Skate Park Finally Set To Be Built

Thursday December 5 2013

A LONG-AWAITED skate park will finally be built in Barnsley.

After working with a committed group of skaters and BMX riders for the last year on the design, the council are looking to have the park up and running by Easter at Dearne Valley Country Park, Hoyle Mill.

Cllr Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson, said: "I’m pleased to be able to announce that work will start shortly on this much sought after skate park.

"This will be Barnsley’s largest and first in-situ concrete park and will cater for all skill levels. I know that there are a lot of skaters and BMX riders who will be looking forward to using it."

The park has been funded by £100,000 Section 106 housing development money.

Cllr Margaret Bruff, a former youth worker, said lots of locations had been considered.

She added: "We looked at putting it at the Twibell Street end of the Dearne Valley Park, near Harborough Hill, but it wasn’t far enough away from residents.

"We’ve opted for it to go near the car park and play area at the Hoyle Mill end of the park.

"Kids can come from all over because it’s very accessible by road and foot."

Work will begin at the start of January.

Reply Posted by bananas on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:19
brill news councillor miller. just what Barnsley needed a skateboard park. sod all the potholes in the roads.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:31
I thought all repairs to playgrounds were not to be funded due to cut backs? Can't knock it though,it,all give the kids something to do. Just seems odd.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:32
Brilliant, something for the youth. However perhaps of word of caution, the majority of youths using these facilities will be a great bunch, there are though some that don't care. Also what about the litter that this attracts, will resources be put in place to ensure bins are emptied / used!?
Doesn't Section 106 monies come from builders to support community projects like this, rather than roads?!

Reply Posted by dan on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:33
This is a good idea. Children deserve and need outdoor places like this!

Reply Posted by Kezzy on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:39
Great idea but it will probably end up looking like the one nearby in Lundwood, teenagers love to use it but also like to vandalise it.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:48
Some teenagers like to vandalise it, also I know first hand that the one in Lundwood has issues but not just because of teenagers, young kids and 'adults' also have a part to blame in the state its in!

Reply Posted by dan on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:43
They can get bad with rubbish and graffiti but to be fair that's not just skate parks, lots of kids play equipment is covered in graffiti. I think it depends who you are as to whether this bothers you. Its their environment let them express themselves, it doesn't hurt anyone. Maybe if they can spray all over their ramps they wont be doing it all over bus stops!

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:50
Good idea dan, let the kids themselves 'decorate' the structure as they see fit, without the obvious profanities!
I worry more about the fact that a 'green space' may get spoilt with the litter that this could bring!

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:46
Please don't associate skaters with the vermin you see drinking 50p / litre cider whilst sat on the top.

Thank you.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:52
Well said!

Reply Posted by anonnynonny on Friday December 6 2013 at 12:54
most of the skaters I know are far from wreckless kids they're adults who take their kids with them & have taught a new generation of skaters, keeping them off the streets & as for graffiti........get some proper local graff artists to decorate the place then hopefully it wont get tagged with obscenities like every other wall in the area! If this council legalised some places to paint Barnsley could be a colourful place to live like other modern towns/cities instead of neanderthal pit mentallity tarring all can art as vandalism!
Rant over.

Reply Posted by dan on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:47
@Anonymous ....fair point!

Reply Posted by dan on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:52
@dedatodd - yeah the council need to be committed to dealing with the rubbish

Reply Posted by Steve on Thursday December 5 2013 at 10:58
We alredy have a skate park in Cudworth, it only took a couple of days for it to be vandalised and have graffiti daubed all over it, it is now frequented by low lives on scooters and drug addicts late into the night, spoiling it for the young ones.

Reply Posted by Anon on Friday December 6 2013 at 21:04
Lol, that aint a skate park dude its a waste of space

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Thursday December 5 2013 at 11:01
I would prefer an indoor park to keep people like that out. But this looks like a fairly decent place to skate. Close to home. It's just whether, like you said, it gets taken over by addicts.

Which I've never seen the point to? Instead of getting smacked up in a house, keeping it hidden. They feel the need to go to a public area? Idiotic...

