Boy's Death Could Have Been Avoided, Report Claims

Friday January 3 2014

Michael Beaumont Michael Beaumont

A BABY boy who was murdered by his father could have been avoided if concerns for his welfare had been picked up on sooner.

A report by Barnsley Safeguarding Children's Board said that concerns should have been raised months beforeKadan Beaumont's death.

The 11-month-old died in 2011 after his father Michael Beaumont inflicted fatal injuries, before claiming the family's dog was to blame.

Beaumont, a part-time gardener who lived on Chapel Street, Hoyland Common, was jailed for life in December.

Kadan's mother, Helen Barnes, 28, was given a six-month suspended jail sentence for neglect.

Kadan was born in Sheffield but lived his entire life in Barnsley with both parents.

The report says Kadan, who is referred to as 'Child K' in the report, was not known to Barnsley Social Care until he was admitted to hospital with the injuries that led to his death.

It also said Kadan had been seen at hospital twice in the space of eight days when he was two months old.

On the first occasion he was taken to Barnsley Hospital because he had been coughing up blood as a result of a burst blood vessel in his pharynx.

His second visit was to Sheffield Children's Hospital where he was treated for a swelling on his ear.

The report said this injury 'should have been investigated as a possible non-accidental injury' but was overlooked by medics, despite colleagues recognising the need to investigate the cause.

Peter Ward, author of the report, said: "The findings suggest there were incidents that should have resulted in agencies having concerns about Child K's welfare as early as December 2010.

"Such concerns should have led to a different course of action in which case the tragic death of Child K may have been avoided."

Bob Dyson, chairman of Barnsley Safeguarding Children Board, said: "The review made a number of recommendations of lessons to be learnt and improvements in working practices.

"All of those recommendations have been actioned."

A spokesman for Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust offered condolences to Kadan's family.

"Kadan was brought to Barnsley Hospital when he was two months old with a lesion in his mouth and was seen by a registrar.

"At the time we believed the clinical decisions we made were correct, however we accept that in hindsight we should have considered admitting Kadan whilst further enquiries were made.

"We have learned lessons from this and put appropriate changes in place."

Pathologists found 34 different injuries on Kadan's body, including two fractures to the toddler's skull, and said he died as a result of a heavy impact to his head.

Reply Posted by ???? on Friday January 3 2014 at 10:18
Barnsley social services are a set of idiots this little boy could still be alive if them and medical staff and done there job properly too many kids getting hurt n not enough being done about it RIP little man x

Reply Posted by /// on Friday January 3 2014 at 10:23
Same old story. Nothing ever changes where social services are concerned. How many more children have to die before they get it right - too many !!!!!

Reply Posted by Mrs DAvis on Friday January 3 2014 at 10:31
This man killed his child and social services and the hospital staff have been blamed along side. Government cutbacks are responsible, most of our hospitals are understaffed putting people at risk.

Reply Posted by Sara on Friday January 3 2014 at 10:33
How can this be social services fault? As stated. This child was unknown to them. They don't have crystal balls and are over stretched as it is. This is an awful tradgey. I expect the doctors the baby saw at 2 months are full of remorse as this is where this child's life could have been saved. The two incidences were obviously not logged as accidents or the he would have been alerted. Hence the changes to be made.

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Friday January 3 2014 at 10:40
So a Father kills his child and its social services fault, even though social services were unaware of this little boy until he had sustained the injuries which led to his death.
Things may have been different if the healthcare professionals had alerted social services. How can social services act if they are never made aware?

Reply Posted by sam on Friday January 3 2014 at 11:32
They target the wrong people.. When I took my daughter to hospital after an unfortunate accident they were quick to get my health visitor and Ss involved.. Even though I would never harm a hair on my baby's heads. X

Reply Posted by SS on Friday January 3 2014 at 14:06
Two of my children have been to A&E over the years . Both genuine accidents. Both times my health visitor was informed and visited us afterwards to check on the child. This is when the system works. I hadn't done anything wrong and so had no problem with contact from them. I was just glad that they're were taking the time to make sure my little ones were ok!!!

