have no other choice. Probably thousands.

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday January 20 2014 at 20:37
In other words Doon, they don't think the council will ever get their act together and get the regeneration started. The good people of Barnsley have lost confidence in BMBC so Debenhams probably has aswell.

What does this look like to any other potential investors wanting to get involved if they see Debenhams pulling out?

I know I would be thinking twice now about putting my money in, BMBC have messed up big time, AGAIN!

It isn't the first time and it won't be the last. You have been warned!

Reply Posted by true red on Monday January 20 2014 at 20:45
Failing to come to terms with the internet sales in town centres is not just a Barnsley phenomenon it is happening all over the country we have to make the town centre welcoming and safe to families young and old losing one failing shop is not the end for Barnsley but without forward thinking BARNSLEY as a town could well become a redundant place of activity. Sheffield is also struggling but you can feel a sense of growth around the theatre's and bar's I am not saying it is going to be easy for Barnsley to rebrand it self, so instead of pulling the tarn down get some ideas going no matter what your politics.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 20:58
Good post @true red. I'm afraid to say Barnsley's not appealing to me and I imagine many others. I went in today,its a sad place. Went to York yesterday,it was lovely. When a place is nice,you browse around shops, and enjoy a lovely meal,browse again and spend. I wish it were different, and I hope things look up for our town. We would all benefit.

Reply Posted by ken on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:02
True red@ It is not about us getting together and bringing the town to the 21st century. The politicians are running the town down beyond repair. Truthfully the town is a resemblance of a warzone. Nobody is going to invest in Barnsley town because there is no incentive for people to even go to the town. If there was FREE parking everyday still not enough good retail shops to keep people interested. I visit town to bank and can't wait to get back to my car and get out of the rundown hell hole.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:09
@ken you are 100% right with your posts. I can not remember which WABER said it but BMBC is made up of Councillors and Leaders who are lining there pockets and don't want change in there life times. Cushy number comes to mind.

Last year our Local Councillor Wombwell Dick Wraith managed to strap up just short of £30000 in. Allowances and expenses.

He won't want change will he.

Reply Posted by ken on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:23
Kfc@ Has a family years ago we used to go to Barnsley religiously Tuesday and Saturdays. Market was brill and spend a good few hours browsing. buy all our veg and meat and also clothes,Tools plants etc.Have a coffee and sometimes dinner. The market is dead and the town is full of unsightly creature just hanging about waiting for there prey. Foriegners playing music(loud noises) on every street corner. Sadly a very undesirable place to take any young kids. Sorry to say but doesn't get any of my hard earned money..I travel to meadowhall why? Clean warm nice food,plenty of desirable shops ample free parking..no undesirable folk loitering. Wake up Barnsley COUNCILLORS/POLITICIANS before the town becomes" A NO GO ZONE FOREVER"

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:27
I'm with you Ken and I'm sure 100% of Barnsley decent folk too are also with you

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:29
I wonder what Mr.Wraith spends the money on? The town is slipping, is it spent promoting Barnsley? If so,its money down the drain. Not being sarcy there,just interested.
Might be a job going? That's sarcy tho.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:35
@anon a lot of people and organisations in Wombwell are asking questions about local Councillors contribution in our town.

The gravy train has started to de-rail and there seems to be some OXOS missing.

Local services decline and people start waking up and asking questions.

Wombwell baths and Highfield Grange Resouce Centre.

Just a start.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 20:53
Before you can invest for the future. You need to clean up the vermin. Rats love shit and Barnsley Town Centre Streets are covered with vermin.

In order for people to visit a area it has got to be,attractive and appealing to people to want to return.

As a kid I had many memories of Saturday Matinee at the ODEON and Barnsley Market.

Put that in today's context Smack Rats,Alcoholics and the rest of the welcoming party.

