Care Home Manager Struck Off

Wednesday January 15 2014

A CARE HOME manager caught trying to force feed a dementia sufferer has been struck off following a hearing in London.

Janet Portman was overheard shouting 'eat' at the elderly woman on the Ferrymoor Unit of the Hall Steads Residential Nursing Home on Stacey Crescent, Grimethorpe.

She also told the patient: "Get this in now or you will have this gel stuffed down your throat."

A relative visiting another resident was left 'astounded and shocked' after witnessing the incident.

Portman was sacked in March 2012 for gross misconduct.

She accepted during an internal investigation that she had said 'eat' and 'eat that now' to the frail woman.

She had maintained she had to raise her voice as the patient wore a hearing aid, and that it had been essential she eat after suffering a hypoglycaemic attack two days earlier.

But the Nursing and Midwifery Council panel considered the actions distressing to residents and their families and set a bad example to her colleagues.

Chairman Polly Clarke said: "It undermined Resident A’s autonomy and diminished her dignity."

She said the 'degree of humiliation' could have resulted in 'psychological harm' to the patient.

The panel cleared Portman of an allegation that she pushed the woman back into her chair due to insufficient evidence.

Portman's name has been struck from the register and she will not be able to apply for restitution for five years.

A spokesman for the home said: "The behaviour of Janet Portman, a fully qualified and experienced nurse, was unacceptable.

"We dismissed her in 2012 and reported her actions to relevant authorities."

Reply Posted by Nameless on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 12:46
Absolutly disgusting. It really makes you think about what type of people are being hired to work in care homes.

Reply Posted by helen bouskill on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 12:51
She can apply t b reinstated after 5yrs??? She shud b struk off for life!!

Reply Posted by Dawn on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 15:42
I agree x

Reply Posted by freedom on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 12:57
i would think that its just the tip of the iceberg regarding the care sector i hear nightmare stories all the time about the learning disabilities part of it and the companies thet have been reported to the cqc and have got away with it scott free its all a big money making rackect average weekly fees of £2.700 work that one out

Reply Posted by Nameless on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 12:58
Yes she should i totally agree. It makea you wonder what else she has done and not been caught. I work in homes myself an the vast majority of the people ive had pleasure working with have been brilliant. Although i have whistle blown once which got me absolutly knowwhere.

Reply Posted by sally on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:05
My daughter doing works experience in a home and is disgusted by they way the old people are treated

Reply Posted by joanne on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:11
She should be banned for life not just 5 years my dad got diagnosed last year with dementia and he was petrified to come to terms with it cos he thought that we would put him in a home until reassuring him we would never put him in one

Reply Posted by j on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:11
having worked in the care sector at two different care homes, I have never witnessed any of the disgusting behaviour mentioned above, but should I do so, then I would be the first to shout it from the rooftops and make damn sure everyone knew. Trouble is, I feel so sorry for all the dedicated, loving, compassionate care staff who now get tarnished with the same brush!! One bad apple eh? To freedom - do you mean £2,700?? Only just over a tenth of that per week in the homes I have worked in, the average resident paying £120 per week from their income.

Reply Posted by Nameless on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:12
I work for a care agency and prefer it that way. I found when i worked full time in one place i hated it as things werent as they should be. Alot of the time the staff are great and have to work with what they have due to the company penny pinching and not supplying correct ppe and equipment. Then theres the place that have disgusting care standards and are left by cqc to carry on. With the rates that are paid for care the standard of care that is given should be of the highest.

Reply Posted by Intheknow on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:16
I know of a couple more employees at that place have been suspended for mistreatment. They should be jailed in my opinion

Reply Posted by Rothschild on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:18
Unfortunately it's a sign of the times, and an inevitability in todays and future paradigm. She was a manager, and all too often the proverbial excrement of society rises to the top, as these people are ambitious and money driven. Her actions speak of someone who cared if this lady didn't eat because it could lead to harm, but she didn't care from an empathetic perspective, she cared because it would look bad on her and threaten her career prospects, or it would simply cause more work for her, explaining why this lady suffered illness through malnutrition. Caring for the vulnerable is now primarily a business, and as a business staff are hired that are able to meet objectives and targets, not necessarily that actually have a caring and empathetic nature suitable for such a role. Sad times when ordinary people become so driven by profit that they put there financial standing ahead of the lives and dignities of others, and particularly the vulnerable. If money was even real I might understand, but it ain't. Can't wait til I'm old. By the way things are going when I get to retirement age they'll jus march old people off a cliff once you're unable to work. Sad, sad times.

Reply Posted by sally on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:22
Well what is happening in the care system. It beggars belief that a Nurse could treat a person like that. That nurse should never be allowed to work again in the said profession. Struck off the register should mean that and for life. Not 5 years. Do they think a 5 year gap will change her attitude and behaviour toward the sick and vulnerable. I very much doubt it. Nursing the sick is a vocation and is supposed to be very caring. This kind of thing happens in several areas of care and without witnesses theres very little to be done. So well done for standing up to such an evil vindictive excuse for a human being Why has she not been prosecuted and sent to prison, for cruelty. If I ever find out she works in a home or likewise I WILL IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE EMPLOYER. She should get a market job or work in a butchers. EVIL BITCH.

