Armed Police Used By Force To Deter Robbers

Friday December 13 2013

ARMED police are standing guard outside shops across South Yorkshire as a deterrent to would-be robbers.

Vulnerable security firms delivering cash to stores or collecting money have been working with the police to offer an additional deterrent in an operation named 'Monarch'.

Although the force provides a high-priority service to all cash carriers and their employees all year round, this service is intensified over the Christmas period when such robberies traditionally occur.

Police bosses believe that if criminals spot armed presence outside the shops they're planning to rob, they will then abandon their plans.

South Yorkshire Police has warned criminals not all officers carrying out extra patrols over the festive season will be wearing uniforms.

In addition to visiting stores where vans are due to be making deliveries, officers will also follow the vans as they're being driven around, in an other attempt at making criminals think twice about targeting them.

Operation Monarch is running for the fifth consecutive year.

Chief Inspector Caroline Rollitt said: "We'll use a combination of tactics to deter and capture offenders.

"These include deploying both covert and overt police resources, together with specialist firearms teams to keep track on security vans during this vulnerable time.

"The message to criminals is clear - if you intend to commit such offences you will be apprehended and receive a substantial prison sentence."

Reply Posted by sid on Friday December 13 2013 at 12:03
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday December 13 2013 at 12:05
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Reply Posted by max on Saturday December 14 2013 at 00:57
YES YES YES.... Sid shut up!

Reply Posted by pttp on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:12
We're slowly becoming more and more Americanized. Welcome to the police state, now step in line and shut up.

Reply Posted by max on Saturday December 14 2013 at 01:00
we're slowly catching up to the 'Americanized'... Now lets learn from THEIR mistakes and lets not become their way of life... Step in line and be a proud law abiding citizen :)

Reply Posted by alan on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:14
more money WASTED

Reply Posted by bob on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:15
Maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe

Reply Posted by ex shop worker on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:15
this will give staff more security it can be quite scary with some amounts of money taken in these next few days it will put staff at ease a bit which is great as they will be running around like headless chickens for next week or so anyway its one less thing for them to worry as much about

Reply Posted by fat si on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:18
pttp. You mean like your spelling?

Reply Posted by sid on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:20
Still wrong . Its the start of bad things to come. More online shopping for me now! I don't want to see guns,hear guns and most of all be at the wrong end of guns! WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:49
SID DOES THAT MEAN YOU DONT WATCH COWBOYS AND INDIANS..

Reply Posted by Fed up on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:43
I was warned in town to keep my eye on my purse and I instantly felt insecure. If you're innocently going about your business then this must be a good thing surely

Reply Posted by A realist on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:59
Some of you need to get a grip. It's about time the showed a presence and it's not wasting much when they would only be sat around waiting for a call. A tbh fine and knife crimes are becoming all too common so if you ask me more police officers should be armed

Reply Posted by sid on Friday December 13 2013 at 17:33
You're mad realist

Reply Posted by agree on Friday December 13 2013 at 15:10
@A realist could not agree more it's about time we started to be more like the American police it would show the scum how they should be treated instead of the mambie pambie way

Reply Posted by sid on Friday December 13 2013 at 17:33
You're mad too @agree

Reply Posted by JJ on Sunday December 15 2013 at 20:55
Oh yeah i can tell your someone who has never had a run in with American police. They are a thousand times more aggressive than the UK police and for something as little as a minor road violation you can have a gun pointed to your head. WHy the hell would you want to give the police more power than they already have just for the sake of it? and in Barnsley aswell! its not like we have a gun problem here is it. The police do not need guns in barnsley, they can effectivly do there jobs without guns and a gun would not help them remotley with day to day police work. Lets not give guns to every half wit copper fresh out of school and leave it to the trained firearms specialist who know how to use them properly.

It's such a simplistic view to think that giving them guns that will reduce crime. reducing crime takes a hell of a lot more than walking round like your cock of tarn intimidating teenagers with your pistol...

Reply Posted by adam on Friday December 13 2013 at 15:11
as a believer of armed self defense for the law abiding, this just contradicts the governments claims that arms are not needed. armed police is no good afterall when seconds count police are minutes away. until we are allowed to protect ourselves nothing and no one will be truly safe. well apart from the thugs carrying wepons who dont care about the public and law.

Reply Posted by Tracy Woodburn on Friday December 13 2013 at 15:18
I think it's a good idea that police presence is made known.Spanish supermarkets have there cash delivered with armed guards so well done keep it up

Reply Posted by dan on Friday December 13 2013 at 15:36
People actually saying money is wastes? Are you for real you idiots?! My dad does this for a living and a number of colleagues have been sstabbed and beat up, which is more common near christmas, and your saying its a waste of money?! Ill tell you what a waste of money is, people sitting on their arses doing nothing all day scrounging off of the state. Barnsley really is full of morons. I give up with the place

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday December 15 2013 at 21:11
Hey Dan,your dad to me is a hero! I wouldn't do his job for the world. But a great nasty taser shot would sort out the low life around Barnsley. In reality a copper wouldn't be allowed to shoot petty criminals anyway. These are the morons who will stab and assault anyone,and to do this to an officer is ,in my mind disgusting. Taser them stiff. BUT NO GUNS! It strikes me though that protecting money is what it seems to be all about, which says some things upside down. Hope your dad stays safe and strong Dan. I salute him.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday December 15 2013 at 21:15
P.s Dan. I'm not a moron matey.

