Grant Will Help Tackle Rogue Landlords

Tuesday January 7 2014

Dan Jarvis MP Dan Jarvis MP

NEW funding to help tackle rogue landlords has been welcomed by a Barnsley MP.

The £23,000 won by Barnsley Council following a competitive bidding round has been awarded by the Department for Communities and Local Government.

Mr Jarvis said he was often contacted by constituents who were struggling in rented homes which 'don't make the grade'.

Mr Jarvis added: "They're paying their money to private landlords who show a complete disregard for their wellbeing and safety, and instead just focus on profit.

"This can range from refusing to provide adequate heating, leading to mould and health problems, to insisting on over-letting properties, resulting in dangerous overcrowding.

"This often has a knock-on effect for local communities, through noise problems, sanitation issues, benefit fraud and anti-social behaviour.

"Many private landlords in Barnsley are responsible but this new funding will help the council tackle the selfish minority who bring misery to people’s lives.

"Barnsley Council have done well to win this money, so let this be a wake-up call to rogue landlords."

Reply Posted by central on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 14:00
House isn't windproof or watertight. Lack of insulation means it doesn't retain heat.
Solid walls, damp issues. Keep getting told - we will address this issues asap but nothing ever happens. complain and cause trouble will surely result in bad news. Always pay rent on time and treat house as it is my own keep clean tidy and attend to minor repairs. dehumidifiers running around the clock and spend a fortune on gas and electric in order to help combat damp and try to keep warm.

Reply Posted by under75 on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 14:04
@central

The coucil should do more for tenants - maybe have tenant groups, online community? share information and offer advice as in this situation it feels as you are alone with nobody to turn to! What schemes are available, how does a landlord access them what does a tenant need to say to landlord without getting laughed off? Surely the health and economic links from such issues should be of interest to the council/NHS?

Reply Posted by adele on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 14:06
Too true landlords dont give a rubbish last house i rented got envirementle health out n they had t fo work on house so kicked us out, the house we rentinh now the boiliers dropping t bits n all wires showing as anything been done? As it hell

Reply Posted by kerry on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 14:07
Barnsley council are just as bad a mother of a mew born son living in a house full of damp caused by a leak in roof put scaffolding up only to take it back down without replacing the tiles causing the leak causing the damp .. and not just damp and mould a full on drip running down her baby wall hence to say she cannot put a baby child or anyone in that room its discusting house is freezing as all widows are old wood ones that don't fit also a old back boiler that works when it wants .. it makes my blood boil ! And they aint on benifits either the work and are too scared to hold rent back ...

Reply Posted by kerry on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 14:08
Sorry for selling am on mi phone haha

Reply Posted by kerry on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 14:08
Spelling

Reply Posted by jane on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 14:09
We live in a damp ridden property there's damp in kitchen cupboards round windows in our bedroom who we share with our 7 month old The front is damaged n as had wood just shoved round the door frame so we can lock it we was told on 16th dec they would fix it n its still not been done back door is broken in lets in wind and rain they just dont do anything but nothing we can do :(

Reply Posted by Liz on Friday January 10 2014 at 20:47
Stop smoking Jane and you would be able to better yourself!

Reply Posted by Mariah Perkins on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 15:38
My house is in such a bad state that the health authority came out and wrote a 4 page report on it, worst is the attic where I sleep the window is a 1 pane window and it's that rotten with rain coming in because of the rotten frame that it's now bending my main structural beam oh and the water (when it rains) is coming through the roof and into my wiring and blowing my electrics and The walls are crumbling too! But still nothing has been din about this and now the guys that came to do the report won't ring me back he just keeps ignoring the messages I leave

Reply Posted by FAWKE on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 18:06
Slumlords should be licenced and be made responsable for the trash they move in as tenants. Alot of the private rented slumlords let any scum in as long as the social pay them the rent .Leaving the poor homeowners with druggy thieving scum neighbours and wiping thousands off the value of there homes. Landlords who keep putting scum in the houses should have licence revoked

Reply Posted by Tenant on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 18:53
There should be more laws in place to protect tenants and some form of local agency who can advice and enforce. I have damp in my living room and kitchen which has spread to the neighbours home my windows don't shut properly and let rain in my front door is almost impossible to shut and my back door may as well not be there! The heating bills are crippling me so any hope of saving enough money to move is gone! Fed up! I'm a single mum who works full time and expect to be able to live in a home that's fit for purpose when I pay my rent each month!

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 21:26
And what about rogue tenants, surely both parties should be afforded the same protection.

2 weeks before Christmas I had a tenant, who paid £276 PCM for a nice clean 2 bed terrace clear off in the night, they shat in the living room, and bath ! Stole all the radiators and boiler, whilst paying to put all this right we found that they had also bypassed the electric meter. Guess what they said when I caught up them, second word was off !!.

Reply Posted by Fawkes on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 10:58
Fred vet your tenants better

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 20:50
The tenant was placed in my property by surestart a council run organisation looking for help from genuine landlords, you try to do your bit for peoe who for what ever reason have found there self in a mess. Never again !!

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Thursday January 9 2014 at 10:49
I own a property which I let to social housing tenants. Fortunately they have been in the property for many years and don't fall under the 'housing cap' that was brought in. I maintain the property and always follow the guidelines suggested by the council. I prefer to let to benefit claimants. The council always pays on time!

Reply Posted by vc on Friday January 10 2014 at 20:15
My last landlord had more properties than pages in the bible!! For the previous 2 winters we went without heating or hot water whilst their was snow storms too. I have 2 kids one was a toddler the other under 8 and we spent over a month both times getting a bucket wash n trying t stay warm with water bottles!! All because they wouldn't replace the faulty boiler then we found we were living in a death trap when the pipes under the bath and the drain pipes were leaking into the kitchen and dripping onto our 20 years out of date metal lekki switch box the electrishion didn't even want to touch it he argued with the landlord over it but got told t sort it or no payment!! He wouldav walked away if I didn't have children and advised me to get out fast.. thankfully I got out and not a moment sooner.

Reply Posted by Good and bad on Sunday January 12 2014 at 18:44
We was evicted from our last property by the bailiffs after our landlord had not payed his morgage even with the bailiff there I was in phone to humans he denied there was any issues but would not come to sort it out we payed on time every time and was evicted 2 days after paying a full months rent didn't even get our bond back !!!! The propert we got since then is owned by a gentleman called Craig I believe he has a few property's in the barnsley are. The man wants an award how he runs things we had what appeared to be damp in the room starting to show and he checked it out the. Completely ripper out all the walls while we was in holiday treated them and replanted them floor to ceiling with out any issues or augment once the boiler tripped out and the plumber was there within the hour a true credit to the name landlord.....