Cut-Price Supermarket Set To Open

Friday December 6 2013

BRITAIN'S cheapest supermarket is set to open in South Yorkshire next week - but only for 500 specially selected customers.

Items at the Goldthorpe store will be a third of normal prices, with stock supplied from major chains such as Asda, Morrisons and Waitrose.

The idea has been developed by Tankersley-based Company Shop and its chairman John Marren.

Goldthorpe was chosen as the location for the first, in what is scheduled to be a whole chain of community shops, because it's an area of high deprivation.

The ‘social supermarket’, which opens on Monday, has been set up as a pilot scheme to help struggling families.

All of its 500 customers will have to be on a specified list of benefits and will initially be given a six-month membership.

Organiser Sarah Dunwell said: "We're aiming to fill a gap between food banks and mainstream retail. Lots of families are not in such an emergency situation but are on the cusp of food poverty.

"It's for anyone who's claiming any of a list of benefits. It's not just about the long-term unemployed but hard-working families who are struggling."

It will enable shoppers to buy cut-price food and luxuries that would otherwise be thrown away by big retailers.

The supermarket will not sell alcohol or tobacco, but will use products rejected by stores for a variety of reasons, including damaged packaging or incorrect labelling.

Sarah added: "We will have staples such as sugar, pasta and rice but also more expensive goods such as French cheeses, ready-made lasagne and desserts and household products.

"This isn't cheap food for the poor. It takes stuff that will not make it to supermarket shelves and uses it to feed people who need it most."

Reply Posted by Tony on Friday December 6 2013 at 09:58
Oh here we go, cue more worker against unemployed nastiness

Reply Posted by polly on Friday December 6 2013 at 10:32
Well done to John and Sarah, thank you for helping out the less fortunate. It is such a shame that many sceptics will do their utmost to undermine what you are both achieving. So proud of you both, you are the proof that Barnsley isn't all closed minded people.

Reply Posted by Betty on Friday December 6 2013 at 10:33
I work Kilkenny and shop at Waitrose,i do not think I am better then anybody else.People choose to shop at any outlet there like.you sound such a vile person and comments are very uneducated. If people want to eat jam and bread it is there choice..stop pulling people down,You are no better than me..

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Friday December 6 2013 at 10:59
Betty (LOL) - learn to read love. Where have I pulled anybody down in my post? You are vile.

Reply Posted by Betty on Friday December 6 2013 at 18:01
You pull everybody down Kilkenny.nasty evil women..disgrace for a female species!

Reply Posted by Jack on Friday December 6 2013 at 19:27
Well kilkenny you seem to pull everyone down. That makes you scum. That also means that everyone else is better than you, especially Betty who is too modest to acknowledge the fact. Well said Betty.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Saturday December 7 2013 at 00:26
Betty - get a life love. There is no Waitrose in Barnsley and never will be.

Reply Posted by Betty on Saturday December 7 2013 at 10:17
Kilkenny-Were in my post have I stated Waitrose Barnsley.You ignorant species.

Reply Posted by Betty on Saturday December 7 2013 at 10:22
Kilkenny for your information Waitrose Heeley ,Sheffield.15 mins by car.YES I work and can afford a car..Not like you.Probably a drop out and a keyboard warrior..

Reply Posted by me on Saturday December 7 2013 at 10:55
Handbags !!!!!!

Reply Posted by def not me on Saturday December 7 2013 at 13:50
me.wrong post..you sould be on the RADLEY BAG.STORY.FOOL!

Reply Posted by Ban it on Saturday December 7 2013 at 17:17
This is so wrong what benefits do they need to claim as a lot of people earn less than £20,000 a year but still have all bills and pay normal prices for food nowadays you really are better off on the dole and claiming than out working and let idiots like me who work 6 day weeks to pay for you everybody who works must do it for pride as wages aren't paying

Reply Posted by bring it on on Saturday December 7 2013 at 17:27
I don't work and got a card for the shop..All I here is IT PAYS TO WORK,i don't think so..

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Sunday December 8 2013 at 22:41
Hello Betty - no I ain't a drop out love. Got a nice mews house in Maida Vale. Now go **** yourself. I don't think for one minute you shop in Waitrose. Jack Fulton is nearer the mark. I hope you don't have any kids. The poor fuckers are probably fed chips every night.

Reply Posted by Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:38
500 members? Goldthorpe? Rest of Goldthorpers will just have to help themselves then, see the next story about this "New Shop Burgled/Ram Raided/Whatever."

Reply Posted by T on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:39
"you really are better off on the dole" NO THANKS. I work and only earn £11,500 a year but I'd rather do my job than have no social life and I bet most people who sign on would do the same given half the chance. Also, those people who have kids WOULD BE absolutely stupid to sign off and take a job that clearly isn't going to cover the costs they have to pay out each month. If I were in the same situation then I wouldnt sign off either if it was going to put me in debt with bills etc...

