Boxing Coach Opens Up Own Gym

Thursday January 30 2014

YORKSHIRE'S regional boxing coach has set up his own gym in the heart of Barnsley.

Ken Waddington, 65, from Athersley South, runs Keel Amateur Boxing Club on Canal Street.

He's done it with a combination of his own money and a £9,000 grant from Sport England.

The gym is based around the back of the Keel Inn and already has a membership of 18, with six of the boxers carded and ready to box as amateurs.

Ken has a long association in the sport as he boxed as an amateur himself in the 1970s and worked as a coach at Cudworth's Hard and Fast gym from 1998 until last year.

He has been involved with the Yorkshire set up for four years but this is the first gym he's ran on his own.

Ken said: "We rent the room and are open three days a week at the minute but we're looking to put more sessions on.

"The money from Sport England is going to be used to buy equipment, get a proper competition ring to use and to put coaches through courses.

"It's a new challenge but I think we can become a big part of the community here.

"We want to grow but not too much as we don't have the space and we want it to be more personal coaching.

"I'm open to having recreational boxers who want to keep fit, too."

Reply Posted by . on Thursday January 30 2014 at 15:09
Wouldn't mind getting back into abit of boxing just for the fitness side of things... what days and time is keel ABC open...???

Reply Posted by Mr b on Thursday January 30 2014 at 16:50
Lookin good ken. Something for me to seriously think about.

Reply Posted by Craig (chewy)Bywater on Thursday January 30 2014 at 17:34
That's just what barnsley needs for the kids and their mum's and Dad's good luck in For the future I started one at the physique in Rotherham I started with 3 people in my first class then ended up with 30to40 per class I may pop in if that's ok

Reply Posted by Suz on Thursday January 30 2014 at 18:31
Are there any boxing gyms in the dearne that my young boys can go to?

Reply Posted by BarnsleyLad on Thursday January 30 2014 at 19:03
There's one up one Wath.

Reply Posted by Suz on Thursday January 30 2014 at 20:54
Do u know where in Wath?

Reply Posted by joanne on Thursday January 30 2014 at 21:23
Gym at wath is at bottom of moore road down side of old baths x

Reply Posted by Mark on Thursday January 30 2014 at 21:25
Down near rugby club mon, wed, fri from age of ten

Reply Posted by Suz on Thursday January 30 2014 at 22:20
My boys are younger but thanks for the info.

Reply Posted by Blackwell on Friday January 31 2014 at 07:38
Blackwells boxing gym suz. Behind the working mens club on station lane in wombwell

Reply Posted by Jimbo on Sunday February 2 2014 at 15:48
Good luck with this venture Ken anybody who puts there time effort and own money deserves it to be a success!!

Reply Posted by Shavaune on Tuesday April 22 2014 at 14:19
Do you teach children? If not can you or anyone else on here recommend someone who teaches kids in Barnsley ? Thanks

Reply Posted by Luke bishop on Friday August 8 2014 at 20:32
Hi ken im 24yrs old and wanting to get back into boxing what date and time can i come along get back to me mate asap thanks luke

Reply Posted by amanda on Sunday August 17 2014 at 14:03
hi looked allover internet fr this boxing gym and moor rd wath .cant find no contact number for it are name????? is it for adults aswell

Reply Posted by connor on Friday August 22 2014 at 18:20
Hi ken im 13 and have been wanting to do boxing for quite a while. I have wanted to do boxin not just for the fitness side of it but for fun and im wondering if im old enough to join.

Reply Posted by George Bailey on Tuesday October 7 2014 at 17:15
Hi ken what days do you open and can any come and train fanks

Reply Posted by Paul bucktrout on Tuesday November 17 2015 at 17:26
My 10year old boy is interested in your boxing club . What is your training times.
Thank you.

Reply Posted by Jojo on Tuesday April 26 2016 at 12:50
I'm wanting to no how much it is for me and my 12 year old boy? I'm wanting it for the fitness side

Reply Posted by Emma reeve on Tuesday August 16 2016 at 20:26
Hi im wanting to do boxing what days and times and how much a class thanks x