Over 150 Found Over Drink Drive Limit Through Festive Period

Thursday January 16 2014

OVER 150 motorists were found to be over the drink drive limit in an annual Christmas crackdown by South Yorkshire Police.

Officers breathalysed more than 3,054 motorists on the county's roads - with 154 testing positive.

The force said 2,505 tests were carried out during routine stops, with 549 drivers being tested after collisions.

The operation was launched on December 1 and ran until New Year’s Eve.

Chief Inspector Stuart Walne, who oversees roads policing at South Yorkshire Police, said: "The statistics show the vast majority of motorists in South Yorkshire think about the safety of others.

"They choose not to get behind the wheel when they're over the limit.

"However, the fact some people continue to flout the law and get behind the wheel after one too many continues to be a great concern.

"The message is clear - the only safe number of drinks to have before driving is zero, and anyone who thinks otherwise is risking not only their own life but the lives of others."

Of the drivers tested, 734 were under the age of 25.

Reply Posted by Daniel Smith on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:10
why does there need to be a "christmas crackdown" if they put that much effort in all year round there wouldn't be this problem would they

Reply Posted by Shane on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:13
If they drink and drive they deserve all thats coming to them

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday January 16 2014 at 11:39
crikey,thats scary.
thank god for our police force.

Reply Posted by wake up on Thursday January 16 2014 at 12:46
yeah them 2500 people who dint av a drink should sue 4 harrasment,this country has become like germany 1938,show me your papers,where r u goin .cops always bustin the little people 4 any minor infraction.while the people at the top get away with murder.can u handle that

Reply Posted by sherry on Thursday January 16 2014 at 19:13
Day wanna drink n drive @wake up?
It works for me! Aunt risk it.

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday January 16 2014 at 20:45
@wake

You are a Buffoon , since when is upholding the law harassment. ??
Let's just let everyone drive around pissed !
How would you feel if some drunk driving low life killed someone you love, I think you may change your mind then.

Reply Posted by carlos sagan on Thursday January 16 2014 at 14:22
we sure are living in a fear, greed dichotomy atm, corporatism has exhumed capitalism and we are now seeing the rise of the far right, just like germany experienced. our politicians are dictating there policies without consequence, where are our advocates?

Reply Posted by Jack on Thursday January 16 2014 at 14:25
@wake up. This is not harassment. This is just common sense. I drive regularly and I do not think that spot checks are made enough. The last time that I was pulled over in a car was 5 years ago. The reason he pulled me was he had seen the car parked outside a pub. Fair enough I say. I had only been drinking orange juice anyway. Drivers using mobile phones ought to suffer the same penalty as drink driving. I myself am disabled due to being knocked off a motorcycle with a driver on the phone.Sorry mate I didn't see you" was his excuse.

Reply Posted by redrew on Thursday January 16 2014 at 16:46
Totally agree with Jack. I was pulled up on a spot check during December and was negative as I would not drive after having a drink, I'm quite happy for drunk drivers to be taken off the road. I lost a friend at Christmas through someone driving after drinking. No place for them on the roads.

Reply Posted by Andy on Friday January 17 2014 at 09:58
Why moan taxis driver get suspended for a brake light out its safety on the roads and the law like truck drivers have to fill a log book out so why bemoan