No Thanks.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:03
I'm sorry to say kfc I agree with you. The town today was full of what I call undesirables. I can't call people vermin, but I do understand your mind set. To be truthful, I hope I don't need to go in again for quite a while.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:15
Ok Sid I will use the word undesirables instead of vermin. Then whats the difference Sid you need to help me pal.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:19
Sorry Sid just a question my friend how much did you spend in town. My guess nothing your visit was business connected.

Meaning you had to be there or you would not have gone into Barnsley today. Mondays of all days.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:24
Yes it was business kfc,otherwise I don't go there. To be fair though, I wish it were different. Each time I go,I see the place going more downhill.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:41
And no kfc, I didn't spend anything. I bought everything I needed yesterday from York.
It's a shame though,I agree.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:22
I can't really kfc,it just didn't sit easy with me calling people vermin. No disrespect intended.
I have at times been sorely tempted though I,all admit. Me and mine have had our fair share of crap from them.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:29
I appreciate your comment Soil will change my lingo. You need to answer my second posts please pal.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:30
Done It above.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:39
Sorry Sid did not see that posts. I myself was in Barnsley Town Centre today. Looking for Mcdonalds 99p special burger.

Some undesirable character told me it shut years ago.

Never mind payed my VAT bill at bank.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:45
Now that does hurt kfc. Paying in to the treasury and tripping up over the many folk who won't have work . It does make me wonder why I work soooooo hard. Its demoralising.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:49
@sid well as a friend don't forget to submit your tax returns by January 31st. We don't want the undesirables to miss out and you get £100 fine for late returns.

The undesirables are banking on you Sid for there white lighting and Kestrel from Mr Khan opening a Anderson's Shelter near you.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 21:58
Haha! You know the sad part is, I paid two weeks ago!
I should have made them sweat!
Wish I,d never mentioned the undesirables now! You're going to bash me with it every post we have!
I'm making myself laugh at myself now,
If you get my drift.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:14
Good evening fellow WABERS. Just managed to escape the shop my bloody wife chained me to the till so I coundnt get my head down in my Anderson Flat. YES got 5 stacked on top and rented them out to the Romanians. I love to help out on the community, Even suppling them with Kestrel and bags of food at a very good price,,£1 delivery only has I have to bloody walk across the street. Don.t get to town much sid/kfc too many unsightly people bloody staring at me,., you would think I was bloody different but I am bloody proud to serve barnsley for over 40 yrs.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:04
@sid talking about undesirables did I mention the programme Benefits Street I've just watched football on sky.

Watch channel 4 plus one it will open your eyes on now just watch your tax go pal.

You sure they are not VERMIN.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:23
Bloody benefit street@ Never ever imagined all my bloody taxes paying for these lazy people. Litter strewn all over the place,all sorts of different nationalities. smoking drinking drugs and all on bloody benefits,,bloody Hell SO PROUD OF BARNSLEY. must dash to pray mat, mr khan serving Barnsley over 40yrs

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:28
Harrr Mr.Khan! Light relief. Open the Anderson's,waggle yer widgets, and light up them joss sticks! Me and kfc need a curry and to get a ten Bob wobble on!

Reply Posted by stop ww3 on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 01:41
sid aswell,has wab got a sign on it saying if u r a bigbellend that buys everthing the bullshit media says then post here, last time i looked it dint.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:20
I take your point kfc,but I do have a valid concern about these folk. I was brought up in a scratters household. Booze,figs,gambling being priority for my parents. It was a horrible way to be brought up,cold and forever hungry. Somewhere in my head,I vowed my children would never be brought up the same way as I. I worked hard at High School,left the family home at 19, and have made a success of my life. I hold on to the notion that with luck,some of the scratters will make good. The problem I do see is that now days they all live in the same rubbish areas and they see their lives being the norm. That is a massive problem. I saw my family as an embarrassment, so wanted better. They need jobs,giving them their own money,pride, and less time on their hands to be thieves etc. Then will come self respect. I really do hope for jobs,its the only way up.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:38
My life was very similar to yours Sid if not exact. I just think we have a 30 year gap in-society who have been left behind and had generation of breeding children themselves

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:45
You're right. Im just watching benefits street now,and they all need a job.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:48
These people need help and genuine support. They is a choice in life we need to help and guide them.