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday December 5 2013 at 11:08
My son was hoping for an indoor park, and to be honest we toyed with the idea of trying to set one up ourselves.
My son has spoke to the police and the 'youth workers' that visit the Lundwood site and also I have spoken to councillors on his behalf, just to get lights at the Lundwood site! But some local councillors not impressed but we did get the buy in from a new councillor (just not the funds).
This scheme will make him happy, as happy as a 15 year old can be!

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Thursday December 5 2013 at 11:12
I've been to the Darton park a few times. And that's not too bad. You get the occasional group, but they seem to disperse quite quickly.

Although I've been to the Wombwell one as well and it's like a party at the Job Centre

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday December 5 2013 at 11:20
The lad skates all over, he just says 'good' or 'bad' and no detail.... Probably worried I'll try and stop him going. Lundwood is his local one, hence trying to do something about it!

Reply Posted by Craig on Thursday December 5 2013 at 13:04
sounds like you go round looking for kids.. now then now then..

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday December 5 2013 at 13:36
Hilarious!!!

Reply Posted by dan on Thursday December 5 2013 at 11:05
@Steve My kids frequent the one in Cudworth during the summer they are 12 and 14! I have been over there with them many times and never been in contact with low lives on scooters or drug addicts! The kids that frequent that particular skate park might not be angels but I think your being pretty judgmental labelling them as low lives.

Reply Posted by dan on Thursday December 5 2013 at 11:25
There has always been loosers hanging about in parks and always will be. If the Skatepark wasn't there they would go somewhere else. The Skateparks are aimed at kids probably aged 8+ so its not concerning that low lives on scooters spoil it for younger kids. If a parent is concerned about their younger child, then take them to a more age appropriate environment. Its brilliant that this areas are being developed for older kids. I completely agree with concerns over rubbish but If the only concern people have is graffiti then they need to get some real problems!

Reply Posted by Mini me on Thursday December 5 2013 at 12:02
Why whenever anything good is being done does everyone have to criticise all the time....jeez get a life!!! This is great news for most kids, give em a break not all kids are vandals

Reply Posted by Craig on Thursday December 5 2013 at 13:05
Roads need doing first, sorry but its a fact.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday December 5 2013 at 13:14
No one is arguing that the 'roads' need doing, however this money cannot be spent on roads!
We have vehicle excise duty that should be spent on the road infrastructure, I am not sure what percentage (if at all) BMBC get from this to pay for the road costs or if they have to fund that from local taxation?
But what we have here is a pot of money being used for what its supposed to be used for and towards all in the district!

Reply Posted by bar bar on Thursday December 5 2013 at 21:17
be full of needles in no time

Reply Posted by Lee moore on Friday December 6 2013 at 12:39
That's great news for the kids. Me and my mate opened a 8000 square foot one. In Brampton on the barnsley and Rotherham border called dexx skatepark. The kids love it. Check us out on Facebook.

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday December 6 2013 at 14:10
my son and his friends come from barnsley to this park Lee they think its the best one yet. They used to go to ardsley but discovered this one and last sunday there was a dad with his boy and he taught them allsorts of tricks on their bmx. Theyre going to upton indoor skate park this weekend hopefully wel get something like that in barnsley soon.

Reply Posted by chris on Friday December 6 2013 at 12:42
Its about time, they only planned on building one about 8 year ago, beats travelling to sheffield to go somewhere decent to skate

Reply Posted by ian forster on Friday December 6 2013 at 12:47
I for one thinks its about time we got a decent skate park myself and my kids skate. But do think it would be better if it was an indoor park then it would keep the riff raff and would I'm sure most people wouldn't mind paying to skate if it was in door and a good enough park so in time would make money (for pot holes) lol

Reply Posted by Dan on Friday December 6 2013 at 12:48
This isn't just for kids. I'm 22 and have been skating for nearly 10 years, and know many other people my age amd younger who would use this park for it's proper use. And personally if I'm at a park and I see asbos hanging about drinking/intimidating kids or just being a nusence I tell em to do one

Reply Posted by Lee moore on Friday December 6 2013 at 13:12
Dexx skatepark is a indoor skatepark. It's a safe environment for kidsThere's a cafe as well. Some where nice for parents to sit and watch there kids. Or they can leave them if they are over 12 knowing that they are safe.

