'Pirate' Taxis On Rise In Town

Thursday January 2 2014

PEOPLE who use 'pirate' taxis could be putting their lives at risk, Barnsley taxi drivers have warned.

Barnsley Hackney Carriage Association says unlicensed taxis are on the rise in the town with an estimated 20 to 30 circulating, especially at weekends.

They advertise their services on Facebook. Some have been doing it for a couple of years.

It's understood cowboy drivers are often on benefits and topping up their income through taxi driving. Others are supplementing low-paid jobs.

Mark Cocks, of the Barnsley Hackney Carriage Association, said the pirate drivers used their own cars.

"It's often young men and women with nice cars - their insurance is high and they have to find a way of paying for it," he added.

He stressed these drivers were illegal and put lives at risk as they did not have the required public liability insurance.

Private car insurance for young people costs between £1,800 to £2,000 a year, while a legitimate cabbie might pay around £18,000 a year.

Mr Cocks said licensed taxi drivers paid thousands each year in public liability insurance - and were insured for up to £10m.

If pirate drivers had an accident and a passenger was injured - or worse - they would not get compensation.

He added: "I know the police recently caught one person taxi-ing in his own car and he was found to be three times over the drink drive limit."

He said that pirate drivers were also not police checked.

"Single females face the threat of rape or sexual assaults from these drivers."

He believed some pirate drivers genuinely did not know they were doing wrong, but others were actively making a living while knowing it was illegal.

Reply Posted by Adam Harris on Thursday January 2 2014 at 11:39
We'll fair comment but we are in a recession taxis are too expensive to start with so come on what would you rather pay Christmas peak 60 pound or 10 pound ???? Exactly it's like anything more than likely no matter what the risks or the difference people go for cheaper deal with it without trying to prejudice people's mind your too expensive your a thing of the pastttttttt.......

Reply Posted by Louise on Thursday January 2 2014 at 11:41
Am ok as I don't use taxis if any one does use taxis just be save

Reply Posted by danni on Thursday January 2 2014 at 11:51
I don't know anyone that has seen or been in a car when a randomer has pulled up amd said there taxiing. I have seen friends on facebook advertise it which I will use over normal taxis, its safer cos u know them and cheaper! Amount of times my mates have told me about a weird taxi driver taking em home. One private hire in town asking where she wanted to go and she said elsecar and he said weirdly are you sure you want to go there meaning somewhere with him! And most of em have the worst BO in the world hahaha

Reply Posted by lara on Thursday January 2 2014 at 12:11
I don't know how you can say that taxi drivers are police checked do you know how many have actually got records for sexual assult and still get to drive taxis its disgusting I would rather use a friend whos doing it than a taxi any day and you can still get compensation if you in a crash from there insurance as at end of day how many people give there friends a lift home loads so that's rubbish. at least you know the person I have had loads of taxi drivers been weird and saying things they shouldn't, been rude, over charging, and driving stupid just so they can fit more jobs in just because they have a licence does not mean they are safer in any way at all.

Reply Posted by Dane on Thursday January 2 2014 at 12:17
Friends post things on Facebook about "lifts" into town etc, when the taxis are double fair and waiting times are hours long what do the taxi firms expect. I would rather travel with a friend than a taxi driver who's gunna charge me £20 to get from Barnsley to shafton. End of the day if you are giving your Facebook friends lift into or out of town, you don't get a set fair for it, your friends give you money as a gift or good will gesture for the lift home.

Reply Posted by Bazzer on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 14:12
I personally hardly need to use taxis but it is a fact that if an insurance company finds out that a friend is charging you to take you home "the driver is not insured" and neither are the passengers.

Reply Posted by me on Thursday January 2 2014 at 12:29
£14 for a 1 mile journey on boxing day. what a joke ripping the working class off. you don't deserve custom. and yes we have to work unsociable hours 4 single pay. robdogs.

