Medical Notes Not Recorded During Woman's Death

Friday November 29 2013

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

A WOMAN'S medical notes were not recorded properly at Barnsley Hospital before she bled to death - just 14 hours after routine back surgery.

Andrea Green, 42, of Newman Avenue, Carlton, died in March 2010 following the surgery during which the wrong disc was operated on and a artery was damaged.

The court heard how some observations should have been done every 15 minutes as Miss Green was recovering from the operation, and how a nurse carried out observations, but did not record them.

Former assistant director of nursing Rachel Cooper said it was 'good practice' to record such notes and that staff are trained to do so.

She said she would have expected a drop in Miss Green's blood pressure during surgery and some cause of indication to be noted.

Other observations carried out hourly after the operation were also not recorded.

The last observations of Miss Green were done at 10.40pm, and Ms Cooper told assistant coroner Siobhan Kelly how handovers should include information including drug charts, issues or observations, the stability of the patient and any surgical or clinical instructions.

An investigation by the hospital into the death of Miss Green, which Ms Cooper contributed towards, made recommendations for the improvement of notekeeping.

The report contained information about the error made by Mr Aly Ismaiel, the orthopaedic surgeon who performed the surgery, the artery damage, and the fact that vital information such as Miss Green's blood pressure drop, raised heart rate and haemoglobin levels were not passed on.

A total of 21 recommendations were made, mainly to do with completing necessary documentation, and Ms Cooper said steps had been taken to make sure observations were recorded and noted.

The inquest continues.

Reply Posted by Robert Warburton on Friday November 29 2013 at 11:46
Mr Aly Ismaiel operated on me in 2008 and to be very fair, the gentleman did a sterling job. I am so sorry that this has happened, it is very sad and my condolences go to the family.

Reply Posted by Laura on Friday November 29 2013 at 14:04
You were lucky, I know of at least 8 people who's life his bodged surgery has ruined, not including this poor woman who died at his hands, the man is a butcher and should have been struck off years ago!

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday November 29 2013 at 21:56
Laura. Think very carefully about your post, Libel can be very expensive !

Reply Posted by To mr flintstone on Saturday November 30 2013 at 11:12
R DA 4 REAL.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Friday November 29 2013 at 18:01
Surely this sort of thing should not be happening in 2013. Surely this sort of thing should be routine before and after surgery.

My condolences to the family.

Reply Posted by mae brussel on Monday December 2 2013 at 00:38
Very soon barnsley general will be front page news and i dont mean barnsley chronicle.
Too many too often and nothings been done .
And the freds of this world thinks that ass licking will prevent it.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday December 2 2013 at 17:09
Fred is simply commenting on how he found no problems with his surgery! So dont understand why you are arguing a poor women has lost her life and st a young age. . Grow up and have some respect

Reply Posted by Dave on Monday December 2 2013 at 17:47
Not Ismaiel again! What does he have to do before we stop exposing patients to this man?

Reply Posted by Ash on Monday December 2 2013 at 19:40
Very unorganised hospital and dirty nurses don't seem to be trained to standards!

Reply Posted by Mandy Davies on Monday December 2 2013 at 21:40
The consutant in question has already been proven negligent and yet still allowed to carry on ruining peoples lives. I got a case going against that hospital after my husband was starved of oxygen for 20 mins and also his dehydration drip weren't connected for 8hrs . I wouldn't trust this hospital for any surgery what so ever x

Reply Posted by Jane on Tuesday December 3 2013 at 08:55
I have My reasons for not liking this Hospital, I don't have faith in them, I wouldn't trust them with My Dog!

Reply Posted by Jo on Tuesday December 3 2013 at 12:56
I went to school with Andrea and she was such a lovely lady,she came from a very close family and my heart goes out to them.! To think she was treated so poorly makes me both angry and very sad !

Reply Posted by j on Wednesday December 11 2013 at 23:05
i had same op by this surgeon, and was in for 3 mnths with an infection in my spine, and am still suffering from it 6 yrs later, if i had seen any such comments about him, i would not have agreed to have this surgery done, by him ,and would have asked to go to a different hosp