Reply Posted by Dawn on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 15:41
I totally agree x

Reply Posted by nasty on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:58
Bupa care home

Reply Posted by Elaine on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 14:05
She also force fed my dad and when I reported it I was told she had already been dismissed for another case,Saddly he died a little later and didn't live to see this he would have been so pleased to see she was brought to justice 5 years is not enough she should have got time the management team need to take ownership of this for not listening to their staff when they reported her for abuse I work in the care sector and not all care staff are the same its such as this person that we all get tarred with the same brush

Reply Posted by Janet Irwin on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 14:24
Discusting but kind of stuff still goes on all over the country but is swept under the carpet

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 14:28
Aww @Elaine I am sure your father will be looking down with a smile on his face knowing this woman as been struck off and can't cause anymore harm to any one. Where I live there was a care home and three women had been beating the elderly and luckily they were arrested I was truly disgusted as I am at this news. Hopefully she will never be able to work with anyone again and her name is in ruins and unemployable for the rest of her life.

Reply Posted by debbie on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 15:02
my grandma was at this care home and I can say is she was gave wonderful care by the staff.Not all people are like this vile women that worked here.The girls are great and work very hard

Reply Posted by brian jones on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 15:55
ive heard it at other nursing homes in the area ...but nothing was done when it was reported

Reply Posted by Sharon on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 16:09
so many homes in the private sector are institutionalised, i have worked in the private sector for many years and am fortunate to have worked in good care homes, i agree with nameless, alot of people dont realise how penny pinching the propietors are, staff try their hardest of what little they have, food is always poor quality, this is because some homes are given around £2.00 a day each client to feed them 3 meals a day, most homes these days care more about the looks of the homes and not to provide a duty of care, QCC are a waste of space and so are social services, it's about time they started doing unannounced inspections, that would catch them out

Reply Posted by Ros on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 16:17
This is absolutely disgusting, so glad that bitch as been named and shamed but she should also be banned for life for working in nursing or care homes, good job i dont know her personally

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 16:28
I work at this care home and can safely say that the unit in which this horrible act took place has changed. We have a new building, new name and some new staff. The residents on our new dementia unit, their families and the staff who work to provide excellent care for the residents have never been happier.
Please do not pull the home to pieces because of this story, which may I add happened 2 years ago. We have had a total transformation and our residents on our unit are happy.

And @ Intheknow, reguarding any other incidents at the home. The right action is taken immediately and the right authorities are involved in bringing the matter to a close.
DO NOT tar every staff member with the same brush. I can tell you now, nobody is like her.

Reply Posted by j on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 16:37
Well said anon - it is totally unfair to tarnish the home with a bad reputation when the incident was 2 years since. The staff are left to take the brunt of the insults and made to feel as though it was 'their' fault. The majority give everything they have, physically and emotionally to the residents - but of course, no-one sees that. It is about time the carers were given the credit to which they are due, but tarring them with the same brush, paying them minimum wage is a total insult to the work the good carers do.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 17:16
Thanks @ j
Its totally unfair on the staff who work there now been brought into this. Like you said it makes us who work there feel as if we are no better.

Reply Posted by Jb on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 19:33
If the staff were valued and paid a half decent wage then they might get half decent staff that care about the job they are doing. The staff in these places come and go and are paid minimum wage most of the time. I have seen people walk in and ask for a job and start the same day with no checks or anything, CRB,s are eventually sent for but the person can work there months before they come back.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday January 16 2014 at 00:14
Are you saying people can gain employment before a CRB results come back. What causes the delay cheers.

Reply Posted by Claire on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:17
totally in agreement Jb, i have worked with clients who have mentally related disease's for many years, and i'm still learning,there should be an age limit on staff in dementia care, it amaze's me how an employee can give someone with no experience a job caring for someone with demenita, it all boils down to pay, it's cheaper to pay an 18yr old, than it is someone at 22................

Reply Posted by Ossie Naylor on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:27
I was a carer for a couple of years for my wife's aunt during her mid to late eighties. After a spell in hospital I decided that the best way to care for her was to find a home. Since a couple of homes in the area had well reported deficiencies I would visit her each day just to keep an eye on her care. Except for a few minor issues her care was quite good. I use the word 'quite' because the staffing numbers were low resulting in insufficient time for staff to interact with the residents and really get to know them. A small number of visitors are involved with social activities at the home even though their relatives are now deceased, that includes myself. As the home has become largely by default a dementia unit the staff have a hard time gathering together residents for a singalong and other entertainment and then returning them to their respective rooms or to sitting rooms. The company bosses need to revisit their reasons for being in such a business and raise the standards of training, management and general care particularly for those who, for whatever reasons, receive few or no visits from family. Their are some wonderful care homes out their and some terrible homes. In between their are many that need great improvement in the way that they are managed. On my visits I look about and ask. "Am I staring my future in the face"? I do hope that ways are found to raise the standards in this country.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday January 16 2014 at 00:10
I hope I never have to live my life in a home. Hope when The Lord says my numbers up I go in my sleep.

