Goldthorpe's Social Supermarket Opens

Tuesday December 10 2013

THE country's first 'social supermarket' opened its doors in Goldthorpe on Monday. We went down to see what it's all about.

Community Shop will provide shoppers on the cusp of food poverty access to surplus food and products, at up to 70 per cent less than normal prices.

Major retailers including Asda, Morrisons, Marks & Spencer and Tesco have all thrown their support behind the project.

Daily items are available for a fraction of their usual price, with things like Warburtons loafs for 20p, cans of branded fizzy drinks also for 20p, Heinz beans for 29p as well as shampoos, baby food, meats and pet food.

Membership of the pilot store will be open to people living in a specific postcode area around Goldthorpe and in receipt of welfare support.

However, its organisers hope the scheme will be a success, enabling it to expand and help a much wider audience.

Sign-up days at neighbouring Goldthorpe Library will be held for those in need, but you must be from the local area. To check on your eligibility, you can also go to the shop's reception to be talked through it.

"It takes stuff that will not make it to supermarket shelves and uses it to feed people who need it most," said Sarah Dunwell, director of environment and social affairs at Company Shop, the scheme's parent company.

"While we have people in the UK going hungry, it's wrong such foods should be thrown away.

"It's been a hugely positive reaction so far and we hope to open many more across the country.

"Our parent company have a relationship with the manufacturers that means we can get access to large volumes of residual food that we can get to the people who need it the most."

Individuals that use the service will not only get access to cheaper food but will also be offered programmes of tailored support on things from debt advice to writing CVs.

More than 1,000 similar stores in Spain and Greece have opened during their recessions. Twenty more are planned for the UK next year.

Many items thrown away aren't even past their sell-by dates - Sarah said cheeses with the wrong weights couldn’t go on sale, nor chocolate mousses mispackaged with lemon mousse lids.

Sarah added: "We're aiming to fill a gap between food banks and mainstream retail. Lots of families are not in such an emergency situation but are on the cusp of food poverty.

"It's for anyone who's claiming any of a list of benefits. It's not just about the long-term unemployed but hard-working families who are struggling.

"None of the manufacturers and none of the retailers want to see food going in the bin. They have all been really supportive of this project."

One of the shoppers on the day, a 74-year-old ex-miner who wished to remain anonymous, said: "It's hard for us pensioners to get by, so I'm ever so thankful for this place.

"The items are much, much cheaper than in supermarkets and there's nothing wrong with them. It's great to have this in the local community and I think it could solve many problems for many people."

Barnsley Council leader Sir Steve Houghton said: "We're delighted that this valuable asset has opened in Goldthorpe.

"The new store will be a great asset for local residents enabling them to access a range of high quality, low cost food as well as a place where they can access local services.

"It will also complement the council's ongoing commitment to support people and the community in this difficult financial climate."

Reply Posted by tracy on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 09:48
i live on barnsley road goldthorpe..do i qualify to shop there.am on jsa.

Reply Posted by julie on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 09:51
i live in jump is there coming near me

Reply Posted by loo on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 09:53
Should be open to surrounding areas too what about Darfield and Bolton areas theres loads of people on benefits that are low on money in those areas aswell!

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 09:55
Its a rip off. There bot doing it to help prople but actually doing it to get more stock for free and selling it on to make him more business. By using the word charity so suppliers will provide them with free stock. So it dont go to waste but in fact hes doing that to put in his other shops to make money for himself and not to give it to charity. Its a joke if u ask me!!! N then they dont declare it!!! Pass this on!!!

Reply Posted by a little help dont hurt on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:12
Urgh.. I hope you never find yourself in the predicament where you might need help.. I feel sorry for your small mindedness even if company's are begging for stock they are trying to help people who need it that is not a bad thing when stuff in supermarkets is on the up x

Reply Posted by Hollie on Friday December 27 2013 at 08:46
Well said.

