High Levels Of Pregnant Smokers In Town

Wednesday January 8 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

BARNSLEY has ten per cent more pregnant smokers than the rest of the country.

Up to 21.9 per cent of pregnant women in the town smoke, although Barnsley's rates for women smoking at the time they gave birth had fallen from 26.4 per cent in 2006/07.

However, the rate of 21.9 per cent was still higher than regional and national rates of 16.5 per cent and 12.7 per cent respectively.

Members of the Reducing Health Inequalities group felt it represented a significant health risk to infants and was an area where 'real improvement' could be made.

Cllr Jeff Ennis, who is a member of the group, said he thought there was still a certain amount of ignorance surrounding smoking during pregnancy.

He said: "It's a common fact that if women smoke throughout their pregnancy there's a chance their baby can be born underweight or be born early, and the bigger the baby is at birth, the more chance it has of being healthier later in life.

"We've just got to keep enforcing that message and give whatever help and support we can before the baby is born.

"We need better role models and the women who are stopping smoking need to be coming forward and telling the other women."

A lot of work has taken place over the last four years to develop services at the hospital which have helped women stop smoking.

It's run alongside others such as the Fit Mums programme and the Stop Smoking Services, which have had some success.

The percentage of adults smoking in Barnsley is 25.6 per cent, compared to 20 per cent in England and 22.2 per cent in Yorkshire and Cllr Ennis was also concerned that electronic cigarettes may encourage young children to take up smoking.

"Some wards are better than others, so there's a need to get best practice across the whole of the borough," he added.

"E-cigs are not due to be regulated by the government until 2016, and with the number of stalls in the town centre, I'm concerned that youngsters might be encouraged to try them and then move onto real cigarettes."

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 12:03
Next thing on tv will be Barnsley: CHAV AND PROUD!

Kids don't stand a chance growing up in this hole called a town.

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 12:13
Absolutely disgusting but does not surprise me as there are more young girls smoking than ever, I stopped as soon as I found out I was pregnant that was 30 years ago! I also bet more than half of them are unemployed too! Welcome to Chav & benefit scroungers Barnsley do us proud! NOT!!

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 12:36
What a load of crap you come out with.
I dont know who is worse. The statistitians or barnsley people for believing everything that is said to you or is it just to be critical about everything
cos youve got nothing better going on in your sad boring lives

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 13:55
Whats unemployment got to do with being pregnant and smoking? Does smoking make you a chav? What difference does it makes that there on benefits? Think there more concerned about what smoking does to there unborn baby or babies. Talk about me jumping to conclusions your lot are good at it aswell.

Reply Posted by liz on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 17:18
Am pregnant n i smoke about 7 a day n its nt easy to stop n to b honest i prob wint stop

Reply Posted by Craig on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 18:09
this is because you are irresponsible and obviously dont care already for your unborn child. i stopped smoking when faced with problems with my own health so why cant you do it for your own child, give it the best possible start in life and stop being selfish. its not about class its about common sense.

Reply Posted by kfc on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 17:33
The other 78.1% of women smokers said they prefer to use a pipe.

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 17:37
Omg are u for real I hope ur not n jus messin around. U can't stop smokin get to stop smokin clinic in the hospital for the sake ov ur unborn baby. Ow can u do that to ur baby think ov all them toxins runnin through that little girl/boys body the damage ur causing is unreal. U should be ashamed ov urself. That poor child ov urs great role model ur goin to be.

Reply Posted by rach on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 17:55
God there's some judgemental idiots on here, Liz I struggled with it but managed to cut down to 5 a day, my little boy was born at a healthy weight n has less illness than my sister's who's a non smoker, for God's sake you'd think it was akin to murder way there going on, n before I get a load of crap from the stop smoking brigade let he who is without sin cast the first stone, hope none of you drank alcohol while pregnant, went on a diet, or was obese in first place cos that's bad for pregnancy too

Reply Posted by Craig on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 18:12
i would dare say smoking and drinking are at the top of that list.
giving up smoking is as hard as you want it to be, if you want to be a slave to a little white stick that will eventually kill you then be my guest but for 9 months could you not just try to be health for the sake of some one else's life?

