Promising Figures Reveal Lowest Level Of Claimants In Five Years

Tuesday January 7 2014

THE number of people claiming jobseekers' allowance in Barnsley has fallen to its lowest level in five years.

There were 5,883 claimants in November according to the latest monthly figures. The figure represents four per cent of the working-age population.

It was the ninth consecutive monthly fall, and is the lowest since December 2008 when the UK economy was about to enter recession.

Leader of the council Sir Steve Houghton said it was excellent news because the number of people on other benefits was also falling and it meant a genuine growth in jobs.

"Sometimes the figures have gone down because they've gone onto other schemes, or other benefits," he added.

"With this we know where these people are going. Our businesses are growing.

"The vast majority of these people coming off JSA are going into work.

"It's obviously great for them, and their families, but for the whole town as well because the only way we can bring prosperity to Barnsley is by getting more people into work."

In December 2008 there were about 5,500 people on jobseekers' allowance. Within three months it rocketed by 2,000 to about 7,500 where it roughly hovered for about a year.

There have been many fluctuations since but it hit a high in February this year at just over 8,000.

That had been the highest since the latter days of John Major's government in August 1996.

However, it has fallen every month since February.

Reply Posted by Jay on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 15:48
Lets hope it keeps coming down steadily, good luck to everyone looking for work.

Reply Posted by June on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 16:21
Lies, damn lies and statistics

Reply Posted by kev on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 16:26
Utter bullcrap. There is more claiming now then ever. People will have been send on courses. job schemes etc. Makes the figures look good. But all lies.

Reply Posted by Misty on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 16:41
Probably because people are being forced into part time work just to make the numbers look good!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 17:34
Where is the growth in jobs?
What businesses are growing?
"We can bring more prosperity to Barnsley by getting more people back into work"

?

You mean the Job Centre is mandated to shove anyone into any old job more like Houghton!
"OOH there are no targets for sanctioning peoples benefits"

WHAT AN UTTER LOAD OF CRAP, LIES LIES AND MORE LIES!

ALL this from a Labour council leader knighted by the Tories!

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 17:36
Well said Steveo!
Over to Ricardo!
See what he can pull out of his bonnet.

Reply Posted by Gill on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 18:14
Sick to death of them stopping my daughters allowance beacuse of some made up reason, the figures are a load of crock.

Reply Posted by piss take on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 09:47
Nowt to do wi jobs being available its more to do with cutbacks and sanctions. Throw a few off jsa and figures look better thats all it is manipulation of numbers. Throw a few figures out and people will believe anything. Theyve been doing it years

Reply Posted by Lol@anon&TheRest on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 18:58
The amount of folk who kiss STEVEO's arse on WAB is laughable and embarrassing.

Nothing but lap dogs.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 19:21
That's not fair saying that I'm taking my ball home. Grow up Dickhead. It's a forum not bleeding Girl Guides.

Reply Posted by Lol@Kfc on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 19:27
Insulted by someone called Kfc. How am I going to sleep tonight. I feel like chicken tonight.

Reply Posted by Deano on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 20:42
UKIP is the new working class party!! Labour are the most rancid cancerous example of what is wrong with GB today! Tories are just as bad!!!! Houghton needs outing!!!!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:43
Don't think so!
UKIP have even more radical plans to privatise the NHS.

Look at their policies first before deciding where to cast your vote.

Reply Posted by Karen on Thursday January 9 2014 at 09:14
You are taking the micky... Figures have dropped because peoples money has been stopped !!!!!! I know, My money has been stopped and I live on just £84 per 4 weeks, Disability Living Allowance...
Stop trying to make out things are getting better because THEY ARE NOT !!!

Reply Posted by Fawkes on Saturday January 11 2014 at 16:12
We need people on the streets like in greece .We British just take it and do nothing but moan .

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 15:39
And what's wrong with the job centre putting people into any job? Surely just for personal pride, it's better to have a job than to remain on benefits? Unless of course these people are too lazy to actually do a job and use the age old excuse of waiting for the perfect job to come along at the right salary BEFORE they are prepared to get out of bed!!

Long term unemployed should be made to work no matter what job it is (within reason) courses are a good thing, reducing people claiming benefit is a good thing.

