Woman Steals £35,000 From Wheelchair-Bound Gran

Tuesday January 21 2014

A 23-YEAR-OLD woman has been jailed for a year after stealing her dementia-suffering grandmother's life savings.

Stacey Bann spent the £35,000 she stole from Noreen Cunnington's bank account on clothes.

She took the money from the account after getting its details and transferred it into a bogus one on 23 occasions, before moving the cash into her own account.

Bann, of Heather Walk, Bolton, managed to reassure her parents she was using her wages from her job as an apprentice plasterer.

However, after quitting her job in August, she managed to maintain a similar lifestyle and told her father the £9,000 he noticed missing from Mrs Cunnington's accounts had been given to her by her grandmother.

In defence, Judith Seaborne said Bann had become depressed after a relationship had ended.

She admitted fraud.

Louise Gallagher, prosecuting at Sheffield Crown Court, said: "Both her parents expressed shock that she did this to her own grandmother."

When confronted, the court heard she threatened her parents with a knife.

Judge Julian Goose said: "Over five months you obtained £35,340 from your vulnerable and elderly grandmother.

"It was a determined and committed attempt to take money without her knowledge.

"You knew your grandma would not check, and was suffering the early stages of dementia."

None of the money she stole has been repaid and it's believed to have been spent.

Reply Posted by r u 4 real on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 11:17
35K on clothes????????????

Reply Posted by Dan on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 11:17
what a disgusting person!

Reply Posted by Kerry on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 11:47
Hi all after reading this I feel I have to comment, me and my grandma has always been together she brought me up from 18 months old and now she is living with me, our family hasn't contacted any of us for the last 6 years not even to see if she is ok, at Christmas my grandma was taken to hospital as she suffers from COPD and the weather made her struggle breathing, since I couldn't get up as public transport was bad over Christmas and new year but they managed and as she had her tablets changed and she was sleeping mostly they have now told the hospital that I am doing this to my grandma, she has denied it and so have I. I would never dream of this yes I go collect my grandma pension weekly for her but I give her it straight away, stealing from family is the worst of the worst families are meant to be there for people (well my family isn't a family)

Reply Posted by gym on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 11:55
what above

Reply Posted by Sue on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 11:51
Lowest of the low

Reply Posted by dave on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 11:59
Complete scum!

Reply Posted by gail on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 12:04
Kerry...i would su them scum bags.but u no y thrv said this obviously? They want the lot..i hope. A sink hole swallows the lot of then..you are to good for them .exactly not your family. Kp yr chin up.x

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:21
well I dont like or use the word vermin to describe a human being, but I have just changed my mind!
Horrendous woman.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 19:35
Whats that I read above Sid Ha-Ha ...??

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 19:40
I know kfc. Chewing on my words, they're bitter too after reading this item.

Reply Posted by saddlebags on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:34
Who is Kerry? I'm confused! Thought it was Stacey???

Reply Posted by saddlebags on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 16:36
Gail you are illiterate.

Reply Posted by Dee on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 18:44
Who has told who what Kerry?

What is wrong with people these days? Theft from the elderly is proper low!!! These scum bags want branding on the forehead with a metal iron!

Reply Posted by kaen on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 07:29
One years not long enough.