Reply Posted by Marie on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:15
The specific postcode number gives the impression of segregation! one unemployed young mother of 6 children in my street in Goldthorpe does not qualify at the moment because of this " rule " ......totally absurd. this apply also to some pensioners...

Reply Posted by Jo on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:18
Another way to help people who won't work as well as free rent counsel tax gas electric. It's people who work and have to pay for everything who are finding it hard and what help do we get?

Reply Posted by nat on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:20
Absolutely disgusting!! I have 2 children and work full time I struggle every month to pay my bills and honestly would be better of on benefits but I have a bit of pride in myself and dont want other people paying for my children. Maybe working parents need a little help sometimes!! Just makes people on benefits look even worse tbh!!

Reply Posted by stevie on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:21
I think Its wrong that us who work cant use it,we all need help,..work Our arses off for no rewards

Reply Posted by jester on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:24
Perhaps we should accept that this will help many people. However it there are and always will be have and have nots in any society no matter what we do. I believe the products are in date but end of line products from major retailers / supermarkets thetefore would only be sent to landfill. Surely this is wrong and it is right that these foods are used. Also the supplier may get money for the products which is low in comparison to fat cat supermarket's as a small business they have heat light staffing to pay for. I suppose at least they are trying to help, those on lower incomes. However those working really struggle and get little help.

Reply Posted by arbiter on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:26
If im not mistaken, is that not beer in the image? i cant remember alcohol, fizzy drinks or mayonnaise being bare necessities. This is even more reason to stay on benefits when they aren't needed. Cheap booze and food, cheap rent and council tax, getting to laze around the house all day? might pack my job in now and get on this, seem easier than working to just scrape together my rent, food and transport to work.

Reply Posted by J Eddie on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:31
It better not sell ale.

Reply Posted by Simon on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:31
Yes I agree it should be open to everyone in the Dearne valley area and not just people on benefits either I'm on a low income I run a house by myself can barely live on what's left out of my wages after all the bills and rent come out

Reply Posted by unique on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:33
This should not apply for only ppl on benefits my husband works 2 jobs to pay for bills and it only leaves penny's left after I look after the kids and don't get a thing but yet there are people on benefits that have no children and still get more money than us we don't smoke or drink because we can't afford too but all the doleys manage to do one or the other or both and some even afford drugs too they have nice houses paid for and a regular income and all the time in the world for there family's which is a luxury for my husband to see the kids on a Sat as he is at work wen they wake comes Home wen there in bed and works weekends at his other job were all deeply unhappy but YOU HAVE TO WORK! Well done government for helping the pensioners if they have worked in the past but shame on you _"helping" ppl that take take take and have never worked a day in there life

Reply Posted by Hilda on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:42
unique@ Please don't use the phrase "ALL THE DOLEYS" Some doleys do struggle to get by..Get a grip this is what the Government wants.Workers against the benefit claimants.And with the comments on WAB.The Government are winning hands down!

Reply Posted by Hollie on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 09:14
Well said, I have 2 disabled kids and I struggle to get by.

Reply Posted by JJ on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 22:31
Doleys?! Why are you getting so worked up at your own people, who live in one of the most deprived parts of barnsley, for getting food for slightly cheaper than you do? What is your point. That if there on the dole they should also starve to death and have no quality of life what so ever just so you don't feel hard done by? You need to put you're self in some of there shoes, you said you don't work either so how can you have the cheek to judge the single mothers with two kids who don't work either?!

Reply Posted by J. on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:36
No it's not ale. The article specifies that it doesn't sell alcohol or tobacco. And rightly so.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 13:44
Yes @j. Fags,booze,phones, should all come bottom of the list when on benefits! There are folk having kids whilst never having had a job! Get employed,get a good partner, get housed, and then get the kids! That's the correct order,if you do things in the wrong order,well more fool you! Don't complain!

Reply Posted by Tony on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 17:25
You forgot the sky telly.

