News » WAB Guides

New Recycling Information - A WAB Guide

Thursday January 16 2014

BARNSLEY Council's 'successful' trialling of its new recycling scheme will be rolled out to all households from March 1. Here's what you need to know.

Some residents have already received their all-new white sacks. It's a 55-litre, hessian-like bag which claims to be 'hard-wearing'.

However, a recent WAB Debate has seen residents criticise the scheme, saying the council simply aren't listening to residents' concerns.

You can read that by clicking here.

The council are sticking to fortnightly collections of grey bin waste, but other recycling collections are changing.

The way Barnsley residents have been recycling, and the feedback received, has shown that people want their garden waste collected all year round, not just in the summer.

In the past five years, paper collected at the kerbside in Barnsley has dropped considerably by 1,500 tonnes.

For glass, cans and plastics, only half the bins are being put out for emptying every time.

Therefore collections are being adapted to make better use of resources in light of the above findings.

This will see waste collected as follows throughout the summer:

Week 1: Garden waste, cardboard, paper

Week 2: Non-recyclable grey bin waste

Week 3: Garden waste, glass, cans, plastic bottles

Week 4: Non-recyclable grey bin waste

One of the garden waste collections will stop during winter months (December to February) and be reinstated in March.

Actual dates will be confirmed on residents' leaflets.

To prevent mixing of different types of waste, the use of bins will also change from March 1.

Grey bins: Fortnightly non-recyclable waste

Green bins: Garden waste only - fortnightly up to winter, then four-weekly

Brown bins: Glass, cans, plastic bottles - four-weekly

Blue bins: Cardboard only - four-weekly

White bag - Hessian-like 55-litre bag for paper - four-weekly

Cllr Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for development, environment and culture, said: "The people of Barnsley have been fantastic in the way they've taken to recycling.

"They've taken us to a rate of 46 per cent, which seemed an unthinkable target only a few years ago.

"The changes in these services will allow them to continue recycling with minimal impact.

"The changes may cause some confusion at first, but it won't take long to get used to them and we have staff on hand to help anyone that needs it."

The town's waste services have also reorganised its collection routes to improve efficiency and this will change the collection day for a large number of residents.

The leaflets contain full details of the changes in the service.

Residents should continue to present their waste and recycling bins as now until March 1.

The leaflet also contains a collection calendar which gives full details of the new collection dates.

Residents should take special care to read the collection calendar as their date may change when the new scheme begins.

You're invited to exchange your recycling bins for larger ones if you require the additional capacity to store four weeks' worth of recycling.

Residents waiting for delivery of bins will be permitted to place recycling in bags alongside their bins for collection.

What do you think? Necessary changes for the better? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Kyle Peace on Thursday January 16 2014 at 10:35
Myne bins a full every time they go out. How do they expect people like me to do this my bins will be over flowing every week

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Friday January 17 2014 at 17:00
Following the 'Successful trial' of the bins and bags as announced by Councillor Roy Miller, I would suggest that every time someone has a problem with their bins/collections or queries about them, that they contact the Councillor in charge of dustbin collections, the very same Councillor Roy Miller.
Roy Miller's e-mail address is: cllrroymiller@barnsley.gov.uk
Roy Miller's telephone no. is: 01226 770770 (Council office) or
01226 385064 (Home)
I am sure that as the Councillor in charge of bin collections Roy Miller will be more than happy to deal with everyone's feedback and will take personal charge of your concerns and get answers for all of your queries. Please remember that Roy Miller is your elected Councillor for this service and receives a sum of money every year from the council to carry out these duties on your behalf.

Reply Posted by neil on Thursday January 16 2014 at 10:36
its our 1st month of change and im back to havin to put mix waste in my grey bin after recycling for 4 years bad change in my opinion give it couple month and fly tipping will be up as folks bins start overflowing like mine

Reply Posted by Stu W. on Friday March 7 2014 at 14:18
Emailed council in December for blue and brown bins, only have grey and green.
Advised to use green bin for cardboard until blue bin eventually arrives, put it out this morning, lo and behold - bin left full leaving it where it is well away from my house. ALL my rubbish going into grey bin till I get bins as requested.