This supermarket is a brilliant idea for those struggling, I don't give a toss if someone on benefits brings in more money than me. If it helps someone in need then I'm happy.

Reply Posted by Anon on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:39
Even more for the dole wallers then. What about workers that dont earn a lot, don't receive benefits and still have to pay full price for food. How come the won't work let's sponge on the system get everything. Sorry but it's wrong. Force them into some kind of work paid or not make them earn that privilege of shopping there. And if they refuse stop the money!! In fact just stop the money anyway!! Sponging dole wallers

Reply Posted by Adam on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:42
What annoys me with this is its not the fact that people on benefits are entitled to go, but I bet you I am struggling more than someone on benefits and I work 40 hours a week and so does my partner... this government and local council is messed up!!

Reply Posted by T on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:46
Well it can't be that bloody hard because I'm on less than 12k, I have a car, I have gas, water, rent, electricity, council tax to pay and I shop at ASDA. Im also in ZERO debt. It's called budgeting and being realistic with spending. Stop hating the idea that is HELPING other people. Christ! Some people are never happy!

Reply Posted by M on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:47
Learn to read articles before jumping on the benefits bashing band wagon! Either I'm reading something different to you lot or you aren't reading it all. It's not all about long term unemployed but gard working families too!
Not all benefit claimants are lazy. Some have genuine reasons for claiming. Sadly the government have made it too cushy for those lazy people to claim. And they fail to help those wanting to help themselves.

Reply Posted by nici on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:47
How have the 500 been chosen ? There's hard working families that would benefit from being able to use this shop aswell, as you have to work for certain companies to be able to get a card for the company shop at Tankersley ..

Reply Posted by anon on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:51
Think its very unfair that people on benefits some getting more than me a month I work 40 hours a week and get 1000 a month at the end yet people on benefits are more well of than me where is the help that we should get for going out and working struggling to keep up yet I know a lass on benefits and she gets nearly 2000 a month whats all that about then the government is screwing us over enough is enough

Reply Posted by Dats a shock on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:56
So have I got this right? Anyone on benefits can go to this shop? What a fabulous excuse not to find a job. I mean it couldn't have been any better thought out, than if the idea was put together in the dole office que! The workers must pay extra again, no incentives for anyone to go to work! The people with kids who may have thought about returning to work even though the wages are not ging to make them any better off, so they could set an example to their kids. Are deffo going to think twice about it now! Cheaper food and a day with jezza Kyle? Or work? Mmmm! Tough choice for then to make! Goldthorpe is a deprived area for a reason, this supermarket is not helping!

Reply Posted by julie on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:03
it seems 500 families( I assume that what it means) in th egoldthorpe area are going to be trailling this adventure but methinks it may put neighbour against neighbour in th evillage as some will qualify and some wont and of those that may have qualified some may be missing out as I am sure that more than 500 families in that locality will be on some kind of benefit thats on the raft of qualifying benefits mentioned in hte article - Somebody somewhere has not thought this through well enough - yes the idea in prinicple is a very good one in this day and age and may ease the burdenon the foodbanks but mark my word there's trouble brewing because of the situation -

Reply Posted by Sasha on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:03
Maybe people should look at the positives of that it may only be 500 people but its 500 more families that are going to be fed i doubt its going to be an amazing choice of foods that half of us who can afford the regular supermarkets wouldn't buy anyway. we see just calling to the shop as a regular day to day occurrence some people have to go without food just so they can feed there children. I doubt its going to be the young adults that dont want to work, living with hard working parents or the ones who are sat at home spending there money on partying or drugs all day more the ones that are showing there trying to get a job and just cant or some that have unfortunately been made redundant and are struggling to make ends meet. Some of us don't know how lucky we are we all complain but in reality compared to some families we live in luxury.

Reply Posted by Robbo on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:15
People who are on benefits for no other reason than they are single parents with young children, disabled, can't find work, are the ones that suffer through people that are claiming benefits for no other reason than they are idle, claiming illegaly, defrauding the government. I applaud the shops that supply to the Goldthorpe one. However, lets be realistic. It would also saves these companies the cost of dumping the goods through waste, so it also saves them money.
But how is this shop in Goldthorpe going to make sure that the people it's there to support are the correct ones? Who, ultimately, is going to play God and say who can be a member? Even the benefits system can't get that right

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:15
i wish some one would define the word poverty!!!!............ most of the countries population is on some sort of benefit, and trust me, they are no worse of than some working families, years ago, has a single mother i was on benefits, and yep, with Housing Benefits, council Tax benefit, child allowance and single persons benefit, plus what my ex gave, i was definately not poverty struck, mainly because i put my priorities into perspective, i only went out once a month, i got my clothes from charity shops, i did'nt smoke, which enabled me to give my children a holiday every year, pay my bill's, clothe my children and feed them a healthy diet, then once they were of school age, i went out and got myself a part time job, to work round my kids, and declared it to DSS....... Boom !!!, gone was my benefits, i could claim working tax credit, but by the time i paid full rent and council tax, i was actually £12 a week worse off, but going out to work put me back into the community and mixing with others instead of 2 yound kiddies did me good, my kids are now grown up and i'm still doing the same job, my point is, there is alot of families out there, who choose to work who are actually worse off than being on benefits........... maybe the goverment should start helping them for a change