Reply Posted by cripes on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:39
go to Goldthorpe library. There you will get information about how to apply for a card. There are drop-ins once a month, where you can take along all of your proof of any benefits you recieve, and your total home income.
This applies to anybody interested in apply.
People get reassessed every six months.

Reply Posted by unique on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:50
Hilda there are very few in my opinion that are on benefits that are genuinely in financial difficulty the point I was trying to get across is that if you can afford personal luxury like tobacco and alcohol and drugs you are not in financial difficulty in my opinion as I said befor I don't work as I have 2 small children but I also don't claim anything as my husband works for a pittance I mite add but yet we are not able to go there and we could do with and would appreciate the help

Reply Posted by GRIM on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:56
If you have a close look at what the supermarket sells, other than the perishables, it is not really any cheaper than Lidl or Aldi.
Even at a third off the RRP, the own brand Waitrose, M&S, and famous brands that this shop sells are no cheaper than Aldi or Lidl own brands.
I can do a weeks shop for two for less than £40 at aldi, where it would cost £60 at Asda, Morrisons etc.

Reply Posted by kiel on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 10:57
Always the conservative agenda! To turn the working man against the unemployed, clearly they're doing a great job. Don't hate the downtrodden man who needs help, hate the rich man who deprives the help by dodging his taxes! Tax dodging costs the government far more than the welfare system does!!

Reply Posted by ronnie on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 22:40
That's harsh Reggie. Many co workers are now on the dole! Let's hope its never you or I that's counted as one of their number. Its possible you know these days.

Reply Posted by kray on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 22:44
Reggie is a layabout loser.full of hot air and shite..bet you darn;t say that statement to my face!

Reply Posted by ronnie on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 22:52
Take that point bruv! I have seen that lot!

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 11:14
great shop, just wish they sold beer and fags cheap.

Reply Posted by urgh on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 11:55
A little help dont hurt, don't worry i won't i have a spine and can support myself. The human trash of this country have no idea what it means to be genuinely poor, take a trip to Africa or the far east if you want to see real poverty. If people were made to stand on their own two feet instead of being constantly spoon fed then shops like this could be set up to help the genuinely needyrather than the lazy.

Reply Posted by JJ on Wednesday December 18 2013 at 22:39
Oh right so what your saying is Barnsley needs some real third world Africa style poverty to give everyone a kick up the arse and get a job? good plan im sure that'll make Barnsley a better place... You do know barnsley nearly had full employment up until the 80's? its weird how everyone suddenly got lazy all of a sudden when the pits and factorys closed down! must be a coincidence! Africa poverty to save Barnsley lol!!!

Reply Posted by joe on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 12:18
what a joke this country is, perhaps when ppl passing shop (us workers) can point our finger and say "who are ya who are ya"

Reply Posted by joe on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 12:24
mmmmmmmmmmmmm choc mousse, that will feed the hungry

Reply Posted by Im allowed inside the shop on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 12:35
Had chicken breast and roasted veg,chocolate gateau for pud..YUM YUM JOE

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 13:20
So, you're allowed in the shop...and your point is what? Nothing special there mate? That's ordinary food for an ordinary kinda day! Nowt to brag about plonked,unless I'm missing the point?

Reply Posted by Dean on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 10:01
he's pointing out that he's on some sort of unemployment benefit.. thats all I can see

Reply Posted by Working mother on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 13:22
Maybe if they did this for working people only it would encourage the majority of the population that is unemployed to get off there arse and get a job, sick of hearing single mother in benefits just because your single dosnt mean u carnt work why don't you get some pride get off your arse and get a job you brought a child in to this world so go out and provide for it!!!!