Reply Posted by retail worker on Friday December 13 2013 at 15:53
I too work in the cash side of retail and would appreciate any extra security anywhere around the store I work in. We get robbed blind and just a police car in the car park would deter people having a go.

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday December 13 2013 at 16:45
I work in town and its rife with pickpockets. Card factory is the worse place for it

Reply Posted by sid on Friday December 13 2013 at 17:36
No guns! Bring in more tazers! You won't agree if you get mixed up in gunfire! Its wrong!

Reply Posted by Wing nut on Friday December 13 2013 at 18:58
Years ago I worked for the post office and delivered cash to the sub post officers around Barnsley and I would have welcomed armed police following me, it was scary when we had double money on at this time year and we did not have the crash helmits they have these days or strong vans, glad I don't do it now

Reply Posted by sid on Friday December 13 2013 at 19:18
No T, I'm not a robber,and yes,get the cosh/taxes out to them but no,not the gun. We don't live in America,and we surely don't want to live like them do we? Read up on Piers Morgan,love or hate him,he states facts about guns. Its wrong!

Reply Posted by sid on Friday December 13 2013 at 19:24
oops! Tazers.

Reply Posted by wrong on Friday December 13 2013 at 20:09
how would u like ur kids to b there when the start shooting guns in middle of a busy supermarket coss i certainly wouldnt want my kids to b there it wrong yes give them more tazers etc bt gt real a gun its pathetic yes the shud do summert to stop all shop lifters etc etc bt for god sake the dunt need bloody guns its bloody pathetic

Reply Posted by sid on Friday December 13 2013 at 20:20
I thought I was on my own on this @wrong. I also imagine that most police officers would not like the responsibility of carrying a gun. When you carry a gun,you have to be willing and prepared to use it. Most of us would not like to be in that position and the bobbies are in the first line of fire. If police carry firearms,then the robbers certainly will. ITS WRONG!

Reply Posted by maxine on Saturday December 14 2013 at 01:08
ok here goes... if criminals carry weapons, why not police? If 'armed' robberies are carried out, why not armed police? Why are thugs/criminals allowed to carry weapons, but the police are not?? Get a grip ppl, after all the police are there for YOUR protection. Get it?? pfft..

Reply Posted by JJ on Sunday December 15 2013 at 21:13
and how many criminals carry guns in barnsley? you seem to think were living in Compton or somthing.. theres less than 10 firearms offences each year in Barnsley and everyones response is to give all the hundreds of police officers a gun each. There job mainly consists of locking up drunks and teenagers how would pointing a gun at anyone help the situation? yall say "give them guns" now but when your getting a glock pointed at your head for going 35 in 30 zone youl begin to realise what a stupid thing it is

Reply Posted by Collet on Saturday December 14 2013 at 08:30
Do people think that if the police don't carry arms the criminals won't, good god,does every body believe in fairies?

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday December 14 2013 at 09:26
Well,so far, guns are not openly used,so criminals generally don't carry them. See what happens when they are an everyday sight. You have to look forward,and yes guns will eventually be used but let's try and keep them off our streets as long as possible. Think about the unarmed police officer pulling a person over for a driving offence and he pulls out a gun? All police officers will not carry guns and will be so closely monitored when they do they will have to prove 100% that if used,the correct procedure will have been carried out. The criminal will fire at will,anytime anywhere. In the street,in a shop,in a car, and the public will be at huge risk. I reckon the police force should hold a vote amongst the officers and see what the outcome is. If the officers want to be armed,then I would accept it. Up till then I still say ITS WRONG......FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.

Reply Posted by hello on Saturday December 14 2013 at 10:06
Sid@ Of course Criminals use guns...

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday December 14 2013 at 10:37
Ermmm @hello??? I know that. Would you like to be a copper and carry a gun everyday,with all the responsibility it carry's? All I'm saying is,yes it will come,but try and hold it back for as long as possible. Once guns are the norm,there's no going back. The criminals,knowing all the force are armed,will automatically get arms too. Its obvious. It makes me very frightened and nervous,and anyone that isn't scared of the impact of everyday gun use needs to think about it. When all is lost to a criminal,they will just fire at will,and we,the ordinary public can't dodge a bullet. As I said,I do hope they let the police force vote,then,if over ruled by them,I would believe in the need, after all none of us on here really know.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday December 14 2013 at 15:01
Police in Nottingham ALL carry handguns, fact.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday December 14 2013 at 15:27
I didn't know that @STEVEO. The facts and figures they have since arming them would interest me.

Reply Posted by hahaha on Saturday December 14 2013 at 15:43
Sid Yes it's true. But in some parts of Barnsley the Dogs wear stab vests!!

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday December 14 2013 at 15:52
That comes as no surprise tho. @hahaha. Who,d be a bobby eh!