Reply Posted by toot on Thursday January 2 2014 at 12:40
I got a taxi ( blue line ) used the same company for years. Was vastly overcharged .Told the driver I always pay the same fare and was charged £2.20 more..this was a normal working day..i phoned Blue line up as soon as got home..said there would have a word with the driver and call me again the next day.I contacted blue line the next day and nothing was done..rip off so I never use them again..

Reply Posted by Mark Cocks on Thursday January 2 2014 at 12:46
I have read your comments on this post, and have only got this to say to you who think there is nothing wrong with paying your friends, it is illegal, and yes read the print of your insurance policies, it reads "not for hire, or reward" ANY payment voids the insurance...any person csught would recueve automatic 6 points on there license, and probably have there insurance cancelled by the underwriter, making it hard to get insured in the future, then kets talk about the sole traders that they are putting out of work, we run small businesses, just like a market stall holder or shopkeeper as them, we have overheads, and they have to be covered. The towns economy is in decline, and all you people are doing is knocking another nail in the town centers coffin.

Reply Posted by Janet on Thursday January 2 2014 at 12:57
What a joke above^^^^^ Silliest comments I have ever heard. stop ripping working people off and who the hell is going to say that there were getting in an unlicenced taxi..when it is your friend picking you up..I pick my Daughter up and also take her friends home from the Brownies..I do not charge them has I like to make sure that there return home safe.i have done this for years..so your saying I am not allowed as this is against the law..YOU ARE A FOOL

Reply Posted by Baz on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 14:16
It is only illegal if you charge for the service Janet

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday January 2 2014 at 14:04
Well said Janet I was goin to say the same I pick up my nephew from school as my sister is really busy at work I don't charge her for pickin up my nephew also I take n pick up my hubby to be up from work but don't charge him I take my cousin to town Friday & Saturday's her and her mates always offer me a fiver or tenner n as it's the same reason as Janet so I can make sure they safe n I no exactly were they are it's not against the law to care for ur loved ones n make sure there not gettin into a strangers car n end up on a missing persons poster cos u av to be careful these days

Reply Posted by Neil Hudson on Thursday January 2 2014 at 14:08
Hey Janet, one simple question.... You say you pick your daughter up from Brownies each week, well in 10 years time do you think you'll be picking her up from Town at 2.00am in the morning?.... The likely hood is that you won't...so would you prefer to pay an extra few quid to a legitimate taxi, with a legitimate CRB checked taxi driver to take her home or save a few quid and let some unlicensed driver, (probably one of our Eastern European friends) take her home?....if your answer is the latter then I suggest that it is YOU that is the FOOL....

Reply Posted by Dawn on Thursday January 2 2014 at 14:38
To Neil Hudson - Most weekends I pick my Daughter and also her friends up from Barnsley town at 2.30 am. Drop 1 off at Royston and 2 off at Staincross and then we travel to our home at Low Barugh. This is so I know that has young Ladies there will return home safe, Also if I can,t pick them up a friend will bring them home. So this is not Eastern Europeans has you WRONGLY suggested..Most people use very close friends to transport them home..Taxis sould stop ripping people off especially at xmas..What would you do if you went into your local shop xmas day and everything was priced at treble the costs. There would be uproar but it is alright for taxis to do this..

Reply Posted by Aimee on Thursday January 2 2014 at 14:39
I'm pretty sure people won't get in someone's car who they don't know, more then likely friends, as everyone has said would rather get a friend to give me a lift pay for their petrol then be robbed blind! I work in town and as the last bar to close my taxis are about half 6 in morning, Boxing Day I was stranded until 8 in morning waiting for a taxi! From what a taxi driver told me soon as double fare ended they all buggared off out of town! They are an absolute joke!

