Firm Invests £20m In Barnsley Factory

Tuesday January 14 2014

A COMPANY who owns the iconic Mr Kipling bakery business has pledged to invest £20m into its Barnsley manufacturing site.

Premier Foods said it would invest in building a new production and packing line at the site on Fish Dam Lane, Carlton.

The factory employs about 680 people, but it's able to accommodate up to 980 for seasonal work. It's hoped the investment will also create new jobs.

The all-new line will be capable of producing 300 million cake slices a year - doubling the company’s current capacity.

Jason Ramsay, factory general manager for the Carlton site, said: "This investment is a strong vote of confidence by Premier Foods in the Carlton site and the Carlton workforce.

"We have been manufacturing Mr Kipling cakes at Carlton since 1975 and this latest news is a huge boost for all of us."

Cllr Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for development, environment and culture, said: "Barnsley Council is delighted to hear this great news, both for Barnsley and for the employees of the Carlton factory.

"This investment will no doubt be a huge boost to those working at the factory, as well as having a positive impact on our local economy and community.

"This also shows Barnsley is open for business."

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:42
well said roy.

Reply Posted by LOL on Thursday January 16 2014 at 09:07
LOOK NORTH SAID IT WAS £100 MILLON.

Reply Posted by jister on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 16:02
More part time agency jobs then

Reply Posted by 12345 on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 16:32
I knew somebody would see a negative in this... there you go.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 19:19
jister is only speaking the truth 12345 , perhaps is the people of our town actually got their heads out of their arses then they might actually realise what is happening in the world of work in our once proud town.

Reply Posted by Daveyboy on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 23:46
This is exceeding good news for town.

Reply Posted by lol---Daveyboy Chrocket on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 08:28
Mr kipling bugger off.

Reply Posted by mp on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 02:46
Its a great achievement!

Reply Posted by Geoff Thomas on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 13:08
More exceedingly fine cakes from a town with some exceedingly negative people. Never in my life have I experienced such negativity, not to mention exceedingly poor educational standards if the spelling of many posts is anything to go by. It's a good job that Premier Foods (and Mr Kipling) have placed such faith in the people of Barnsley/Carlton when, if they read some of the comments on this website, they could be excused for running somewhere (anywhere) else...and fast!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 17:16
I take it you have a decent job then Geoff and have never had to throw yourself at the mercy of the "hire and fire" agencies that are prevalent in nearly every major employer in our town?
No thought not, then don't comment on something you know sod all about.

Reply Posted by AlanB on Thursday January 16 2014 at 18:59
Not sure what the relevance of that comment is Steveo. Any investment in our town should surely be encouraged and welcomed. You appear to be a very negative person.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday January 18 2014 at 12:44
AlanB the negativity comes from having to throw oneself at the mercy of the "hire and fire" agencies who as it says on the tin "hire and fire" at will.
I do agree it IS fantastic news that one of the towns major employers are expanding, but it is not necessarily good news for the people that may want to work there.

Reply Posted by Mrs Kipling on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 14:07
Uve obviously never worked there Geoff. It's full of negative arseholes anyway!!!

Reply Posted by Geoff Thomas on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 23:53
Actually, Steveo, I'm a freelance worker so I have to throw myself at the mercy of clients who 'hire and fire' all the time, with relentless and constant regularity. And is it customary in Barnsley to be so incredibly rude to people you've never even met or talked to? Judging by your personal comments, I think you must be a very unpleasant person and I reserve the right to comment on situations as I see fit...without being cruel and hurtful to individuals.

Reply Posted by Observer on Thursday January 16 2014 at 07:25
Geoff. Steveo is correct in his words.jister is also correct. Would i not be correct in saying that there is a vast percentage of eastern earopeans working at mr kiplings ? We are not being negative in what we say on here. We are being positive. People ned regular work. With good holidays. With affordable wages. Which lead to quality living standards. Surely you do not want a life whereby your daily work hours, or weekly, are determined by a text message to your fone ? No, sorry, until cpmpanies within the town come up with good wages and holidays etc. this is not positive steps as far as i am concerned. It must be the way things are at the moment. Which people sadly accept. I cannot accept less than i stated. If companies want to move from the town, so be it. Let them manipulate other ethnic groups at other parts of the country. Common sense would inform anyone not to buy the products they make. Leavjng them with no business. Its not difficult. If you think this is positive and good for the town and the country. So be it.mthat is your opinion. Very sad