Forget immigration we start looking after our own to and there children will become tomorrow's future .

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:58
I agree. It disgusts me though the way some of the parents swear and speak to their kids. It does seem hopeless on the show tonight,I,all admit.

Reply Posted by oh are u on Monday January 20 2014 at 23:03
Sid my dear friend,, Sadly the programme just wants people to think all people on benefits live like this. Not everybody on benefits live like that.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 20 2014 at 23:10
I realise that and thank god.

Reply Posted by Dawn Bamford on Monday January 20 2014 at 23:15
It's bad enough I've had to travel to most of these other towns for work without having to travel there to do my shopping! When I was little town was great. The big woolworths, bhs, littlewoods. We've now got a costa?? But not much else. Let's give barnsley folk some new jobs in new shops and a decent cinema and start getting people back into barnsley.

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Monday January 20 2014 at 23:48
Why don't folk get it? Nobody wants to visit the centre because it's a hell-hole, packed with parasites, vermin, cretins, drug-addicts, brain-donors & beggars. Who would deliver a reputable high st store, cinema etc when nobody wants to come..?? Hence the jobs it'd bring won't come either..

Reply Posted by tosh on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 00:30
I'm born, bred and have lived in Barnsley all my life. I have worked for 36 years near to Wakefield City Centre and still haven't been in Debenhams. I'm no chav but I reckon Debenhams are expensive. In term of other nearby stores, that is rubbish. The other stores have been there sometime, Wakefield only more recently. Barnsley haven't been moved here by some recent cataclism and the Debenhams execs arn't that stupid. Barnsley does need some more big name shops but even when ee had the coal money coming in the larger department stores were Butterfields for those who can remember and the Co-op. We need to walk before we can run. It's a shame but I agree with the council and the regeneration won't be that badly affected. Come on Barnsley!!!

Reply Posted by you talk aload of tosh ^^^^^ on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 08:21
tosh - You quoted " you agree with the council " sadly im afraid the council is running the town into the ground, You said " we need to walk before we run" Don't you think we have been walking (snail pace) for far too many years. The town needs a full yes full revamp and shops that encourage people to come into Barnsley. It is ok you saying NOT DEBENHAMS. But a Start would mean more shops would invest..You for one need to stop living with the dinosaurs and any change is better than no change..Lets more with the times,

Reply Posted by BMBC out! on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 08:03
Barnsley folk can afford to shop at Debenhams thats why they go to Meadowhall, Wakefield,Doncaster and Leeds. All these citys have Starbucks and other fashionable shops and coffee outlets. We have a Costa, thats it!

Barnsley town centre is so behind in so many ways,it really is embarrassing. As for all the smack rats and drunks? You only ever find vermin in dirty, filthy areas, clean the area up, thats a start.

Reply Posted by Disgusted on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 08:40
Does anyone in Barnsley have any confidence in Steve Houghton, Roy Miller and the rest of BMBC?

If not I suggest you make it clear at the voting booths.

Steve- You should be ashamed of yourself. Next time you go for your dinner break in the town centre, think to yourself, " What have I done"

You are a disgrace to the people of Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Charles on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 11:38
I have little faith in Sir Steve (Ha Ha) and his colleagues in the town hall. If brains were dynamite they would not have enough to blow their cap off!

Reply Posted by true red on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 10:45
Smack rats drunks filth vermin liers mmmmmmmmm sounds like the house of Parliament, or the bankers tea party. Rather than the centre of your home town
its the people that make a town work and with so much negative attitudes about Barnsley town its a wonder there isn't a mass migration to the city of london. I'AM truly proud of coming from Barnsley, I wonder how many of you have actually been to a town council meeting in the public gallery my bet not many or tryed talking to your local councilor there is plenty of council surgery's you could go to to put over your point of view. Try it get involved off to work now afters

Reply Posted by true dare on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 12:24
I bet you feel red in the face.