Reply Posted by mags on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 13:25
unique,your husband must be earning enough money to make it that you dont qualify for any kind of help,eg working tax credits,working families tax credits,help with council tax etc,and i know from personal experiance what yopu can claim when your working,and trust me you are better off working,yes you might still struggle to pay your bills every month same as the rest of us,but the genuine benefit claiments struggle even more than we do i know iv'e been there and it isnt the life of riley people think it is ,its such a pity that some of those people on here with their woe is me comments arnt forced to live 12 months on benefits,they may just start to appreciate what they have then,what in gods name is wrong with people i for one would much rather see this food used to help genuine people in need than be tipped into some recycle bin

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 13:30
For gods sakes,it's a cheap food shop! They're all over the place! If you want cheap food,go buy it! I can't understand the back biting on this post! If you're skint, stop the beer and fags, buy them after you have bought the food,gas and electric! Why on earth this is making anyone jealous is beyond me! Which ever supermarket you go to its all processed crap anyway. Most of it will never go into my body even if it was free. Its garbage!

Reply Posted by jimbob on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 13:44
Sid get over yourself man..jealous folk on here..if you wasn;t bothered Sid you would not comment.Sounds like sour grapes to me..Get a bloody life.it;s only food and if you can't go into the shop.SO WHAT! don't let Pride get in your way...good luck to the people who are fortunate to use the shop!

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 13:47
No @ jimbob,maybe my post came over wrongly, I agree with you. I'm swiping at the ones that begrudge anyone the food. Its nothing special,its ordinary food. Soz for not explaining it right.

Reply Posted by jimbob on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 13:54
appologies Sid@ Sick to my back teeth with the moaners about the shop.I work and eat healthy food..and if the people benefit and don't abuse the shop.hopefully the kids don,t go hungry.sad state of affairs has I think this is dividing the unemployed and the workers,,and making some workers very bitter..which I think the government is hoping!

Reply Posted by Nix on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 13:55
If this means a child can have a warm meal then it's a great idea

Reply Posted by danie on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 22:29
exactly nix think people on here a missing the point , if it means a child can have a warm meal then so be it , too many small minded people on this site , quite frankly im worried that these people are actually influencing children with their narrow minds ,i thought "adults" were supposed to set an example to children , dread to think what some of these peoples kids are growing up like seeing their parents call people scrubbers , and making out that they are less of a human being for accepting help , people are too quick to judge they dont know why some people are on benefits , and before any nasty comments yes myself and my partner works , rant over

Reply Posted by Anon 2 on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 14:12
Doesn't it specify any benefits( Working Tax Credits, Child Tax credits) R all benefits

Reply Posted by x on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 16:30
anyone on a low income can apply andy,the problem is some people fetching home 2 wages equalling around £500 a wk class that as a low income and claim they are struggling,so i suppose its what is classed as a low income

Reply Posted by NEIL on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 19:12
ye people what work for a living, with a family like me have to pay full price on every thing,,, maybe instead of opening one of these ,,,they need to start getting people jobs!!!waste of time,

Reply Posted by jack on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 19:28
NEIL stop it,your making my heart bleed..loser

Reply Posted by jill on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 19:32
Loser to who jack? You? Neil may be a PROUD loser luv,but what are you? A scrounging scratter??? Yesireebob!

Reply Posted by jack on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 19:39
No love I also work.but fetch enough money own to survive. Been skilled helps..My family never go without,so put that in your pipe and smoke it..let the people get the food,better than throwing away,but the jealous people on here over a bit of food makes me sick..losers moan! all boils down to education.get educated and no need to be on the breadline on shit wages..

Reply Posted by mrs l jones on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 19:44
Jack@ brilliant statement.People will moan about anything,instead of bettering themselves
.just moan all the time.

Reply Posted by mmmm/ on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 19:56
Arnt you smug! Its difficult to better yourself whilst raising a family and both parents are working. People do try though,they don't need people like you to knock them down. After all you Mrs Jones are moaning about the people who are moaning!

Reply Posted by jack on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 20:04
mmmmmm excuse after excuse ..same old story.people have kids first then think about the future,,with me set the stone first then family when the time is right..

Reply Posted by mmmmm on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 20:13
I agree jack. BUT, the mans working. Why you called him a loser is beyond me! Think you just "had a moan" at some poor bugger.

