Men Face Jail After Town Centre Attack

Monday January 13 2014

Barnsley Magistrates' Court Barnsley Magistrates' Court

TWO men who kicked and stamped on their victim in a town centre attack have been warned they face jail.

Adam Paul Brook, 29, and Matthew Brown, 21, left another man unconscious after the assault, Barnsley Magistrates' Court was told.

Chantel Lowery-Green, prosecuting, said the incident started on Wellington Street when Brook punched the man in the face.

The victim was chased by both men towards Peel Square.

She added: "Mr Brown tripped up the victim. While he was on the floor, Mr Brook stamped on the victim's head.

"Three or four kicks by one of the defendants left the victim unconscious. He was still unconscious when a nurse out in the town centre arrived at the scene."

Mrs Lowery-Green said the victim, who was taken to Barnsley Hospital, suffered minor head injuries.

Gerard Casey, representing Brook, and Gus Kennedy, representing Brown, reserved the right to put the defence case later.

District Judge John Foster said jail must be considered.

He said he did not rule out sending the two men to Sheffield Crown Court for sentencing.

Brook, of Manse Farm Mews, Pontefract Road, Cudworth, and Brown, of Pinehall Drive, Monk Bretton, admitted affray.

Their case was adjourned until January 31 and they were granted conditional bail.

Reply Posted by Young Morris on Monday January 13 2014 at 11:33
Tough lads stamping on a man when he's on the floor.

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday January 13 2014 at 11:47
see how tough they are in prison. must likely quite as mice. hope they don't drop there soap.

Reply Posted by kelly on Monday January 13 2014 at 12:32
Not so hard when they had to fight as a pair

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 12:47
Don't know how another human can stomp on another human head like that Chuffin animals deserve locking up for a long time

Reply Posted by Richard Crossland on Monday January 13 2014 at 12:49
I'm sure there are two sides to this. I know Adam and he isn't violent.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:25
He is tho @richard isn't he!
If the victim had been mouthing and tempers flared,well,maybe a punch! But they chased him! They could have stopped!
Animals!

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday January 13 2014 at 12:53
im sure theres 2 sides to every story. im also sure 2 on to 1 is out of order.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 12:59
Yes and I'm sure there were two sides to that lads face but one side got stomped on by this non violent person

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 13:00
Persons

Reply Posted by ribyn on Monday January 13 2014 at 13:09
Im very close to the victim of this and you obviously havent witnessed the cctv to know how violent your friend actually is!

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 13 2014 at 13:30
Booze go out like lambs and by end of night think they're lions that can fight the world. It's disgusting what these to men have done. If a jail term makes them think twice before they do anything like that again then get it done. I'm fed up of hearing about violence in the town groups of lads attacking others. Going out should be a pleasure and somewhere to enjoy yourself and let go from the stress of the week. Not going out wondering if you're even gonna make it home safe. Friend of mine got beat up walking home from town before Christmas and was set on by group of lads woke up after a period of unconsciousness. I despair with the world of today. No one has compassion anymore. And short fuses. People need to stop and think!!!

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 13 2014 at 13:35
That post is 100%correct. Surely everyone else will agree.

Reply Posted by Jill on Monday January 13 2014 at 14:52
Should think themselves lucky they are not looking at manslaughter!! Stamping on someones head?? And he's not violent!! God I'd hate to see his soft side!! Lowest form of scum!!

Reply Posted by Wesley on Monday January 13 2014 at 15:40
Scum 2 on 1 hard men deserve jail

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 16:32
This is why people hate going into town to have a drink and a dance because there's too much violence my partner went into town on mad Friday just because he's a big lad instantly little boys wanting to fight him for what having muscles pathetic.

Reply Posted by Adam on Monday January 13 2014 at 17:21
Thanks Richard, you don’t have to defend me against the comments on here though, I owe my explanation to the courts. As the article says only one side of the story has been heard and the defence has not yet been put forward. I accept what I did was very wrong and deserves punishment, however. This article does not speak entirely the truth, which I believe makes them liable for slander. Nor does it talk of the ‘Victim’s’ prior attack which left someone in hospital. What I would like to do is apologise to everyone who knows me better, all my friends and family for disappointing them. All the years I spent at University and my qualification now become worthless, the damage to my name in the architectural profession is already irreversible, I am sure I will pay a very costly price.

Reply Posted by Warrior on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:06
Adam coming on here and showing your remorse may help. You fully understand you have crossed the line.