Reply Posted by nat on Thursday January 2 2014 at 14:40
I take my nan shopping everyweek and she puts fuel in car , no way am I letting my nan be ripped off by taxi drivers who over charge and I wud pick any of my friends up over letting em get in a car with a complete stranger when they have been out drinking just cos they are crb checked does not mean that they won't try it on with vulnerable people or even sexually assualt them! U get some vile taxi drivers and they drive like idiots. I don't agree with people picking complete strangers up cos that's deffo not safe and in that case shud use a taxi but nowt wrong with picking ur friends up ! X

Reply Posted by graham on Thursday January 2 2014 at 14:58
I was waiting at a taxi rank on mad Friday,for over an hour,and there was loads of pirate taxi's,people were using them because they got fed up of waiting,when its busy they should let private hire taxi's use the taxi ranks,and that should help???

Reply Posted by jezzabell on Thursday January 2 2014 at 15:04
yes legitimate taxis should charge double fare over the festive period. how many of you would work xmas day for single money? taxi drivers are crb vetted and a lot safer than a random person u hardly know pickin u up. as for good freinds pickin you up i cant see a problem. its just if anything happens you will pay heavy consequences.

Reply Posted by T on Thursday January 2 2014 at 16:05
Right, So lets get this straight. If you pick a friend up from Town and they offer you a fiver towards fuel consumption this is illegal? What about lift shares in city's where you advertise on a website and the other person pays half to your fuel expense?

However I agree jumping into a random persons car expecting a safe lift home is a bit extreme. But some one picking their mate up and receiving a good will gesture by payment of a couple of quid is far from illegal.

You'll be telling me pocket money is illegal income receiving money in a birthday card is extra income not declared.

Reply Posted by Peter Holmes on Thursday January 2 2014 at 16:58
To Mark Cocks please get your facts right - if there's any cabbie in Barnsley paying £18000 or anywhere near that amount for taxi insurance then he's either being ripped off or he's earning lots and lots of money.

I work for a taxi company in Sheffield with over 400 cars and even the younger drivers on our fleet, ie the supposed high risk drivers only pay £5000 a year maximum. So your figures are vastly over stated. £350 per week on taxi insurance I think not!!!

With regards to fares we charge normal taxi fares plus £2 on Xmas Eve from 6pm, Xmas Day, Boxing Day and again from 6pm on New Years Eve and all day New Years Day. Times have changed and people won't pay double fare or even fare plus half - I think you need to get real on your fares policy.

One subject you are right on though is that of getting into an unlicensed vehicle. This cannot be condoned under any circumstances and is to be stamped out at all costs. However policing this is a different matter entirely!!

With regards to licences it's a well known fact that taxi licenses are far more easily obtained in Barnsley than other South Yorkshire area - in Sheffield it takes approximately 6 months to get a taxi drivers licence.

Good luck in your campaign but facts need to be correct

Reply Posted by Baz on Wednesday February 26 2014 at 14:44
Hi Peter, Our paths have crossed when you ran the Barnsley Publication I don’t recall the name. I am contacting you because I am seeking a professional opinion in regard to TAXILOCATE I have researched the taxi & private hire industry and it occurred to me that the needs of both the driver and the passenger were not been satisfied to that end I devised TAXILOCATE. I would appreciate your opinion on the plan. TAXILOCATE enables a taxi or private hire driver to pinpoint a potential customer anywhere in the UK and Europe. TAXILOCATE detects a customer’s location prior to the pickup. TAXILOCATE will assist drivers to locate the next fair either in your local area or the most likely scenario is when a person is in an unfamiliar town/city and they do not know their exact location. TAXILOCATE uses existing technology in a clever way and no additional equipment is needed. I would like to contact you to discuss further if that is ok.

Reply Posted by Mark Cocks on Thursday January 2 2014 at 17:21
To peter holmes...the press got that wrong, i personally pay that amount for my fleet policy sorry if you was misled, and i shudder to think whst large companies pay...so peter my facts sre right

Reply Posted by Mark Cocks on Thursday January 2 2014 at 17:27
To Dawn, lauren and Janet, the issue is not with mums/dads who take children anywhere the issue is with people who are doing it for gain, im afraid you have the wrong end of the stick.

