Police Tackle Metal Theft In South Yorkshire

Friday December 13 2013

SOUTH Yorkshire Police have been out in force across the county to tackle metal theft.

The activity was carried out over four days, from December 3-6, and was linked to the latest national day of action enforcing the new legislation around the illegal trade of scrap metal.

Across the county officers were stopping vehicles carrying metal and checking that they had a mobile collectors licence.

They visited scrap metal dealers to check they had a site licence, offer them advice and ensure awareness and compliance with the new rules.

One person was arrested on suspicion of the theft of power tools, one vehicle was found with red diesel and 63 were stopped in total.

Throughout the operation police officers worked in partnership with authorities including Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), Environment Agency, SmartWater and industry partners from BT, Northern Power and Network Rail.

Chief Inspector Andy Kent, lead for metal theft, said: "The county-wide operation has been successful in helping to reduce this type of crime and it has achieved its aim to raise awareness of the new legislation.

"Metal theft is not a victimless crime, it can affect the whole community. That's why it's so important for police and partner organisations to work together with local communities, businesses and legitimate scrap dealers to tackle this type of crime."

Anyone with information regarding metal theft or suspicious activity in your area please contact South Yorkshire Police on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Reply Posted by Craig on Friday December 13 2013 at 14:54
This is a serious offence, i think its about time we start throwing the book at these thieves. a tougher punishment is needed i think.

Reply Posted by Bob on Friday December 13 2013 at 18:15
One was nicked for theft of power tools, and one was nicked for using red diesel. How many were nicked for metal theft? NONE. Great job SYP.

Reply Posted by g on Friday December 13 2013 at 20:34
if they targeted the scrap yards them selves more thorough it would cut the thefts no where to sell it not worth pinching it 1 local yard will buy anything from any body no questions asked pay you at 1 window with cheque go to next window and they le cash it for 10% wheres the deterent

Reply Posted by enterprise on Monday January 20 2014 at 11:46
Where is that G - which one?

Reply Posted by John P on Saturday December 14 2013 at 19:12
Early morning and late evening that's when the scrap collectors are about in the New road and surrounding streets of Mapplewell driving slowly and scanning the area for pickings. Push bikes and childrens scooters plus the usual washing machines etc. all piled on to pick up trucks. But no police to check them??? and who accepts the contents ???

Reply Posted by Fat Pudsley of cudeth on Monday December 16 2013 at 17:46
I make a honest living out of pinching scrap power tools and anything I can get my hands on in my red pick up and so does our tonge in his white pick up if people don't want things taking then they should make it harder to pinch I work mainly in cudworth and local areas big head ben and gypsy jack is my main rivels but I take karn hill or dave write with me so nothing is too hard to steal and we always get enough money so I can run my Scooby and buy cannabiss and eat macky ds and as a side line I sell coak and smack bt im not so stupid as to get on it my self and I never get high on my own supply if your wondering what I look like im fat about 35 stone to be presise and I look like uncle buck or mabee the little fat kid out of the adams family

Reply Posted by danny on Monday December 16 2013 at 18:48
There are many fitting your description round cudworth fat pugsley. We need more to go on!