I had a friend in your situation that doing 14 years for manslaughter.

The people the victims deserve protection from people such as you and your mate.

Yes they is two sides to ever story but NOTHING excuses your behaviour.

I would say 100% that you will spend time behind bars. This will give you real time to reflect on your actions.

Don't book any holidays my posts may seem harsh but in 2014 that's what the public demands and in your case. I believe that's whats coming.

You are still young enough to rebuild your life. Just be more choosy of your friends.

Reply Posted by Should have thought better on Monday January 13 2014 at 17:33
Always 2 sides to a story. But it don't look good Adam when the report is saying 2 versus 1. Hopefully mate it wont ruin your career all together. Have your day in court.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 17:57
Omg I thought you would be some little scummy shit no job practically a thug but you had a fantastic career infront of you all that hard work you've done at university and like you say all them qualifications you thrown away but a supose no one can punish you as much as yourself for messing up your life with this hanging over your name I just hope you learn from this as violence solves nothing and it doesn't justify beating him up because he did it your 4yrs older than me and I really can't understand why any one would stamp on another's head you both could have killed him doesn't that scare you both your violence aswell as your friend could have ended some ones life? Scary just thinking about it

Reply Posted by typical on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:53
So what your saying Lauren is that you judged him?

Reply Posted by Miss.N on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:02
Adam it doesn't make them liable for slander. Slander is spoken for one and libel is written. Further it can only be judged as such if the "sting" of the statement is untrue. In this case it would be the violent attack on the man. From what you've said this is true so therefore no slander or libel committed.

Violence should never be met with violence, but it is good you are remorseful.

Hope it doesn't tarnish you forever (that sounds sarcastic but I don't mean it to sound sarcastic, I mean it genuinely even if I disagree with what you did).

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:06
Is Adam remorseful or just feeling very silly and sorry for himself???
Send Adam to jail,he can find remorse in there!

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:05
You've said it all Lauren. My son was assaulted,they broke his leg! Its despicable. Sorry mate, hope you go down! This post isn't about you, you're a scumbag! Pay the guys wages while he's off work why don't you? My lad lost 12 weeks pay and was lucky the company worked round him!
No sympathy.

Reply Posted by Harry on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:31
Yes they could have stopped low life's hope they go to jail heard the lad was in a bad way hope he's ok

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:38
@Warrior he may be able to rebuild his life but what about the lad who was left unconscious will he be able to how is this attack goin to affect him what bout his lively hood I hope he doesn't might be harsh but I hope it hangs over him forever he has to live with it so why not Adam

@Anon I just say it how it is but thanks and I've been jumped in town while pregnant only 16 and luckily I managed to protect my baby and she's perfectly fine a beautiful 8yr old but the outcomes could have been different and this was at the market on the ramp going from the car parking area with loads of people watching that what made me mad was they watched and did nothing until I said I was pregnant I need to go to hospital for a check up the 8 girls who attacked got a caution hopefully justice will be done for this lad

Reply Posted by Warrior on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:48
@laureen I totally feel for the victim and hope makes a quick recovery..I've already said in my opinion they could and now I will clarify it THEY should go to prison.

People should be able to go anyway in society and not feel threatened or intimidated by thugs and this is how Adam behaved in this instance.

Until the Magistrates and Judges are given clear sentencing guidelines from the Home Secretary then the law is a ass.

Just to put e spanner in the works if it was a member of my son or family member they had attacked they would have been begging the magistrate to put them behind bars for their own protection.

I live in a world where a eye for a eye comes to mind.

And most importantly always have respect for yourself and other people.

Hope that clarifies the point Lauren.

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:54
Let the guy have his say in court first before you hang draw and quarter him. Like what has been said there is ALWAYS two sides to every story.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:03
Yes Ackerman,let's hear the excuse as to why two guys would chase one guy, get him on the floor and stamp on his head!
What did the victim do to them I wonder? Swear? Call them a soppy name? Give them a funny look?
Should be interesting. If your son was the victim you,d really want to know eh? The reason would not be good enough mate. The guy could have been killed. Its non excusable.

Reply Posted by Jon on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:54
Are the 2 lads getting done for GBH OR ABH which carries a maximum sentence. 4 YRS TO 15 YRS,

Reply Posted by Warrior on Monday January 13 2014 at 18:56
Admitted affray just got deeper.

Reply Posted by Jon on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:04
Affray has no sentencing guidelines, up to the judge on the day.