Reply Posted by jack on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 20:23
.i was only stating if people shopped around there is various cheap food outlets.no need to moan about the shop.it is only food at the end of the day.and I think if it means the kids get fed than the shop is all good.

Reply Posted by jill on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 19:51
Jack! Neil didn't say his family do without ,he obviously does work to survive,he just expressed that a bit of help for the lower paid workers wouldn't go amiss. As a worker yourself you must,at some point have felt Neils frustration. Decent people agree that the food should be made available and not thrown away,but to call a working guy that is just airing the views of many workers a loser, sorry,but you were wrong. The guys not a loser,he's a worker who,s paying his way in life for his family and wishing he had a bit of spare money at Christmas. Solidarity jack,solidarity mate.

Reply Posted by jack on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 19:59
jill this is just what the Government are after,,divide between the unemployed and the worker..getting everybody at loggerheads. if people looked round the supermarkets the food can often be has cheap at this new shop.i know from experience has I do and always buy items reduced in price if that is what you need,Some people just need to learn to budget a little better.times are hard and lifestyles have to change,,just saying

Reply Posted by jill on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 20:09
Hey jack! I'm with you on all of that,the government are pitting workers against the unemployed,but you called a fellow worker a flipping loser!! So now you ,maybe as a high earner, had a go at Neil. It just seems snobby to me, high earners belittling low wage earners! The guy might be a young fella just starting on the ladder of work, he,s working,paying his way and as we all do at times begrudge every penny of our tax and n.ins.. I know I have begrudged paying mine on many occasions...11% pay rise to the politicians springs to mind. There's no way you can call Neil a loser, he's probably feeling a bit pi✴✴ed off today. Solidarity within the workforce must stand surely jack,if not its game over! Pity about the employed,unemployed divide, and I agree with you,its being whipped up by forces greater than us.

Reply Posted by jack on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 20:18
jill The bankers got there bonus.camerons father gets paid a large sum for wind turbines on his land..it disgusts me the amount of money thrown about the country.but sadly its the North South divide.I am not a high earner.i just manage my money.i do not drink or smoke.but enjoy the occasional meal out.as I was saying earlier.nothing special about the new shop because if you shop around you can get cheap food at varius outlets..

Reply Posted by jill on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 20:24
I agree with everything you say jack,its just the bit where you called the guy earlier a loser. He's more than likely a bloke trying to do his best,and failing at times that's all. A loser is a bloke who enjoys benefits that he,s not entitled to and makes no contribution to society,not even on a voluntary basis. Poor Neil. I would rather he have a bit of help with his family shopping bill rather than a ermmmmm loser! Haha! Hope you see where I'm coming from.

Reply Posted by jill on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 20:28
Just wondering where Neils gone? And I'm not sticking up for him any more. Haha! I'm getting in a jack and Jill tangle! Anyway,good banter jack!

Reply Posted by jack on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 20:28
fair point jill.

Reply Posted by Kirsty on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 21:07
I shop at their parent shop at tankersley, and I find the prices much cheaper than aldi and lidl, if you shop smart, and choose their offers, for instance soups reduced to 19p, chickens sometimes going for £1, I got 3 large pizzas for £1, meals packaged for company shop 4 for £1... cheap! I presume the same prices will be at this store too. I think its a brilliant idea.

Reply Posted by unique on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 22:13
@mags yes we do qualify for working tax all of £1.63 of it per week not because we earn 2 much because he works too many hours
Which he has to to make ends meet no family credit too many hours no council rebate because we don't qualify for the above so as I said befor ppl who need help genuinely can't get it

Reply Posted by Dean on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 09:58
as a heads up, both working tax credits and family credit are not calculated using hours, they are calculated using pay. Otherwise, I could work 2hr for £500 and still claim working tax? No.. facts are your friend

Reply Posted by GWMC on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 22:42
We need 1 of these in Grimey please

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 22:49
I call in as a grimey most weeks. I'm sorry,but there are some scruffy buggers there and what do I see in Thier baskets? You gorrit, booze,pot noodles and cheapest bread going. No fruit,veg,meat,just crap. Then they buy fags at the till! Sorry mate,but I see it every week. Many just prefer the boozing and smoking to the eating! Its not one or two of them either,there's loads at it. Saying that,the gym is doing really well,so there is hope.

