Firefighters Set To Strike

Monday December 23 2013

FIREFIGHTERS are to walk out on strike on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve.

The Fire Brigades Union has announced its members will walk out between 7pm and midnight on Christmas Eve, and between 6.30pm and 12.30am on New Year’s Eve into New Year’s Day.

Firefighters have been taking days of industrial action since September in response to proposed changes to pensions and their retirement age.

The FBU argues the changes threaten older firefighters with losing their jobs, working beyond their physical fitness, or having reduced pensions.

South Yorkshire's chief fire officer Jamie Courtney is urging residents to celebrate the festive season safely in light of the new firefighter strike dates.

There are fears people distracted by Christmas and New Year celebrations will forget home safety precautions, including keeping an eye on their cooking, especially after drinking more alcohol than they might usually.

Mr Courtney said: "Cooking is still the biggest cause of house fires, so with these two strike periods both falling on festive dates, all that we’re asking is that people are sensible and take extra care in the kitchen.

"Don’t leave cooking unattended and don’t attempt to cook if you're under the influence of alcohol.

"Our emergency response service will be significantly reduced during the strike period.

"If you do discover a fire don’t attempt to tackle it yourself - get out, stay out and still call 999."

Fire chiefs have recruited a team of contingency firefighters to be on hand to cover emergencies during the strikes.

Reply Posted by Sharon on Monday December 23 2013 at 10:44
Grow up !!! and thank your lucky star's you dont work for the NHS !!!!!!!!,

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday December 23 2013 at 10:56
They risk there lives on a daily basis runnin into burnin buildins they do right. don't think it's a good idea strikin on crimbo eve n news years eve as they are typically when accidents happen fowk too drunk n workin for the nhs is very hard aswell but if u were goin to lose ur job u would fight for what's right u should be supporting them seen as u work closely together

Reply Posted by cvfg on Monday December 23 2013 at 11:08
Wish ppl would think about the fire fighters in this and not themselves! They do an absolutely fantastic job. N we ALL should be supporting this action. y should they not get a pay rise they risk their lives day in day out knowing that the next call could end their life. N as 4 putting the retirement age up how on earth is a 65 yr old going to compete with the fitness of say a 25 yr old! Y shoud they have their pension cut due to the government raising the age of retirement. This is no fault of the fire fighters n it stinks! Just imageine your trapped in a collapsed burning building which would u rather have a fit young abled person or a elder person that cannot get to u as quick due to no fault of their own! This is such a stupid idea by the government. The first fatality n then you will all be in outrage with the government. Good luck on your strike I for one back u every step of the way

Reply Posted by j on Monday December 23 2013 at 11:42
They are fighting for their rights!! Good on you - we take emergency services so much for granted, we should value the jobs they do and pay them accordingly and honour their pensions etc. They do a specialised job which the majority of us would not even think about doing. Look at the obscene amounts paid to footballers and so called celebrities - I know who I'd want to come save me!!!! Full credit to the emergency services and shame on those who don't support them!!

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday December 23 2013 at 11:47
I would run in a burning building every day of the week to save someones life. for nothing ,if they don't like it, find another job. pure greed. come on mr fireman swap me. minimum wage till im 68.

Reply Posted by PEEL on Monday December 23 2013 at 11:51
Minimum wage for you bananas because you sould have learned at school you thick prick!

Reply Posted by Tommyh on Monday December 23 2013 at 12:44
Bananas you'd run in then be overcome by smoke inhalation and require rescuing by a firefighter!
Good on em it's a job for young fit people not 60 year olds
Whilst ever un fit 60 year olds are doing a job they are no longer 100%fit to do it's keeping the young fit future firefighters out of a job too!
Horses for courses!!!!

Reply Posted by bananas on Monday December 23 2013 at 13:01
finish em at 50, mek am get another job like rest on us, and bring youngens in.peel ad let you burn stupid ****.

Reply Posted by PEEL on Monday December 23 2013 at 13:06
you talk $ullshit bananas..education would have helped you.Sounds like sour grapes to me..You are the loser and the firefighters do a brill job,,stop been jealous and try and better yourself,,you chocolate fireguard..

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday December 23 2013 at 13:11
U do it for free I think not

Reply Posted by Dawn on Monday December 23 2013 at 13:26
If the government want to save some money they ought to have less MPs with lower wages and less perks would save the country billions.

Reply Posted by Dawn on Monday December 23 2013 at 13:28
oh and tougher immigration controls .... neither fire fighters, NHS staff or education should be targeted its outragious

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Monday December 23 2013 at 14:29
Best of luck to the members of the FBU and merry xmas.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday December 23 2013 at 14:30
What's immigration got to do wi stickin up for firefighters n helpin them claim what's rightfully theirs

Reply Posted by hally1297 on Monday December 23 2013 at 17:57
In the main I disagree with any of the Emergency Services having the right to strike. However the proposals put forward ie working until 65 is scandalous. At this age a Fire fighter with 30yrs plus service will no doubt be carrying long term wear and tear injuries that render him/her incapable of carrying out their duties to the best of their ability. i would rather be rescued from a fire by a fully trained Firefighter than as we had 10 pus years ago Army crews. Hope it gets sorted soon without further disruption

Reply Posted by Me on Monday December 23 2013 at 20:58
Good on you and I wish you all the luck you need to get what you deserve. I'm sure all the Police officers in the country are behind you in regards to getting the right to keep the pensions and retirement age you signed up for and wish they could strike alongside you. Time the Gov realised that you all signed up for a pension, pay contributions of up to 14% a month yet this could all be resolved if they just let current emergency services keep the pensions they signed up for. If changes are to be made it should be for new starters only. Unfortunately I can't see the Gov stopping changes as they would need to do the same for other emergency\ public sector jobs. Good Luck

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 06:05
@bananas if U would do it for free then go and volanteer all
Emergency services deserve higher pay

Reply Posted by bananas on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 06:53
give me a firemans job and I will give the fireman my factory job. 30 grand a year and retire early or 15 grand a year and retire at 68.