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 18:22
I ate healthily, exercised, dint not drink tea or coffee, yes I am braghin but the only reason y I did it was for what Craig said give them the best start in life i look after my body n baby n my body as rewarded me back by givon me my flat stomach no stretch mark well jus a couple but either way u are a disgrace both ov u all them fowk who are desperate for a baby n ur practically killin ur might not av health problems now but maybe later in life when ur child is older ur body is a temple n u should treasure it

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 18:57
So if smoking is ok if u cut down on how many u have as u both say Is ok.....so a supose a smackhead is ok to take smack as long as they only have a few digs up.....so a supose a fet head is ok a long as they cut down n same wi all other drugs n same wi drink then ur ok to drink yeah a pint ov Guinness is ment to be ok but even that's ridiculous ur justification for smokin while pregnant is insane u risk ur baby's life wi every puff u take n could u really put urself thro a miscarriage cos that the risk ur takin like playin Russian roulette but instead it's an innocent unborn child's life ur playin shame on u on both ov u

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 19:02
N the only one on here who is an idiot is urself u made urself out to be a self centred idiot who can't give up on smokin for nine months or maybe bit less or more either way not good n I suppose u smoke infront ov ur child's aswell?

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 22:04
I see no one reads a previous article
you just listen to yourselves here are a couple of facts
most people in there 70s and 80s smoke
and always have , a lot of them since the age of 12/13 years old.
Most of them have had children. who then smoked then they had children .You
who are winging.
The second thing is did you know that there are a possible 200 to 500 reasons why you can develop cancer. one of them is the fact that you live on earth.
Mercury .lead .how many of you cook with alluminium how many eat from cheap non stick pans. how many people with children drive there kids to school in a car with faulty exhaust system.
How many of you cook on gas without an extractor or did you think that your gas fire has chimney for the sake of it. how many toxins do you think your carpet has in it that your child is playing on.
Do you think chernobyl. three mile island. fukushima and all the other nuclear power stations and disasters have just disappeared into thin air.
Asbestos oh you can just go on forever.
And one if the oldest cancer causing agents
to non smokers is growing old.
Enjoy it

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 22:24
Trying to justify smoking doesn't take away the fact that smoking can harm a baby Mea.Besides that,morally,why would you want to purposely contaminate your beautiful unborn child with stinking cicigarettes? They are a poison,do the old blowing the smoke through the tissue thing. Why would any mother inflict their new babe with that filth. Your post is a load of drivell! The things you have itemised are part of everyday life, and there is little we can change about them. Smoking is a choice...for the mother...not the unborn pure child. So just puff away!

Reply Posted by Guilty as Sin on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 22:28
Stop pussy footing about smoking kills and causes great damage to your body. Alcohol causes severe damage to your health.

Marriage for a certain period is good for you however over time and will definitely bankrupt you at the least skint you as you separate or divorce.

That's reality.

Life is for living but more importantly Smoking is disgusting and if you are pregnant it's criminal if you continue over the nine months.

Your new baby has no choice today and won't thank you in the future.

lauren may be a bit over the top sometimes but she is right on this subject.

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 23:22
@mea brussel I was talkin to the two Muppets above Liz n rach nowt to do wi what it says in the article she commented bout the fact she smokes n she's pregnant. I just don't understand the justification for smokin while pregnant it should be a form ov child neglect or sumat it's awful that a mother chooses to smoke while pregnant disgusted

Reply Posted by jon wast on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 23:28
Lauren please note mae brussell is also Kilkenny. biggest wind up merchants on WAB..you stick to your beliefs and ignore the pigheaded Londoner..

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 23:46
I don't understand why people can't just use there real name makes things a lot easier. I will do. Thanks.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday January 9 2014 at 00:05
No im not who you think i am and im not a wind up merchant and i dont agree with woman driving at 70 mph on motorway while pregnant. but you didnt read my comment fully or smoking wouldnt have been the first thing that would worry you.
For instance have you ever wondered what toxic chemicals are in potatoes
while your feasting on your chips while your pregnant think of all those carcinogens in that oil youve just fried them in.
Look up foods that have carcinogens and then people might stop and think twice before moaning about smoking and smokers did you know that all animals and creatures on earth get the same types of diseases.
To put an end to the stupid topic people are living much longer today than ever before and the population of the planet has never in its history been so over populated but billions of people still keep. smoking and what makes children suffer ill health is bunging litres of calpol down there throats. cakes sweets crisps antibiotics many drugs that get pushed by doctors and many other things.
Mae brussel......not someone else ask stevo he knows who i am

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday January 9 2014 at 10:12
Ah Mae, post what you like,but you can't answer my post eh? 4 above yours. Your argument is just that,an argument for the sake of it!