Reply Posted by dick above^^^^^ on Sunday January 12 2014 at 15:50
That is so easy to say when you are in a job that you like with good wages, you inconsiderate moron..Why do you work as ASOS or other shit firms and then see what you think..All people ask is for A DECENT WAGE FOR A DECENT WEEKS WORK..

Reply Posted by SOZ on Sunday January 12 2014 at 15:52
WHY DONT YOU TRY AND WORK AT ASOS

Reply Posted by Mandy on Sunday January 12 2014 at 16:01
@ Well said above - Grow a backbone Richard. You need to run for Tory Government. Get us all on Zero contracts with no prospects and no money to feed the family or have a roof over our heads..You Tories would love that..

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 18:33
You are a right dipstick Richard (Dicky)

I have worked up until 6 Months ago. I was made redundant after 20 yrs service.

I would rather starve then work at some of these shit paid work houses.

I am not scared of hard work but don't agree with having to take any job you are offered.

Would you Richard work at one of these companies that treat you like a piece of dirt and make your life hell ?

People would actually become slaves , because if you do want to work on your days off you would end up been sacked.

Go back to your cushy warm home and read your financial times has you look down on the lower class people..

Richard you are a disgrace to human nature and get your head out of your TORY arse and FIGHT for our Country to abolish agency work and Zero contract hours,

Lets cut back on immigration and them who want to work that's ok. them who don.t and criminal send them back.

This country is on its knees without our own people making perfectic statements. That is best left to the Politicians has there are doing a good job at causing problems between workers and the unemployed.

I am all for people working, but lets work for Money and not peanuts.

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 15:45
Right now, other parts of the country is subsidising Barnsley, whereas it should be self sufficient. All folk want to do it seems is spout about how there's no work etc, yet when work becomes available they moan about foreigners taking jobs. It's utter nonsense.

I made opportunity for myself and had the same opportunity as most people. I wasn't an over privileged toff born with a silver spoon in my mouth, yet I worked hard. That's what appears to be lacking nowadays, that and the desire to learn and be properly educated. It's just plain lazy.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:40
Howdo Rich, been a while...

Again I refer you to my favourite topic ASOS....

51% Eastern European immigrant workers on "annualised" hours
49% "local" people on "annualised" hours

Latest figures are 9,700 people through the doors @ ASOS 679 People last year / 2013

ASOS have just announced a MASSIVE jump in profits to £40 MILLION for the 2012/2013 Tax Year on sales of £1 BILLION, Making them the biggest online fashion retailer in the WORLD..

All while their workers have to endure the paltry agency wages and constant risk of losing their agency job.
Don't think for one minute that they are better off once they have been set on with ASOS on a permanent basis, they STILL have to work annualised hours.

Said this before and I will say it again, the sooner the "hire and fire" agencies and the zero hours / annualised hours contracts are banned the better and a better world of work it would be for the people in our town.

ASOS have just announced a massive expansion program, do you think this will be good news for the local populous?
Don't think so do you?

Again, the minimum wage needs to be a more realistic £8.50 - £10+ an hour, not only would that give the ASOS workers (and others) a better standard of living it would undoubtedly stimulate the local economy.

AND would take people out of the Tax Credit "trap" saving our nation BILLIONS.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 21:02
Steveo,I thoroughly agree with your post, apart from the minimum wage being £10 per hour. I have two young guys working for me and they are still in training,so are really not earning their keep never mind any profit. If they were on the £10 per hour rate,I'm afraid I would have to lose one. To be honest,my staff are all treasured( not an exaggeration) and it would hurt like hell to lose a great young trainee. I have put a lot of effort into their training. They are both on more than the current minimum wage by the way. So there may have to be some tweaking on your minimum wage of £10 PR hour. Its a tough one.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 21:24
I agree in principle Sid but we HAVE to have a "living" wage, even £8.50 an hour only equates to £17,680 P.A or roughly around £280 - £295 a week after tax, it HAS to be much better than the minimum wage of £6.31 an hour or £215+ a week or £13,124 P.A

£215 a week is NOT a living wage for people with families and that is why people HAVE to claim tax credits to top up their wages.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 21:30
Take your point STEVEO. Neither trainees have a family to support or mortgages. Like I say,some tweaking to be done.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 21:36
I never said I was perfect Sid, just have more common sense than some of the buffoons that post on here.
My philosophy is if you do a good days graft day in day out year in year out then you should expect to be rewarded with decent wages.