Reply Posted by Harry on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:00
Yes they is 2sides to every story but why 2to stomp on a persons head

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:01
@Warrior violence solves nothing even if it was my child we as parent have to be bigger and better than these thugs or we are just as bad as they are my words are all I need I have never been in a fight I may have Been beaten as a child and jumped on by 8 lasses but I never hit back inner strength annoys them more than giving some one a smack it solves nothing it just creates more problems and yes I understand what you are saying I thought your were hoping for him to rebuild his life

Reply Posted by Warrior on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:10
It's the sign of the times the Police don't treat attacks or violence on people seriously. The law is for the thugs and not the victims.

So yes I would defend my family at all costs and gladly serve time to get my point over.

Wrong bit the right thing to do in 2014.

Who else is going to remove this scum of the streets .

Reply Posted by anon on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:16
@warrior,I'm with you!
I didn't defend my lad, we put our trust in the law,they got off Scott free. Never again!
It is wrong,but what can you do? Let the scummers rule the town? No!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:05
Warrior Jon is right affray carries a Maximum sentence of three years.

These lads are going down and quiet rightly so.The Police will not accept anything else with this crime.

Reply Posted by Customs on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:14
Passports plz

Reply Posted by S on Monday January 13 2014 at 19:40
Let's not judge anyone till we all no the full story, I don't agree with hitting someone while they are on the floor, I nearly got sent to prison for an affray, I had my name dragged through the mud and I had the lads family on my back for ages until I got me side of the story across in crown court, the guy had smacked my girlfriend at the time in the belly and she was pregnant so I chased him down the street and hit him a couple of times but he when down really hard on his head and was in hospital for 5 days.

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday January 13 2014 at 20:32
Not to make light of this story,
But, @me, I love it, snippers on the roofs, what I cracking idea, how do I apply, I'll do it for free!!!!

Reply Posted by nurse on Monday January 13 2014 at 20:37
I was the nurse who not only helped the unconscious lad out but also withness what happened! There are always twon sides to every story but kicking someone in head and stmoping on them when there on the floor unable to fight back is what I call a cowdace! It was an absolute horrendous thing to have to witness and what's more when u were confronted by two men not involved what happened oh yeah u ran away!

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday January 13 2014 at 21:22
With the sounds of it love it's a good job you were there to help out.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Monday January 13 2014 at 22:14
Nice one me.

Reply Posted by shireen on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 04:36
Well Adam you are actually a very nasty violent man and you deserve everything coming to you. You've made yourself look very small, Have you never been taught not to hit let alone anyone around the head. My vision of you is you've got a nasty temper, you need anger management and last but not least never have children because I dread to think what you'd do to a defenceless child who might rub you up the wrong way. I hope you and anyone who uses violence goes to prison for a long time If you were my Son I would disown you and if I was the victims Mother I'd be devastated, wht goes around comes around..

Reply Posted by Daisy on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 08:45
Vile creatures!!! Sorry lad but you both want your heads stamping on see how you like it! Absolutely disguising how folk act these days!! What happened to 'think before you act' ? Hopefully, you'll both go to prison and pay the price! #justsaying!

Reply Posted by Ben Dover on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 08:57
If its the Adam i no he wunt mind droppin his soap in shower even tho hes not tht way inclined ha ha ha jk lad

Reply Posted by Louisa on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 09:01
A girl who did the same as well as previous arrests for fighting, steeling only got 3 months and thts all they will get

Reply Posted by no above on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 09:14
that was 1 on 1 not 2 on 1 please don't make silly comments. unless you def know these scum will only get 3 months.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:06
Poor you adam. Looking for sympathy on here wont get you far. Does it not even phase you that one more blow to his head an you could have killed him. What about his family? Who cares if your family are dissapointed in you have you tried thinking of his family once thay found out he had been violently attacked and is his hospital. Does it even matter what the victim did prior to these events.. if you thought it was so bad what he had done you wouldnt have done it yourself! What you did was cruel and disgusting. How can you be as selfish to think about your career when you could have made the victim disabled and possibly unable to ever work again. Vile!!!