Reply Posted by Stu W. on Friday March 7 2014 at 14:18
Emailed council in December for blue and brown bins, only have grey and green.

Reply Posted by Stu W. on Friday March 7 2014 at 14:18
Emailed council in December for blue and brown bins, only have grey and green.

Reply Posted by Simon Logan on Thursday January 16 2014 at 10:41
Just like to echo everyone elses comments, the system works fine as it is and now with the new system the streets will be littered with waste paper that has blown out of the new waste recycling sacks.

Reply Posted by paula on Thursday January 16 2014 at 10:44
i've been waiting 4 weeks for a larger bin......isn't looking hopeful. was shocked to see so few paper bags out today..NOT!

Reply Posted by You what? on Thursday January 16 2014 at 10:47
Do the councillors not read anything that has been written on WAB? Obviously not, because if they did, there is no way that they could call the hession bags for paper recycling a success. Have they forgotten the reason why they brought the blue bins in? Cos the blue plastic bags didn't work. Paper recycling is only going to continue to decline.Just to reitierate, 4 weeks worth of paper in a bag that'll soak up the lovely british weather that we enjoy, is to be lugged to the front for collection and when emptied left where? It'll be out there enjoying said British Weather as well as the surrounding Barnsley countryside, that's where! Will Barsnley council be replacing bags that wander off cos if not, then there soon be no point in having a paper collection, cos there'll be none to collect!

Reply Posted by Katie on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:01
The paper bags will be blowing away down the street/going missing. My cardboard bin which is one of the larger size binis full every fortnight, we will have to begin putting the card waste into the regular grey bin to be able to get rid of it. Many residents do not produce enough garden waste to fill a bin every fortnight - I dont understand why they can't keep the mixed garden waste/cardboard and just empty them every fortnight for the whole year. Come on Barnsley Council move forward not backwards!!

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:01
Problems caused by the new recycling system.....
1. The system has already changed for Staincross where I live but we have not been notified of the change or the new information before it happens and after a discussion with the refuse dept I am still waiting for the information.
2. If I put my postcode into the BMBC website to find out about when my rubbish will be collected and to get information, the website has not been updated and still shows all the details for the old collections, including dates and when to put bins out which is now wrong information.
3. We have been switched onto the new recycling system and deliveries but have not been given a hessien bag for paper or a blue bin for cardboard.
4. Feedback from the refuse department is that there is still a problem with the white bags blowing away like the blue ones and they know about this problem. They are currently looking in to what can be done to provide a bag with a weight in it to stop it blowing away and other alternatives.
These problems are not addressed by Councillor Miller in his mention of a successful pilot scheme, and they are also costing the council more money to roll out and then amend at a later date to rectify the problem that they are introducing. The scheme is also costing the council money in man hours being wasted answering phone calls to query things which should have been notified in advance of the roll out/introduction of the scheme.
This is yet another example of the departments being watched over by Councillor Miller failing in their rolls. Councillor Miller seems to be involved in every example where the council lets its members and voting public down and should now understand that it is time for him to stand down and let someone else who can do they job come forward.

Reply Posted by A Nonnie Mouse on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:04
I would ask you WAB to ask Councillor Miller what is happening about the problems identified as whenever I e-mail him, he is quite reticent in his replies.

Reply Posted by Pat Oldbrook on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:30
Mr Miller - My hessian white bag blow away as did most residents on my street.i buy a daily paper also magazines and it was full on collection.Very heavy has the rain soaked the bag. This was before xmas and will now put paper in my grey bin..Please do all us a favour and RESIGN. You are a complete numpty with ideas that just waste more of the Barnsley folks money. What was wrong With the OLD SCHEME ? Blue bin with wheels easy to use for the elderly. please reply to my questions because when I phone to give you a piece of my mind you decline to call back...

Reply Posted by Mike Lee on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:17
Why are you surprised?? It was Councillor Miller who was responsible for the heavy losses on the Burton Road junction n'est pa???? This came in 2 years late and well over budget due to correct planning permission not being received from the Council!!!

