Barnsley Second Bottom In Ofsted Table

Friday December 20 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

BARNSLEY'S secondary schools have been named the second worst in the country by an Ofsted report.

The education watchdog has claimed that more than three-quarters of school pupils are in schools rated 'inadequate' and 'requiring improvement'.

Only 22 per cent of pupils are in schools rated 'good' or 'better', with only the Isle of Wight faring worse.

However, the council have disputed the report saying the figures are already out of date - despite it only being published several weeks ago.

A spokesman said: "Since this data was produced, Ofsted has judged another of our secondary schools to be good overall."

"This reinforces the improvements seen in Barnsley in GCSE results in 2013 that were at a faster rate than that seen nationally and regionally in the proportion of students attaining five good GCSE passes, including English and mathematics."

He added that there was a 'shared understanding' between the council and schools of the challenges facing them in tackilng under performing students.

Reply Posted by sandra on Friday December 20 2013 at 11:38
Not good enough !!!!!

Reply Posted by bob on Friday December 20 2013 at 11:47
Name and shame. Which schools are they. I'll have a cheeky pound on Kirk Balk being rated as poor.

Reply Posted by observer on Friday December 20 2013 at 12:09
i think it better to be open and honest about this. i used to have on my report. could do better. but i couldnt.i did my best. i didnt have grief from my parents insisting i do better either. dont you think this is better than handing out better results and "giving" pupils better marks than they are capable of?. and lets be honest. everyone in a school with ten a levels. is as good and equal to everyone in a school with none a levels.

Reply Posted by Marie on Friday December 20 2013 at 12:24
You speak so much sense "Observer"!

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Friday December 20 2013 at 13:43
The problem with the schools in this area is funding, poor teachers but mainly a lack of understanding of the importance of education by both pupils and parents. Many parents have poor educational backgrounds and do not insist on hard work or effort from their kids. You only have to look at the level of written English on here to see the problems. Parents are too busy blaming schools and teachers instead of making efforts to support their kids and to socialise them.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday December 20 2013 at 22:12
Totally and utterly agree PH.
I was absolutely useless at school and preffered to be the class clown, tis only later in life one realises just how silly one was not to get a proper education rather than pissing about.

Has to be said though that I was diagnosed as being dyslexic at the age of 40 which sort of ties everything together.
Thank GOD for auto spellcheckers!

I was absolutely rubbish at maths and still cant subtract to save my bleeding life, but maths was the only qualification I left school with!

WTF!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday December 20 2013 at 22:14
Also has to be said that I was never interested at school as I knew my dad would get me on at the local factory.

How I do wish I had bigger aspirations back then....

I have learnt more in my mid 40's than all the time when I was @ school!

Reply Posted by Tony on Saturday December 21 2013 at 22:54
Yes, I'm afraid your poor educational standards are clearly evident when you post on here.

Reply Posted by sunshinegirl on Friday December 20 2013 at 14:17
Totally agree purple haze! Parents often dont take responsibilty for how their child is educated. I am a parent and I have taught my child good manners as well as social skills because without the foundations how can people go on the function effectively at school or the work environment when they are older! I sit and read books and TALK to my childParents can be so ignorant to the responsibility they have to educate their own child and education doesn't just mean reading and maths etc (although very important!!) It means learning about how to be a decent human being which some schools seem to forget.

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday December 20 2013 at 14:25
When I used to go to my childrens parents evenings,I always told the teachers I was disappointed with my childs spelling although I spent my time telling them and still do it is important,they always said its not important. As long as the children grasp the idea and can put things down on paper the spelling itself doesnt matter,im sorry it bloody well does matter and it grates me that they say this. When I was at school my maths teacher tried his best with me but I was the one who let him down so I want my kids to do better but they havent done so far. I think teachers are scared to push kids because some parents take offence to others telling their kids what to do,id rather mine get a kick up the backside and do well than get left behind.

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Friday December 20 2013 at 15:45
Totally agree with both Sunshine and Sarah but how long will it be before some lazy parent who thinks parenting is letting your kids do what they want ( including what they eat, bed times, manners, swearing etc) comes on here and tells us that we are wrong.
What you betting they are the ones who argue with school non stop, have never read to their kids or even sat with them and discussed school? They will be the parents who hated school, have few qualifications and whose kids will ultimately fail and join the benefits queue or the ASOS jobs list.

