Meeting Held To Discuss Animal Cruelty Complaints

Monday January 23 2012

POLICE have a organised a special meeting to gather evidence into alleged animal crimes happening across Cudworth and Royston.

The meeting - which will be held tomorrow (January 24) at Cudworth Fire Station at 1pm - is open for residents who have any information about a series of alleged animal attacks taking place in the area.

Furious residents claim that someone is stealing their cats and dogs and using them as bait to train hunting dogs for 'lamping' - where hunters shine bright torches in animal's eyes to startle them.

Sgt Stephanie Smith, from Royston and Cudworth Safer Neighbourhood Team, said the meeting is being held because - although many people are talking about the issue - no real evidence has yet been put forward.

She said: "We are hearing complaints that cats and dogs are being pinched and put in a field and used to train hunting dogs on.

"We've had people ring us up and say there are piles of bodies of cats and dogs left in places but we haven't actually had any firm evidence we can use.

"When we get these reports we offer to go an investigate - but then we are told the bodies have been moved, and no-one knows who has moved them, or exactly where they were.

"People are talking about this issue - but we seem to be getting the information third hand when we actually need it first hand so we can start to gather some proper information about it."

The meeting will be treated as confidential - and media have been asked not to attend so that proper evidence can be collected.

She added: "We don't want it to become a meeting abut this issue in general - we want people who have specific evidence that can help us move forward."

Anyone who can't make the meeting, or who plans to attend and wants to make police aware, should contact the team on 736484.

Reply Posted by TC on Tuesday January 24 2012 at 08:33
Here we go again, SYP to apply another sticking plaster to a broken leg.  In this case however it's impossible to blame them as they can only work within the laws of the land.  If this government tightened up the rules regarding dog ownership (e;g; compulsory micro-chipping, licensing etc) lamping, fouling, dog attacks, dumping of unwanted dogs & every other dog related crime would be far easier to tackle.  It would also be far better for the welfare of dogs all round.

Reply Posted by Jojobarnsley on Tuesday January 24 2012 at 14:49
hope lamping gets banned for good, killing domestic pets is discusting

Reply Posted by Welshwhippetman on Tuesday January 24 2012 at 21:05
how come this is getting blamed on lampers what about people with pit bull and i dont think lampers will use a dog to train another dog to hunt as many people have more then 1 dog and go out with people with more then 1 dog and bushing with terriers after rabbits ect dont put the plame on lampers

Reply Posted by Hullhunter on Tuesday January 24 2012 at 21:06
what a load of crap ive been into hunting most my life and have NEVER knowen anyone to use dogs and cats to train there dogs it would be a pointless exercise they are trained to hunt rabbits and rats so how would setting them on cats and dogs teach them to do this. bye the sounds of it this is made up by some anti hunting sap and thats why there is no evidence.

Reply Posted by Hullhunter on Tuesday January 24 2012 at 21:10
also lamping is just pest control at night the lamp is not used to shine into the eyes to startle them. its used to see them because its dark at night.

Reply Posted by Stabba on Tuesday January 24 2012 at 21:28
nothing wrong with lamping, been have been doing it for years. Lock up the peados and smack dealers.

Reply Posted by juckels cory on Tuesday January 24 2012 at 21:31
piles of cat bodies ..what a load of shiite...

Reply Posted by GrCh on Tuesday January 24 2012 at 21:32
lampers are dog lovers then would never train their lurchers on dogs get a bloody grip! Its all about respecting your quarry and the countryside.

Reply Posted by Jojobarnsley on Tuesday January 24 2012 at 23:14
I havent got a clue in context to what ????, idiots are murdering peoples pets..FACT, so get a grip

Reply Posted by jamie mc on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 00:03
I have never heard so much rubbish in all my life im sorry to say how many greyhound dogs or crossers have you seen attack other animals or domstic pets .I have been in to lamping all my life
and rabbits are the lampers prefred choice as it takes a lot skill to train a hunting dog .And to waste all that time and effort on killing pets is just rubbish.
                                                         atb
                                                                  jamie mc

Reply Posted by Jojobarnsley on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 01:13
Mmmm very witty, however actually taking my postgraduate exams this week!

Reply Posted by Mcsquizzer on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 11:39
Did not realise you could get postgraduate qualifications in idiocy!

Reply Posted by Milly on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 16:34
Ive seen this with my own eyes a lad that goes lamping set his dog on a cat and kill it infact both my children witnessed this too, yes people go lamping to kill rabbits and rats but these lads are not doing this for pest control or to eat their kill they are doing it for the pleasure of seeing an animal ripped to pieces and are using peoples pets as bait its not rubbish because these pathetic little boys who think they are big hard men  are doing it and it needs stopping,

Reply Posted by Milly on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 16:36
But these lads arnt like my above comments these are silly little boys who are making their dogs kill anything

Reply Posted by Milly on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 16:38
Then these lads are more stupid than i thought! cats are being killed, i have seen it and a lot of other people have seen it if only it was made up!!!