Reply Posted by Tracey on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:25
If I understand rite then as a family of 5 I will def need a larger blue n brown bin because the normal size ones I have now are full after a fortnight and def wouldn't last a mth...
My paper... well looks like I shall be burning on the fire cos the paperbag will def blow away once emptied..
And as for the green bin Barnsley council u can have it bk as I ave a garden the size of a postage stamp that gets mowed 2/3 times in the summer..3 kids playing in the garden taken up by 5 wheelie bins at mo...so u can def ave green one back!!!

Reply Posted by Joke on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:26
What!!! We fill our tins and cans bin in 5 days!!! We are a working family of 6 and I babysit on a weekend which adds! I'll be placing them in a black bin liner and they can see just how much I use the service! If they don't take them.......tough!!!

Reply Posted by dawn on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:35
Utterly stupid! It's going to make things WORSE! I don't have a garden therefore i have no garden waste and my green bin is regularly filled with cardboard and placed by the kerb side every fortnight. As is my brown bin! This now renders my green bin unuseable. My blue bin is rarely filled as I don't deal with many paper bills etc. I got a bin as my plastic bags a) blew away and b) stolen by others whose bags had also blown away! So why not move this to 4 weekly collections? The blue bins will not be big enough to deal with the amount of cardboard waste, which will result in more being thrown into the grey bins. And with the amount of complaints this has generated on this site and We Are Barnsley's Facebook site it just goes to show that BMBC truly don't listen or care about what we think!

Reply Posted by me on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:36
am sorry but this mite work for sum pple eg old folks and single pple wi owt kids bt in cases like mine where u have 6 kids in house it wont i have to put my cartons and tins in sack after 1 st wk of it been emptyd as it gts full i use 12 pints of milk a day as me kids like milk better than pop and i struggle wi them gttin emptyd every 2 wks so it gunna b worce if the empty em every 4 wks bloody pathetic council havnt a clue these days silly morons want to look at the plans again and cum up wi emptying bins every wk like the used to the waint b any more fly tipping then coss the wont need to

Reply Posted by liz on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:37
Well were screwed then we use six pints of milk a day were a family of six the brown and green bins are always full and out every week we even top up the neighbours although we share thw blue bin how has it been judged as successful have any of the people on the trial been contacted for feedback as the mention on here the other day was the first id heard of it. Luckily the kids school will take boxes n some of the packaging for models its a waste of time and effort by the council im afraid surley theres something more in need of attention than something working fine already

Reply Posted by jobie on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:37
we r a family of 6 and my brown bin is completely full EVERY fortnight without fail.why the hell are they taking more money in council yet providing less of a service!!!! perhaps garden waste does require collection through the winter months but the brown bins dont need touching thank you very much!!!!

Reply Posted by Katie on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:39
We are told repeatedly to shred our personal mail this is the majority of my paper waste how is it supposed to stay in a bag even on a breezy day, never mind during the recent gales we have had. Very little thought has been put into this idea, also my brown bin is always at least three quarters full for the current fortnightly collection it will not manage to take a months waste between emptying dates

Reply Posted by bek on Thursday January 16 2014 at 12:15
Why change what works, well that's when they do cone and collect all 3 recycling bins unlike the cardboard green bin went four weeks.

Reply Posted by David Clarke on Thursday January 16 2014 at 12:43
BMC it always goes your way don't it. Not only are you talking rubbish but blowing smoke up our arises in the process. You are doing this to hide yet a further cut back and trying to justify it by saying its not needed. I think that the bins you have surveyed are proberbly those belonging single people or student accommodation. Its only a question of time before we truly will need the pied piper.

Reply Posted by ? on Thursday January 16 2014 at 13:47
if u ring barnsley council up u will beable to get bigger bins,free of charge.i no it doesnt help about them being empted every 4 wks but it may help.

Reply Posted by rugrat on Thursday January 16 2014 at 14:03
how the hell do they expect familys to go every four wks without emptying bins, there's 5 in my family and after 1 wk the bins full to brim. they the 1's goin to be moaning when theres rubbish all over streets and in ppls gardens.. fortnightly is still bad enough i think but 4 wkly is pants!!

Reply Posted by Jenkinson on Thursday January 16 2014 at 16:07
Not keen on the hessian bag idea especially as we get lots of people walking their dogs who let them pee on the bins, hessians not going to be good for that, imagine the smell after a few weeks!