Reply Posted by jill on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 06:41
I live in the area work full time it is good that theyre helping families that need it ie pensionersand people that are genuinely struggling but trust me when you go through the villiage and you see these people going in bookies sat outside pubs drinking and smoking there cigs and drugs it makes your blood boil people that work pay taxes to pay benefits its about priorities ive lived on benefits have family on benefits and in my opinion much of them are better off than people working for a living there is jobs out there but when your better off living on benefits why would they give them up!

Reply Posted by judgemental or what!! on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 09:28
Wow all you calling people that are on benefits scroungers and scratters I just hope you never get laid off or have to leave your job for any reason because until youve actually been in that situation how can you judge???? The majority of people on benefits would do anything for a job.. and when people say your better off on benefits than working well I suggest you quit your job go on benefits and see how long you last! Ive got a job but have been on benefits and when I was I couldnt afford heating or food.. and no, I dont drink or smoke or have sky tv I remember going 4 fays with no goid onve so get off your high horse stop judging and be grateful fir what you have!!! This shop will help loads of familys who can maybe put their heating on for abit longer sbd nake sure there is a hot meal on the table.. by the way I do agree that some people abuse the benefits system but that is the minority. . The majority would do anything to find a job.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 09:43
Use the shop if you can mate, and good luck for the new year. Stay positive!

Reply Posted by Hollie on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 09:31
I have 2 disabled children and I'm on Benefits, and according to most people who have commented on this, that makes me scum ! I've lost count of how many jobs I've been turned down for because of my family situation. My son has special needs and it's near impossible to find a child minder for him. I challenge anyone of you name calling idiots to change places with me for 24 hours, then tell me I'm lazy, or any of the other names being thrown around. Do I smoke ? Yes. Drink ? No, I've got children to care for. Drugs, only ones from the Doctor that are saving my life. Jobs out there ?? Do me a favour mate, for every job the applicants run into the hundreds. I wouldn't use this shop anyway, not because I don't need help, but because of the shame most of you would make me feel..

Reply Posted by ivy on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 09:41
Hollie, you know those comments are not meant to get at you, you don't fit into that category. You stand proud by your little family and if you need the shop use it. Be happy that you can and hold your head up,some people can't look after their kids who are able bodied. Be proud love.x

Reply Posted by Hollie on Thursday December 12 2013 at 09:29
Sorry, but these comments seem to be aimed at anybody who's out on benefits. Do I 'stand proud by my little family', yes I do, but people on here have a tendency to judge, and there's really no need for all the name calling. I mean what are we, 5 yrs old ?

Reply Posted by ivy on Thursday December 12 2013 at 10:30
Ignore them hollie. You know the situation you are in and don't try and justify it on here because there are a lot of people with closed minds. I hope by reading some of the comments on here that some people will take time to consider others less fortunate.

Reply Posted by Hollie on Monday December 16 2013 at 05:07
That won't happen, because unless it affects them, they're not interested. The present day mentality proves the saying that " United we stand, divided we fall"

Reply Posted by Dean on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 09:46
One of the drives to gain employment is the opportunity to have 'what you want'. One of those wants is particular foods that you like. If we make these wants readily accessible to everyone, regardless of financial situation then where is the drive to gain employment or to improve your situation financially. I earn around 25k per year, but to be honest, paying for everything I need in terms of bills, food etc, subsidising public transport by paying peak fares (as I travel in rush hour) and now seeing things like this, unemployment is starting to look sweet. In all honesty, people should feel shame for going to this shop, its a shop for people with no prospects who have accepted the fact that they cant afford to live like the rest of us due to poor financial management. And hollie, get off your horse, there are people out there in worse situations than you. I'd change places with you for 24hr, as would a lot of employed people. The stuff you have to do for your children would only be a struggle if you also had a job to hold, you have all day and all night to plan and prioritise their wellbeing and if thats a struggle then thats probably why you find it hard to get a job.