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 13:43
Violence solves nothing. People need to use there brains before there fists I've never had to fight because my words are better and my point is made in a decent way the grown up way

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 14:24
What I am saying is simple you don't solve things with violence how hard is that to understand just because this lad has put some one in hospital does not give Adam the right to put him in hospital there better ways of solving your problem. And yes I supose I have judge him he's in the wrong and deserves a punishment simple as hes messed his career and every one else agrees with me so don't just pull me on this every one else I saying the same

Reply Posted by Customs on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 16:12
I said PASSPORT NOW PLZ

Reply Posted by Harry on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 17:30
The only person who ended up in hospital was the lad who had his head stomp on

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 18:43
If you read what Adam has wrote he said the lad he stamped on had hospitlised someone else and that is why he stamped on his head. Read Adams comment.

Reply Posted by sue on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 18:54
We may assume Lauren,that harry might know the victim? And so is stating a fact? Just guessing.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 19:19
Just saying to read Adams comment then he will understand why I have put what I have in my comment because Adam said himself the victim hospitalized some one and that's why he and his mate attacked him but two wrongs don't make a right

Reply Posted by Harry on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 18:16
Lauren Adam is lieing

Reply Posted by Harry on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 18:19
One person ended up in hospital and it was the poor lad who got chased and his head stomp on by 2 animals for nothing

Reply Posted by Bruce sure on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 22:01
Never heard as much crap. Nice kid or not done crime now do the time. Can't be careful don't caught!! He didn't do naff all to no one. That's a made up defence which will not wash with anyone.

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 16 2014 at 00:37
I was just repeating what he put even if that did do that doesn't justify him and a mate stamping on his head

Reply Posted by Eric holt on Thursday January 16 2014 at 08:59
Lauren climb out of his ass

Reply Posted by Katherine on Friday January 17 2014 at 08:08
they shouldn't be allowed to have bail

Reply Posted by Deano on Friday January 17 2014 at 08:21
U reap what u sow in this life! Seen it so many times in the town centre it's appalling. Hence why I stay out. Prefer a quiet local. I've managed pubs and seen perfectly nice calm respectful men turn into vile monsters! Lets see all the evidence before anyone starts judging !! But stamping on someone's head shows the MENTALITY of this town ! That nurse deserves a bleeding medal too!! Well done lass!!! Proud of ya! Barnsley sickens me at times! Nowt changes! If you're a man Adam u should be publicly apologising to the victim. Man up!

Reply Posted by Elaine on Friday January 17 2014 at 08:22
You comment on here Adam you are gulty so don't try the sympathy route it doesn't work. The victim will suffer so why should you get off scott free you need to be locked up and the key thrown away.

Reply Posted by Boredofreadinglaurenscomments on Friday January 17 2014 at 08:23
Someone get Lauren away from the internet! Sick and tired of reading her stupid comments. Every single chance she gets she is on here slagging people off and causing rows. Bore off and get a life you saddo.

Reply Posted by Donna on Friday January 17 2014 at 08:37
Don't care who knows who and how unlike them it is. They did it, they are evil and need punishing. How anyone can hurt about her person like that I will never know and then for some one to try and justify it by say well it's not like them, make my bLood boil and is what is wrong with society today.
That would be like a judge saying it's ok that you killed the man because he looked at you funny.
Honestly, people today.
I can guarantee they won't go to prison for more than a few week to.
Not much of a deterant. About time we got tough on sentencing and bring back death sentence for rapist, peodophiles and murders.
We as a country just keep letting people do as they please. Before long we will be one of the worlds worst places to live.
It terrifies me the world that my children have to grow up in, because of scumbags like these

Reply Posted by PR on Friday January 17 2014 at 08:42
If this is the same Adam brook who went to Royston High then I really am shocked. He never put a foot out of line when I knew him. But unfortunately if you do something like this then you have to suffer the consequences and think more of the victim, not youself. Apologise in front of the judge and his family, not on here.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 17 2014 at 10:11
It is very wrong what he's done & he's clearly showing remorse for his actions, i too went to school with Adam so I am shocked that its him!!! For all you that don't know him. this mite aswell be cyber bullying!!! Like he says he's already lost his career, & everything he's worked hard for... lost the respect of family & work colleagues.