Reply Posted by Alan burns on Thursday January 2 2014 at 17:28
This paged started trying to poison every persons mind by trying to no insurance no liability etc what a pile of w--- that's quite a cheap shot been honest who cares about that you pay your over heads etc lol if you dont like overheads your in the wrong business obviously get a chip shop job or a newspaper round hehe that way you won't have to shell out I honestly hope all the main taxi firms go bust and self employed people just starting out can set up and give good and honest firm rates regardless of the time of year the law should clamp down on you even dick Turpin wore a mask you should be made to donate 20 % to charity to make the charges in town compulsory !!

Reply Posted by Dale on Thursday January 2 2014 at 17:42
We'll said Alan you have it nail on head lets get the big firms out and the all one in Barnsley would pick the economy up on the weekends in long run I would imagine mate

Reply Posted by Mark Cocks on Thursday January 2 2014 at 17:44
To alan burns...90% of us are all SELF EMPLOYED. And you just cannot start up...takes around 3-6 months to get a taxi license as Peter Holmes said in his comment by the way Peter Holmes thankyou for your other comments, why not have a go at stagecoach or midland mainline, there prices go up every year...NOTHING SAID!!!!!!! OUR PRICES HAVE BEEN KEPT DOWN FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday January 2 2014 at 17:45
It's carnt be a bad job or bussiness to be in. Over the last 25 years plus there is the same drivers on the rank day in day out. They do a Normal job like most people everyday of the week like Tom Dick and Harry.

The only diffrence is they hve been given a green light to rip people off during Christmas and public holiday period.

They have been to able to get away with it and now people are hitting back they don't like it. Also the reason there is at taxis crisis over with the rank is more and more Hackney Drivers decide not to work after 6pm so less taxis are available during busy Christmas and New Yaer Periods.

Time as changed and bussiness practices have to change. Somebody as already said Private High Taxis should be allowed on certain days of the year to. Work off the Ranks in Barnsley.

The Hackney drivers would NEVER allow this has it would compromise there selfish ability to when they work ther hours instead of when then public demand for taxis is high.i

Also it would clear the town centres quicker from alchool situation after pubs turn out and people would be in a safer position getting home quicker than gangs hanging around Taxi Ranks waiting to be ripped off.

just think it would open up the completion on fare prices. The Hackney boys would not want that.

Reply Posted by Mark Cocks on Thursday January 2 2014 at 18:43
To Alan and Kfc...this issue affects both private hire and hackney...and you are all missing the point...it is illegal to taxi without appropriate licenses and insurance..ffs.

Reply Posted by Jane Hunt on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:03
Mark Cocks@ Surely it is illegal to rip people off with the rates charged over xmas..For 1, if you went in a shop at xmas and everything was priced at x2 or x3 would you agree? because a local shop opens at xmas to pay there bills..People would be rioting. Sadly it is robbery and people are now getting fed up with the shite we have to put up with..

Reply Posted by Mark Cocks on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:13
Im done on here. Too many idiots thinking they know what they are talking about.

Reply Posted by lee on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:13
picking your children up from brownies or from a Saturday night out in town is NOT ILLEGAL but picking your mates up from anywhere on any given day and accepting money from them is ILLEGAL as Mark has stated it`s the same as when you give your mate petrol money because he has taken you to the airport this is also ILLEGAL.
Yes maybe next Christmas when it gets round to what will be charged maybe both hackney and private hire firms will get together and think about what will be charged

Reply Posted by kfc on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:16
@Mark Cocks I'm not disputing you may have a valid point.But read my posts and other WABERS opinions and we have raised some good points .

The problem we have is trying to get people and organisations to change. You don't like constructive ideas and you don't like to change your dinosaurs practice.

As for the Town on decline that's another topic Council are to blame for lack of investment for over 20 year period when funds was available

Then again there was a guy called Paul Sykes with a very high IQ that invested in Meadowhall .and cashed in and left Barnsley to decline with Major investments out of towns like ours.