Reply Posted by Dawn on Thursday January 16 2014 at 18:05
Roy Miller.... you are a disgrace! I hope the people of Barnsley wake up and stop voting these idiots in, Im sick to the back teeth of BMBC. What a shambles!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday January 16 2014 at 19:21
I CONCUR!

Reply Posted by Lynn on Thursday January 16 2014 at 18:17
Were doing our bit recycing , but after delivery of my new larger bins my brown one is overflowing by the middle of the second week and i have to resort to a large black sack , the blue bin ins also overflowing and the green one unused for now best part of year has become a bin with black sack for my overflowing brown one , which then i have to take out of the green bin and put out but kniwning bmc they wont take it because its not in a bin , its a sham !!!!

Reply Posted by sharon baxter on Thursday January 16 2014 at 19:07
The bag was delivered today thrown on my garden and when I returned home had to pick it up out of a muddy puddle , good start! What a mess up! People will just mix it up! I have friends whose bins never get emptied as they mix them up due to not getting emptied then they're not emptied again then they use bins with space in them mixing them up again so they're not collected again! Bin collection should be collected even if mixed. Better collected than not?
This paper bag is useless and where can it be hung? My drive looks a mess with all the bins already
A large communal bin for the street would be better collected daily as they do in spain,works well too as scrap and other rubbish is often collected by others recycling it themselves, one person's rubbish is someone else's treasure

Reply Posted by Andy L on Thursday January 16 2014 at 19:45
Well it looks like the Council have are hell bent on making things harder for themselves! When the Bottle & Cans bin is full, I'll be putting mine in the grey bin so they won't be getting recycled!!!!! So these decision making idiots who get paid large amounts of our MONEY, have failed yet again!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Tom on Thursday January 16 2014 at 20:02
If anything, weekly brown bin collection would be welcome. If they aren't collecting that fortnightly any more, a hell of a lot of my recyclables will have to go in the grey bin, which I currently only need to put out every 6-8 weeks.

And aren't brown bin collections profitable for the council?

They are going to reduce recycling and a valuable income stream. Idiots.

Reply Posted by Tosh on Thursday January 16 2014 at 22:31
No positive comments do far and I'm going to have to disappoint and add my own dispondant comments. Firstly it's about time someone said that moving from one weekly black sack in your yard, you now have to accomodate 4 bins and a silly hessian bag. Don't tell me.... we demanded it. I don't have much to add to my fellow tarnies other than, who thought it would be a great idea to implement the scheme at short notice in Staincross over Christmas because we had to throw all our plastic bottles in the grey bin, is the manufacture and distribution of so many larger plastic bins which are taking 6-8 weeks to distribute due to the high demand a contribution to green policy..... and finally which bin do I put the 8 rats I've caught in past 2 weeks into? (seriously).

Reply Posted by Nicky on Thursday January 16 2014 at 22:41
My bins were in need off emptying more often before the change. Would it make sense to empty garden waste biweekly in the summer months. What idiot has made this decision????? God only knows cos council won't admit owt will they???

Reply Posted by Nicky on Thursday January 16 2014 at 22:44
Words cannot describe what idiots you are!!!!!

Reply Posted by Kerry on Friday January 17 2014 at 05:23
My brown bins full every collection now a weeks worth will be in the grey bin same for cardboard!! But where do I put that exactly while garden stuffs in it?

Reply Posted by Kerry on Friday January 17 2014 at 05:25
Sorry just seen in to use the small bin for the card which is what I have most of!

Reply Posted by rainbowsnot on Friday January 17 2014 at 10:27
Do the empty cans that have fallen out of my bin onto my garden count as garden waste? I hope so.

Reply Posted by kerry on Friday January 17 2014 at 13:38
There rubbish ... my green bin has ONLY cardboard in and yet again not been emptied this is the 3rd time in a row am bloody pissed off wi it ill just tip it in street soon ..... usless!

Reply Posted by Lyndsay on Friday January 17 2014 at 13:51
So I've now got to get a blue bin to put my cardboard in, which currently goes in my green bin??!! Seems rather stupid to me, and I'll have a large green bin that'll hardly get used as I don't really have garden waste. Ridiculous. And a bag for paper, how silly is that? Where's that going to go when it's emptied?