Reply Posted by Sarah on Friday January 3 2014 at 16:32
This child must have had a gp/health visitor /practice nurse (jabs). The fact the he was not know to social services is not a valid reason. Once again poor multi agency communication, information sharing and documentation... Ugh.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday January 3 2014 at 16:45
the dumb social services are failing epic style again...........

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 3 2014 at 17:48
He should av Been taken away from his parents as soon as he was taken to hospital Coughin up blood that poor defenseless child must av been soo confused n that shambolic excuse ov a mother should av known something wrong she should be sent to jail for life for allowin her son to be abused by her partner if only I ad the power to help these kids ano how's it's feels but I was lucky n escaped at 16 n never looked back but that boy had no chance no hope makes me cry to know who that child felt rip kadan

Reply Posted by fuming !!!!!! on Friday January 3 2014 at 18:30
to top it all off his mother was a nursery nurse who had even been on a parenting course !!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 3 2014 at 18:57
Omg that is disgusting n jus to think I ad to go thro hell to keep my daughter cos I was abused n ran away the hostil I was livin in actually got me checked to make sure I was stable mentally and physically to look after her made sure I ad nappies creams bathing lotions n shampoo absolutely everything then they surprised visit up until she was two n finely gave me the all clear n taken off the social service list cos I turned 18 n officially became an adult they can do that to me y not other people get what I got

Reply Posted by dj on Friday January 3 2014 at 20:00
There is only 2 ppl to blame for this poor child's death and that's the sick parents... they killed him not social services, or government cuts... when parents like these 2 sick b******* have kids they should be sterilised so they can never have any more kids. The mother should be doing life for allowing this, no proper mother would allow this, or not see whats happening. Social services are crap, but they are not to blame for a death carried out by these 2 thugs

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 3 2014 at 20:08
Agree 100%

Reply Posted by Kfc on Friday January 3 2014 at 20:18
Nothing can comprehend what the little fella went through. One thing for sure the animal that has no right to be called a dad. Will be well looked after in prison the inmates will make him wish he was dead.

As for that other piece of shit that gave birth to him will get her just rewards. I hope she suffers the most painful death possible.

Reply Posted by annoyed on Saturday January 4 2014 at 09:52
The system still doesn't work! When I was a kid and growing up in a violent home and practically emaciated the social workers were only bothered about my nutty stepmother. Now many years on, it's still the same story. I feel sorry for those doing the job as they do it with one hand tied behind their back. On this occasion they weren't even involved! Who knows why! On the four occasions that my niece reported her neighbors for suspected abuse, she wasn't the only one that heard it either, the police threatened her with a charge of harassment!! They wanted her to go to mediation!! Apparently the neighbors had had two full social services investigations and were fine. That tells its own story as they hadn't lived there long so had obviously been reported before! The new system is ment to stop people going under the radar by moving around! The one's who pay the price are the kids that died or are left to suffer for lack of investigation. I've walked in their shoes, it's not pleasant.

Reply Posted by jane on Sunday January 5 2014 at 12:20
As usual social services arnt doing there jobs properly as there is a case i know about that still hasnt been dealt with in the appropriate way and i can see this little boy ending up dead or seriously poorly. Get yourselfs sorted out and save these little babys from being hurt by there parents or other ppl its such a horrible thing to read about and all i think about is if only they had been there and saved those precious little babys they could have been with a family that cant have babys and be in a stable happy home where they wont be treated like this its awful. I think the dads should be castrated so they cant have any more babys to hurt and same for mothers too why should they be allowed to have anymore kids if they have done it once they can and will do it again!. R.i.p baby k and to all those other precious little angels took by there horrid parents

Reply Posted by grim reaper on Sunday January 5 2014 at 12:35
am waiting ,wont be long

Reply Posted by X on Sunday January 5 2014 at 12:41
Why do social services get the blame when a child dies.
Open your eyes the father killed the child.
If the child is not known to social services how on earth can they do anything to protect. We don't have crystal balls.