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 9 2014 at 00:25
Am bored ov ur now u chat shit simples if u red my comments properly u wud read that am healthy n cos me n my partner n both my kids r healthy bike ridin, both my kids to karate n boxin my son goes to gymnastics classes my daughter is on a swimmin team n we don't get ill odd cough or cold but that's it we all respect our bodies they no that they can av a treat maybe a licl choco bar on Saturday when they av movie night but that's it be treat wise but all that Shite thas wrote is everyday issue were everyone is effected not just pregnant women n I can tell uve been googlin up some more nonsense to try n make urself look intelligent but either look at my comment bout me healthy n stayin healthy

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Thursday January 9 2014 at 10:27
No I ain't Mae Brussel. I don't always agree with her opinions either. Bit too left for my liking. However, she is a breath of fresh air on WAB. Too many bigots on this site.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Thursday January 9 2014 at 10:53
Personally I think the only decent posters on this site are Sid (old git but dispenses great knowledge), Steveo (too left for my liking but is awesome), Mae, Richard (too right for my liking). I will mention lauren too. Dreadful English, too much text speak but has great views and isn't afraid to share them.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday January 9 2014 at 12:56
Hey Kilkenny thanks for that. I always try to be fair. I do enjoy reading some of your post,apart from the knocking Barnsley to smithereens and when you mention everyone's mothers pussys....not good! Thankfully that's died a death. I enjoy LOL, when he's funny,not vile. And kfc is a good poster,fair kinda guy.
Richards disappeared?

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 9 2014 at 11:16
You know what Kilkenny that the nicest thing you've ever said about me thank you if you've noticed I have tryed to write properly as it drives people mad that I write in text. Thank you.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday January 16 2014 at 13:26
*tried

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Thursday January 9 2014 at 11:31
I think the main thing is that you are outspoken and have strong views. The spelling and grammar can come after.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Thursday January 9 2014 at 11:40
Im glad your healthy and i hope you stay that way.
The last time i went to doctors was 1973
Before that 1969 both times for medicals for jobs. started smoking in1964 how many times have you been.you still dont read into the story, do you.
I wish you would.
I give you hints.
Most of the oldest people that ever lived
smoked. ate what they wanted didnt go jogging and lived menial lives

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 9 2014 at 12:19
Your not getting what I said I my comment were to the two disgracefull mothers called Liz and rach I was not commenting about the article you keep referring to I'm commenting back to the two women who thinks it ok to smoke while and I stand by what I say that I think it's form of child neglect my personal opinion is that they should be ashamed to publicly say the smoke while pregnant cos its jus like sayin it's ok to smoke infront ov her kids

Reply Posted by liz on Thursday January 9 2014 at 12:19
Ya shud stop drinking first, n juat cos i smoke does nt mean i dont care or love my unborn baby does it NO

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday January 16 2014 at 13:27
Erm, it does a bit, yeah.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday January 16 2014 at 13:27
Erm, it does a bit, yeah.

Reply Posted by liz on Thursday January 9 2014 at 12:21
Smoking n being a smack head is too different things

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 9 2014 at 19:10
In my opinion yes it does mean that you don't care no matter how hard it is you should stop smoking it benefits you and your unborn baby people would pay thousands and thousand just for a glimpse of a chance to become a parent and your not really caring for your unborn baby and I don't drink and bad comparison smoking to smackhead but you should het my point treasure your baby he/shes a gift

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 9 2014 at 19:12
I don't drink neither and Kilkenny thanks your not so bad yourself

Reply Posted by liz on Thursday January 9 2014 at 21:47
Sorry bt i do care for my unborn baby hw cn u judge me when u dunt even knw me, ive cut down alot on smoking from 25 to 7 a day just cos someone smokes doea nt mean they dont care or love there unborn baby

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Thursday January 9 2014 at 23:15
Ah thanks Sid. I love your posts. I bet you are a top employer too. I bet you give loads of young people a chance. I do get angered with this site though. I wish we could all have unique names, it would stop the idiots that pretend to be me. I do criticise the bigots on this site but I was up recently and was invloved in a sporting event. I met some fab like minded folk and I am coming up for another event. Barnsley has some great things I love the market. I walked round the fish market and was amazed at the prices of scallops and crab. Fab market. Better than any in the East End. And you don't get stallholders bellowing 'Alwight Darling' in your ear every minute. I couldn't see the tripe stall though. Has it gone? The prices in the pubs too. £2.40 a pint in the WMC I thought the barmaid had given me the wrong change.

