Generous Footballer Donates To Group

Wednesday December 4 2013

Bobby Hassell Bobby Hassell

A BARNSLEY group that works with special needs children will be able to continue its work in 2014 thanks to a donation from Reds footballer Bobby Hassell.

Bobby, who is in his tenth season at Oakwell and is holding several testimonial events throughout the year, made the four-figure donation to Barnsley Little Stars but has asked that the amount remain undisclosed.

The group's founder Kerry Thompson said the donation will enable Little Stars to hold two monthly play sessions throughout 2014.

She said: "We're so delighted and thankful to Bobby for his generous gift. It came as a real surprise and means we can go ahead with our planned activities for 2014.

"It takes a lot of pressure off us as a group because we aren't a registered charity yet which means we can't apply for funding through the more direct channels.

"We will take the kids to Jungle Jym's in Barnsley twice a month on a Sunday afternoon. It's brilliant for the children but it's also a great place for parents and families to meet."

Reply Posted by June on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 13:31
Fantastic, what a great chap!

Reply Posted by mat on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 13:37
Pure class, what a legend

Reply Posted by Rachel McGill on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 13:55
What a class act he is. Deserves his honary title 'Sir Bobby'

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 13:56
If he was a real guy and did it out of the good of his heart then he would have donated anonymously instead of taking the media glory.

Reply Posted by Alex on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 14:12
Footballers usually get a bad name when they go spending fortunes on car etc but glad to see a bit of generosity from a great player. I don't know "Barnsley Little Stars" but I do have an autistic stepson who goes to Greenacres and know what goes in to helping kids with "special needs". Thank you Bobby Hassell.

Reply Posted by ... on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 14:15
@Purple Haze, why post a negative comment on something so positive? Its people like you who bring the town down. Maybe it was the group who informed the media because they are so grateful to what he has done for him?

True legend. Respect Sir Bobby!

Reply Posted by Speight tom on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 14:24
Take your negative comments elsewhere ... And give this man a knighthood, absolute legend!

Reply Posted by Purple Haze on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 14:45
The trouble with these blogs are that if I post a genuine comment regarding my opinion then I am instantly castigated. I stand behind my original post. Why does the man need everyone to know that he donated? He could have still done a good deed and forgone the fame and glory.
At --, I have always served this town including in my work, I am betting that you have never lifted a finger to help anyone but yourself. So I do not bring the town down by making a simple observation. So try growing up or thinking your comments through before posting. I f I wish to make a comment negative or positive then I will. Same to you Speight.
Too many people on here blinded by celebrity instead of seeing this for what it is - a media photoshoot for the above named footballer.

Reply Posted by ... on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 15:16
@Purple Haze ,I'm Sorry but who are you to say that I have never lifted a finger to help a person in my life? You know nothing about me... I regularly give my time and money to charities. Bobby is a devout Christian and helps a lot of worthy causes. You are being hypocritical of your comments now, you have said that he shouldn't publicise the work he does for glory and you have just stated that you regularly serve this town, your comments are redundant.

Fair enough if you were criticising him for not giving money or for something he hasn't done but criticising him for giving the money to charity? He is regularly publicised to get more people giving to charities he helps and I think we need more people like him.

Reply Posted by sweet on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 18:38
its comments like that.. from people like you.. thats stops people from giving money to charitys/ support groups... little hopeful charity is no longer running now .. and we finally have something else running.... as a parent of a severly disabled child who goes to greenacre we need the support even if its just a coffee morning ... thankyou bobby hassel for supporting barnsley little stars means alot to me

Reply Posted by hmm on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 19:28
Barnsley Little Stars requested that the donation be announced as it being in the local media gives them valuable publicity. Bobby wasn't keen but agreed as long as the amount wasnt announced because he didn't want the attention

Reply Posted by PISSOFFPURPLEHAZE on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 21:51
PURPLE HAZE@ Every post is negative.go back to your curtain twitching you sad person..what a positive story..well done.