Our company have just offered us a 4% "no strings" pay rise and in these austere times we snapped their hands off.

If a company is doing well (like ours) then the profits should be shared with their employees after all is said and done it is the employees that create the wealth for the company and not the fat cats at the top.

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 18:51
@ Harry Jones, you'd rather starve than do any kind of work? Are you alright in the head?

There are people out there who would work 3 cleaning jobs just to ensure they keep a roof over their families heads. That is called pride.

Seems there is no pride left anymore. It's so much easier to sit back and claim benefits isn't it?

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:02
You never answered the questions.

Cleaning Jobs were not mentioned in my Post.

I never stated it was better to sit back and claim benefits.

I stated the Country needs a radical change, Not make people work at these Large turn over of staff slave hell holes.Were you would be sacked for not working overtime or on your days off.

What are you trying to say? all cleaners are beneath you?

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:04
I also stated I am all for people working. Typical Tory putting words in our mouths.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:42
Yes radical change is most definitely needed, don't think for one minute things will EVER change whilst ever we have the current crop of political parties to choose from.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 18:58
Well I have to agree with Richard with regards to the above post.
I must say though,the Zero contracts and all that goes with it is a disgrace to human rights in my opinion.
It should be made illegal.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:45
Zero Hours contracts and agencies should be banned with IMMEDIATE EFFECT!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:04
Richard you really don't get it do you. People want to work and people like Harry Jones has paid in to the systemn.

Harry does not want state handouts from anyone he wants the right to do a days work for a fair days pay. Whats wrong with that.???????????

Zero contract hours and job Agency are a disgrace. Our family's of previous generations fought hard for the working class to have a basis standard of living and give there families a holiday and some nice things in life called treats.

All political parties think we owe them something it's the Political Parties that's allowed the banks to rip us off and it's the working class and the poorer members of society that are paying the price.

The 10% are getting richer and only this weeks the banks have been rumbled for back door way of STILL paying bonuses to failing banks.

The truth is the majority of people only want to work for a living wage and to feed there families every week.

Most people don't give two hucks about politics.

I will tell you one thing during these difficult times the working class have woke up to the thieving lying. cheating politicians from local Councillors to MPs of all political.parties.

Yes times are hard for the poorer members of society and we no which b@stards are robbing us.

Richard you are a typical I'm alright Jack you should be very proud of you self.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:46
Totally agree KFC
Zero Hours contracts and agencies should be banned with IMMEDIATE EFFECT.
Minimum wage should be at least £8.50 - £10+ an HOUR!

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:07
What's more expensive for our economy? Immigrants coming here and working or home grown people living on benefits? I think I'd rather send the lazy folk away and keep the benefit pot for those most in NEED!

To answer one of your questions...would I work at one of those places? If I had to and it was a choice between starving and eating, then YES I would. Its not luck that I am not in that position. It's called hard work and applying myself to ensure I can afford to live and eat.

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:22
Richard you are a complete idiot.. I have worked from leaving college in a skilled job for 20 years,well paid and worked hard. I Just have respect for the young generation and there need help/guidance to lead them to be able to work for Money Not peanuts. A lot of them are beyond help but please give the few genuine young ones credit and by forcing them to work anywhere is degrading and the country would be in a worser mess..The companies will be driven by more greed and treat the staff like slaves with no chance to prosper in the job..

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:30
@Harry you are 100% spot on people just want to work.The Country is bankrupt and the Tories Know it. They is not one Political party that today represents today's working class,

Our country as nothing to offer the Capitalists are draining us dry. This country has had its best years to offer.I always said we would see a Civil War in this Country. I also used to say not in my lifetime.

I've changed my mind god bless us all the Volcano is erupting.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:20
Immigrants are a drain on our society UNDER THE CURRENT rules that apply.

They can come and claim Benefits in three months only just changed up to last month they can clim from day one as soon as they get of the boats or plane.

From day one they get free NHS treatment remember a lot come just to get free health care.

From day one they get free education for there children. They become priority for social housing if they have children. As the describe them selves as homeless or say they are sleeping on a friends bedroom floor and one has to sleep in a bath.