Reply Posted by J. on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:29
I earn about 10k per year.. my partner earns even less. We both work full time in shite jobs. Like someone said in a previous comment, I have a car, a nice house, always have food in the cupboards and gas/electric to keep the house warm and I shop at asda. What ever your earnings if you budget you can live comfortably. And for that reason this supermarket is a great idea because it will help those who are financially suffering by taking away some of the expense of food shopping. Excuse my language but it fucks me off that most people just feel that they are automatically entitled to everything and that if someone else has something they dont have they are hard done by. I won't be eligible to shop in one of these supermarkets but I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone else the opportunity.

Reply Posted by mel on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:34
Well im on benefits and ive not been othered this so not all benefit people are getting this i dont drink or own a flat screen or wear designer clothes nor does my child she will be getting only one lil present from me for xmas cause i cant afford anymore than that so dont label all benefit people the same my house is full of 2nd hand or free furniture cause i accept and make do and hey im disabled but dont even get money for that cause i refuse to take a carer help

Reply Posted by anon on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:35
There getting food sent from waitrose etc which some people cannot afford who work full time im sticking by all the full time workers out there and saying WE DESERVE MORE THAN PEOPLE WHO SIT ON THEIR BUTTS

Reply Posted by CRIPES on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:36
People should be greatful that something like this is able to help 500 people, rather than not being able to see beyond the end of their own arses and complaining at every given opportunity.
However hard done by you think you are, there is always someone unfortunately worse off. Do not begrudge helping them.

Reply Posted by Cripes on Monday December 9 2013 at 09:47
@anon with that attitude you don't deserve more than anyone.
Attitude because you can't have Waitrose food?!
I work full time and happily shop at discout supermarkert, because thats my budget. I would never begrudge anyone is worse off than me this opportunity. And would never assume these 500 sit on their arse all day.

Reply Posted by grotbags on Monday December 9 2013 at 10:28
I have a marrons card and i hardly use it. I think that unless you live on ready meals then its crap. The food is only one or two days left in date and i wouldn't touch any of the fresh stuff there. It doesn't save me any money at all. I can go to marrons and buy a load of stuff that i wouldn't normally buy, then go to asda for all my weekly essentials afterwards. For me, the only thing its particularly useful for is ready meals to take to work, that is a pound or two cheaper than the supermarkets.
I'm sure all the Goldthorpe Families will have Waitrose's Extra Special 'mislabelled' dauphinoise potatoes written first on their shopping lists...when they learn how to write.

Reply Posted by cripes on Monday December 9 2013 at 11:17
@grotbags Ignorance must be lovely for you.
Assuming that the people of Goldthorpe can't write is a real low.
No wonder Barnsley has a bad name when fools like you drag its people down.

The supermarket actually also offers services such essential literacy and numeracy skills, basic cookery courses, help with CV writing etc. if people think they need it.

Reply Posted by grotbags on Monday December 9 2013 at 12:36
You condemn my assumption, then add that the supermarket is offering literacy and numeracy classes. I'd say my assumption is quite close to the mark, actually.

But aside from being a dick, the extra services are a good idea. However, you are basing your positvity for this new shop on rational choice theory. This is stupid. Cheaper, affordable food is a good thing, but the focus on leading a healthier lifestyle needs to be pushed. The demographics of an area such as Goldthorpe may suggest that leading unhealthy lifestyles puts people at risk of developing long term conditions such as obesity and diabetes; and a shop selling discounted ready meals, cheap packs of misshaped biscuits and inedible fresh produce doesn't really promote that in my opinion.
I could be wrong. I hope i'm wrong. But, in twelve months time, i'd like to see some evidence to show that this scheme has actually been a benefit to our society, and not just a way for the unemployed to continue draining the country whilst eating the Tesco's finest.

P.S. I am not tarring all of the unemployed with the same brush. I am aware that some may have a genuine reason or being unable to work, for example people with a debilitating health conditions or family/childcare circumstances. But everyone can also admit, that on the other end of the spectrum, some people who are able to work have no intention of doing so, and it can be quite frustrating to witness when you work very hard to pay your way through life.

Reply Posted by C Wood on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 14:15
Has anybody thought a lot of companies won't take on a single parent? I applied for 7 jobs and all said no because I would be off if my children were ill. I want to work but the only jobs willing to hire me require me to work after 7pm when I have no child care. It's the stuck up bosses in companies that are to blame for most of us still having to live on benefits.

Reply Posted by Dean on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 15:17
Maybe try not informing them that you are a single parent... Do you have children? Yes.. done