Self Check-In Kiosks Introduced At Hospital

Friday January 3 2014

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

SELF check-in kiosks have been introduced in the outpatient department Barnsley Hospital to reduce patient waiting times.

The kiosks allow patients to book in for their appointment without having to see a receptionist.

They confirm their gender, date of birth and a few details before the patient is issued with a ticket confirming their call number, appointment and location.

Patients are then able to take their seats in the waiting area identified on the ticket.

Justine Britton, business support manager for outpatients, said: "The system will help to reduce the amount of time patients are waiting around in the main waiting area and the need for patients to be escorted to their appointment by staff.

"We have made sure the system is fully supported by staff and volunteers who will be on hand to provide assistance and support to those who need it."

The patient is still able to choose whether to use the kiosks or the receptionist.

One kiosk is based at the outpatient entrance at the bottom of the escalator and two have been installed upstairs next to the main outpatient reception desk.

The kiosks are currently only in use for patients who are asked to report to main outpatient reception.

This covers clinics in medical outpatients, surgical outpatients, rheumatology, respiratory and ear, nose and throat.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 3 2014 at 16:18
Kilkenny is in London so it's all good for our doctors they don't av deal with the confusion of who n what the hell it is

Reply Posted by nicola on Friday January 3 2014 at 19:06
good as the receptionists are so slow and takes them all their time to acknowledge your stood at the desk

Reply Posted by Kfc on Friday January 3 2014 at 19:40
This is a double edged sword if the Hospitial have a system that let's you book in.

Then in return they will want some savings example job losses. The Hospitial management will say we don't need as many receptionist.

That may be true for booking in. What about the patients that's been to see the Doctor and needs to book their next appointment etc.

That's when the problems will start long queue's. One receptionists on duty and many people requiring a new follow up appointment.

Hospitals are targeted and paid on getting patients from A-B in certain times.

This idea has been set up by a Hospitial Accountant not some one that wants to help the elderly and people with sight problems getting to the Doctor quicker.

Reply Posted by jan on Saturday January 4 2014 at 02:42
I agree, itl cause more problems that it will solve. and you will prob still have the "cant book in till 10/15mins before your app", so how is it going to help, people will still be queuing to book in at the automated booking in

Reply Posted by jan on Saturday January 4 2014 at 02:33
they have this booking in system at my doctors, was out of order for 2 mth at least b4 Christmas!.. receptionist may be slow, but they only making sure they are booking you in correctly.... and they don't break down and have to be sent off for repair !

Reply Posted by dawnc on Saturday January 4 2014 at 15:44
We went to Pinderfields Hospital Wakefield self check in there all went smoothly. just booked in on screen then sat in waiting room till screen showed your name and told you where to go no problem really. Also there was a person just watching over any confused people he approached and explained how it worked.

Reply Posted by me on Saturday January 4 2014 at 22:22
I agree Jan receptionists get a raw deal get skated just for doing their jobs I think it a good idea b may b easier for a tents to book themselves in and modify the system but people are going to end up losing their jobs which isn't so good.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Sunday January 5 2014 at 20:29
LOL and Lauren. Are you both backward? I am not TS. Do you mean to be so discriminatory? You both sound thick.

Reply Posted by sandra on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 19:53
we have had this at our G P surgery and it works well

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 00:12
Y bring my kids into it got a problem then slate me not bring my kids into it they said n done nothing to u av a bit ov respect not for me for my innocent kids like av said before I CHOOSE to write like this n considering both ov my children r in full time education n they are brainy enough to complete there own home work don't need me to sit by them n one more point y would my kids be doin homework at daft o clock in the mornin there fast on