They also can claim child Benefit for their. Children living back home in there own countries.

Yes they will work for less per hour. They can claim Working Tax Credits which tops there wages up to and in some cases above the minimum working wage.

So they are not working for less in fact are they.

And all the Political Parties today are running around like headless chickens trying to push through parliament a bill that will allow immigrants. To have to wait TWO years for benifits.

They are shitting themselves because UKIP my not be the best Political Party to run the country But it's the only party the Working Class's Elderly. Disabled and Sick people have it's our only hope.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:48
You forgot to mention the £700 MILLION POUNDS that we send to depend children of migrant workers working here in the UK.

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:26
Aren't you going a bit off topic here?

It's about the increases in jobs and the reduction in people claiming job seekers allowance. That's a good thing!

My comments are aimed at the work shy and the chavs that enjoy sitting watching Jezza with a can of Special Brew waiting for their benefit to be paid!

I'm all for people getting work and improving their lives....as long as they are prepared to get off their backsides and work.

I often see excuse after excuse as to why people won't work and blaming everyone except themselves. I've more pride than that, so yes I can put myself above those that CHOOSE not to work. The lazy are a disgrace.

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:31
Surely you spoon fed Tory Richard can see this is all LIES LIES LIES.

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:33
@KFC hmmm how can you say the country is bankrupt? Is it? Is it really?

Silly person, you clearly have no idea.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:49
Richard do not call me silly you obnoxious silly little man

What I can tell you I live in the real world. Where people should be treated as individuals and only. Ask if they put something they get something out.

You truly have no respect for other people only your self. I don't have a problem with what you have or have not got in terms of belongings or goods.

One thing for sure you come into this life with nothing and you leave with nothing.

So go back into your world of Tory evil and one day you will meet your maker.

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:57
Here here Kfc @ Richard you may think you are a better class person then most people on WAB, But I would sooner Give help and advice to the younger generation,, You Richard would sooner the young ones all worked in a sweat shop for MIN WAGE with no prospects and no dignity.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:50
RICHARD the country ID bankrupt as the Tories have borrowed MORE money in three years than Labour did in 13!

The deficit has NOT been cut, the Deficit grows year on year under the Tories despite the "austerity measures"!!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday January 12 2014 at 19:38
@ Richard they will never be a increase in jobs when employers are forcing people to work longer hours for no more pay.

People feel obliged to work these extra hours because they feel if they don't.do it. They will be the next to go.

People should work to live not Live to Work.

Welcome to sweat shop Britain. coming to a at area need you Richard. Tory Boy.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 20:01
I'm going into that Anderson shelter!
There's shrapnel flying.
Good luck Harry, I hope you find decent employment!

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 20:10
@kfc if you don't want to be called silly, then best do some proper research before spouting our country is "bankrupt".....I mean seriously! This real world you mention....does it have a strange hypnotic aroma?

I'm guessing you're a Labour voter....it's the usual style to start name calling when the argument is too weak.....just like yours is.

If you read my comments you will see where my points are directed. If you disagree with me, then clearly you think it's ok for dole dossers to carry on claiming for as long as they want and after a year or more still have the ability to turn down work (at minimum wage or not).

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:51
RICHARD the country IS bankrupt as the Tories have borrowed MORE money in three years than Labour did in 13!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday January 12 2014 at 20:26
@Richard first of all I'm not a Labour Voter. Second it was you that started as you call it name calling.

I'm not sure who you refer to Dole Dossiers. If you are referring to people that's out of work then that will explain your attitude to people less fortunate than yourself.

Tomorrow you yourself may find your self unemployed to to illness or a sudden change in your life or if your love one needs 24/7 help.

The majority of people out of work wants to work. For a fair days work for a fair days pay.

I don't want to get into long term posts with you. You make me sick with your Tory views and your self opinionated attitude to people less fortunate than your self.

Your are a typical right wing voter all mouth and no constructive ideas to resolve the situation people find themselves in.

Be careful for what you wish for a Richard.

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 20:38
It's very refreshing to see you're not voting for the very folk that got us into this terrible mess.