Reply Posted by Helen on Sunday January 5 2014 at 13:12
Nothing rocks me more to the core than such devastating news as this!! Words can't express the sadness you feel when you read it and the overwhelming sense of frustration knowing its probably happening to some poor young child now :(

Reply Posted by jane on Sunday January 5 2014 at 13:16
The reason they do get blame "X" is because 99.9% of the time they are involved and know the circumstances the childs in but yet they hold it off and hold it off until something like this happens in this case they say they werent involved but i know of a case that social services ARE involved the kids in danger and still they havnt took him off her hes been in hospital neumerous of times and all theyve done is put him on child at risk registar and monitoring him what they gunna do monitor him till they fail again and he ends up extremely poorly,hurt or dead? So yeah i blame ss all the time cos they dont do there jobs properly n i will keep blamin em till they start n do whats best for the babies/children

Reply Posted by lauren on Sunday January 5 2014 at 13:53
All I can sai is Victoria climbe I am a teachin assistant who ad to go thro all the safeguarding issues that failed this little girl if this little girls name is unknown to u then I Google it n read what that little girl went thro n then tell me social services are not to blame

Reply Posted by d on Sunday January 5 2014 at 16:02
R.I.P kaden :/ mikey as 2 kids so why did he kill 1 child an not.the other an why ain't the other child in care l?? nobody knows the full ins an outs of it u only no what it says here!!

Reply Posted by christine on Sunday January 5 2014 at 16:27
the sicko should never ever be allowed out of jail ever again, and we no social services didnt do it, but where were em, normally there their if a child isnt getting hurt, but when this is going off, there no where, thats social services for you, there useless!! Ris baby boy.

Reply Posted by christine on Sunday January 5 2014 at 16:34
rip baby boy

Reply Posted by d on Sunday January 5 2014 at 18:09
Well if he been done for murder then he clearly not gettin out he got life with a min of 18years to serve doesn't say that on here just says got life in December nobody knows what really happened the 2 people that do is mikey an the mother but she should be banged up full stop

Reply Posted by Warrior on Sunday January 5 2014 at 18:33
Please stop referring to her as the Mother.

Mothers don't treat there children like that she is a beast, monster or filth she is certainly not a mother. Rot in hell you scum bag.

Reply Posted by D on Sunday January 5 2014 at 19:48
Well at 1 point she was the mother to the child before she start knockin him around like a punch bag......why ain't she in prison that's it cos she gave a pathetic excuse in court the ***** sob story....well if you can see this ya horrible bitch hope you suffer a very painful life an when ya walk down street some **** smacks ya in teeth......Am not defending anyone before people have a pop at me but I no Mikey an nobody will understand what really happened behind close doors.....you only no what's been said on here an yeah it's bang out of order what as happened poor kaden only had a short life but nobody knows what went off apart from he was abused.......I have 2 children my self an I could never harm a hair on there body but I took my youngest child to hospital cos she wouldn't stop been sick an I had social straight on my back an she was only unwell soo why didn't the hospital phone the social when he first ever went into hospital that's right they turned a blind eye to it all I after say it there all ***** useless!!!!

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday January 9 2014 at 22:17
The drs who 1st saw him should have had course for concern coughing up blood and the swelling on his ear. This little boy would most likely still be alive today if drs had raised their concerns and got social services involved he could have been put on the AT RISK REGISTER. Their are families I know who are getting hounded by social services and not doing bad things

Reply Posted by Insider on Thursday January 9 2014 at 22:39
My contacts tells me this shit has been more then welcomed.

Reply Posted by q on Friday January 10 2014 at 00:14
I went to this court case so do no some ins and outs and yes I agree that both mother and father were to blame! But when kaden was taken in to hospital with a swollen ear they were both arrested under caution and questioned then released with no charge so doctors did raise alarm bells but never followed up by social services which inevitably killed the poor child so there was massive failing from all authorities especially social service and for the record his other child was on the at risk register but as him and the other child's mother had split up was taken off it!! He was a massive risk to any child