Reply Posted by Wow on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 13:57
Negative attitudes? Jesus whept! What do you expect you idiot when we have got a council who have done sweet fa for this town. Its because people care they are venting their anger.

The council are to blame for running the town down in to the gutter. No wonder they keep getting voted in when we have idiots like you living in the town.

Wake up and look around. We haven't got a town centre to be proud off, we have a town centre to be ashamed off.

Reply Posted by negative atitudes on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:49
If all you can come up with is Jesus whept(insulting the religious people of our community) or Idiot an insulting word used to display contempt for the disabled no wonder you are looking no further than the council to blame.May be you have a more sinister agenda.

Reply Posted by Are you for real? on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:56
LMAO!

Reply Posted by Double standards on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:59
I take it you didn't find Ron's post offensive?

No? Ok I must have upset you telling you the truth about our town. Don't cry too much.

Reply Posted by Ron on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 11:43
That's a very good point Red, any idiot can throw constant criticism. If you don't like it do something about it.

Reply Posted by Ron, get real on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 13:47
Who says we haven't tried doing something about it, IDIOT!

Reply Posted by Sensational Formal Hire on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 12:21
Debenhams pulling out of Barnsley is GOOD NEWS for my business, independent retailers need to be supported not ruined by the Big Retail Chains.

Reply Posted by Sue on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:31
Is it good news for Barnsley? NO!

Reply Posted by bananas on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:01
get the army out of other countrys then they can start patrolling our towns and villages. shooting all druggies, alchos, thieves,scroungers,thugs, all anti social tosspots. also execute all the do gooders. then the world will be a better place. I would even start shopping back in Barnsley. just saying like.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:03
@bananas don't mix your words

Reply Posted by annie on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:31
Barnsley needs to stand out from the crowd, so if the big retails chains don't want to come to Barnsley, why not make Barnsley into a town of Independent retailers ?, I always find that the Independent shops offer better customer service than the chains.
That would then draw in more shoppers who want a personal shopping experience.
Its a shame this wasn't addressed before they started work on the Town Hall, Fountains and weird sculptures, surely that could have been completed when the Town Centre was brought up to date.
I reckon Mary Portas is the woman for the Job to get Barnsley Town Centre Great again :)

Reply Posted by annie get yer gun on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:41
Mary Portas???? Mary Poppins,s more chance.

Reply Posted by Tracey on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:35
How many times do the council have to reveal new plans for the town centre? Stop procrastinating and get something done before the whole town dies. I simply see investment in nice plush offices for council big wigs to sit in and the rest of the town and its people are forgotten and unimportant. Its about time people stood up and changed the future of our town and our people if we don't who will?

Reply Posted by Steve on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 14:51
The council basically don't have a clue what the're doing. The halo, the Tuscan village, the muliplex cinema on the old courthose car park, the roadworks near Wicks and now this.

They have failed and need to go. The people of Barnsley need to act now and get these cretins out of the Town Hall fast. Nothing will ever get done with this lot in charge, they have had it easy for too long. Kick them out!

Reply Posted by Ron on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:15
Go on then what have you done bright spark?

Reply Posted by Steve on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:19
A lot more than the council. Happy? Good lad.

Reply Posted by Ron on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:29
Like what?

Reply Posted by Steve on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:37
Noesy aren't ya?

I know i've upset you, and this is all you can come up with but do you really think im going to tell a stranger on the internet my buisness? You could be an old perv getting off on this.

The council are a disgrace, thats all you need to know.

Reply Posted by Ron on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:42
What a peculiar and childish response. Upset me? In what way? Very odd indeed.

Reply Posted by Steve on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:59
A childish response to a childish bloke BRIGHT SPARK!

Less of the 'Bright Spark' and 'Idiot' then I might take you serious old man.