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 9 2014 at 23:22
You use to smoke 25 a day so in a week you would have smoked 175 then 4 weeks later you would have smoked 700 cigarettes that's 8400 cigs in a year don't know how much a packet of cigs are but a bet you could have saved a lot of money and spent on some thing better other than damaging your lungs and now you smoke 7 a day that's 49 a week 196 a month in 9 months you would have harmed your baby with 1764 cigs that's a lot of extra cash in your back pocket I just wish you would see sense and stop causing harm to your baby

Reply Posted by Sid on Thursday January 9 2014 at 23:27
* INVOLVED* And you write for a living. The Tripe stall has gone has you must have bought it all.. you are now posting it a lot of TRIPE.

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Thursday January 9 2014 at 23:30
Lauren - your post about being homeless was really poignant. You mentioned sleeping by McDonalds. That must have been terrifying. How on earth did you cope? Everyday things like washing must have been a challenge for you. In London we have centres where homeless people can receive mail, shower and laundry their clothes. I spend a lot of time in the library due to my job and I see many homeless people in them. It must be so difficult to walk around the streets in the day exhausted from the lack of sleep from the night before. I have friends down here who work with the homeless. One at a soup kitchen and one with homeless ex servicemen. I am really glad you are doing okay now.

Reply Posted by kilkeny on Thursday January 9 2014 at 23:37
Involved - yes I know how to spell the word. Typing on my phone. Sorry LOL but the real Sid would not mention that.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 10 2014 at 00:18
Yes it was very hard, cold, scary, the hunger pains and stomach cramps from not eating were the worse but I did not tell any one I was sleeping rough no one knew were I was for weeks I hid because I was ashamed of myself the way I looked, smelled,the clothes I did go to the metrodome to use there showers but they found out that I was getting a washed not swimming but some one told my sister in the end and she helped me out big time got me into a homeless shelter called the forge on Wakefield road they helped me get a flat and learnt me how to manage money because I never had much money before so I was spending it like there was no tomorrow they were really kind to me and every one else who lived there they even helped me out when I found out that i was pregnant and if it wasn't for my sister and my partner I don't think I would be here today and I am very grateful for all who helped me out and that's a very kind thing to do to help the homeless it's a great sense of achievement knowing you have helped some one out when there in need putting all the crap to one side you seem to be a nice person

Reply Posted by me again on Friday January 10 2014 at 14:22
So what your sayin Barnsley lass, is that all smokers that's pregnant are unemployed your chavs? Nowt like stereotyping is there?!

Reply Posted by Jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 14:23
Got to admit this day & age people look discusting smoking while pregnant ... BUT when I had My kids it wasn't a big issue like it is now and YES I did smoke back in the day whilst pregnant and It wasn't frowned upon, Doc's asked You to cut down NOT STOP! People know the risks and at the end of the day - it is their choice!!! Just like to add I still smoke but have never drunk!!!

Reply Posted by me again on Friday January 10 2014 at 14:26
So what your sayin Barnsley lass, is that all smokers that's pregnant are unemployed moving chavs? Nowt like stereotyping is there?!

Reply Posted by me again on Friday January 10 2014 at 14:28
Sorry for the duplicate comment. It meant to say young chavs

Reply Posted by Jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 14:37
Also like to add, We used to use proper nappies that You had to wash! and they were fastened with a great big safety pin! - what about that - Health & safety issue! People who crack on about smoking make Me sick, they are probably have mucky houses and drink like fish!!!