Reply Posted by sam on Friday January 17 2014 at 13:57
Well 2 adults,3 kids (2 of kids) twins and still in nappys, our bins are always full. We take bags to dump pit of plastic bottles, its a joke since they changed it. We full of rubbish, cats been ripping bags coz bin won't close..i tend to burn my paper letters with my details on in a burning barrel. I added house hold waste to it lastnight only way to get rid of it. Its better than tipping it and getting a fine. I see it like that. Wrong way but last thing I want is rats about.

Reply Posted by reply to kerry on Friday January 17 2014 at 14:00
Kerry green is for garden waste only, blue for cardboard,brown for cans & bottles etc, white bag for paper. I had same problem they wouldn't empty mine, so it went in burning barrel instead. Council won't sort my waste so ill do it myself ha ha

Reply Posted by But on Friday January 17 2014 at 14:02
Isn't this breaking the health and safety ? How are you ment to carry a sack if paper especially if it's wet, I suffer from a bad back or what about elderly people . It is much Easier to wheel a bin to the end of your drive way than carry a sack . Doesn't seem like much thought as gone into this. I for one will now be burning my paper . I also think those who dispose of there own rubbish should get a reduction in there council tax .

Reply Posted by ledby numpties on Friday January 17 2014 at 14:04
As a family of six we have loads of rubbish , we recycle and its been ok but having to last four weeks between emptying is a joke , our big brown bin is overflowing after 2 weeks no im not an alki its tins, milk bottles etc so now im having to throw some in the grey bin or go to the dumpit with rubbish .this is not successful mr miller its a piss poor decision

Reply Posted by Dave Massey on Friday January 17 2014 at 14:09
It's not 'New Way of Recycling', it's LESS collections to save money! What the council is actually doing is making each home a stinking mini rubbish dump until they can be bothered to come and collect it. Yes, they are saving money, but you can save money by not actually providing any service AT ALL and they'll still collect all the council tax they believe they deserve.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Friday January 17 2014 at 14:26
I'm still on the old system and I don't want it to change.

I'm totally against the hessian bag idea, like someone else has already said dogs will pee on them, the bag when emptied will blow away when its breezy. Disgusting and impractical.

Brown bin every 4 weeks..........no chance, mine is full by the end of 2 weeks and I'm not prepared to store anymore rubbish. The overflow will go in the grey bin which will then be full before collection date.............so the overflow will go??
I will probably resort to putting it in the cardboard bin and hiding it with cardboard on top.................I am not prepared to store smelly household or any other rubbish.
BMBC please listen!!

Reply Posted by Fed up! on Friday January 17 2014 at 19:29
For goodness sake!! I'm sick to the back teeth of my tiny garden being full of bin bags because I can't fit the amount of waste in the bins provided. I have a family of 6 and the brown bin is filled within a week (way too small for a family) the green bin is filled with cardboard within 2 weeks and the black bin within a Week!! Why not just make larger and smaller sized bins and let people choose what they NEED for their own uses.

I pay a lot of Council Tax and am furious I have to put up with stinking, fly infested rubbish in my garden EVER summer. I don't drive, so taking the bags I can't fit in my bin is jit an option, they HAVE to stay here. It's a complete joke! Furious beyond belief! It's a health hazard!

Reply Posted by Jay on Friday January 17 2014 at 19:36
Bought a nice new house with a garage for extra storage space, Now i have a nice new house with a bin store....Why is it such a problem to take extra waste? i have a full brown bin right now, with 2 cardboard boxes FULL of cans and bottles, because they wont take anymore than a full bin... So now it will be emptied half as often.... means i will have a garage full of rubbish and bins, which is pretty much is already. Luckily we get empties on a saturday and over the road gets emptied on a friday, i will just start putting them out twice a week if i have to...

Reply Posted by Jay on Friday January 17 2014 at 19:39
Plus i run a business, with lots of paper waste, but it has to be shredded as it has customers details on, so they cant take my paper as it shredded. how silly, it all just gets mushed up anyway.. i NEVER recycle paper, because if i did it would be the odd bit of junk mail through the post, which in my opinion might as well go in the grey bin. Cant even recycle envelopes coz they have lil plastic windows on, Id save on space in my bins if they would let us kep the caps on bottles as id be able to squeeze the air out to make more space, and keep it crunched up by putting the lid back on but they wont let that happen, CANT EVEN FIND A CAN CRUSHER ONLINE!!!!

