Carlton Still Deemed 'Inadequate'

Wednesday December 4 2013

Carlton Community College Carlton Community College

CARLTON Community College is still deemed 'inadequate' by Ofsted - despite a fifth visit from inspectors in two years.

Inspectors visited the school, on Royston Lane, Carlton, in November and observed 29 lessons taught by 29 teachers, scrutinised documents and met with senior leaders, staff and pupils.

The school was put into special measures in January 2012 - Ofsted's worst category of failing school - but progress since then, and the last monitoring inspection in May, is still inadequate.

A report on the latest inspection said a higher number of students left year 11 with five A* to C grades at GCSE, including English and maths, but found this was still too low and the school failed to achieve the government's minimum expectations for the attainment and progress of students at the end of year 11.

The proportion of students making progress as they should between years seven and 11 in English and maths is also 'far too low'.

The quality of teaching was found to be 'highly variable'.

Inspectors added: "There are still too many lessons in which students make inadequate progress, and too few where their progress is good or better."

It said pupils work well together but often activities and resources in lessons are dull, the pace is too slow and expectations are too low.

It said pupils were not given enough opportunity to work alone, and had become too dependent on teachers to tell them what to do next.

Poor behaviour in lessons was found to be a direct result of poor teaching and some teachers did not have a high enough expectation of what pupils are capable of.

Principal Sharon Bell said: "We were visited recently by Ofsted, when Carlton’s progress was judged to be inadequate.

"However, Ofsted noted that new systems, procedures and plans are in place and approved these.

"We're now beginning to see the impact of our changes so that teaching and student progress are improving at a faster rate.

"Our students are commended in the report and we're all working together with a notable community spirit and drive to ensure Ofsted see the success of our hard team work in their next visit."

Reply Posted by Kevin on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 10:56
It would need some very big changes to some teachers has they don't listen when faced with something that's happening in school I defo would not recommend the school to anyone I can not see any changes to anything bring on new teachers that know what there doing

Reply Posted by Barnsley Teacher on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 19:34
Well done BMBC for closing Royston High School and replacing it with CCC. CCC was doomed from the start. A blank sheet of paper given to the head of Edward Sheerien to create a staffing structure for all of her mates leaving the Royston staff out in the cold. Allowed to happen by Governors and BMBC and this is the resulting mess.

Reply Posted by Steevo on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 19:49
CCC was doomed from the start. Too many chiefs not enough good Indians. They need to look at the staffing structure before anything else. Too many overpaid useless SMT who are on too much money and incapable of doing their jobs. They need to restructure the leadership team and start from the top down. You need an extremely good head and SMT leaders in place before any changes can be filtered through to the kids. Schools don't turn out rounded kids anymore, it's all about GCSE's thanks to this useless government who haven't a clue about education. Gove wants putting on top of a bun fire he's absolutely useless. To raise standards and attainment in school, the message has to come from the top with dignity and transparency, then all staff have to adhere and follow procedures that are put in place. CCC don't even do work experience and they haven't a qualified Careers Adviser in place to help the kids make well informed choices regarding their futures. They got rid of an excellent Careers Adviser supposedly due to budget cuts, load of cods wallop if you ask me. Trim back the chiefs, put in performance related pay and they would save thousands. My son left last year with average GCSE grades, hi didn't have a clue what he wanted to do when he left school, nobody to talk to in school regarding career advice, was left to work things out for himself. Totally unacceptable to let any young person leave school without the understanding of how to fill in application forms, CV's, job interviews etc, like I said earlier we don't turn out rounded kids anymore to enable them to survive in this dog eat dog society we live in.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday December 5 2013 at 08:18
My son is in his final year at another one of these 'super' schools, I have had numerous discussions with his Maths teacher, bottom line, up until he joined the teaching was rubbish and as such my son and others have been let down. We are currently paying for a Maths Tutor to help him. Conversations with the tutor has opened my eyes, over a dozen changes to the education of our youngsters in less than a decade - both sides of the political spectrum have been fiddling rather than leave it alone. Its time for a long term policy for education (20 - 30 years) and political consensus and then leave it alone!!!
My son and his friends have asked to speak to a Career Advisor - he is still waiting, he doesn't know what he wants to do other than it isn't University and at 15 I can understand that.
He is a well rounded young man but that's down to my wife and I not the school as it should be!

Reply Posted by abbie on Friday December 6 2013 at 08:48
I attend that school and think its a disgrace, all the teachers care about is them selfs I hope that luckily I will get the gcses that I need to go to college. We don't really do work eitha!

Reply Posted by sarah on Friday December 6 2013 at 11:01
I have removed 2 of my kid from another of these super schools and put them in our local comp that is supposed to be just above inadequate but to be perfectly honest they are getting a far better education than my son who I left there as hes in yr 11. The maths department hasnt got a clue,no careers advice,they are allowed to roam around school instead of attending lessons which I have tried to speak with someone about to no avail. These schools are letting our kids down as the teachers are no longer allowed to get on with the lessons they have to think about costs of everything even down to how much it costs to go to the loo.

Reply Posted by Nick on Sunday December 8 2013 at 19:07
My daughter attends CCC, she phoned me in her science lesson, I thought she was getting beat up in the playground it was so noisy, I asked what the teacher was doing, she replied nothing. I have seen photos of kids asleep on their desks while the teacher sits staring into space.

Reply Posted by melv on Sunday December 8 2013 at 19:27
it like a zoo that place
,and they all act like loonatics on the bus.

Reply Posted by claire on Sunday December 8 2013 at 19:49
Ccc disgusting my son suffers from disability of adhd hes below par n of he asks questions to help hes put in resources dept hes been excluded for stating in refelection kids throw chairs do word searches this isnt punishment its a bloody holiday camp n yet as a parent im been told how to punish my child who wants to learn at school ...over staffed over paid crap teaching crap school ive even been refused referal forms to take my son to a better school who have better resorcespto help him ...school is a joke

Reply Posted by paul needham on Sunday December 8 2013 at 20:54
my son goes to ccc he has this last year at school for his exams but they have put him on partial time half two while four this being the most important school year but mr evans who works at ccc deems him awaste of time it's time replace those like mr evans and bring proper school time back

Reply Posted by elaine on Sunday December 8 2013 at 22:09
my daughter attended this school and it did nothing for her told the heads of year the school was a complete waste of time and if she was in a lower year i would have pulled her out not a school i would and have not recommended

Reply Posted by abbie on Monday December 9 2013 at 08:25
My teacher said to me that us pupils "you dont need me to stand there and teach you just go on Google" that's stupidest thing I've heard as for what is on google half on it is rubbish

Reply Posted by Dale on Monday December 9 2013 at 18:25
im not being funny but every single teacher there is fully qualified and has experience and did fine in a smaller school, blaming the teachers is not the way to go.Teaching is one of the most stressful jobs out there, made worse by constant observations and being monitored. It is an impossible task to teach someone who does not want to learn. don't blame the teachers the area the school is in is one where learning is not accepted, some student can rise above this but are outcasts and often bullied. its a disgusting fact but true. putting the amount of students they do with one teacher is madness when 99% of them have no interest in learning or education and see this as a chance to be with their friends, these problem children make it harder for people who actually want to learn to get the support they need, or the pace moves too slowly for them causing them to get board and distracted this has been a problem for years in every school not just CCC.

I am not a teacher or a pupil but live in the area and left royston high and i see a lot of the year 11s of CCC drinking smoking and taking drugs.... this is disgusting and is more the parents fault than the schools. Its easy to say i cant control them when there 16....... parents managed this in the past, and i know several who do now, including my own at the time