Reply Posted by j on Friday December 20 2013 at 15:55
Well said - what I just don't get is why many of the parents don't aspire for better for their children than they had themselves - beggars belief when the schools and teachers have to take the blame, sacking good staff because results are down. We should get away from the 'statistics' and get back to the basics, respect, courtesy and manners for a start!! Maybe then, good social skills may encourage a different perspective on education

Reply Posted by Wise owl on Friday December 20 2013 at 16:05
I don't think we should be too harsh on the schools. They don an important job. Without them all the parents wouldn't be able to sit outside the 'working mens' clubs and get pi55ed on Stella.

Reply Posted by carl on Friday December 20 2013 at 17:05
schooling starts at home parents should help their kids learn and they should all go to after shool activities instead of hanging round streets in gangs causing trouble if the parents don't care why should their kids ??

Reply Posted by :| on Friday December 20 2013 at 21:18
Schooling and education is the cornerstone to children's development and the formation of adult life which is why I don't understand why it isn't working well in Barnsley. I quote Sarah point when it comes to spelling - spelling is essential when it comes to exams as good spelling, grammar, punctuation can add marks onto exams - this can be the difference between passing and failing exams. Structure is a key ingredient to passing and failing exams. Teaching is letting the kids down in Barnsley - I was looking at job specification for teachers in barnsley and all is needed as well as a NQT is 4A-C GCSE's including English, maths and science - anyone could've got that in the past as GCSE's in my honest opinion where easy to gain (35% or more on a higher maths GCSE paper was needed to get a C). Better qualified teachers are needed to do the job in Barnsley - not everyone. Another thing, parents let their children down because those that I know allow their children to get iPads and only teach them how to fight in playgrounds rather than read to them, play with them or socialise with them so they're equipped with skills that are relevant for their age. Instead of disputing claims - second worse in country is not good enough and things need to be stripped down to a canvas and restructured to ensure our children in Barnsley get the best education in the country.

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday December 20 2013 at 21:49
Thank you for agreeing with me with regards to the spelling comment not many people do. I think we need to start from the top down regarding our education system,things have been going pear shaped for too long. The education minister and union muppets need to come into our schools not just the best ones but all of them,without warning to see for real whats going on only then I think will our kids and their teachers get a better deal. I dont think we will get the best education in the country there are far too many parents that just say whatever instead of get off your rear and go to college or work and make something of yourself. My kids (all 4 of them) are under strict instructions to do well in school go to college or apprenteship get some money behind them and get out of Barnsley,my son has to anyhow for the career path he has chosen.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday December 20 2013 at 22:45
Whilst at school, my parents showed no interest in my or my brother and two sisters education. We all had poor attendance,because they couldn't be bothered to get us up and off to school. I saw school as my escape and had mainly fantastic teachers, eventually earning a place at a High School,where once again my teachers were harsh,but fair. The lessons,including all sciences,languages and Latin choir. (That makes me smile these days,I'm soooo broad Yorkshire,I bet it sounded brill!). Against all odds at home,each one of us kids have done really well, 1 in education,1 in NHS,1 in prison service and I have my own business. My point is, no matter what life is like at home,if the you have good teachers,the sky can be the limit. Of course its easier if parents help and show some interest,but a teacher can mould children from all backgrounds. We were not allowed to go to college,we had to work and "tip up",but we all found our paths in life. To me,it seems as if the teachers have too many rules and regs to follow these days and they get in the wayof .....teaching the kids. My teachers inspired me to get on in life,I'm not sure itslike that now?

Reply Posted by Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know on Saturday December 21 2013 at 08:41
Good points Sid, I know one or two teachers & they all agree that they spend more time untangling red-tape, rather than actual teaching. It must be hard on them not being able to do what they set out to do, educate children, hamstrung by Rules & regs, parents who don't care, Council cuts to budgets etc. This Tory lot don't give a monkey's, their kids are off to Eton, Harrow & the rest.

Reply Posted by j on Saturday December 21 2013 at 12:05
I think some may be a little deluded about the necessary qualifications needed to teach - try top grades GCSE's, 4 A Levels, University Degree 2:1 or above, NQT and QTS - try it, you'll soon see it is not easy to become a teacher .. and then they become disillusioned as they worked hard to get the necessary results and found they were strangled with red tape and statistics instead of doing the job they trained hard for.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday December 21 2013 at 13:12
I reckon you're right there J. I know quite a few teachers and I know they work really hard outside the classroom to. Then,you have to remember,some of the kids will be and are really hard work socially. For me,I wouldn't be a teacher for all the tea in China. Teachers powers have been taken away and that's never a good thing,kids will cross the line,they did in my day too,but the teacher always sorted it,immediately. I do think that kids would enjoy school more if the teachers were left to their own devises more. Too much of the nanny state. Kids deserve better yes,but so do the teachers. Let them get on with it.