Reply Posted by Agree^ on Friday January 17 2014 at 12:11
I too have known Adam since nursery school and whilst I dont condone what he has done at all, I really do believe this was totally out of character for him. I haven't known him on a personal level since leaving school, but I have seen him out and about in Barnsley and never once seen him caught up in a brawl, just having a drink like the vast majority of people. People do very stupid things when drunk - look how many people end up in prison due to "one foul punch". I dont think anyone will be more aware of this than Adam, and his remorse is more than apparent. Adam will be punished in accordance of the law, not by people who are trying to publically hang him on a social media site.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 17 2014 at 12:18
Sorry Agree, but these guy chased the victim down. They had time to rethink! That,for my money makes it worse. Had it been a punch one on one fair does, but no,two onto one and then the chase the guy down? Anger management for both fellas. It does seem that only Adam is getting flack here. There's also the Mathew guy! Both guilty.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 17 2014 at 13:19
After reading all of this i'm shocked I agree that what Adam has done is wrong very wrong, but as a few people have said I too went to school will him and agree that this is very out of character for him. I do believe that everyone has the right to speak their mind but I think what a lot of people have written is horrible, I believe Adam understands the repercussions of his actions and knows that hes lost a hell of a lot, I also agree hat this is on par with cyber bullying!! one side of a story doesn't condone this..........!!

Reply Posted by @botedofreadinglaurenscomments on Friday January 17 2014 at 13:59
Why should she stop posting comments?
What business is it of yours what she does?

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 17 2014 at 16:32
Lauren should ignore the bullies. Her posts have many moral points to them! She sounds like an upstanding and sensible member of our society. Wish there were more like her. Hope you read this Lauren..ignore the trolls,you post what you like and when you like,otherwise they have won! Vile trolls!

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Friday January 17 2014 at 16:52
Here here Sid @ Lauren you call in my Shop I will give you a free lollipop with every £2 spent.. Like reading your constructive posts. Chin up girl and remember you been through a lot more and come out the other end a better person..Ignore the muppets and don't let them stop you posting on WAB. I will be holding an opening day on my Anderson way with kestrel and sweets for the kiddies...and Sid ,Kfc,LOL all bloody welcome..mr khan serving Barnsley over 40yrs

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 17 2014 at 17:02
Haha! FREE??? Mr.khan !!
You old softy.

Reply Posted by my little sister on Friday January 17 2014 at 17:57
Laurens my little sister she is absolutely devastated about what happened the other day I don't know what has been said she won't tell me she just crys the word can't come out so I hope your proud of yourself who ever you are but all I can say is that she has not been the same person for quite a couple of days now a few people on here seem to value her opinions and I hope I get my little sister back she hasn't even been to work and that's not her she love working with the kids at her school but she has said one thing and that is she never talking on a site like these again

Reply Posted by @Sid & mr khan on Friday January 17 2014 at 18:26
I will pass on the message and hopefully she will get back to herself

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Friday January 17 2014 at 18:34
Come on Lauren@ The site is boring without your witty and constructive comments..There is a lot on Wab who talk utter rubbish and doesn't stop them posting..CHIN UP GIRL. you are a credit to your family..Always welcome in my shop as long as you got CASH hahahha Plenty of cash for poor mr khan and family serving Barnsley over 40yrs

Reply Posted by Mr khan here on Friday January 17 2014 at 18:44
Also Lauren that Sid is a bloody old drunk.. Buys kestrel by the wagon.. Kfc is finger looking good and as daft as a chicken wing..also LOL caps bloody locks. still cant find the bloody button to turn the locks off. ONLY kidding..Hoping to get delivery of my new Anderson shelter soon. will be able to make flats soon. Thinking of the rental income..HAHAHHA must dash Pray mat calling. mr khan serving Barnsley over 40yrs.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 17 2014 at 18:47
I love tequila... Hahahic! It makes me happy.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 17 2014 at 21:23
Hi @ Sid & @Mr khan here,
Thank you for your comments that is very kind of you both. My sister has had a very big go at me for backing down to trolls. I have decided I will continue to post on this site as it is not for anyone to dictate to me what I can and cannot say my opinions are of a value as much as anybody elses this site is here for open debates etc..... Not for personally insulting others because I speak my mind if I have ever upset or offended any one then I apologise but will not be told what to do by anybody. Thank you both once again for your support. Take care.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 17 2014 at 21:26
Good for you! You have as much right to post as anyone. Plus you have a good heart. Sod em!

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 17 2014 at 21:39
Thank you means a lot.

Reply Posted by mr khan here on Friday January 17 2014 at 21:49
Top lass Lauren..you,ll do for me. Remember the fruit salad and stay positive.

Must dash got a customer and going to pray mat soon.

mr khan serving Barnsley over 40 yrs.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 17 2014 at 21:54
Lol thank you @Mr khan here means a lot for giving me support.

Reply Posted by Icommessencor on Saturday March 1 2014 at 00:22