Reply Posted by To sid on Saturday December 14 2013 at 16:10
Facts@ Some Areas of inner city housing estates in Nottingham. The police carry GUNS....A survey by BBC..Asked if Police Officers on routine street patrols sould be Armed.==.==Don't know 7%...Agree 34%.....Disagree 59%..... Arming the Police more of the time will make it more or less likely criminals will arm themselves=====Don't know 6%.....More likely 50%......Less likely 7%...No difference 37%.... 10 different Police Forces were asked,and declined to comment on their own policy on firearms,,,

Reply Posted by T on Saturday December 14 2013 at 09:57
there's lots of country's that have armed police, not just America. I wouldn't want my kids to witness any type of crime but if I was in a bank/shop etc and armed robbers came in I'd want armed police to deal with it. What good is a cosh or tazer if your being shot at. We can't wrap our kids in cotton wool hoping they won't witness anything unsavory. Unfortunately this is the country we live in now. It was always going to come to this.

Reply Posted by ??? on Saturday December 14 2013 at 09:59
so the message is to criminals if you what to rob a shop or money van take a few people with guns with you to even it out

Reply Posted by Bill on Sunday December 15 2013 at 00:10
@ sid, I am a serving police officer and I agree with you I don't think all police officers should be armed with a gun. Yes I've lost colleagues due to being shot whilst on duty but these incidents can happen at any moment without notice and action is quicker than reaction so with all officers carrying guns it will not prevent these incidents from happening.....it may in fact make it worse. Yes we have criminals out there but every country does however not every criminal will carry a firearm and if they do most only have it as a threat and never plan on using it especially against members of the public or police officers....I went through my training to become a firearms officer as its something I always wanted to do but after all the training I decided to pull out due to the fact as a police officer you have to justify every use of force and if you did actually shoot and kill someone to protect yourself a colleague or member of public you have to be 100% sure your actions are right in a split second as well as your aiming otherwise if the solicitors can twist it in court your looking at a long time in prison for Murder (not manslaughter). We have specialist firearms officers who are highly trained. Not just to shoot someone but to talk a situation down so that firearms are not discharged. I agree to these officers being out there protecting the cash in transit workers or the shops that will have the extra cash because they do a dangerous job as it is never mind at this time of year. As for all officers being armed my vote would be NO.......I've seen some officers work and how they are keen on using CS, Taser or baton and trust me not every officer should be carrying a lethal weapon.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday December 15 2013 at 18:18
Hey Bill, I wouldn't think police officers would be allowed to post on here, but all the same, I agree with your points.

Reply Posted by Warrior on Sunday December 15 2013 at 14:30
On a lighter Xmas note regarding guns.Armed police should be patrolling the Barnsley Hospitial, Hospitial Shop.

When that shop assistants picks up his pricing Gun, they should be struck with a stun gun.

How on earth does this company W H Smith get away with robbing people with these ridiculous prices one again massive profit from the sick and vulnerable patients.

Reply Posted by STOP on Sunday December 15 2013 at 14:33
Same as Motorway services..complete rip off

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 19:42
Id rather have a trained police officer holding a gun than a adrenalin pumped robber whos got one pointing at someone whos in a desperate frame of mind!!!jeeees like the police in england would start having a shoot out in asda carpark i mean come off it...they have to get permission to sneeze...their job is to protect the public..what do people expect them to do....blow a whistle at someone thats threatning people with a gun/knife/hammer...

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 19:54
So @me. The pumped up robber starts shooting in the asda carpark? What do you think the armed police officers will not fire back? If that's right,why arm them then? Your argument doesn't hold water. The police would be dammed if they did fire and dammed if they didn't use the weapons they are given. Anyway,the chance of gunfight at OK coral asda is pretty slim,everything in there's only a quid. If the police are all given guns,the robbers will then be pushed to get guns too in retaliation. ITS STILL WRONG!

Reply Posted by Angela on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 20:02
shame they didn't stand out side of evictions to protect the people from the robbing bailiffs the fecking corporate whores ,Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr , also Google " Operation Monarch" you will be surprised what you will learn

Reply Posted by Andys on Tuesday December 17 2013 at 23:28
Has for guns the answer is no

Reply Posted by Drained on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 13:17
I can barely summon the strength to read half of the drivvle on here let alone respond to it.
The Police are there to prevent and detect crime. Am I actually reading correctly that most of society thinks we should hand be streets over to the criminals because it's "too dangerous" for the Police to engage them???
Cash in transit robbers are routinely armed. However, they're not stupid and they don't have a death wish. The point in armed Police being present when the cash vans are delivering is to be a deterrent. This is the real world not the sky movies action films most people seem to take as gospel. There won't be shootouts in the Asda car park and the armed Police working on this operation are already authorised firearms officers. They're not just handing out guns to every Bobbie on the beat!!!
IF I happened to be at a shop when a gang of armed robbers turned up I for one would feel blessed if the ARMED police were already there. And I'm sure if this situation occurred and it took the police more than 15 seconds to get there everyone would be on here asking why they took so long.
Get a grip!!