Reply Posted by KC on Friday January 10 2014 at 14:54
Why is it so dangerous to smoke during pregnancy?
Cigarette smoke contains more than 4,000 chemicals, including truly nasty things like cyanide, lead, and at least 60 cancer-causing compounds. When you smoke during pregnancy, that toxic brew gets into your bloodstream, your baby's only source of oxygen and nutrients.
While none of those 4,000-plus chemicals is good for your baby (you would never add a dollop of lead and cyanide to his milk), two compounds are especially harmful: nicotine and carbon monoxide. These two toxins account for almost every smoking-related complication in pregnancy
The most serious complications — including stillbirth, premature delivery, and low birth weight — can be chalked up to the fact that nicotine and carbon monoxide work together to reduce your baby's supply of oxygen. Nicotine chokes off oxygen by narrowing blood vessels throughout your body, including the ones in the umbilical cord. It's a little like forcing your baby to breathe through a narrow straw. To make matters worse, the red blood cells that carry oxygen start to pick up molecules of carbon monoxide instead. Suddenly, that narrow straw doesn't even hold as much oxygen as it should.

A shortage of oxygen can have devastating effects on your baby's growth and development. On average, smoking during pregnancy doubles the chances that a baby will be born too early or weigh less than 5 1/2 pounds at birth. Smoking also more than doubles the risk of stillbirth.

Every cigarette you smoke increases the risks to your pregnancy. A few cigarettes a day are safer than a whole pack, but the difference isn't as great as you might think. A smoker's body is especially sensitive to the first doses of nicotine each day, and even just one or two cigarettes will significantly tighten blood vessels. That's why even a "light" habit can have a huge effect on your baby's health.

On average, a pack-a-day habit during pregnancy will shave about a half-pound from a baby's birth weight. Smoking two packs a day throughout your pregnancy could make your baby a full pound or more lighter. While some women may welcome the prospect of delivering a smaller baby, stunting a baby's growth in the womb can have negative consequences that last a lifetime.

Undersize babies tend to have underdeveloped bodies. Their lungs may not be ready to work on their own, which means they may spend their first days or weeks attached to a respirator. After they're breathing on their own (or even if they did from the start), these babies may have continuing breathing problems — because of delayed lung development or other adverse effects of nicotine. Children whose mothers smoked during pregnancy are especially vulnerable to asthma, and have double some even say triple the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Heart

Babies whose mother smoked in the first trimester of pregnancy are more likely to have a heart defect at birth.

Brain function
Smoking during pregnancy can have lifelong effects on your baby's brain. Children of pregnant smokers are especially likely to have learning disorders, behavioral problems, and relatively low IQs.

As parents our primary aim should be to give our children the best start and life we possibly can, if you are so selfish that you cannot make this first sacrifice for your unborn child should you be having babies at all??

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:35
Well KC! if girls carry on smoking after your excellent post,then they are lunatics.
We need the same in depth post on marijuana now!
Absolute plonkers spoiling the beautiful body. I,all never understand it.
The problem is, people will not admit they are wrong because either they just can't be bothered to stop or they don't care. Either way smoking can never be justified whilst pregnant. Sorry smokers..its true!

Reply Posted by liz on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:14
Jane i agree with u yes we all knw the risks of smoking whilst pregnant bt wen laurens saying i dunt care about my unborn child cos i smoke ive cut down alot to wot i use to smoke bt obvo she likes judging people qen she dunt knw then n its nwt to do wi her hw much i spend i work for my money 45 hours a week n she probs dunt bt shes still judging

Reply Posted by lolly on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:24
You may care about your unborn child. But surely you could give up smoking for the sake of your child.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:36
Say what you want Liz! Its wrong love.

Reply Posted by Jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:25
Nearly everyone smoked when pregnant in the 50's 60's, it was advertised everywhere and was a fashionable thing to do, YES Fashionable. So KC does Your Mother/ Grandmother have a low IQ, Heart defects, low birth weight, lungs that don't work, behavioural problems etc? No I didn't think so! They blame smoking for nearly everything. It is NOT proven! It is easier said than done to stop smoking!

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:37
It is hard Jane! But! Its wrong!

Reply Posted by lolly on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:31
Have you ever heard of WILL POWER. Sadly too many people are weak and don't have the stamina.

Reply Posted by de on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:31
Liz, well done on cutting down, I was a smoker before finding out our baby daughter was on her way, I managed to cut right down to 2 a day then eventually stopped, you are going in the right direction and you will be grateful for it once baby is here. Smoking is an addiction and not an easy one to quit, if it was so easy then we would all just stop. Hope all goes well with your pregnancy and as for all the statistics, Im sure Barnsley is not the only town to have mums to be with a smoking habit.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:38
Put what you want! Its wrong @de!