Then there is Barnsley Taxi drivers who are not only content with making a good living out off the people of Barnsley, But insists of ripping us off over Christmas and New Year periods
Come on Mark you can not have your cake and eat it.

Give something back to the people that pay your wages and mortgages and more cars on at night Friday Saturday on the ranks.

Not just cherry picking

Reply Posted by paul on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:29
@mark cocks buses and trains might go up every year but still a lot cheaper than taxi, u can get to sheffield for under a tenner on a bus and a train but go in a taxi it costs a lot more.

Reply Posted by Aaron on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:37
The simple fact is, when the night is over, and people are out in the cold they want to get home. Why not have a warm sheltered place for people to wait? Have a system where people going to areas close by can share a taxi and share the cost, I got into a pirate taxi New Year's Eve because there was simply no taxis in sight, too many people waiting, this was at 5.30am!!

Reply Posted by me on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:55
mark cocks you are the idiot. take note of how Sheffield taxi drivers play the game. £2 extra over the xmas period. cudnt believe the £14 charge for just over a mile. you don't deserve custom.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:55
This is the point I was making surely taxi drivers that have made there money form the good people of Barnsley all year round. Have a duty to make sure they cover the rank to get people back home celebrating Xmas and New Year back. Home safe let's face it it's only 12 hour period two days of the year.

Reply Posted by nuffsaid on Thursday January 2 2014 at 19:58
the law`states that to pay or except a fare or wage to or from an unlawfull or unregistered taxi or any unregistered transport is illegal but theres nothing in the law that states it is unlawfull to give gratuitys towards fuels costs ie petrol and soforth so long as the driver of the said transport is not acting as an unregistered driver

Reply Posted by bolloxs on Thursday January 2 2014 at 21:11
I don't see anything wrong wi givin ur mate a tenner or so for a lift to town there car there petrol am using don't see problem n if some idiot is goin to get in a car wi some they don't no there daft n puttin themselves at risk went out myself for new year thirty pound it's was goin to cost to get home n the Que was horrendous n I did fone some one to come pick me up n I did offer money but he owed me money so we was quits but still don't see problem

Reply Posted by Peter Holmes on Thursday January 2 2014 at 21:15
To Mark Cocks - my aim from the start was to put the facts right - simple. £18,000 for a fleet policy is totally different to one man paying that much - a fleet policy can cover any number of vehicles - this is just another case of the press whipping up a frenzy amongst local people. The initial headline grabber clearly states different.

The truth of the matter is simple - people haven't got as much money as they had two or three years ago when most taxis were genuinely busy most weekends of the year and pulled out with it over Xmas. The general public have had enough and to be honest double fare or fare and a half is no longer acceptable. Mark my words, no pun intended, we took the decision four years ago to go to normal fare plus £2 and if we hadn't we'd have lost an awful lot of work, if not all of it. Now all the major companies in Sheffield do it. I can even see a time when it's just normal time being charged.

The taxi industry is littered with customers horror stories but equally the drivers could tell you all many a tale of customers being overly aggressive and just downright rude, so it's not a case of me coming on here to have a 'pop' at you personally Mark and Barnsley taxis in general.

Maybe this a move with the times 'wake-up call' for the taxi trade in Barnsley. 2014 will be tough for us all in the taxi trade but if you don't move with the times then you will get left behind and stagnate.

Reply Posted by James on Thursday January 2 2014 at 21:31
Here here Peter-- That is the point most people on here are trying to get through to Mr Cocks..Greed genuinely comes back to bite you. Some Fares were £25 when normally £8 - £10 .. complete theft. I pointed out that a local shop keeper opens all over xmas . If he put his prices up x2 or x3 there would be riots,Alot of people work over xmas not just the Taxis..£2 ON TOP is a fair reflection and people would be more happy to also tip the driver but at barnsleys fares I never tip them at xmas as the prices are scandoulous..

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday January 2 2014 at 21:21
Taxi drivers have no defence of there crap if a friend or some one you know offers you a lift for what ever favour they is no offence.

