Outrage As Vandals Set Fire To Memorial Wreaths

Tuesday December 17 2013

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

MEMORIAL wreaths hung on the railings of a cemetery have been set alight by vandals, causing upset and outrage among residents.

The railings around the cemetery in Wombwell, on Summer Lane and Cemetery Road, are adorned with plaques paid for by family members.

At Christmas time mourners often place seasonal wreaths below or above the plaques as an additional tribute to loved ones.

However, heartless vandals set fire to a large number of the wreaths on Monday or Tuesday night of last week.

Police have been informed and a patrol of officers was put on around the cemetery Tuesday evening but yet more were set alight after officers left.

A number of residents have approached the Friends of Wombwell Cemetery society to express their anger and concern.

Chairman of the group Mike Bretton said: "We've been doing this for several years now and this has really come out of the blue for us.

"It must be people who have nothing better to do who are just stupid.

"The police had a slow patrol around on Tuesday but obviously they can't be a 24-hour guard for them."

The wreaths are mostly made of plastic and can be easily set alight. Further damage has been done as the melted plastic of the wreaths has dried and stuck to the railings and the pavement.

"They must burn quite well I suppose but it just looks a real mess at the moment," added Mike.

"We will be putting more up though because we won't have broken window syndrome take hold.

"We have people come to us upset about it and they can't quite believe it.

"We won't give up, though. Hopefully whoever is responsible is caught or they get bored of doing it."

Anybody who witnessed the vandalism should call the police on 101.

Reply Posted by ... on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 13:08
I hope the offenders are caught.

Burning wreaths is the lowest of the low. They do need teaching a lesson.

Reply Posted by mememe on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 13:09
trouble is some people have no respect.when caught they should be made to clean the churchyard up.

Reply Posted by Jordan Robinson on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 14:21
They should be made to pay for new ones also!! Discusting! Some people have no respect!!

Reply Posted by Wendy on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 16:20
Well said Rog

Reply Posted by Kfc on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 17:44
Name and shame there's no place in community's for these animals.

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 20:43
Yes Kfc name and shame them, let's see who they are ,these morons living amongst us normal decent people. Also who are the idiots who are breeding these low life? God help us.

Reply Posted by Jess on Thursday December 19 2013 at 17:39
Why do things like this? I'm first to admitt that when I was young I got up to all kind of things I shouldnt be doing but would never ever do this and neither would anyone I knew or hung about with do it. Kids have no respect anymore, I blame the parents they havent got enough authority about them and let there kids do what they want! Most of the kids are been brought up by parents that 'cant be arsed'

Reply Posted by claire on Thursday December 19 2013 at 17:40
Huge lack of respect!! Hope they get caught but will probably only get a slap on the wrists! I say make them do 100hr community service starting in all the cemeterys cleaning the leaves etc! Makes my blood boil with people that don't have respect. Or if that was me stick a wreath on their hands and set light to it let them see just how much it hurts just as they have hurt the loved ones families!

Reply Posted by gav on Thursday December 19 2013 at 17:46
They should put cctv up then name and shame and bill the mum and dad

Reply Posted by KFc on Thursday December 19 2013 at 17:50
The problem with parents today in there 30 something's. is they have no respect for themselves let alone no how to bring up children.

We had 10 children in our family we had no carpets 4 in a bed and we could make a chip nutty with one chip and one slice of bread.

What we did have was hard working loving dad and a crazy mother that loved us and sorted you out if you crossed the line.

We had respect for our neighbours and respect for ourselves. People was referred to as Mr & Mrs and today 50 years plus later when I visit my area I was born I still call them Mr & Mrs.

Respect and Manners costs nothing the two words that most children of today will never come across, because there parents don't understand the words or choose to be ignorant selfish, and I'm alright Jack attitude in life.

Reply Posted by Liz auckland on Thursday December 19 2013 at 17:53
I'm absolutely appalled reading this! It's the lowest of the low. It's one of the most disrespectful things I've ever heard! What enters their heads to do something like this? They should definitely be named and shamed and if they are young kids then their parents should be held accountable. It's bloody sick!

Reply Posted by Kelly Watson on Thursday December 19 2013 at 17:54
Dirty gets they wouldn't like it if it happened to them its shown that they ant been brought up with respect at all

Reply Posted by Jim on Thursday December 19 2013 at 18:40
Name and shame them! Hopefully the good people of Barnsley will be able to have 'words' with these idiots. Hopefully, they will receive a lesson they will NEVER forget! ;)

Reply Posted by Katie on Thursday December 19 2013 at 19:56
Kfc I dont think its fair you slagging mums in there 30s is fair really! I know mums in there 20s and there better than the ones in there 40s! Dont tar everyone with same brush because thats not on! My mum had me when she was 18 and I have manners. Not everyone is the same!!

Reply Posted by maria on Sunday December 22 2013 at 20:37
Well said Katie!
I'm 30 and a mum of three, my kids are very respectful to me and everyone else. They are like this because i have brought them up the way my parents brought me up. Some parents dont care or bring their kids up properly, but age has nothing to do with it!!

I hope the people/kids that are setting fire to wreaths get caught and are made to pay in community hours!!

Reply Posted by doreen on Sunday December 22 2013 at 22:38
when we went pass last week my husband said i bet they would not last in Hoyland as every year they go up in Wombwell and not touched (well till now ) you can not blame the parents of these that did it you all think its kids, even i think it , but it could be any 1 ,,,,,,,

Reply Posted by caz on Monday December 23 2013 at 12:17
Who's to say it's kids who are doing this?

Reply Posted by mmmm! on Monday December 23 2013 at 12:24
Well! OPE IT AINT HUMAN BEINGS!