Hospital's Maternity Services Given Thumbs Up

Thursday December 19 2013

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

BARNSLEY Hospital's maternity services have been rated highly, according to a new survey.

Patients were asked questions about three areas of care - labour and birth, staff, and care in hospital after the birth as part of the 2013 Maternity Services Survey, run by the Care Quality Commission.

Responses were received from 142 patients. The hospital was then scored out of 10 for each question.

The results show that patients rate the hospital particularly highly on aspects such as being given skin to skin contact with their baby shortly after birth (9.5 out of 10), and having their partner involved as much as they wanted (9.3 out of 10).

Overall, the hospital scored 8.6 out of 10 in the ‘labour and birth’ category, 8.5 out of 10 for ‘staff’ and 8.1 out of 10 for ‘care in hospital after the birth’.

The results meant that Barnsley Hospital received the highest scores overall out of the hospitals in South Yorkshire that participated.

Sue Gibson, Head of Midwifery, said: "These are pleasing results that show that patients think highly of the services we provide here in Barnsley.

"We work extremely hard to ensure that patients are given the best experience possible in our maternity services, and this is reflected in the results."

What do you think to this? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Lucky to be alive on Thursday December 19 2013 at 09:38
I'm lucky to be here now due to their lack of care

Reply Posted by Madders on Thursday December 19 2013 at 09:43
The only comment i have to give is that they practically turf your partner out of the hospital once youve had your baby if it falls out of visiting times. I felt so isolated and absolutly exhausted as i hadnt slept for 30 hours and had just had a difficult birth (not that i think you can have a particularly easy one), and felt very overwelmed and the fact that i had to wait 4 hours to see a friendly face.

Reply Posted by leah on Thursday December 19 2013 at 13:31
I can't thank them enough, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the fast actions of the midwife and doctors on shift when I had my little one. The care after was second to none. Thank you x

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday December 19 2013 at 15:37
madders how is the fect u had a difficult birth bdghs fault im sorry to hear u had a hard time but how is it their fault that....in other coountries u wouldn't have an nhs its not a hotel its a hospital and obv they have done their homework ion this survey....

Reply Posted by vicki on Thursday December 19 2013 at 18:10
They saved my life with my first and when I had two more they made sure things wouldnt happen like they did cos I deliver fast and I almost bleed to death but they acted fast I am alive today and they r really good with ya so I dont know why ppl say they r shit

Reply Posted by Dawnishbambino on Thursday December 19 2013 at 22:03
Anon, I understand where Madders is coming from, she is not blaming them for the difficult birth but saying she would have liked her partner to stay with her after the birth. I was the same. Had a long and complicated birth then when I was taken to the ward my husband had to leave us as it was out of visiting hours. I was gutted. It wouldn't have hurt anyone for him to stay as I was in a room on my own!!!

Reply Posted by nicky on Friday December 20 2013 at 14:07
they was amazing when i had my little boy. i can not thank them enough. :)

Reply Posted by Mother on Friday December 20 2013 at 14:22
I have to say the same the attitude towards the partners is not good . They get chucked out if not in visiting hours not thinking how hard it is also for the dad to be parted from baby and mum .

Reply Posted by Winter smith. on Friday December 20 2013 at 14:58
Well done Barnsley hospital and what a boost for all the hardworking doctors, midwives and auxiliaries.
As for "turfing your partner out" as I understand it they don't have a ward full of single rooms, what facilities are there for partners to stay overnight? Are they supposed to sleep on the floor?

Reply Posted by j on Friday December 20 2013 at 16:03
We need to give thanks for their skills and expertise and thank our lucky stars we aren't delivering in the paddy fields, then going straight back to work - life could be a lot worse!!! Seems we got it rather cushy!!

Reply Posted by Always angry on Sunday December 22 2013 at 11:08
'According to a new survey' a survey has been undertaken, so it should be re-written
'A new survey has proved that Barnsley's maternity services have been rated very highly'
About time they get the credit they deserve.

Reply Posted by Mum of 2 girls on Monday December 23 2013 at 20:13
I give them high marks also, I also nearly bled to death after I had my first born and they acted very quickly to get me out of danger. Although communication with my husband whilst I was in surgery was non existent they still saved my life. And when I went in for my second child they did what they needed to do for it not to happen again and everything went smoothly second time round. I take my hat off to any midwife/neonatal nurse! It can't be an easy job to do specially when they run into problems like I had! Well done to staff at Barnsley hospital on labour suite :). Specially the 2 sets of midwives I had when I was in having my girls! They were fantastic!

Reply Posted by lara on Monday December 23 2013 at 20:18
only problem I have with the maternity service that I don't think they got a survey on was the diabetic maternity clinic its horrible you get appointments but tend to be there hours never get seen on time and they really take the piss with that clinic and they want you there every week to waste hours of your time to see the doctors to be told the same things week after week that I already know. no understanding if you cant go report you to social services for neglect on the baby just because you don't go.
as for partners I have never had this problem it says its an open door policy for partners so don't get this at all I had one at 6:25am he stayed with me till we left the same afternoon, one at 6:25pm he stayed till late and I was in labour 33 hours so I got to have a nap after while he watched her then last one was born at 2:02pm and he stayed till evening and I got to nap and rest never had it where hes been told to leave soon as we get to ward and they have signs up saying partners can come at any time. maternity ward have been great and I see them a lot. only problem I had was with last one I had midwife and doctor arguing in my room at 4 in morning after only having a short nap after having her then been woken every hour to check bms was not professional at all and was fuming with doctor poor midwife was only trying to be on safe side but could have taken it outside as got both there points.

Reply Posted by mike on Monday December 23 2013 at 21:15
Its the most shitis one and crap care they must off been payed to say its good ther shit and i raver die than go ther agen

Reply Posted by Collet on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 10:22
No wonder we are at the bottom of the league on intelligence,thank god we have a NAVY?