Reply Posted by s on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 09:21
Bananas, why should the GIVE you a firefighters job, u decided to work in a warehouse. stop been bitter and feelin sorry for yourself. No one gets GIVEN a firefighters job the have to work very hard to get in unlike a warehouse job

Reply Posted by observer on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 11:30
I've lived in Barnsley over 60 yrs and never seen an house on fire yet.??? We used to put our own fires out in the mines reckon firefighters have a relatively cushy job. It were mostly a part time job in the past, can always remember blokes dashing down Hoyland to the fire station when the alarm went off leaving their full time jobs to do it.

Reply Posted by Kate on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 13:39
I totally agree with them, the pay isn't enough for what they do!

Reply Posted by bananas on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 13:59
firemen do a fantastic job, like the rest of us do. if they don't like it pack up. let 1 of the 1000s who would love to do the job have it. I,m sure they wouldn't last 2 minutes working in a warehouse 12hrs shift with 2 arf hour breaks for the minimum wage.

Reply Posted by no way to bananas on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 14:11
You talk complete Bananas..If you want to be a fireman go train to be one.You work in a factory because you are not qualified to do any other job.Your choice you are in a shit job with shit wages,,some people try and make a go of life and some like you will always be at the bottom of the ladder because you are not trained to do anything else..Wake up and retrain and do something constructive with your life. Firemen and other top posts take years of hard training and dedication and when your training is finished and then you are a QUALIFIED fireman you then get rewarded with a job you love with a decent salary...

Reply Posted by An old paramedic on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 14:09
Well said Sharon
Wouldn't want a 60 year old fireman climbing ladders putting fires out
But happy for a 65 plus paramedic carrying you down stairs or pumping in your chest.
Fire service get to sleep at night in bed and hardly get called out during the night they get paid to exercise whilst most of us have to pay to join a gym

Reply Posted by s on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 14:56
House fires, u r not very bright if u think they only put house fires out, who do u think gets people out of cars when the cant get out and gives as much first aid as they can and who has to go to ancidents when people have decide to take there own lifes? They see more things u'll hopefully never see, if u can handle seein the things they do put y names down, I for 1 would'nt like t see it

Reply Posted by bananas on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 15:23
all I am saying is firemen do a great job like plenty of people in this country . finish them at 55, then bring some young blood into the service. then its dole or look 4 a job that will take them to 68 like rest of us av to. or do they want to retire to spain cos they are special.

Reply Posted by s on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 16:25
When u pay near £300 into a pension a mt u dont need t work to 68 yr old, try it it may help u to retire early too

Reply Posted by Me.... on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 16:31
The govt has raised age for state pension too, most final salary schemes (99%+) have had to cut pensions benefits as they r too expensive, people r living longer etc. Why do firemen think there any different?? My husband works on roofs everyday - do i think he can do that at 70?? No!! - he will have to get a different job to see him to retirement like they should too. Almost every working person who took a job with a final salary scheme has had those terms changed on them - public sector are laggong behind. No sympathy or support from me on this.

Reply Posted by ^ Its all about Me^^^^^ on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 16:37
Me@ Your Husband works on the Roofs..you must have a slate loose..silly comments. Firemen pay in and sould get out on the agreed terms there signed up to..

Reply Posted by Mick on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 16:39
Reply to S
I pay on average £280 into my pension I pay around £400 tax and another £200 NI
I will not be able to retire until 65 if I am lucky! I'm a NHS paramedic.
I also more death, illness and sights in a week that most won't see on a life time.
I love my job and it's very rewarding despite constant cuts by government and the constant slating from the public.
That said I would love to have the chance of retiring at 50 or even 60.
There's no cushy desk job waiting for me once I reach a certain age I will almost certainly retire working on the road still carting and lift the increasingly heavy patients.
Still having to perform CPR on oatibrs that need it, try doing that for 20 mins see hiw knackered you become, and then still being sharp and quick thinking enough to work drug doses out, drugs that in a hospital there are a team if nurses and doctors to check them I the road there's just me.
The front line fire service do a fantastic job must have two jobs on my days off I like my colleagues use these days off to rest not to work, drive past a ambulance station tonight the staff will be in and and and busy the fire station will be in darkness with the fire staff asleep in bed

Reply Posted by bananas on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 17:08
s..i paid into a good pit pension. but still have to work till im 68. so button it. like I say firemen do a fantastic job. so do millions more.

Reply Posted by s on Wednesday December 25 2013 at 16:23
A contract is a contract, if they av sighed a contract statein u retire after 30yrs that is what it should be, if u have a mortgage for 20yrs thats when the house is paid off, the cant just slap an extra 10yrs on cause the feel like it, so u button it bananas

Reply Posted by mum of three on Friday December 27 2013 at 19:50
Firemen deserve everything they get they have recently saved the lives of my very very dear friend and her family.
If it wasnt for them none of them would have been here for Christmas xx