Reply Posted by Jay on Friday January 17 2014 at 19:41
Also, there are only 2 of us in our house, we over fill the grey bin in 2 weeks, over fill the brown bin in 2 weeks and have so much cardboard in our garage we cant move, i dread to think what it would be like if we had 2 kids, itd be mental...Gret bin aint big enough, and thats with all the recycling we do too, always had this problem, i dont think anyone understands how much rubbish people get through.

Reply Posted by Roynottheboy on Friday January 17 2014 at 20:38
Yet another example of Roy and the council operating in a bubble. The attempt to put a positive spin on the issue is insulting to the intelligence of the folk of Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Lesley Bruce on Saturday January 18 2014 at 08:46
Plastics bottles etc yo be collected four weekly disgusting the bins aren't big enough to stand the two weekly one, instead of changing the blue bin and spending money on new bags for paper( what will not her picked up by the bin men anyway)) why couldn't you just provide extra large sacks for garden waste or just except it in our own rubble bags,

Reply Posted by How do I get all bins on Saturday January 18 2014 at 09:21
I only have the gray and green bin the council never gave me any of the other bins so how do they want me to recycle my rubbish??? I have rang them before for the other bins but they wanted me to pay £15 for them to be dilivered or pick them up myself but im sorry if they want me to recycle they will have to bring me the bins for free I'm not paying for them to be dilivered when they should have gave everybody all the bins required to recycle in the first place!!

Reply Posted by sally on Sunday March 16 2014 at 16:41
I fully agree there should be no charges made to deliver bins. I WAS LUCKY that someone collected mine but you should not have to. Coucil at it again disrupting what was an ok routine. I live alone but my heart goes out to families, what on earth do the council expect from people. Beyond a joke. When people start lighting fires to get rid of rubbish there will be an outcry or just another excuse to create another fine. Its about time somebody with common sense organised such things. It would appear that the persons responsible for this could not organise a **** up in a brewery.

Reply Posted by angela allen on Saturday January 18 2014 at 11:25
i have rang the council numerous times for a bigger blue bin and can't even get through.no doubt it is people complaining about this stupid waste of time and money that our wonderful council have come up with now. i wonder how much money this idea is costing us, the rate payers because you can bet yer bottom dollar it won't be coming out of the councilors pockets.

Reply Posted by Joanne on Saturday January 18 2014 at 11:27
My brown bin is always full,I have a black bin and a green box and most if the time I put all three out.the blue one is rarely full.i can not believe that people don't put there brown bins out or the rest of recycle because on my street everyone dos.where was a letter asking the public what they thought,instead of just changing it.common sense.....mp none.its all about where they can cut cost and keep there wage and bonus

Reply Posted by rob on Saturday January 18 2014 at 11:52
my green bin will now be pointless as will most of the people who don't have large gardens but don't worry Barnsley council I will put my empty green bin out every fortnight . Barnsley council listening to its people ................

Reply Posted by chris on Saturday January 18 2014 at 12:27
When's the next local election?

Reply Posted by me on Saturday January 18 2014 at 12:33
Totally ridiculous! R u listening BMBC no one wants this it shouldn't even be left the way it is! Grey bin should Def be weekly. Cardboard monthly brown bin weekly paper monthly garden waste monthly. Surely it only costs the same their is the same amount of collections. We're paying for the service we should get it. U still take the money. I know cutbacks have to be made but not to the health and safety of others. Last summer we had maggots in the bins on our St. It stunk to high heavens. In winterwwe've had rats b4 nesting due to rubbish over flowing n flying about not good not good at all

Reply Posted by TJ on Saturday January 18 2014 at 13:57
How are the elderly meant to carry a hessian bag full of paper to the kerbside once a month?

Reply Posted by TJ on Saturday January 18 2014 at 15:04
ON THERE BACKS IDIOT.