Reply Posted by Tony on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 14:56
Purple Haze and Richard are currently in direct competition for the ' Wab cretin of the year' as you would expect Richard is streets ahead. So expect a lot of activity from the purple one folks

Reply Posted by Craig on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 15:09
He's hardly a celebrity purple. even if what you say is true what difference does it make anyway? he still helped the charity with a 4 figure donation thats more than you have given them or will ever give a charity. stop being negative about things that dont really matter.

Reply Posted by Craig on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 15:11
and just to add.. the charity is unofficial so maybe they needed the exposure to be come a mainstream charity. they all need a poster campaign and maybe bobby was in teh right place at the right time and agreed to help out.

Reply Posted by CDM on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 15:28
My family DO make use of the Little Stars group, and it is a valuable resource for families of children with disabilities. I myself have given time and effort to supporting the fund-raising of the group. Do I advertise the fact? Yes! Does it make me feel good to donate? Yes! Do I want people to know that I am giving to "Charity"? Yes!

And if this guy has made a donation, then I am all for him using that for self-promotion. He could just as easily found something else to do to promote himself - he didn't. He chose to support this cause and in turn, support many many families in this area. I say he's giving something to Barnsley, and I am really grateful for that.

Think I'll share this story on my Facebook and Twitter pages and websites - get the man some more promotion - not because of who he is, but because of what he did.

Thank you Mr. Hassell.

Reply Posted by Kerry Thompson on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 16:42
Can I just add, Mr Hassell did not really want me to say he had donated the money to Barnsley Little Stars. .he heard about us through a project we were doing and offered to help us. He was more than happy to donate the money so we could carry on hosting social events for our families to attend. I wanted to thank him publicily and so did the rest of the families who attend BLS. Without the funds it was quite likely that we would have had to stop what we were trying to achieve as we are finding it increasingly difficult to raise funds in the current financial climate and we have had to cancel a few fundraising events recently due to various reasons.. So again, a huge thank you Mr Hassell.

Reply Posted by Craig. on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 19:46
thank you also kerry. best wish's for you and everyone involved with the chairty this xmas. have an amazin 2014

Reply Posted by ... on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 16:51
Hi Kerry, Thank you for clearing that up. People such as Purple Haze just like to complain.

I hope you continue the great work and hope the charity is a massive success.

Reply Posted by Kerry Thompson on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 17:13
Thank you, we are hoping for the same and looking forward to what else we can achieve for 2014 :)

Reply Posted by You Reds on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 19:34
Purple Haze? You're a bit dim, aren't you? Bless.

Reply Posted by Woodbine on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 19:36
Nice one Bobby...

Reply Posted by Mac on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 22:19
Well done Purple Haze...managed to gain the attention that you so desperately seek. Your ignorance clearly knows no boundaries. Our football club and town are very lucky to have such a fine role model as Bobby Hassell. Don't let that stop you typing/trolling absolute bilge on here about him though sunshine.

Reply Posted by Redhaze on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 22:30
Where does it say he didn't want the amount published. That was Kerry's decision as they didn't have the official total at the time of speaking with the Chronicle. Kerry's aim was to get the story out about the group securing the funding to provide some much needed down time and the opportunity to access a support network of like minded people who are or have been going through a similar situation. Maybe you should try raising some money for a good cause it may help you to stop nit picking at such a good project run by VOLUNTEERS and made possible by a man who helps out with a lot of good causes.. can you say the same?

Reply Posted by Paul on Thursday December 5 2013 at 11:23
How ridiculous does purple haze and his comments look now? What an idiot!!

Reply Posted by saf on Thursday December 5 2013 at 14:04
A Barnsley hero!
Thank you Bobby. This is a great guy supporting a great organisation.

Not to be marred by fools/trolls like @purple haze

Reply Posted by leo on Thursday December 5 2013 at 17:45
Absolute legend. Great footballer, great man. Viva sir bobby!

Reply Posted by Sarah Barnsleyfc Wynn on Saturday December 7 2013 at 13:24
Bobby is always amazing with everyone we'll done sir you are a true gent

Reply Posted by Hicksy on Saturday December 7 2013 at 19:13