Reply Posted by jamie mc on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 18:35
Milly there are fools in all walks of life and most people would be ashamed to be associated with the small minority that give us law abiding individuals a bad name . And most hunters show the animal they are hunting the up most respect when living and when is is dead.
                                                        atb
                                                                  jamie

Reply Posted by Milly on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 20:06
Then Jamie I'm sure you agree with me then that these sick f***s need stopping, n unfortunately in this area these idiots seem to be increasing in numbers.

Reply Posted by Jojobarnsley on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 20:37
well said Milly, it is happening and the silly little boys ruin it for people who hunt responsibly

Reply Posted by twobob on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 21:05
milly you said cat ,then cats ,which is it?and do you have pictures of all these dead cats and dogs?

Reply Posted by jamie mc on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 21:12
Milly lets not get in to agree or disagree the article for my reply was that lampers where tacking peoples pets to train for hunting .if you have seen them why did you not take a pitcher with yore phone are call the police and like they say no hard Evidence.
 And if its not the foxhunting its something els.
                                                                     atb
                                                                               jamie
                                                                                         ftb.

Reply Posted by Jm Mchale1 on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 21:13
 And if its not the foxhunting its something els.
                                                                     atb
                                                                               jamie
                                                                                         ftb.

Reply Posted by jamie mc on Wednesday January 25 2012 at 21:14
 And if its not the foxhunting its something els.
                                                                     atb
                                                                               jamie
                                                                                         ftb.

Reply Posted by Milly on Thursday January 26 2012 at 07:49
Unfortunately no as I was too shocked and at first thought it was a cuddly toy until the cat started screaming, I did forget to shout to the lad to turn round so I could get photographic evidence of THE CAT, my reference to CATS is the other people who this has happened to and have witnessed it, n I'm sure the thing that's furthest from their mind while their pet is being killed is hang on I'll just get my camara!!

Reply Posted by GrCh on Thursday January 26 2012 at 12:38
oh dear milly did somebody not get enough attention growing up my love?

Reply Posted by GrCh on Thursday January 26 2012 at 12:40
Milly wheres you proof? You dont have any. Untill you do keep donating to the money grabbers ifit makes you feel better!

Do you eat milly?

Reply Posted by Milly on Thursday January 26 2012 at 13:50
Duh of course I eat!! If you meant do I eat meat then no I don't, I do appreciate that people hunt to EAT their kill and it's probably a lot better than the way animals are farmed and slaughtered in this country to get to someones plate, but this isn't the issue here its the killing of pets by young lads who also go lamping, I have got evidence just not of the incident regarding the cat I witnessed being killed

Reply Posted by Milly on Thursday January 26 2012 at 13:53
Why respond with pathetic little comments like that? Grow up if you have nothing constructive to add please don't comment

Reply Posted by Milly on Thursday January 26 2012 at 13:53

Reply Posted by Milly on Thursday January 26 2012 at 14:12
I really wish I did have time to take a picture or even better video it but it happened so quick the lad ran off as there was myself with my 2 children and another lady with her 2 dogs who saw it happen, we both reported it but obviously nothing was pursued, whether they are stealing pets to use as bait for lamping I don't know, but I do know that pets are being killed for fun, I'm just concerned that animals are being killed not all lampers n hunters do it responsibly.

Reply Posted by Cjjubb on Friday January 27 2012 at 14:43
lamping is not ilegal! i cannot believe the state this country is in at the min with hunting and our way of life. little chavs going about killing cats and small dogs 4 fun is bad but these people are not hunters or lampers so stop using these words to describe them.

Reply Posted by Hullhunter on Monday January 30 2012 at 02:22
so maby someone has been killing cats with a dog but why call them lampers because lampers they are not.

if a taxi driver kills someone you dont start shouting taxi drivers are all driving round killing people do you. it pisses me off we as lampers get the stick every time someones cat gose missing of someones farm gets robed its blame the lampers.

dont you think its not enuff that you anti saps have taken half our life with the hunting ban without trying your hardest to giving us all a bad name.

Reply Posted by Paul693 on Monday January 30 2012 at 15:05
I know who these lads are, and they do call themselves lampers/hunters your problem shouldn't be with these people who are concerned about their pets it should be with the silly little boys who are killing everything with a heartbeat n thinking they are big strong hard b******s!

Reply Posted by Mj on Monday January 30 2012 at 19:13
you numpty, pest control... u use a lamp to see in a field... wat a numpty if ya think we believe that