Campaigners Met With 'Hostile' Response

Monday December 2 2013

CAMPAIGNERS against the closure of Barnsley Central Library claim they were given a 'hostile' welcome by councillors at the Town Hall.

A group of about 30 protesters with placards and banners handed out literature and tried to reason with councillors ahead of the full council meeting, which took place last Thursday morning.

Campaigner Dave Gibson said: "One councillor screwed up the paper and threw it at me and many others didn't want to stop and listen.

"Most of them wouldn't even take our literature, it's as if they walked into the town with their minds made up that the library will be demolished.

"We want to start a dialogue with the councillors and at least get their reaction but at the minute we are the only ones doing the talking. It's been quite hostile."

Liz Grundy has been using the library for more than 30 years. She argued with councillors outside the Town Hall and labelled the proposals as a 'sham'.

She said: "I am incensed that the elected councillors of this town are prepared to knock down a building in great condition."

The council wants to demolish the 40-year-old building early next year to make way for a new £17million sixth form college.

The library would be temporarily moved to Wellington House before a new one is built in 2015.

Reply Posted by annie on Monday December 2 2013 at 12:34
Instead of building a new library why not move the library to the old sixth form college instead ?

Reply Posted by Mick on Monday December 2 2013 at 14:24
Having our council dominated by one political party, the same one as our MPs doesn't work in the interests of the people of Barnsley. They all fall into line & nod when Houghton says they should & stay quiet when projects fail or are against the wishes of the people who put them in power. It's our own fault really, most people don't bother to vote.

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday December 2 2013 at 14:26
Easy, don't vote Labour. It's time for a change Barnsley.

Only YOU can make the change.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Monday December 2 2013 at 15:12
I concur Fred, if only the populous of Barnsley woke up and smelled the coffee.
LABOUR HAVE DONE NOTHING, I REPEAT NOTHING FOR THIS TOWN.

Reply Posted by labour on Monday December 2 2013 at 15:19
Labour is doing fine!

Reply Posted by Mr Geppetto on Monday December 2 2013 at 14:43
Dave Gibsons nose must be growing, the way i saw it at the first consultations those opposed were loud ill mannered, childish and down right rude to some of the panel members, i.e. and didn't allow anyone but themselves to put their point across. It was a shambles.

Reply Posted by Carlo Collodi on Monday December 2 2013 at 19:00
So you choose to be ill mannered, childish and downright rude rather than put your point across. Are you a councillor?

Reply Posted by mr Geppetto on Monday December 2 2013 at 20:10
I sat and tried to listen being a library user myself I wanted to know the facts, shame I didnt get any, the council panel didnt offer enough in terms of the new library and the protestors just treated it as an excuse to shout their mouths off in a chaotic manner. Disgraceful and embarrassing if im being honest I won't be going back.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday December 3 2013 at 14:36
Name and shame the councillor that screwed up the papers. These parasites feed of the people of Barnsley.

Reply Posted by warrior on Tuesday December 3 2013 at 14:39
Kfc is right name them these people need bringing down to earth. Let us see if the people that elected this Councillor share there view. Find out which side of the fence they represent.

Reply Posted by ray on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 12:45
yeah name and shame I've a feeling he didnt exist

Reply Posted by Crazy Dave on Tuesday December 3 2013 at 16:21
Its an eyesore anyroad knock it down I say!

Reply Posted by kfc on Tuesday December 3 2013 at 21:57
I'm shocked no one has named the Councillors in question. I was going to ring them tomorrow and ask them why??????

Think I will pop to Library instead.

Reply Posted by SocialismDoesn'tWork on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 13:40
Is that the Dave Gibson that's been peddling the Socialist Worker crap around Barnsley for the last 25 years? Socialism is great in theory but it just encourages people to be lazy. Look at all the benefit scroungers cheating our generous welfare system.

Barnsley town centre needs a major facelift so if it means doing it building by building so be it. I understand the library's temporary home won't be ideal but long term they will have a nice new facility.

Reply Posted by Ray on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 15:15
Indeed it is, they spend more time making banners than doing anything for proactive change. you can also clearly see Mr Gibson actively blocking the route in and out of the Town Hall there, which must have been nice for all those that had nothing to do with it (including visitors to the museum and ordinary workers). Doesn't look like one of them is of working age and have all been stirred up by the crap that they have been peddling. Their motto should be "change isn't good"

Reply Posted by lizzy on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 15:15
Actually RAY, I was there and witnessed it all. if I knew his name I would name him. These councillors that 'work for us' are a disgrace. unfortunately just like todays MPs it's all about the money. And to think that years ago they didn't even get paid for this 'job'

Reply Posted by Ray on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 16:10
Well if you don't know his name how do you know he is a councillor then? And I'm sure out of the group someone knew who he was.

If you were going on the way you have been in the consultations I would have done the same shouting in peoples faces. I don't mind a protest but I was at the first consultation as a parent of a sixth form pupil and the behaviour of the protestors was a disgrace, you expect to be treated with respect but offer none back.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 15:23
Dave Gibson I'm sure you're self or another protester that was with you witnessed this alleged incident regarding a Councillor.

Has a tax paying law binding citizen I would like you to back your statement up with facts and name the councillor.

Put up or Shut Up.

Reply Posted by lizzy on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 16:48
Ray you seem to have a pretty low opinion of people to think someone would actually make this up! It did happen, I don't know his name, but it's shameful for a councillor to behave like that towards the very people he is paid (very generously) to represent! I was not present at the first consultation, so can't comment, but this was a very peaceful protest.

Reply Posted by lizzy on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 17:08
And for the record, I too am the parent of a sixth form student, and I very much welcome the plans for a new one, just not at the expense of a perfectly sound,fit for purpose building.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 17:43
The point I'm trying to raise is simple. If Dave Gibson want more public support for there campaign then the need to back up there statements with facts.

I'm more than happy to call the alleged Councillor in person and asked them to give there side of the argument.

But I need Facts and so does Barnsley voters.

Reply Posted by lizzy on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 21:57
The main focus here is the campaign to save the library, Dave was right to speak up about the uncooperativeness of the councillors, but I can't see the benefit of entering into slanging matches with individuals.

Reply Posted by ray on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 22:39
Why bother with facts when you can just contact the local rag/gossip site and hand over a sensational statement knowing full well the majority don't read past the first line. As I mentioned earlier the protestors behaved disgracefully the first consultation and I know of at least 2 a level students that will testify to that being they got shouted down by the mob whilst trying to put a reasoned case forward. How brave to shout at 2 kids

Reply Posted by lizzy on Wednesday December 4 2013 at 23:03
Like I mentioned in my previous post, this latest protest in question was a peaceful one, and the over top reaction from 'some' councillors was pathetic and very childish.

Reply Posted by Ray on Thursday December 5 2013 at 09:29
So you concede that your group behaved appallingly in the first consultation then? But you expect people to treat you with respect, maybe the councillor in question is tired of being harassed by your group.

The article itself mentions a "Liz Grundy" arguing outside the townhall with a councillor calling the plans a "sham" that sounds very peaceful barracking people as they go about their business.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Thursday December 5 2013 at 13:50
I rest my case.

Reply Posted by connor on Friday December 6 2013 at 22:12
Who wants library these days everyone uses Ereaders:/

Reply Posted by grimthor on Friday December 6 2013 at 23:59