I never said all unemployed people are dole dossers, that has become your misguided opinion. I think we can all recognise where the real problems are and that's the long term unemployed CHOOSING to sit comfortably at home and let's not kid ourselves that there aren't a heck of a lot of those in Barnsley!

Another thing, I'm not a Tory and my vote will not be for Tory.

If you want to feel sick because someone states they work hard and have self respect and would prefer to do that over being on benefits, then clearly that's a matter for you.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:52

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday January 12 2014 at 20:45
You are very good at getting YOUR SELF OPINION over.

What I don't see you answering people's points of view or constructive questions that require a reply on WAB.

WAB is about debates and constructive conversations all I read of you is Me Me Me.

Typical of a Tory Voter in Denial.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:52
Kfc Richard is a Lib Dem voter.....

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 20:49
A Tory voter in denial? Nah I'm true to myself.

All you read of me is me me me? I hardly ever talk of myself. Are you reading my posts at all?

I don't answer questions? I immediately answered a question on this thread.

Next.........

Reply Posted by Kfc on Sunday January 12 2014 at 20:52
Your good Richard but not that good.

Reply Posted by Warrior on Sunday January 12 2014 at 20:56
@KFc your wasting your time you've rumbled Richard leave him to STEVO he can rip stripes of him.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 21:09
A question for us all.
What can be done with the deliberate benefits claimants? The ones that have never and never will work? Try to send them to ASOS etc? They won't go. And why should any company employ them? They seem mostly to have loads of kids,so their money can't be stopped or indeed be so low that the children suffer any more than some of them will be. I for one can see no answer. Some big brained person in power needs to sort this out and somehow make sure our own workforce are employed. There seems to be too many happy to be on benefits,thus making huge gaps within our workforce making immigration grow. The zero contracts need abolishing, real jobs put in place...but then still,what about those that will not work?

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 21:20
Not to sure Sid there is anything that could be done to the people who won't work. There will and always be around when we are long gone. But plans could be put in place for workers to be paid a decent wage. Get rid of the Agencies and Zero contracts for a start.. Bills always going up and the rent on council homes going up £4 weekly. But wages are not..Only the rich get pay rises.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 21:41
It's a good start harry. I worry though that it seems difficult to get off benefits once on them. I hear the agencies prefer to put immigrants in work for one reason or another. The longer a person is out of work, his prospect of finding decent employment diminishes. The government need to start governing! The country needs real, well paid jobs,and these do not exist at ASOS etc. I can see opportunities for the young though,have you tried to get a plumber/electrician/joiner recently? I have no knowledge of training courses, I assume they are far and few between. I feel the country is lacking leadership as far as employment goes.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:56
Scrap the agencies and zero hours contracts
minimum wage should be at least £8.50- £10+ an hour for starters
Bring back PROPER apprenticeships

to name but a few, then and only then the people of our town may actually have a chance

Reply Posted by @ warrior on Sunday January 12 2014 at 21:36
@warrior - Are you a child? Or just a brown noser?

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 21:49
Did I hear where you are coming from. The problem is very much a local problem. The lack of leadership is local leadership. Barnsley do not have a strong structure that is obvious when looking at how the council has been run all these years, but largely the people do also need to help themselves and move away from blame culture, and reliance on benefits. You only have to take 5 steps through town before you see an unpleasant sight. It's not exactly a town that makes you feel proud.

It can change, but people need to be pushed into work if they are not showing signs of taking opportunities.

Minimum wage is there to protect the employed. People cannot legally be forced to work for free or for less than minimum wage. If they are being made to work, then the employer can be held to account.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 22:18
Oh and BTW Richard, Barnsley is no worse than any other town,look around you when you're out and about. There are many far far worse places. I will say it needs money spending on the town centre, I will admit I don't visit so oft. My shopping needs are not met in Barnsley,but I always use local labour for jobs needed. Hopefully,things are changing,the museums a bonus, (the nit combs, a travesty) fingers crossed we are seeing changes though.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:57
I agree Sid, You been to Blackburn recently?
Barnsley is Beverly Hills in comparison to Blackburn!

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 22:08
Well Richard,its not just a local problem,its a nationwide problem, so We can't really put the blame squarely on to the council.
I agree that many people have lost their self respect,but again that's nationwide.
I'm not sure how you can push anyone into work. Like I said how?