Reply Posted by bright spark @ idiot on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:50
Yes very odd indeed that ron has yet to comment on this story. Does he even know what Debenhams is?

What do you think about Debenhams pulling out ron?

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:52
Looking round our town the other day,I thought the people and the place looked scruffy,it smelt of cig smoke,swearing was loud and there was lots of shouting foul language. Sorry but its true. Any representatives out and about looking to invest here would be put off. The older generation and the young in working clothes were too far and few between to show that there is money around. It seemed to me that the people who can afford to spend were out numbered. Until there are more people employed investment from the likes of Debenhams will not happen. Most of the people around looked like they didnt have an hapenny to scratch thier ar**s with.

Reply Posted by Neil on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:22
Don't forget anon. Just because some people might be wearing casual clothes and out and about on a week day doesn't mean the don't work. They could be working shifts or on annual leave.

Reply Posted by .... on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:57
Oh dear looks like Richard has forgot to take his tablets today.

Reply Posted by Ron on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 15:58
Who the hell are you?

Reply Posted by .... on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:11
Wow spectacularly strange today, even by your standards

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:13
im not richard. you are obsessed with him ......

you say everyone is richard. is there something wrong with you

Reply Posted by .... on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:20
Ha ha there is obviously something wrong with you Dicky old love

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:28
i havent got a clue what you are on about. sorry if you think im richard but im not.

neil, i agree it was aimed at the druggies really.

Reply Posted by .... on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:34
*yawns*

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:39
just saying

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:49
Oh dear, has .... got another victim now? This is becoming ridiculous now.

Don't worry anon, he said I was Richard along with a few others not so long ago.

I agree with eveyone who has slagged the Council off. They are usless, it's time for change.

Reply Posted by .... on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 17:19
He's back with another one now, thats at least half a dozen on this thread alone bizarre.

Reply Posted by Patricia on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 18:12
They are always trying to alter Barnsley, it doesn't work, put it back to like it used to be years ago !! people used to come from all over the country to shop. all the markets the real feel of Barnsley, now it's just rubbish and no-one comes .the council alter (waste money) on roads that were two way traffic, it didn't work so spent more altering it back, fountains ,which are ok but money that could have repaired roads and other things, put Barnsley right , give us the true market town it used to be.

Reply Posted by PULLOME RICARDO on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 18:20
ITS THE COUNCIL TO BLAME, ITS THE GOVERNMENT, IT's the bloke next door, It's, here's a little a bit of information its you, yep you, you wanted to go to tescos & Asda, you didn't want to walk out in the rain on a cold day round the market, you wanted to shop on line, instead of shopping local. its you or your sons and daughters that are falling down drunk and showing pieces of there anatomy' on a weekend thus stopping shoppers with young families. its you who throw litter down and tab ends without a care in the world look in the mirror and then say i don't do those things and my children are perfect.

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 18:34
I always thought Mr Khan's corner shop took the trade away from Barnsley Town Centre.

My bad

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 19:38
Oh bloody hell Fred- We are bloody hard working and we are loyal to our customers of the community. Offering bloody good customer service and always a lovely smile.( I had my teeth bloody whitened) Town very bad to many unsightly people about. I only go to £1 shop has can sell for £2 in my shop...I also offer delivery service £1 only and you also get free white hessian sack which I keep picking up of the streets. some got newspaper and mags still in them. sell mags cheap also.. I pride myself with been the pillar of strength to the community. Anybody need help YES me mr khan always here for a small fee to help..must dash got pray mat waiting and going to have curry and a few kestrel..happy days in my Anderson shelter.mr khan serving Barnsley 40yrs

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 19:43
Your best post yet Mr.khan! That's made me belly laugh,you nutter.

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 18:25
Put it back to how it used to be years ago? It never left Patricia. We have a town from the 70's, it's crying out for a revamp.Why do you think most people go to Meadowhall and Leeds?