Reply Posted by Hollie on Monday December 16 2013 at 05:19
I'll climb down off my horse when you do Dean. Unemployment is anything but sweet,and I'm aware of people having it worse than me, but when I come across someone who is, I don't resort to judgemental name calling. I have all day and night to plan and prioritise my childrens well being ? I have one child who requires 24 hour care, and the only thing I struggle with is attitudes like the ones shown on here

Reply Posted by Dale on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 09:47
What's all the fuss about Asda own brands are cheaper , and just as nice ,

Reply Posted by mags on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 10:12
its the amount of money coming into the house that tax credits are callculated on unique so if you think its the hrs someones pulling your plonker love

Reply Posted by unvelievable on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 10:13
wow!! the comments on here...i feel half of them are bitter due to not being able to get a card' for the shop as such... you are having a go at the unemployed and employed in 1 go here though...seem to be presuming its just 'doleys' as its been said...i bet 90% of people on here recieve some sort of benefit yet dont seem to realise it...the time may well come when you find yourselves being made redundant with how things are... then what....oh and if you dont qualify for any tax credits to the poster earlier due to husband working too many hours then well learn to budget as if you are over the maximum income threshhold for tax credits then its ample enough to live on so probably living beyond your means trying to keep up with the jones's as they say :-/

Reply Posted by Dean on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 10:31
I've been made redundant, also been sacked, also had a company liquidate from beneath me... I got another job.. People who are stating you dont know what its like to lose a job, do you think we have had one job in all our lives?

Reply Posted by unbelievable on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 10:20
also theres job vacancies too at the shop for people from the local area and if people take the time to read the full story theres also debt management...job search... and other things tied into this and nobodys just given a magic card to spend as they will... and to a very early reply on here....how is the food given free to the shop because of the charity sob story? does it get there via magic carpet? staff work for free? no overheads....omg narrowmindedness at its finest :-/

Reply Posted by golys finest on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 12:52
Str8 arta dudly or pidge onto main street forra bag a smack from criggsy then call in for mi tea cheerz owd cokka

Reply Posted by Justin on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 15:17
I hope the government does win, i think personally if the society in this country would stop fighting the government instead of trying to full fill there own political agenda which clearly we don't know every aspect, our country will be alot better off, so if they want to open this store to try help let them dont argue about different solutions like government is doing it for cash in there pocket, end of day this store is a really big step forward. This is a great idea one of best :)

Reply Posted by hard worker on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 16:31
if the day ever comes that im so jelous of the unemployed that i have to come on sites like this and publicly slate them and call them names that will be the day i take every pill i can get my hands on and lay down and die,its absolutely disgraceful the way people lucky enough to have employment are behaving,how can you possibly envy the unemployed

Reply Posted by Bodger on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 19:14
@hard worker; 'lucky enough to have employment', are you for real my pedigree chum?? What about working hard/studying/paying attention at school.. to Deservedly EARN a job?? That's part of our problem here, chips on shoulders, expecting everything to be given to us upon a silver platter.. Cheap food, employment.. Wake up people! Nobody is going to walk through life with everything handed to them, earn a job! Study, pay attention at school, get an apprenticeship/trade etc. Thick as custard you lot.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 20:40
As these cheaper items are supermarkets own brands,why are they not sold at their own shops on sale? Why are the people on benefits being segregated? I don't like the way this is all going. It makes me think that this is the start of ghettos? Different shops for the unemployed, its sounding like class separation, and that's not right! Its being made out to be great news,but its embarrassing! Imagine being in work all your life,then thru no fault of your own,the job is gone. Suddenly you can only afford to shop in a social supermarket? Even the name of them is pointing out that you are on social benefits. What next? Folk on benefits must sit at the rear of our buses? Its ringing my alarm bells, am I over reacting?