The minimum wage has been a good thing for this area,but to me the zero contracts have crossed the line. It just makes it impossible to get a mortgage and even taking holidays are difficult. In fact, while working on zero contracts I should imagine your life would be on hold. It should be abolished.

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 22:48
Sid, I don't have all the answers, but I do know people regardless of their background ALL have a natural instinct to survive. If their benefits were cut, then they would be forced to act and do whatever it takes to feed themselves and their families. Jobs are out there to give people a foot on the ladder. If it was me and I was desperate I would take a zero hours contract job (if it's all there was) just to give me some money to work towards something better. I'm not saying zero hours is a good thing, but it is SOMETHING better than nothing and certainly better than sponging off the state benefits.

Back to work Tax Credits are designed to encourage folk to work and I believe giving someone extra money to get them started is beneficial and gives them a taste for earning money rather than living on less (benefits).

Apprenticeships and courses are available for people to train or retrain. Individuals need self belief to strive for better. I had to, so I'm talking from experience.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday January 15 2014 at 20:58
Tax credits - An indirect way of paying employers to employ people!

Scrap the tax credits and up the minimum wage !

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:00
You can not support a family and run a home on ZERO hrs. Richard it may put food in your belly but what about a roof over your head, FACTS

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:06
Well Harry, perhaps everyone that's on benefits should stay on benefits then and let EVERYONE else support their families and put a roof over their heads.....I mean that's what's happening now isn't it?!!!

Zero hours is at least a job. It's not a handout, it's a job. FACT

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:12
Your missing the point Richard- If you have a home with a family ZERO hrs will not pay the bills. It is not a JOB working 1 day a week. The rich also love the MINIMUM WAGE and IMMIGRANTS has there get cheap labour. FACT

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:22
Harry,you are right,1 days work or the uncertainty of work is wrong. God knows how people cope with that carry on. Its wrong.
There are the jobs there,but not the contracts,it needs stopping. I thought Cameron was against it? Lies I suppose. He seemed OK when he visited evidently. He has let folk down badly.

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:29
Sid - We have over 500.000 migrants not working claiming benefits. Over 27.750 in Prison..A drain on our overcrowded Country.. Again the Minimum wage is good for the Migrants but also puts British workers wages down..

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:15
Richard, I agree with all of that,but the long term benefits folk can't get passed the agencies, so the first step on the ladder is often not there.
I too would take a zero contract if I needed to to help me along the way. The problem is,these jobs are becoming more common place and to me,the government needs to put an end to them now. They will destroy our society,I truly believe that. I don't think its easy these days for the long term benefits folk,so morally where children are involved they will need help. I must say though I do know of folk having more children for the money,and it seems this is being looked at for future claimants. My parents spent benefits on booze/cigs and gambling,they had no shame,and I am still no wiser how folk can be forced to spend the gift of benefit money wisely and properly. This thankfully is a small proportion of claimants, but its a hard road to travel after redundancy I should think. I can think of nothing worse than losing your job. Let's hope things start to change.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:28
Well we do all agree that the zero hours contract is unworkable for our society, we just need to remind Cameron.
And again Harry, I hope you find decent employment in the very near future, my heart goes out to you. It truly does,20 yrs is a long time.

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:32
I am hoping to start my own Business in the near Future..Just finalising the business plan and Putting wheels in motion and ready to go soon..

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:38
Well hats off to you Harry. I wish you success. Can you state what kind of business? Either way, that's fantastic,and if you don't get if off the ground first try,you will do it I'm sure. I speak from experience. Great news, your 20 years will have stood you in good stead.

Reply Posted by Harry jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:48
When I found out I was losing my Job after 20 years service ,I studied a lot in the internet world and will be opening an internet site up very shortly. I worked as a purchaser/buyer for a large company so hopefully that will put me in good stead.. got a lot of contacts through my old job and looking forward to been my own boss..Just in the process of designer my web page and already got a lot of interest from the advertising and homework I have done.. fingers crossed.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:56
That's great, you never know our paths unknowingly, may cross.
Made my night that has, the posting has all felt quite negative,and then there it is,a ray of light. Sod them all,you work with what you have. Good luck!

Reply Posted by Harry Jones on Sunday January 12 2014 at 23:58