Man Steals Booze After Day-Long Binge

Friday January 3 2014

Barnsley Magistrates' Court Barnsley Magistrates' Court

A MAN stole 24 cans of lager - after going on an all-day binge.

Robert Wilson, 26, of Cope Street, Worsbrough Common, drowned his sorrows because he couldn't see his children after splitting up with his partner.

Paul Macauley, prosecuting, said Wilson couldn't remember anything about the theft from Rhythm 'n' Booze on Racecommon Road.

Wilson, who admitted shoplifting, was given a 12-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £60 in costs, £23.94 in compensation and a £15 victim surcharge.

Reply Posted by ray on Friday January 3 2014 at 15:09
Now that's what i call an expensive crate of lager lol

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday January 3 2014 at 15:10
ONE THIRSTY MAN

Reply Posted by nic on Friday January 3 2014 at 15:17
So drinking 24 cans of lager was going to make his ex change her mind !!

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday January 3 2014 at 15:39
I think ad drown mi sorrows if I cudnt see mi kids at Christmas anorl not much ov a drinker like but Christmas is for family n puttin aside ur differences to look forward to the future

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 3 2014 at 16:14
Shoplifting again! Having a hard time at home/work/pub/marriage/kids????
Go out and shoplift. Like it ever helps. Time to get this sorted once and for all. There should be fixed penalties for shoplifting,and not a slap on the hand. No matter whatthe ccircumstances, the thieves would know the consequences. Just off the top of my head,it would start with hard labour for the first offence,then jail for further offences. 1year first,no wavering,then 2 years etc. A year extra for each offence. It sounds harsh and it may not be the answer,but it has got to be stopped somehow. Its not just the court/police/insurance etc costs,its the fact that most shoplifters then have a record and so are deemed unemployable. Like points on a driving license, the record could be clean after a period of time when the offender has proven themselves to be trustworthy. Just an idea?

Reply Posted by Barnsley lass on Friday January 3 2014 at 16:22
Yes boozing stealing that's a great way to show your kids you want to see & support them! This is probably why he was refused access in 1st place! Needs to grow up & take the consequences of binge drinking the moron!

Reply Posted by Tony on Friday January 3 2014 at 17:17
Former home secretary Willy Whitelaw had the right idea. The Short Sharp Shock. 3minth detention centers that wirked on military style regimes. They were very effective along with the 6 month to 2 year borstal training. Both these were replaced by the much softer Youth custody in the Mid 8Os. Not many who served time in these conditions went on to commit offences again, negating the need for harsh prison sentences when they became adults.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 3 2014 at 17:53
I agree Tony. Its got to stop.

Reply Posted by Me frumt tarn on Friday January 3 2014 at 17:19
Ye Sid, prison the answer. Cost us workers more money why dunt yer? Work at shop he stole from in community hours I think. Agree wi above, drinking wint get his kids back the loon.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday January 3 2014 at 17:40
@mefrom tarn, I said its just an idea. If they stole from me though,I wouldn't want them anywhere near me or my premises, I'd feel like slapping them silly wouldn't you?
Any more ideas?

Reply Posted by Barnsley Mafia on Friday January 3 2014 at 17:50
Like to bet a bet a pound or two this man hasn't got a job either, his partner does right stopping him seeing his children ,what sort of a parent would she be letting them see a theiving drunk, the costs ,compensation and victim surcharge is probably more than this guy has ever spent on his kids in the past.........All i can say is the kids will more than likely be better of without him in the long run.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday January 3 2014 at 17:51
I work in a shop,why should I av to work alongside thieving scum? I'm decent an hardworking, they arnt. Send em darn!

Reply Posted by Warrior on Friday January 3 2014 at 18:25
It's good but not just Carling.

Reply Posted by Guilty as Sin on Friday January 3 2014 at 18:28
Saddam Hussain had the right idea chop there hands off.

Reply Posted by compassion on Monday January 6 2014 at 08:59
Sid...when are you goin to take the. Golden shovel out of your big full of it trap.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday January 6 2014 at 10:02
Read the thread you plonker @compaspassion. I have been a victim of theft. Its nothing to do with compassion mate. I just don't want a thief "trying to mend their ways" around me and my staff. Would you be so compassionate if you got to work today and your gaffer introduced a new member of staff to work beside you,oh! And by the way watch your stuff he/she has a record for theft? Nar! Didn't think so. I'm very compassionate actually, but I do tend to lean toward zero tolerance for many things. Thieves know the stiff isn't Thiers...no blurred lines there is there? The golden shovel stays put!

Reply Posted by barnsleylass on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 21:08
Who do they think they are? What do they think gives them the right to steal? Its not theirs to take...

Reply Posted by BenefitSeeker on Wednesday January 8 2014 at 21:35
I watched 'Benefits Street' last night. Is this person the Fungi of Barnsley?

Reply Posted by Adele on Thursday January 9 2014 at 10:38
Is this really news? Shoplifting? With all the other serious crimes that go on........