MP Seeks Apology For Those Affected By Bedroom Tax

Friday January 17 2014

NEARLY half of housing workers dealt with tenants threatening suicide last year over the so-called 'bedroom tax'.

Wentworth and Dearne MP John Healey revealed the shocking claims and demanded an apology for the 'concern and chaos' caused by the government.

Last week, the Department for Work and Pensions admitted thousands of people had been wrongly paying bedroom tax and were entitled to a refund - because of a government mistake.

It means around 400 families in Rotherham and Barnsley could get back as much as £700.

Challenging Iain Duncan Smith in the House of Commons, Mr Healey said: "The news last week is a clear admission that thousands of people have been illegally hit with the bedroom tax since April.

"The latest survey from the Northern Housing Consortium says that nearly half of all frontline housing workers have dealt with someone who has threatened to commit suicide.

"This is largely because of the government's welfare changes."

Mr Duncan Smith said the department was 'sorry' but blamed the complex housing benefit regulations left by Labour.

Reply Posted by 7 on Friday January 17 2014 at 12:20
there is worse people of out there than you pay it don't pay it but stop moaning !

Reply Posted by too many folk living in luxuries instead of waking up on Friday January 17 2014 at 12:32
I've my gas bill but I don't threaten suicide, its life stuff go up, terms & conditions change. Some people want to wake up. Rent , council tax, gas, water, electric should come 1st. Not drinking, smoking,sky,mobiles,settee finance etc the list goes on. Or even better get a job rant over. Ive 3 kids, two of them being twins at 2 and I have to work. Things are only gunna get worse.

Reply Posted by AHR on Friday January 17 2014 at 13:11
I pay full rent £80 a week, wish I could get away with only paying £25 because I have 2 spare bedrooms. Saying that I do think they should have had smaller properties available to rent before they imposed this benefit cut.

Reply Posted by Tom on Friday January 17 2014 at 14:32
House prices continue to rage out of control.
Dwelling space per household continues to fall.
Rents in the social sector continue to be forced up above inflation by the government. Some 'social rents' now exceed private rents in Barnsley.
Subsidies to landlords continue to increase in real terms in both the private and social sector.
Citizens are denied a right to build and house themselves.
The government's bedroom tax exceeds the cost of a bedroom as set by government.

The Tory party receives much funding from landlords (and banks that act as landlords), all major political parties have a well above average amount of landlords compared to the local population, Labour party has considerable property interests.

The vested interests in keeping housing costs high and the living standards of the British people down are plain for all to see.

We need a civil war to bring freedom to the British people, so that they can be given the right to house themselves and improve their lot in life. We need young people to have the ability to create and form their own capital in the form of housing.

We need to alter the tax system so that tenants can deduct housing costs in order to reduce tax liability, and remove the tax advantage their landlords have over them.

We need to bring in rent controls and security of tenure, like they have n Germany.

With lower housing costs our people can then compete in the global market, live dignified lives, and raise their families and invest in our society to improve the quality of life for the average British citizen.

Reply Posted by KFC on Saturday January 18 2014 at 14:53
Well said Tom. I uses to say it would happen but never in my life time. Today I'm not so sure the cannons are smoking more by the day.

Reply Posted by Me on Saturday January 18 2014 at 02:53
I don't think it's as much the money it's the demands. Snd what the threaten you. On how to get it. Ie cour loosing your home. Things like that most people on benefits Struggle. With dealing wii. It. I myself av dealt with the same I manage to pay a little every so often. It's the letters n threats. That knock you down week after week and if people are vulnerable it affects them more

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Saturday January 18 2014 at 10:08
Stick all the morons in a tent,enough said.

Reply Posted by Karen Hartley on Saturday January 18 2014 at 13:50
AHR stop complaining you scroungy ****. Try renting privately. Oh I forgot, private landlords don't rent out to vermin on benefits

Reply Posted by disgusted/employed on Saturday January 18 2014 at 14:04
Karen Hartley?? I wouldn't put my name to that vile post. Hope you never fall on hard times love you horrible creature.

Reply Posted by Tom on Saturday January 18 2014 at 20:56
Dirty scroungers don't deserve an apology but they do deserve a kick up the backside.

Reply Posted by tracy on Monday January 20 2014 at 14:13
Karen, you sound like an absolutely delightful person..these days everyone is only a pay packet away from redundancy. not everyone on benefits has 5 kids and refuses to work. Your hateful comment is disgusting.

Reply Posted by sanity check on Monday January 20 2014 at 14:17
Not all benefit claimants are scroungers some people are bringing Family up or caring for a loved one etc. Bedroom tax is just that,a tax,another way for this government to make money from us. These are peoples family homes and yes i agree that if i lived in a three bedroomed house and my kids had grown up and moved out i would want a smaller home and let a family live in the bigger house but dont agree that people should be forced out. At least this will put a nice big nail in the coalitions coffin:)

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday January 20 2014 at 15:12
Let's get this clear; it is not a tax. Please look at the definition of what a tax is.

Reply Posted by Get it rite!!!! on Monday January 20 2014 at 14:24
Think some if the comments on here are bang out of order.. Yes I work n pay my way with everything with no help.. How ever theyay come a time when I need help...! People r bad naming people on benefits etc how ever some people can' not work no longer but have still worked from been 15-50 ... These are people homes that are been taken away I would not like to be in this position and fully support those who have geniune problems in paying their extra rent... Karma!!!!

Reply Posted by this s*it again yawn on Monday January 20 2014 at 14:55
Pay up or down size sick of Hearin about this shit now funny how these ppl don't like payin tax like most of the general public do. wish I cud av it like some of them av gotten it. All them threats in suicide shud hopefully hurry up n get on with it as UV gotta b mentally disturbed to want to take ya life over payin upto £25 a week for a.house wish that's all I ad to pay it,LL b same ppl that WA protestin in sparrow park drinkin bottles of cheap cider makin themselves look like the scroungers they are disgustin get a job instead of expectin everything for free i agree that they shud b given an option to downsize 1st then impose the fine if they refuse

Reply Posted by Brian on Monday January 20 2014 at 15:10
People should 'stand on their own two feet' and not expect others to bail them out financially.

Reply Posted by Boc on Wednesday January 22 2014 at 22:42
£721 morgage £200 gas & electric £180 council tax £40 water £60 sky tv £1201 thats my bills a month get off your arse and work for it like i do

Reply Posted by Dave on Thursday January 23 2014 at 06:29
My wife and i live on benefit,I had to stop working to look after her a few year's ago as she is now severely disabled,We had everything before our world fell apart. Own house,car's, 4 holiday's abroad a year, saving's. Within 3 year's of my wife's accident we lost everything .We now live in a 3 bed council house and have a mobility car..end of !..Bedroom tax...We filled in the green form exemption last feb and got full exemption for this year and will be doing it again this year.The guy who call's himself "This shit again" You reap what you sow!!!! your world could fall apart in a second..With a bit of luck i hope it does then you will see what can happen in the real world....

Reply Posted by Welcome to Reality Street on Thursday January 23 2014 at 07:11
I occasionally hear people on benefits refer to their payments as 'wages'. They are not wages they are handouts from the state paid for by working taxpayers. Glad this Government has brought in benefits cap so recipients don't receive more than average salaries.