Reply Posted by Jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:38
PEOPLE ALL KNOW THE UNPROVEN RISKS AT THE END OF THE DAY, IT IS UP TO EACH INDIVIDUAL,IT IS THEIR CHOICE WETHER THEY WANT TO SMOKE OR NOT, DOESN'T MAKE THEM WEAK!?! STOP JUDGING PEOPLE, IT IS THEIR CHOICE FOR WHATEVER REASON! My Husband as Never smok but I have always smoked, I DONT want to stop! that is MY choice! MY Money what pays for them!

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:38
Obstinate fool then Jane!

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday January 10 2014 at 15:59
@ Jane, yes it's your money that buys the cigarettes....it's also your cigarettes that poisons the air that EVERYONE NEEDS to breathe. Selfish person.

Reply Posted by Jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:02
Anon - Tough! Get a life!

Reply Posted by liz on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:06
Jane I bet your on benefits. Because if you worked you couldn,t afford to smoke.

Reply Posted by sunshinegirl on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:10
Question to all the people that either smoked during pregnancy or support smoking during pregnancy:
Would you hold a lit cig to a babys mouth or blow the smoke into the babys face?? I really would hope not!! Explain what the difference is, people know cigs aren't something for babies and children so why force an unborn child to consume the chemicals?
I understand that quitting smoking is incredibly hard for some people but it comes down to how much you want to stop because there is more support avaliable to stop smoking than ever!

Reply Posted by jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:18
Liz - Sorry! I thought it was another Liz!

Reply Posted by jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:23
Well fancy Liz supping alchol in ya dinner break - throllop!

Reply Posted by Liz on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:26
Jane - Who mentioned Alcohol ? Tea total me.

Reply Posted by Jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:34
I find it MORE disturbing going in a pub in afternoon rather than smoking

Reply Posted by Liz on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:56
Jane you talk out of your arse. Us workers can go out for a Pub lunch and drink pop and not getting pissed. I would never smoke carry my child and if you choose to smoke. that's your choice but the wrong choice.

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday January 10 2014 at 16:43
We all know its wrong at the end of the day! You wouldn't be so smug and dare I say stupid,if you have a baby that's been affected by poison and a lazy lack of willpower! If we get fat we manage to find the wiilpower to stop scoffing like pigs, so,just for what? Under a year? Its disgusting!

Reply Posted by jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:04
Yes I smoke because I want to, I am NOT on ANY benefit and I am certainly not pregnant, but I enjoy smoking, I don't smoke in My House or car or around any kids, But I like smoking and that is MY choice. Stop judging people saying you have to be on benefits to smoke! Bet it's You Liz who are outside the pub on a afternoon with the scroungers as You call them!

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:05
Pregnant or not,Barnsley town centre is a stinking place with all the smokers around! It makes me wretch! So much so in fact,I very rarely go. Its horrible. No money around? No because its all going up in a puff of smoke! I see people dressed in dirty worn out clothes all around town,but still they smoke! Self respect is going up in smoke quite literally. Its a filthy habit.

Reply Posted by B&H on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:08
How much is a packet of fags these days?
Think of all the goodies you could buy,clothes,nappys,perfumes,shoes, lovely food instead of the horror that is frozen chips etc. Wise up and enjoy your money,don't waste it by spoiling your health.

Reply Posted by jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:10
I'm not on benefit ,not pregnant My clothes are clean and I like smoking hahaha

Reply Posted by Liz on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:18
Jane@ You say your clothes are clean. impossible I bet there stink like a taproom. Unless you smoke in the nude.. Just think of your smelly breath hahahahhahaahahah

Reply Posted by jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:22
whats a tap room?!? LMFA

Reply Posted by Jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:12
oh and I also hate frozen chips! EH?

Reply Posted by B&H on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:19
No Jane, I do. Try some real ones, yummyeeeee.

Reply Posted by jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:22
Bet tha obese

Reply Posted by B&H on Friday January 10 2014 at 18:20
No I'm not. Size 12. But I do spend my cash on good stuff.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:14
I am a teaching assistant and I use to work at greenarces specialist school before I moved I have seen all the affects smoking drinking drug taking as the effects on a child I was in the wrong when I said you don't love your baby I didn't mention in the post I made last to you which I apologise for but it doesn't hurt to stop that's all I am saying and I never mentioned how much you spend because I have no idea how much a pack of cigs cost I was telling you the amount you smoke is ridiculous even though you have cut down how many cigs not money and Jane that's back in 50s love you 2014 now darling it's been proven get your head from up your arses and stop trying to justify that fact your smoking while pregnant not just me who frown upon it and my house is clean and I don't drink and both my kids lead healthy lives we are a fit family don't see the harm in stopping your just pathetic the lot of you who say it's ok because I have cut down

Reply Posted by jane on Friday January 10 2014 at 17:20
Liz, what's a tap room?