Reply Posted by lance mountin on Friday December 6 2013 at 13:29
Only took them 25 years to do ....!(promises promises) it was supose to happen in the spring this year, Lets hope they are not an health hazard like the other half-hearted attempt they have done in the past ,get the youth involved in placement of the ramps they are the ones who have to make use of the park, use materials that are not going to get stolen and weighed in as scrap ... this town as a lot of underrate talent in this small town of ours it about time it was nurtured not condemned .....

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Friday December 6 2013 at 13:44
At last some positive / constructive views on this by those that will use it. Maybe I should ask my lad to teach me how to skate!!!

Reply Posted by sculls on Friday December 6 2013 at 16:02
I personally can't wait looks a really improved design to the last one,I'm 38 years old and been to many parks across the country and I personally believe graffiti is not a problem in fact it adds to the character ,brightens it up ,and the litter issue ,yeah sometimes there's litter but believe me it's not skateboarders in fact we take brushes to clean ,in our interest really because things get stuck under skate wheels and send u flying!,maybe educate the young scooter boy's and bmx lads,about this before you bring them if your a parent,

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Friday December 6 2013 at 16:12
Did you give lessons ;-)

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Friday December 6 2013 at 16:13
That should read, do you give lessons!!! Fat fingers!

Reply Posted by Jelly Beanz on Saturday December 7 2013 at 21:51
Fantastic - I wonder if they'll damage this as much as they did all the paving and stonework at Town Hall Gardens

Reply Posted by Alan B on Monday December 9 2013 at 16:15
How will this development impact upon the natural beauty and tranquility of the Dearne Valley Country Park?

Reply Posted by g on Monday December 9 2013 at 20:10
well done miller more yobs and vandals coming in to village but dont worry we only live here it will go same way as your new benches and tables TRASHED why dont you go all way and let travellers in then weve got em all drugies. wineoes. doggers and even homeless

Reply Posted by dave on Monday December 9 2013 at 20:15
it might get sum of silly little loonatics out of Barnsley interchange and on to scate park!

Reply Posted by gav on Monday December 9 2013 at 20:26
Great idea but will end getting vandalised n gratified people losing there Jobs Due to Cut Back Lets build a Skate Park

Reply Posted by craig on Monday December 9 2013 at 20:54
darfield could do with one for our kids

Reply Posted by Collet on Monday December 9 2013 at 21:31
Buggered if they do buggered if they don't ,all these parks that get vandalised,well don't forget them that do it have got mums and dads,name em and shame em the little cowerdley scum bags,possibly just like there parents.!

Reply Posted by Andy on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 01:04
Am 55yrs and saw a skate bmx park in benalmenda amazing our council should create one. The same not shabby ramps check the Internet out B4 comment

Reply Posted by Sarah on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 08:35
I do agree that kids need somewhere t go and there not all bad however in a small village such as Hoyle mill were the ppl are not of and age braket t enjoy it and kids will have t walk down bissy main roads in groups there is nothing else in the area no were t go if there is trouble because not all of them are saints

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 11:51
Where did my reply to @g go? I only commented that my son was neither yob or vandal?!

Reply Posted by POOR on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 12:04
WAB deletes lots of posts..sadly if it is not what there want to hear..delete..never heard of free speech WAB..

Reply Posted by kaz on Tuesday December 10 2013 at 19:26
Kids n somewhere to go yes i agree... Plenty of patlrks around and skate parks too so why not improve the one at cudworth or lundwood by enclising it to make it useable all year round? And maybe the kids that cant afford a bmx or skate board can free "loan one" may be an idea for a locall resident that has time to help ? I feel its a case of bmbc cant do right for doing wrong x