Sadly the Town Centre is a run down hell hole.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 19:23
Barnsley reminds me of Mad Max, beyond The Thunderdome.Retards, drug-addicts & ignorance.
I much prefer London.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 19:27
Aw god! Not you again! Bugger off!

Reply Posted by Neale wood on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 08:13
So we wonder why would a commercial viable company with a history of making profit plus it's world renowned label pull out of a deal. Perhaps the shorted sighted view of BMBC not giving reduced rates (charity shop being exempt from business rates obv bring a massive income for the council ) maybe they hadn't budgeted for the BMBC personal expenses

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 18:21
I can't wait to hear what Houghton has got planned now. Im waiting boy, it better be good.

Reply Posted by franco on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:10
I have just been in the council meeting about "how to move the town forward" we have come to the conclusion that all people that vote Conservative in Barnsley must be exterminated with immediate effect.
Cawthorne park will be extended and the village of Cawthorne will be razed to the ground and consigned to the history books.
The villages of silkstone and silkstone common will also be flattened and replaced by sprawling council estates.

Reply Posted by wanko on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:31
Intresting. they should exterminate all the people in barnsley who vote labour then there would be no one left and barnsley (no ex-miners passing crap on to their sons/daughters, no blokes sat in a pub feeling sorry for themselves, you get my drift) could move on and start a fresh and lose the laughing stock image.

wishful thinking.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:34
Hey @wanko, there's a massive housing market out there. Just flit mate.

Wishful thinking indeed.

Reply Posted by tracy on Thursday January 23 2014 at 21:12
I ******* hate meadowhall n donny. Would much rather do my shopping in my home town thanks!!!

Reply Posted by Troy on Thursday January 23 2014 at 21:19
Sorry tracy you will not get much then.. shithole Barnsley

Reply Posted by Gumbys on Thursday January 23 2014 at 22:04
The state of the dorks in here whinging that Debenhams is too high-brow for "s***hole Barnsley".

There are some absolutely AWFUL places in this country, much worse than Barnsley with a Debenhams, assorted backwaters like Basildon, Swindon Slough, Oldham and Bedford to name a few. Why on earth should Debenhams see fit to open a store in these places and not our town?

Perhaps because some of the towns residents do nothing but bring it down with their constant pissing and whinging? Barnsley is not a s***hole, there are many, many worse places in the country such as those listed above. I doubt there is another town who's residents almost proudly say it's awful though.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday January 23 2014 at 22:10
@gumbys people only say what they see.This is Barnsley the people in this town are straight forward talking people. We don't mix our words. That's why we are proud and respected around the country.

The reasons Debenham has pulled out is perhaps they were never coming in the first place.

Just another Sir Houghton and co bullshit.

Reply Posted by Observer on Thursday January 23 2014 at 22:43
Someone quite rightly pointed out. Internet shopping is harmful to small shops and businesses. I do it often. But the reasons arent all because of the posts above. If debenhams dont want to come so be it. I have never been aproached by a smackhead..or other whilst i have been in the town. I go into town in afternoons for a drink. I work. My work rota meaNs i canot go for amdrink at weekends. That doesnt make me a pisshead does it?

Reply Posted by Dave on Friday January 24 2014 at 09:10
Do i blame BMBC? No i blame the knuckle heads who vote for them year in year out, once they lose there seats that would focus there minds, why would anyone try when they know there seat is nailed on and a piece of coal in a red tie would get voted in over anyone else?

Reply Posted by Red Flag on Friday January 24 2014 at 10:40
I would vote for a piece of coal in a red tie rather than vote tory everytime.

Reply Posted by Reg Flag, LOL on Friday January 24 2014 at 18:03
You poor sod!

Reply Posted by x on Friday January 24 2014 at 11:32
here here red flag we dont have much now so i dread to think what we would be left with if the tories or lib dems were in charge.and instead of running down the councilors we do have put yourselves up for the job lets see if you can do any better