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday January 10 2014 at 18:24
Bad Breath and teeth, yellow fingers, a high risk of getting Cancer and you stink. I don't think the smokers have a leg to stand on. People are just laughing at you wasting your money on such a disgusting habit.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday January 10 2014 at 18:26
Oh, a lot of the unemployed smoke. Says it all really.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 10 2014 at 18:28
Not just laughing at you for wasting your money there also shaking there heads in disgust when they see a pregnant woman who can't stop smoking for 9 months also spoke to my friends who's a midwife who think your justification of cutting down is pathetic and shameful bow your heads in shame ladies not hard to quit for nine months tut tut tut tut tut tut

Reply Posted by kc on Friday January 10 2014 at 20:22
If it makes you feel better to say its unproven then so be it. Simply shows your ignorance and inability to think of anything but what you want. I actually find it very sad and coming on here swearing and being agressive does you no favours either.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 10 2014 at 20:25
Here here @kc.
They sound rough.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday January 10 2014 at 22:47
Oh Lauren. I cannot believe the bloody jobsworths in the Metrodome turned you out when they found out you were using the showers for washing and not swimming. Like you would be carrying a bikini in your bag. Just mean. I am glad you are doing well now. If you are a teaching assistant why don't you retrain as a teacher when your kids are older. Your life experiences would make your a huge success love!

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 10 2014 at 23:07
Yes Kilkenny,cos they're on big money! There's not many workers around here on much more than the minimum wage. By the time they have paid their dues and demands,fags are too expensive. The bankers???? Huh! We all know about that lot!

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 10 2014 at 23:50
@kilkenny: I know but it's there job one lady did buy me some food out of the vendor machine I totally understood they could have turned a blind eye but they could have lost their job too and I was quite a naughty child at school because of what was going on at home got picked on a lot for various amount of things scruffy clothes clothes being too small etc...so my grades were not that good but I'm doing my GCSEs maths and english and I have just qualified as a teaching assistant level 2 but the school I was at wasn't for me so I've decided to do my EYFS (early years foundation stage) so I can work in nurserys that course alone opens up many paths for me to travel down but thats an 18 month course but can't wait to start it in February and thank you but I am no where near clever enough to actually teach children but you never know what could happen in the future.

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday January 11 2014 at 19:42
Thank you @kfc and @Sid I'm just honest to people and I just share my experiences with others even though I'm only 25 Ive had alot of it lol and I always put myself down but I think that's because others have put me down all my life I do it without realising it sometimes and I get told off for it a lot by my partner he hates it when I put myself down and Ive gone back to school/college just to better myself I was a bum on benefits and I hated it that's why I'm doing it to better myself and for my kids as they deserve better than a slob of a mum sat watching Jeremy Kyle all day just want to give them the best and to help out my partner out has he is the one who is providing for us paying for everything i just want to help and contribute to my family and it's a good feeling every month when I check my bank balance and the money in it has been worked for not just given to Me for doing nothing but watching Jeremy Kyle feels it a good feeling to have and @Sid yeah that's so true I do wear my heart on my sleeve but that's just me lol and thanks I was a horrible person growing up shameful what I use to get Upto to be honest but I'm a mummy now I've grown up them Kids have changed my life and I'm blessed to have them in my life same with my partner and if it wasn't for him and the kids god know where I would be without all of them best thing to come out of all the shit I went through

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 19:50
Well Lauren. I wish you nothing but good. Be proud of yourself love.

Reply Posted by fred h,s,e on Saturday January 11 2014 at 19:53
well i seen liz picking tabs off the floor the smack rat

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday January 11 2014 at 19:58
Thank you very much @sid very kind of you

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 11 2014 at 20:04

Sid 100% right. Remember Sids been here before ( Only Kidding)

I can understand every point of your posts What you need to do is stop
reminding your self of the bad times in your posts.

Yes you can be proud of the very large corner, you have turned as a individual as a mum and the fantastic support from your partner.