Reply Posted by j on Saturday December 21 2013 at 14:08
Too true Sid - unless they take the power away from the kids (and half of the bloody parents who stick up for them when they know they have done wrong!!), nothing will change. OK for the parents to blame the teachers - they want to try to do it with their hands tied firmly behind their backs!! More teachers than ever are leaving the profession and to be honest, I just don't blame them!

Reply Posted by miffed on Saturday December 21 2013 at 14:18
Time to crack down on parents that don't give a shat whether the kids they have go to school or not and whether the kids disrupt classes. Then the heads should stop worrying about what the kids look like but more about how they are learning.

Reply Posted by teacher on Saturday December 21 2013 at 17:15
As a deputy head of a primary school, I am also appalled at current status of education in Barnsley. I strive for the best for my pupils, but are faced with 50% of my class who turn up to school 20 minutes - 1hr after the start of school ( we can't fine for that and even if we do they don't pay or pay £1 a week for 6 years!) children who swear at me and constantly remind me that I can't touch them and that they'll get their dad to 'smash my face in!' Parents have a BIG part to play in educating their children too. Start with morals and manners.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday December 21 2013 at 21:51
It must be hard teacher. I'm just wondering if the kids have careers advise these days? Are they made fully aware of what is expected of them at work? Consistant Lateness at my place would mean being sent home with no pay and then eventually the sack. Foul laguage is certainly not tolerated outside the workjshop, banter between the guys is fine,but there is a time and a place. I have had kids that can't read/write at my place and their CV is the starting point for me,some don't get an interview just on the state of their literacy. Maybe its time to introduce the outside working world into schools. I may be off the mark there? It may be in place now for all I know.

Reply Posted by j on Saturday December 21 2013 at 17:28
Parents are the foundation of their child's education - and until they understand that I see no change, sorry to say. Some children starting school have never even been shown a book at home, taught how to eat properly, shown the basics of hygiene etc., but it is not the child's fault is it? They learn through example and I'm afraid there are some poor role models out there these days.

Reply Posted by T on Saturday December 21 2013 at 18:49
Agree with J. Some lousy parenting in the Barnsley area. Some pupils are going to be third generation benefit cheats. Why work hard when they see their parents doing nothing for their money???

Reply Posted by j on Saturday December 21 2013 at 19:41
Just can't understand - they complain about their 'shit' lives, but don't encourage their children or give them motivation and aspiration to do better. Such a shame and such a waste of potential for a better life.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday December 21 2013 at 19:54
I agree 100% @J. I have school kids working their work experience at my little place,and everyone of them have said they hate school and can't wait to leave and get a job. That's such a shame, it leaves me to ask them without schooling what job will they deserve? Adulthood in a job you hate is soul destroying. They don't seem to listen though. Maybe the kids that are slacking could do 2weeks experience at places like ASOS/Amazon. If they saw that as their future it might make them think and try harder at school. Both my sons have said they regret not knuckling down more.

Reply Posted by j on Saturday December 21 2013 at 21:13
Trouble is with them as well, they don't want to start at the bottom and work up - they think they can just go straight to the top - what a rude awakening they going to have. Just had a work experience girl with me, supposedly for 3 weeks, 10.30 to 2.30. She actually came 3 times!! Then expected a glowing report to her tutor!! I agree, throw them in the deep end, sink or swim eh?

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday December 21 2013 at 21:31
You see @j, that girl should have been taken off the course. Some kids do need to see the consequences of their actions. The kids at mine have all been good to be fair and have enjoyed the experience in our workshop, but they don't see that the guys they are working with have done years of training and that courses are ongoing. They don't see that when they start work,especially in a small/medium business they are worthless in monetary/profit terms. Its a big gamble employing a school leaver,and believe me,some can't read/write well enough to take the break order, I kid you not. Where does an employer start,when even the basics are not there. Thinking about it,it may be a good idea if the schools invited employers in to chat to the pupils about what is expected off them if they are to get good solid full time employment. I for one would do it gladly, and at no cost by the way.