Profit is far more important than personal care.

Reply Posted by Dan on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:30
@Jb completely agree about caring staff being a paid a better wage but this was a manager, who probably got paid well. Its terrible that a woman in her position has done this and its a shame that the staff currently working at the home may be judged because of this, I hope they don't. I have had dealings with Hallstead's and the staff, in my experience are caring and professional.

Reply Posted by Janetirwin on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:46
How much more did she get away with because am sure that wasn't the first time and how come it took an outsider to report her how come staff that work there have not seen and heard things umm ?

Reply Posted by anon?? on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 22:53
@Janetirwin. staff may have found it difficult to report her as if she bullies people in this way she could easily bully the staff in the same way.not that this justifies her actiona.ahe should be in prison as she has been found guilty and not allowed to work with vulnerable adulta or children again.

Reply Posted by bad on Thursday January 16 2014 at 07:06
1 thing she use to be a good carer and looked after her paitiant very well and use to complain when another member was miss treating them but 5 yr isnt enough but she will not get another job in care homes coz her name is black now i hate when people miss treat others disability or not yes she should be locked up and im afrade to say she wasnt a bully she gave them all the biggest sob story (all a pack of lies) so the other staff felt sorry for her till 1 found the truth plus she was truning up smelling of beer and shouting at every 1 but for some reason no 1 reported her and karma as already hit her hard and soon will hit again she was never a nice person and to @elaine i am so sorry to hear that about ya dad but he will be looking down and laughing but ye she should have been locked up

Reply Posted by folly on Thursday January 16 2014 at 14:27
Apparently it were other staff members that reported her ,not a relative ,and she was doing a grand job thats why they promoted her ,not long after the promotion she has accusations made against her ,i do know her and i personaly was shocked when these accusations were made ,as she is a caring person who will give you her last penny,am s
The trial was held in bloody london ,she did not have the bloody money to go through and stay

Reply Posted by hmmm on Thursday January 16 2014 at 22:23
Discusting.......!!!!! 5 years is NOT enough!!!

Reply Posted by bananas on Friday January 17 2014 at 11:00
execute.

Reply Posted by blondie on Friday January 17 2014 at 12:40
I have worked in the private care sector for over 20 years & currently work in a unit with people in advanced stages of dementia. I dont agree that people enter a caring profession for money because, quite frankly the wages are shite and I'm sure that most, like myself work for just a little over of the minimum wage. Incidents like this are down to the individual, as they are just not equiped to deal with the challenges they are faced with on a day to day basis. You can have a list of qualifications as long as your arm but these will not make you a CARER. Patience and empathy are what is required and the desire to make other peoples lives better. I can sleep at night knowing I have done my very best for every client on my unit & I know there are a hell of a lot of other carers that can say that same! So please don't tar us all with the same brush as this scum bag because 99% of us do CARE x

Reply Posted by c on Friday January 17 2014 at 12:51
I do know her and im not going to coment as dont know the full story, but She was caring and hard working, i work in care and have done for 18 years i hope people that are commenting have.worked in care as its a very hard job for little appreciation from your employiee, everyone hears about this sort of thing but Know one hears about the majority that are doing a fantanstic job, we just get tared with the same brush.

Reply Posted by c on Friday January 17 2014 at 12:54
Agree blondie

Reply Posted by R on Friday January 17 2014 at 17:15
Completely agree blondie!!!!

Reply Posted by julie on Monday January 20 2014 at 12:29
I agree she should be stuck of for live not 5 yrs it's called care for a reason if she doesn't care for the residents she's in the wrong job but that's I you see there's only care jobs available nowadays x

Reply Posted by nic on Monday January 20 2014 at 13:10
People saying if care staff are paid better what a load of rubbish if you're not the caring type of person no amount of money or training is going to make any difference.

Reply Posted by Geoff on Monday January 20 2014 at 22:38
The lady in question did get suspended the minute a staff member reported her. What more can the home have done ??she was not a care home manager she was a unit manager.
I used to work at this home untill I recently retired, and we all got the correct training, infact I have never in all my days caring at different homes had as much training as I did here! It's not right to slate the home because of 1 person! Yes I agree if it had been going on some time and the home diddnt do a thing, then the home would be to blame but it wasn't!! But it was instantly dealt with..
As for poor pay i strongly disagree if you pay more you get better staff this was a nurse gaining a very good salary

Reply Posted by Burt on Tuesday January 21 2014 at 12:36
Pay Peanuts- get Monkies.