Life Is for living and your kids will grow up to have a great mum. You deserve all luck in the world and if people say you make your own luck there is some truth in that too.

Whats makes a great mum you do Lauren.

So less negativity look after your partner and continue to get strength from your kids.

You will get your goal in life your already on your way.

Good Luck.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 20:08
Awww kfc, yer big softy.. You sound like a great fella.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 11 2014 at 20:16
Sid Stop it I've a reputation to keep up.

Your right Sid I've just been Watching Man utd game on tv, My sons says can I borrow your car. I said yes but there's no fuel in it.

So I gave him my card to fill it up.Guess what he's done, He's took my card and his car.

Softy or Sucker comes to mind you work it out.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 20:26
Harrrrr! That's soooo funny! And we think we know it all eh! That's tickled me that has. My two lads both work with me, so I have stuff to contend with too, but I'm keeping schtum about that one, its brill!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 11 2014 at 20:40
My sons @uni training one day to be GP. God help us all. The only notes he will issue is IOU and all these will be to me.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 20:49
Hey kfc, he,all see you right in your old age though, brilliant family doctor. Keep him sweet! I have to take powders to keep me on an even keel with my two,they've mapped out a nursing home for me!! Little gits!
I keep cracking my whip on their backs at work! Just kidding,they get treat the same as my other guys.
Well?? Maybe worse actually. So they tell me.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:00
Our other three kids have grown up moved on and now only come for Sunday Lunch to take Mam to Morrisons weekly ( IN TURN) when times are hard every week and when grandkids want to stop when they can escape the parents.

So yes we see them all the time lovely.

As for a old peoples home I think after reading this weeks Barnsley Chronicle all the kids not the grand kids have decided a Anderson's Shelter in Cudworth is the way forward for Mummy and Daddy.

Any one got a spare Bedroom don't mind paying Bedroom Tax.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:13
Haha,but talking about the Anderson's, I,d love one for my chickens. And when things get lary, it,d sit clucking away with them!
Really do hope the museum takes one in, you only have to look around and see things are changing so fast. I was thinking the museum could find out the education curriculum and work towards an educational section that tally's in with it. It would work well for the museum and the kids.

Reply Posted by Warrior on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:17
@sid & Kfc steady down old boys if you families read these posts you might find yourselves in a one up one down Anderson's Shelters. What a partnership.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:22
Haha! Very good @warrior.

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:21
Thank you very much @kfc very kind and wise words from a very kind and wise man that's means a lot that does. I will take on all what you and @Sid has said. Thank you both.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:25
LOL I said ages ago you are bonkers and right up my street I'm hissing my self laughing right now. .

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:28
He picks up every opportunity eh? He,s as sharp as a banana. Haha!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:30
lauren. Thank You.Done it, WornTee Shirt. And come out of the other end.

God Bless you Darling. Onwards and upwards no more negativity.

Remember some people thrive on other peoples downfalls.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:34
Hey kfc,that's made me laugh! The thread is about pregnancy and we have got waylaid! But read the front blurb! Sounds like you,ve been preggers, and worn the tee shirt and come out the other end.!!
That's tickled me!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:45
@Sid let's get this sorted once and for all firstly I was referring to LOL about pissing my self laughing.

second Warrior was referring to me and you in a one up one down Anderson Shelter.

I was advising lauren about wearing a tee shirt.

So if you think there's any chance of me meeting you while I'm having a piss in my tee shirt. Then offering you a lift to my Anderson's shelter you've got me wrong.

Some people are hard to reject.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday January 11 2014 at 21:49
Hahaha! Not a wet tee shirt!
Look what that LOL,S set off now! Haha.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 00:51
EXCUSE ME MISS LAUREN - you say you are not clever enough to be a teacher. You are so wrong. You would be an asset to the teaching profession. You have coped with homelesness. You are now getting the qualifications you did not get in school. You GO GIRL.

To the other posters, I am not being patronising. I think Lauren is a very opionated person who brings valid posts to this site. Bloody brilliant lady.

Reply Posted by Frank on Tuesday January 14 2014 at 07:43
Kilkenny - His this the same Lauren you call all the vile names in recent posts? You are so full of yourself and I wish for all our sakes you would stop pulling our Town down. Go back to the Mews with your so called close neighbourhood. The language barrier would be hard to break down.