Reply Posted by Alan on Saturday January 18 2014 at 22:17
Not all people took advantage of the blue bin originally for paper. I got the blue bin for paper and used it on a regular basis, also my brown bin for cardboard, since the changes were announced my blue bin has been pinched. Will the council replace my blue bin ? or give people who do not have a blue bin one. The answer to that is no, fetch your own, how do I do that if I dont have a vehicle to fetch one. Also I do not have a garden so my brown bin is redundant. Will the council take it back and recycle it ?

Reply Posted by nic on Sunday January 19 2014 at 20:24
If we can get bigger bins for recycling why can't we get bigger grey bins .. I recycle all I can but my grey bin is always full before collection day . I don't drive so cannot do tip runs , the waste management team have told me they don't offer any other collection service for household waste with or without a charge .

Reply Posted by andy on Monday January 20 2014 at 13:13
Theres 6 in our house we fill every bin every week, this is mental! Brown bins every 4 week? We fill 2 in 2 week.

Reply Posted by Paul on Monday January 20 2014 at 23:26
I just hope the council let Bin Collectors use their own judgement as well, cos I understand that their job isn't made easier by silly rules and regulations that makes them leave rubbish on the side of the road etc. because they might get a bollocking.

Reply Posted by Neil on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:14
I will not be recycling anymore.What a joke with the bag for paper (which will blow all over the street).A garden incinerator has been bought,so all going in and the ash on my garden.Even thought about making bricks with the paper,etc for wood/multifuel burners might as well make money for me and NOT the council what a joke,any discounts in our council tax bills.....................mmm prob not but the council will waste away the money,NO surprise then!!!!!!

Reply Posted by sue on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:44
Niel, do you know if those paper bricks are any good on log burners? I can't imagine they are,but would like to know as I've thought about it too.

Reply Posted by Ricky on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:39
Very disappointed in this change by BMBC. We are a two person household and regularly fill the cardboard bin in between collections and now this is extending to every four weeks? This will only result in cardboard going in to the grey bin.

The idea of using a bag to leave out recycle paper begs the obvious where do the bin men leave the bag once it's empty? And we now have to find somewhere to store this between collections as it's not suitable to be left outside for a month.

It seems a short sighted decision to me where the people who are actively recycling thus making use of all their bins are the ones that will suffer and ultimately this will reduce the waste these people recycle as overspill will go in to the grey bins.

Reply Posted by Andy L on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 19:42
I won't be using the white bag! My paper will go in the grey bin when this starts! As for the brown bin and the new blue cardboard bin, when they are full the rest will go in the grey bin! When the grey bins full I'll put my rubbish in the communal bins in the apartments on our street! Either way recycling will go down the pan! But hey the system works according to the Councillors! People that are not happy with the white bags should drop them off at the nearest Council Office with a note on saying NO THANKS!! Councillors wasting our money again! I wonder how much these bags cost us? Maybe 2 or 3 libraries? Time to vote some new blood in me thinks! Amen............

Reply Posted by LB on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 20:15
Why is the Garden Waste bin collected fortnightly but the brown bin collected every four weeks? Where is the sense in that and who is gardening enough to fill their bin every two weeks? This makes no sense at all.

Reply Posted by k guest on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 20:15
So your reducing collections on the brown bins to once a once for cans bottles plastic which is full when it's collected every fortnight?? This will mean I will have to put it in my grey bin which is also full every fortnight,so do I get an extra bin?? No I will not nor a reduction in paying my council tax for a reduction in services I am paying for!!! This will just result in more rubbish overflowing bins drifting down the street with no one to clean it and heaps of rubbish dumped in the roadside!! In fact I tell you how you could save money cut councillors jobs and make them pick the rubbish up

Reply Posted by Andy L on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:12
What about shredded paper?? That's going to be fun!! Not thought through you overpaid ars*s!!!!

Reply Posted by j Barlow on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 23:48
Thought the dustbin men couldn't lift anything now the will have carry bags full of paper, fill you sack with catalogues it's very heavy!

Reply Posted by Ridiculous on Thursday January 23 2014 at 01:23
It's useless the council wouldn't take my bin when it was full because of this new scheme. Yet I am expected to empty it out in my garden and resort it in the correct bins as the new scheme says.
Ibam not sorting through dirty rubbish that has. Been sat for a month now to follow the new scheme and I don't drive to take them to the tip. Absolutely ridiculous that they can't collect it and let me start a fresh as it all changed the week of my recycling bins!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday January 23 2014 at 09:54
What a "success" the bags really are!
Councillor Miller you are to be commended..

