Anderson Shelter Remains Intact In Back Garden

Friday January 10 2014

AN ANDERSON shelter from the Second World War remains intact in a Barnsley back garden.

The council house, off Darfield Road, Cudworth, had been home to Dorothy Allott, 90, who died just before Christmas.

Neighbour Terry Francis wondered what might happen to it when her house is re-let.

He said: "It's still intact and solid. It's gone rusty on the outside but it's not rotten at all.

"She was a lovely lady, Mrs Allott. One of the best neighbours you could have.

"I don't know what will happen to it now. It's lasted all this time."

Anderson shelters were issued free to all householders who earned less than £5 a week, and those with a higher income were charged £7. They started going up in gardens from February 1939.

They were designed to be dug in about four feet, with earth mounded on the top leaving the door exposed.

Around 1.5 million Andersons were distributed from February 1939 to the outbreak of war. During the war a further 2.1 million were erected.

Mrs Allott had lived at the house for 40 years and the shelter had always been at ground level while she was there, with a wooden door in place of the corrugated iron.

It's likely that someone raised it out of its hole after the war to use it as a shed.

A Berneslai Homes spokesman said: "It's not normally our policy to demolish outbuildings such as Anderson shelters, as long as they're in a safe condition."

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 10 2014 at 13:23
What a great piece of history your dear neighbour has in her garden maybe it could get put on display at a museum or something then when school children visit these museums they can see what the people used to stay in when the war was going on.

Reply Posted by jase on Friday January 10 2014 at 13:36
same old Barnsley council destroy our history what a shame

Reply Posted by Mark on Friday January 10 2014 at 19:01
Did you not read what the article says then? The Council do not say they want to demolish it at all !!!!!
Or maybe you just dont want to see anything other that bad in the council ?

Reply Posted by annie on Friday January 10 2014 at 13:43
It needs to go to the Elsecar Heritage Centre to go on display.

Reply Posted by Dave M on Friday January 10 2014 at 13:45
My grandparents had one in their garden in Lundwood, but with bricked ends rather than wood. It had a partition part way down so they could use it as a coal store one end and garden shed the other.

Reply Posted by Kerrie Hanson on Friday January 10 2014 at 14:11
My nan used to have one if these in her back yard so it must have been something people did rised then up she used hers as a shed also

Reply Posted by Karen Wrat on Friday January 10 2014 at 14:54
Jase, the council say they DON'T demolish out buildings like this so what do you mean????

Reply Posted by sally on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:28
Its a shame it cannot be moved next door to DADS if some big strapping lads could get together and do the work. Think dad would like that. From David.

Reply Posted by ian sunderland on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:48
i think it would make a great exhibit at Barnsleys museum in town hall :) they could turn one of the rooms they don't really use next to the current room they use for the museum into a war exhibit something like a small version of Eden Camp. I'm sure there are plenty Barnsley war memorabilia around to fill it :)

Reply Posted by Moe. on Friday January 10 2014 at 22:24
Sounds good to me ian . i was always in trouble until it was taken into the alloments .............not saying how old .......

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:58
Brilliant idea Ian. Send them an email. Hope they do. My grandson has just done a school project about the war and they visited eden camp. He thought it was fantastic.

Reply Posted by Moe. on Friday January 10 2014 at 22:26
My granddaughter too at school I even lent her our ration books even the teacher was surprised at what she had wrote..........

Reply Posted by deano on Friday January 10 2014 at 22:18
there used to loads of those when we were kids,not so many now,i must be getting old.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday January 10 2014 at 22:39
Cool. Does anybody know about Morrison shelters? I believe they were below snooker tables. Does anybody have more info?

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 10 2014 at 22:51
Just googled it. It was an air raid shelter kit with approx 350 pieces! It would be a miracle if any have been saved in completion. Do hope Barnsley Museum ask for the Anderson. It really should be kept safe.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 11 2014 at 19:12
@sid BMBC are fetching them back as one bedroom bed sits.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 19:22
Yes @kfc, now were twinning for the third time????with some lovely town in Romania, we could do them up as bedsits for the visitors. With what I've seen in the papers,the shelters may well be a step up for some of them.

Reply Posted by Liam on Friday January 10 2014 at 22:52
My grandma had one at her house on gate crescent in Dodworth, before she died a few years ago. might still be there. Was still dug in, used as a shed. Loved playing in it as a kid.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 10 2014 at 22:56
That's lovely. If you have to fotos they must be lovely to look at. Good times.

Reply Posted by oops on Friday January 10 2014 at 23:43
Just watch now the address is out. The Romanians and Bulgarians will be setting up home in the Anderson.

Reply Posted by Julie Trowbridge on Saturday January 11 2014 at 02:19
My great-grand parents had one in Hoyland - God rest their souls x

Reply Posted by Stacey on Saturday January 11 2014 at 11:30
I live on moorland terrace in cudworth and have one in my garden. Was here when I moved in, it's unsightly but wouldn't want to destroy it!

Reply Posted by Warrior on Saturday January 11 2014 at 19:10
Gets some Chickens in it.Smashing

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 11 2014 at 19:08
Watch out it could be the council decides its. Extra room so a Bedroom Tax Bill will be sent out from the Tarn Hall in April

Reply Posted by Vanessa Walker on Saturday January 11 2014 at 20:04
@Sally
Big strapping lads we are still laughing. You kill me. Tell David he is not big and strapping!!Lol

Reply Posted by Vanessa Walker on Saturday January 11 2014 at 20:06
I mean his brother is not big and strapping not David. Lol. Am crying laughing here.

Reply Posted by sally on Sunday January 12 2014 at 17:33
Hi he ought to be, he has just scoffed o great big Yorkshire Pudding and forever in cake tin. It must be guiness that dissolves his food, cos he never puts weight on. I was laughing myself when I wrote it. Love to all x

Reply Posted by Lomaslocksmiths on Monday January 13 2014 at 16:14
Thats great hope museum gets it

Reply Posted by Just me on Monday January 13 2014 at 17:41
One in garden nxt door to me used as a shed

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 00:40
So cool.

@Stacey - Blimey, think of the history in your garden. I wonder who lived in your property during the war. Can you still access it?