Reply Posted by j on Saturday December 21 2013 at 21:49
Totally agree with you Sid - this used to happen in the 70's when the boss went to schools and colleges. I went with my boss to Barnsley College to show the students what was expected from them at interview. We played out two scenarious - the wrong way and the right way. Years later, whilst working at BMBC, an office junior was employed to work alongside me. She knew me, but I could not recall her until she said I had proved such a good role model to her when she was at college and I had taught her how to undertake an interview. I did not know the girl, but made a lasting impression. Maybe, like you say, employers should go out there and tell them what they expect and what they won't accept. Could be a good 'wake up' call and even if it only wakes up a few it would be worth it.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday December 21 2013 at 22:03
That's brilliant @j. Read my earlier post in reply to @teacher. To think you made that impression on the girl shows this could work.I do believe there is opportunity out there. Try to get a plumber/builder/joiner etc and its hard. I'm thinking many kids don't want to train up,as you say they want to step in to a skilled job,skilled money with no skill. I must say,I can see the kids good enough to train up and I keep them forever, haha, once I have paid them to go to college for 3 years I don't let them go. They then,and only then,become a brilliant asset to my business. Its a mutual win,win situation. Yes,maybe bring the working world into the schools. Could be a good idea.

Reply Posted by j on Sunday December 22 2013 at 08:18
When do we start then, Sid? lol - catch the first year secondary pupils, then go back each year for a refresher. This is what is lacking with the kids today - ground level knowledge about standards, expectations and self worth. Too many kids with the wrong attitude to life in general, living in a world where they can 'do no wrong' - down to parenting I'm sorry to say and some will shoot me down on this one, but I stand fast!!

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday December 22 2013 at 10:32
Yes, its better than them not being told @j.
My parents didn't care about education ,to be fair,dont think many did. But it really is a different world now. Jobs were in abundance, manual,office,,etc, you were more or less guaranteed employment. Its not the case now days ,so yes,the parents must get involved so that their kids have the best of chances or they will end up running around like headless chickens at ASOS...Not good.

Reply Posted by T on Sunday December 22 2013 at 13:07
It seems after the merges of the secondary schools like Holgate and Kingstone that this has happened. I left school in 2007 and if I remember correctly we had very good Ofsted reports. The super schools are been run by business executives not educational staff. Shame really. There's so much potential in pupils that will probablly be lost due to these huge schools.

Reply Posted by j on Sunday December 22 2013 at 13:14
Totally agree T - why do they always try to mend what's not broken? Good community schools, demolished in the name of progress - more like demolished for money!! Totally wrong in my opinion.

Reply Posted by Nix on Sunday December 22 2013 at 16:23
I agree with t , my child goes to a super school . At her old school she was doing brilliant her grades were good and since the the merge her grades arnt as good dispite her doing all her home work and the support from myself , also this school really couldn't care less the head is the most awfull person I have ever come across he does nothing what so ever if child is getting bullied or as any other issues and the members of staff I have met seem just as bad . Before the merge the staff actually cared about the kids they went to work everyday because they wanted to make a difference as with this new school it's just a clocking in and clocking out job to them .

Reply Posted by j on Sunday December 22 2013 at 17:40
These super schools are too big, too impersonal and lacking the community atmosphere. The teachers therefore can't be expected to be on first name terms with them all, so the relationship breaks down, the kids then feel as though no-one cares and the teachers become disillusioned, spelling disaster I'm afraid. Change can be a good thing, but in this case, a failure to staff and pupils alike.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday December 22 2013 at 18:33
Things won't change back now,mores the pity,so somehow they have to work things out. It is sad,kids have enquiring minds,so they should be open books. The government seem to be using the cane on the teachers,threats of poor work, on the spot inspections etc. Its as if the teachers are being punished by the government instead of them working with them. Teaching and schools have changed and staff need help. Isn't it the same with lots of things now though? The massive hospitals ,schools,doctors surgeries,police stations? Most of them can't cope. Things have to change. I think most teachers set off with good intentions,but I can see how they can get dissallusioned. I know one thing, I wouldn't like to spend 5 minutes trying to teach some of the kids around these days, many just see nothing wrong with swearing. I admire the ones I have been involved with.

Reply Posted by Jack on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 10:16
Maybe something to do with the vast majority of breeding in our town being by the degenerates.. dragging up retarded children?

Reply Posted by GRIM on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 22:12
got to say, as disapointing as this story is, it is so refreshing to thesr a comments thread on WAB owned by people giving geuine vaild opinions based on experiences and insight, rather than the usual @kilkenny or racist bullcrap we see here on a regular basis.

There is still time for things to improve and change in our town. I hope that Gove's educational implementations in the ciriculum will take into account all type or learners and skill sets, rather than just the accademic.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday December 24 2013 at 23:07
@grim, you're right there. Not everyone is suited to academic jobs. We need skills in manual workers,that's where its failing maybe? The kids who don't do well in the three R,s are not catered for now. Its those guys that end up at ASOS and such. Its a real pity.