Reply Posted by Geoff Thomas on Thursday January 16 2014 at 10:36
As I said, I am a freelance worker so don't get paid holidays at all and I only get paid if I'm good at what I do and I'm in competition with loads of others in my field. All the research I've read shows that the Eastern European workers do jobs that well-educated and intelligent Brits don't want to do, so what's the problem? I went to a secondary modern school and worked hard at my lessons/exams so that I could go to college and train to do what I wanted to do. There are far too many people (and not all of them in Barnsley!) that think the country or town owes them a living. Not so, I'm afraid. If the wage package at Mr Kipling isn't what you want or need, then go and work somewhere else if you have the right skills. If you haven't, then nobody's to blame but you.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday January 18 2014 at 12:50
Geoff, I actually agree with the bottom 5 lines of your comment, however, one has to look at the employment opportunities in our town.
90% (est) of the jobs available are via "hire and fire" agencies who pay MW or just above the MW and actively solely employ Eastern Europeans in favour of people that are born and bred in this country.
We have one of the largest youth unemployment rates for a town of our size in Western Europe, how can the young uns possibly compete with the Eastern Europeans when agencies actively discriminate against them by sending solely Eastern European labour to employers?
Symphony at Grimethorpe being classic example, the stats of 92% Eastern European labour is eye watering is it not?

Our young uns never get a decent bite of the cherry....

Reply Posted by Miserable on Thursday January 16 2014 at 09:06
Geoff is right.. what a moaning bunch of people! Still chips on the shoulder about the pits closing 30 years ago. Only you lot could make a brilliant story like this seem like a bad one!! what if the story was about the factory closing down? I guess you'd be happy then! Geoff, We aren't ALL like the lazy layabouts that post on here. Well done to Mr kipling for investing in Barnsley and long may your lovely cakes reign!!*eats bakewell tart*

Reply Posted by Geoff Thomas on Thursday January 16 2014 at 10:42
You're absolutely right, Miserable. Premier Foods bring much-needed jobs and money into the Barnsley economy and I can't see what the problem is. I'm totally dependent on my 'phone ringing to tell me whether I'm working today or not and I don't complain. It's FAR too easy to be negative and downbeat about a good news story. And I know that not everyone in Barnsley is negative and sad about this inward invesement. But I still find it difficult to understand why local folk think that the world owes them a living. In society there are winners and losers and the latter are wallowing in self-pity because they didn't take the opportunity that was offered - for free - to get a good education and improve their lives. That makes me very sad...and if I wasn't diabetic, I'd join you with a scrummy Bakewell tart from Mr Kipling!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday January 16 2014 at 19:25
Case closed by dangerous below Geoff Thomas.

Reply Posted by dangerous on Thursday January 16 2014 at 16:44
Mr Thomas,
I work there, I am a permanent employee. I have recently checked dept of works and pensions website and I would actually be better off financially on the dole. Read into this what you will and by the way I have 'A' levels and went to college.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday January 16 2014 at 19:37
Hundred years of hard working people fighting for a fair days pay for a fair work.

You work to Live not. live to work.Wake up before it's too late

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday January 17 2014 at 21:00
Your wasting yer time mate, the idiots on here wont have it...

Reply Posted by Mr kahan here on Thursday January 16 2014 at 19:42
Sadly Kfc People cant bloody wake up has there always at bloody work. Same has my bloody shop OPEN 6AM - 11PM EVERY BLOODY DAY MAN. No time for sleep in my new Anderson shelter.

last night I was that bloody drunk on Kestrel I woke up in the bloody dog kennel. Must dash pray mat calling..mr khan serving bloody Barnsley over 40yrs.

Reply Posted by peppi on Saturday January 18 2014 at 04:31
Great news for the workforce and maybe the unemployed of Barnsley ( my home town)

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday January 18 2014 at 13:39
Perhaps we are all reading a lot more into this story, yes theres going to be investment in the Carlton plant but not necessarily new jobs created due to the investment.
In fact they are talking of "robotic" packaging machines so there may even be job CUTS.

We will have to wait and find out.

Reply Posted by Jane Rusling on Thursday November 10 2016 at 11:52
I am looking for a great job how do I go about it please let me know thank you