Yes if you go in a cab driven by post man pat then that's not could for your health and common sense will prevail however after reading some comments from females on allegedly licence drivers on sexual things allegedly said and previously proven in a court of all they be safer on a skateboard

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday January 2 2014 at 21:33
@Peter Holmes perhaps there is a gap in Jurassic Park Barnsley for you.it appears Mr cocks could have had a gobble of the dinosaurs.

Reply Posted by j on Friday January 3 2014 at 03:01
i can understand folk not wanting ripping off but its the council what state the tarriffs to be charged not the drivers as far as private hire public hire drivers having sexual prosecutions on thier police records what a load of bollox the council wouldt allow it they even suspend drivers with over 6 points on their licence i for one a few years ago rescued a young girl from out of a bogus taxi and when arrested the driver was found to have hammers rope duck tape and other stuff in his boot hed already assaulted the girl at the side of the road god knows what would have happend to her as for the driver he got 6 years for attempted abduction

Reply Posted by kim on Friday January 3 2014 at 16:14
One of these so called safe taxis scammed money out of an elderly family member of mine. If she would of asked me that wouldn't have happened to her.... So can you blame people?

Reply Posted by Callum on Friday January 3 2014 at 16:42
The only time I'll ever get in a taxi again is if they have a dial saying what the price is. Paid £4.50 for one and the women driver was decent. Next day same journey work in town to home was charged £8.50. Was always 10mph over the speed limit and sped up to get through lights just because they were about to turn to red. When I questioned it all I got was well I got you home in 5 mins isn't it worth it?

Reply Posted by Shaun Malpass on Friday January 3 2014 at 16:44
If you were charge 14 pound for a mile then your an idiot or a lier .cause you didnt use a hackney and i can prove it

Reply Posted by Jim on Friday January 3 2014 at 16:51
Lets just get to the point shal we taxi drivers a just pissed off because people are not putting up with over priced taxis eanymore. I say leave them too it its something your not going to stop. I suggest u charge reasonable prices or lose all your custom.

Reply Posted by Shaun Malpass on Friday January 3 2014 at 18:15
Wat a shame you all sound like bitches . Just like to moan . I think that the goverment should stop paying , smack rats alcos and scroungers that are costing the workinf man with taxes

Reply Posted by nerd above^^^^ on Friday January 3 2014 at 18:20
Its them lot who keep you in business, Moaning pig.

Reply Posted by m on Friday January 3 2014 at 18:22
I dont think anyone is getting the point mark is trying to make, im sure what he is sayingis that people are doing this all year round not just at christmas, people on benefits, i can believe, and as such, are just not taking trade from licensed taxis, but robbing from me and you as tax payers, i for one hope that any sort of enforcement catches a few if not all of them. Thats how i read it!!!

Reply Posted by milzi on Saturday January 4 2014 at 02:47
Am all for pirate taxis its only illegal if ya get caught getting paid hahahahahahahahahahahaha to all robbing taxi drivers out there take from rich and give to poor like robin hood

Reply Posted by me on Saturday January 4 2014 at 12:26
shaun malpass I paid £14 boxing day. im not an idiot. I wanted to get home due to a incident at home. so I was robbed twice that day. once at home and once by you lot that rely on the Barnsley public all year round. I can also remember you being an idiot darn the pit. I should imagine you still are 1.

Reply Posted by lauren on Sunday January 5 2014 at 19:01
Not goin to be able to stop um so what does it matter

Reply Posted by Eddie grant on Sunday January 5 2014 at 20:11
We'll cocksy way I see it it's all your bigger taxi ranks givin it biggn with dilly prices you have fetched it all on yourselves son deal with it store your nuts till winter looks like skegvegas from now on on then done it )))))))))

Reply Posted by craig on Sunday January 5 2014 at 20:11
Am i missing something..... theres a difference between giving a mate a lift and charging somebody you dont know for a lift for personal gain???? Cant afford a taxi or have no sober mates for a genuine lift.... stay the **** at home