Reply Posted by jaze on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 20:56
Sid you could be right. but it already happening in my local pub.All us doleys sit in the tap room and the workers in the lounge..alarm bells ringing

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 20:59
That's untrue jaze, workers can no longer afford to go to the pub. That's why they've all shut! The doleys buy a couple each night, I know that cos my dad did the same! Nowt to be proud of jaze matey.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 20:51
Just a thought,if the grimethorpe asda is changed to a social supermarket, then only the grimethorpians would shop there. Thus,in my mind screaming grimethorpe is a place of no wealth and not worthy of an ordinary shop. That's wrong!

Reply Posted by Cudworthlad on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 21:12
No sid, they should just get a job, the dirty scratters.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 21:18
There are lots of news houses and new families now in grimethorpe,the place is looking up. Many of them do now have jobs,surely we all benefit if grimethorpe keeps getting better. Yes there are problems there,but we can't allow places like these mining villages to become just fit for social supermarkets? We are all human and discrimination is a terrible thing when allowed to grow.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 21:25
As I came from a "scratters" family,I do know what I'm talking about. I had been embarrassed all of my youth and decided to better myself at all costs. Now I'm a proud kinda guy,but I never forget the struggles for the kids. It may have been the ultimate embarrassment for me if all my friends parents shopped at Morrison's andwe had to shop at tthe social supermarket,god,I shudder to think. Its social discrimination and its wrong.

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 21:34
Sid. Always look on the brightside of life de dum de dum.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 21:36
Haha,yes a bit down hearted I know Kilkenny, but its my view. Just think its wrong that's all.

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 21:40
So sad Sid.Thought I was watching a soppy movie,,Ah never mind still Panto to look forward to!

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 21:43
Silly bugger.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Thursday December 12 2013 at 08:39
Hello LOL. Thank you for posting in my name. At least you didn't post anything offensive this time. I beg you to sort those grammar issues out though. Pretty please?

Reply Posted by Amazed on Thursday December 12 2013 at 12:26
Truly amazed at some of the comments on here, this isn't anything to do with the government for a start, it's a local businessman helping out people who are on low incomes. Why anyone would begrudge people feeding themselves and their children for less money is beyond me! How can it be a bad thing?? Craziness!!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday December 13 2013 at 11:31
Totally agree mate.
The Tories and their right wing propaganda arms such as the Sun and Torygraph call unemployed people "scroungers" "layabouts" etc etc and idiotic people believe every word of it.
As far back as 30 years ago we all had " a job for life" these days we are lucky if we get a days work here and a days work there.

It is inevitable that at some point in our short lives we will have to throw ourselves at the mercy of the welfare state and I for one would not begrudge any unemployed person on £60 or £70 odd quid a week the chance to get a good hot meal in their bellies for little money.

Half of the snipers on here will probably never had the pleasure of trying to eat, heat their homes and buy clothes on £70 odd quid a week, perhaps if the shoe was on the other foot then they would be the first to get down to the social supermarket.

Would people honestly begrudge a pensioner who is frightened to death to put their heating on the chance of a cheap warm meal?
That is the choice that many pensioners face in todays Tory Britain, heat or eat!

stop bloody moaning you imbeciles, stop reading the Sun and get on with your sad pathetic lives.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday December 12 2013 at 12:58
I missed that part @amazed. I can see it in a different light now.

Reply Posted by Sue on Thursday December 12 2013 at 23:16
I think that John Marron is doing a very helpful plus thoughtful thing and whatever anyone does there is always people ready for the kill, he has come up with this venture to help people and all every one is doing is to complain. It is discusting that our country has to stoop so low as to need these Food Banks and Charity for our low paid.