AS THE MOST IDIOTIC COUNCILLOR EVER ELECTED BY THE IDIOTIC PEOPLE OF OUR TOWN!

GUESS WHAT ROY BOY, THE BINS AND THE "NEW" BAG WERENT YESTERDAY, I THINK I AM GOING TO RING YOU @ HOME TO FIND OUT WHY.

Reply Posted by Julie on Sunday January 26 2014 at 09:14
I requested a large brown bin before christmas, still waiting. !!

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 14:58
It seems this new system for collection has started when the bins/bags are not yet availiable.
I have no bag,tried to phone but the calls are not getting answered. Im going to use a plastic rubble sack for papers,cant see it will matter on iota,because the one that I should be using will have blown away on the first time out. Poor organisation of a rubbish(pardon the pun) new system. The bag idea is an old one that was changed because it didnt work! Not good.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 15:51
@Sid should have said I've 6 just planted potatoes in the them. just the Job.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday March 5 2014 at 16:00
Haha, yes KFC, but I didnt even get past the answer machine. I really wanted a bag though because its weighted! It,ll not fly away will it,like the rubble sack?? It blew my roof off,but thats not wieghted either, a few years ago the wind blew a single decker bus over outside mine, but that wasnt weighted either because there were no passengers on. You get the picture? Rubbish idea, blimey, if it all gets too silly I,ll just put the paper in the grey bin like everyone else is threatening to do.

Reply Posted by sally on Sunday March 16 2014 at 16:48
WELL WELL you will not be voted in again MILLER. Its about time labour were outed. It really has got to the point where folks are getting really angry. BUT in saying that its the people that vote them in. SO those of you that vote labour have no right to complain. CHANGE YOUR VOTE.

Reply Posted by ??????? on Wednesday March 19 2014 at 18:03
just like to say,,have read a lot of comments on here,,and totally agree,with what i have read.i work for bmbc and have done for many years,,,they say this system is to save money,,,HOW the hell are they saving money,, when they are bringing crews in on saturdays,,on OVERTIME to compleat rounds what cannot be done on a normal working week..

Reply Posted by Beeber on Wednesday March 19 2014 at 18:56
I understand everyone's frustration on here. We have been using the new system since December in Staincross. I'm not really concerned with the changes as much as the recycling goes. I do it. Yes its a pain trying to remember which bin goes out which week etc. Yes it was a major pain to start this new regime over Xmas 2013 in Staincross and bins were still left full in this very busy rubbish period. And NO, my white bag never flew away with the recent high winds or got soaking wet through as its sturdy enough to stand it. (the BMBC workers have to put the empty white bag in the top of your blue bin by the way to stop it disappearing). But I feel its our duty to recycle, especially in Staincross, as many years ago there was talk of a furnace here to clear overspill of everyone's rubbish rather than recycling efforts of BMBC. I'd rather spend a few more seconds a day recycling than have THAT in Barnsley to clear what lazy non-recyclers do not sort out.

Reply Posted by june on Saturday July 19 2014 at 17:13
it must not rain in staincross and how do the bin men put the white sack in blue bin when it is not out for emptying.

Reply Posted by gjefkr on Thursday April 24 2014 at 15:19
ive just send **roy** miller an email to change the bin system

Reply Posted by Pauline Phillips on Saturday July 19 2014 at 17:07
I put my grey bin out wednesday night for thursday collection as required, bearing in mind I live in the park and have to take my bin down a long drive to get it emptied as the bin men no longer collect from the house. it was not emptied until Friday so having to find somewhere to put my waste where the flies cant get at it as it was a hot day. other than that I have to walk to the gate again when I have kitchen waste. So not happy with this system which is clearly not working

Reply Posted by Latricia Bourdages on Saturday August 2 2014 at 05:12
I was trying to find this when i very first obtained here right now, anyway Im wonderful to be at this point

Reply Posted by Peter Thornhill on Sunday June 26 2016 at 17:16
Never ever had one delivered (leaflet) please post or email one.
Thanks