Reply Posted by anon on Sunday January 5 2014 at 20:17
problem with hackney carriages in barnsley mr cox is that they fuking own the town and are so big headed no one wants to use them unless they have to i once dropped my daughter and her friends of in town and within 2 minutes was surrounded by hackney cars asking what i was up to well ill tell u what i told them **** of and mind ye own business ye all a set of nasty *****

Reply Posted by Ricky r on Sunday January 5 2014 at 20:45
The point is a few years ago a young lady was raped and she said she got a taxi home so they went straight to taxi rank and checked all the cars and drivers and in the end it turned out to be an unlicenced taxi now just a question for every1 man would you likd to be acctsed of rape cs of an idiots greed

Reply Posted by me on Sunday January 5 2014 at 20:49
Aimee poison at itagain

Reply Posted by Dave row on Sunday January 5 2014 at 20:55
Well that's rubbish as you employ foreigners poles n job lot you should be ashamed of your prices and employees it's fact who cares about liability ?? You could walk down street get it with a ridge tile come on get a grip good luck to youngs should need a few quid least there not skanking folk look abit closer to home for ya cry rape I could mention a phew licenced taxi firms accused a rape bad accusation though ya no !!!!!!

Reply Posted by Teter on Sunday January 5 2014 at 21:02
Plenty of misguided people on here ,how do you put more cars on . Drivers are finishing at 4 or 5 in the morning picking up the stop outs . I'd like to see anybody who doesn't get a shift allowance who works in the community or retail when Xmas comes around .rock and roll and pay the taxi fare ,Nuff said !!

Reply Posted by g on Monday January 6 2014 at 16:56
ive always used black and whites every fri and sat have done for yrs never had a prob know all but a handfull of drivers personally they know where am going they know they always get a £2 tip and look after me as for increased fares at christmas they are working whilst your drinking and lounging about and dont blame taxi lads council autherise it and same again with pirate taxis lads know who they are but council dont do ought so if somebody comes unstuck with a pirate i think they could have a claim on council as for rip offs nobody is worse than blueline theyle leave a pre booked fare and pick up a better fare and then blame you for not been there and the aragant controller woman will back em as for the parents that pick up there kids and there mates your should be crb checked to carry other peoples kids

Reply Posted by h on Monday January 6 2014 at 17:26
some of the young females are so hammered they wouldnt know difference between a taxi ordinary car or a camel pulling up and most are wearing next to nothing some even walk home so the taxi marshalls try to get em in to proper taxis but i do think there should also be a bit more police precence at ranks instead of propping wall up at peel street toilets waiting for youngens on scooters so if they thinks somebody looks vunreble they can log details of cab lot of lads i use have cctv installed for passenger and driver safety

Reply Posted by Steve on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 06:38
I've been a taxi driver for 22 years, and after reading this lot on here , I have to say I've never read as much bullshit in my life , from people who have no idea what they are talking about at all,
On the matter of the fares over Xmas ,I do agree with the public , double time is over the top today people cannot afford it in this climate, I think a premium of some sort may be easier to swallow , but let me point out that the owners of the larger firms in barnsley don't this easy they charge the drivers silly money to run the cars over Xmas and new year,
To the idiots who think there are sex offenders driving taxis , let me tell you this absolute rubbish every driver with a taxi badge is CRB checked, and nobody with serious offences of that nature gets a badge, as one person has pointed out on here drivers are being taken of the road for having 6 points on there licence.
Now then on the subject of bogus taxis, this has been going on for the full 22 years I've been driving, and I'm sure this carry on for the next 22 aswell, but the facts are it is illegal and these drivers are not insured they are not CRB checked either so you are taking a chance, but people do, and it is true that the police have catch them taking money to do anything about it, but the flip side is if you were in a serious accident in one of these bogus cars and you were off work with injury or could never work again through serious injury, the driver may get a short jail term,
You would get nothing, for what a couple of quid, think about it,