Bedroom Tax Campaigners Angry With Council

Tuesday November 26 2013

CAMPAIGNERS of the so-called 'bedroom tax' are angry that almost half of those who applied to Barnsley Council for help to pay their rent were refused.

The government allocated £364,513 to the council to help people who are struggling to pay their rent following a cut in benefits for people deemed to have a spare bedroom.

The council responded to a Freedom of Information request made by the campaign which disclosed that less than half the money available has been spent seven months into the financial year.

There were 1,449 applications made for discretionary housing payments so far this year and the FOI shows only 780 have been successful.

To date £151,646.83 has been paid out under the scheme and up to November 11 there was £188,908.88 left in the pot.

The FOI says it's anticipated the fund will be completely spent by March.

Fran Postlethwaite, from the campaign group, said when the payment is awarded it's usually only for a few months and tenants then have to reapply.

She's urging the council to do more to support those hit by the bedroom tax who are struggling to pay their rent.

"We're regularly meeting tenants who are unaware that they can apply for this help," she said.

Andy Hemingway, from Berneslai Homes, said leaflets and follow-up letters have been sent out which included information about discretionary housing payments.

He said more than 3,000 affected tenants were contacted between January to March last year, including home visits by housing management officers, which included providing information about DHP.

He said: "When people contact the rents team to discuss rent payments, if appropriate, the staff will advise them about DHP and send an application form."

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 11:42
That's probably because Labour never actually wanted to abolish the 'Bedroom Tax' which is something Labour themselves introduced.

They also had 47 Labour MPs failing to vote against 'Bedroom Tax'.

Labour don't care about their constituents. Time for a change to local council.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 17:02
Boring, Boring, Boring Richard.

More neo-liberal drivel, hey I have an idea, lets tell everyone in Barnsley to vote for the Tories or Lib Dems as they have such a FANTASTIC record of their time in office don't they?

I'll not mention the 10,600 people who have been killed due to the Tory welfare reforms.
I'll not mention that Ian Duncan Smith is the biggest LIAR in the entire HISTORY of the UK Parliament.
As for your beloved Nick Clegg, he is nothing more than a Tory pony and the Lib Dems will be cast aside to fourth division politics at the next general election.

Reply Posted by russ on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 18:21
right again steveo richard is boring boring boring

Reply Posted by dave moncrief on Friday November 29 2013 at 20:11
have to agree with both steveo and russ, Richard is soooo boring.

Reply Posted by redrew on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:47
So about half the money spent in just over half a year!

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 16:19
My last reply to this thread was censored by WAB so I will re word my response soon

Reply Posted by den on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 20:25
I think dicky is stuck on repeat

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 20:36
Shame there isn't more people like Richard on here tbh.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 21:04
Fred@ We got enough with one Richard(DICK) on WAB.

Reply Posted by christine kilkenny on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 21:38
Fred are you cloned with Dricky Ricky,All your post are boring,go back to the dark ages as you sound a right Victorian!!

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 21:34
All the protester should get a job, then they wouldn't have time to protest against a benefit reduction, NOT A BLOODY TAX !

Reply Posted by john on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 21:41
Richard and Fred,you win the award for the boring facts on WAB!

Reply Posted by Richard on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 23:09
Thanks John for pointing out that they are FACTS!

I think Steveo has been taking some illegal substances judging by his latest posts.

As for being stuck on repeat, sadly it takes the repetition to get through to the age old Barnsley tradition of voting for Labour....if they wake up and smell the coffee, they might just see a brighter future than that of whining about reduced benefits and foreigners taking our jobs etc. THAT is what is BORING!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 11:27
No illegal substances in this house pal, I think it is you that hath been on the old LSD my pedigree chum.

Again, just to re-iterate I am no Labour supporter and have actually agreed with you on many occasions with regard to how BMBC have decimated our once proud town AND totally agree that the people of Barnsley vote Labour as it is ingrained in the pshyche.

BUT, in order for people to vote someone new in there has to be a viable alternative and at present none of the main four parties bring anything exciting that is going to persuade anyone in our town to vote for them.

The constant slagging off Labour is the thing that really gets my goat with you and it does get somewhat tiresome.

Reply Posted by Farage on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 10:04
Vote UKIP.!!

Reply Posted by dan on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 11:50
Richard you need to wake up to the FACT there will NEVER be a tory council in this town end of. So you're repetitive tory guff is actually pointless

Reply Posted by Kfc on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 12:01
The working class needs to re-wind 100 years. We need a NEW party to represent our people and unfortunately all three main stream parties are all singing of the same hymn sheet.

Nothing will happen to after the revolution I fear will not be many years away.

Reply Posted by dan on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 12:39
Agreed Kfc the mainstream parties are as bad as each other. What is the answer? that is the million dollar question

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 14:20
@dan I for one am not a Tory, so wherever you are making your assumptions from, I can reliably tell you that you're misinformed.

My concern is that as Steveo has mentioned, there needs to be an alternative to Labour running the council. The constituents haven't tried anybody else in a VERY VERY long time, so how would they know any other local party wouldn't do a better job than Labour? They don't.

Steveo, you repeat yourself about Lib Dems soon to be relegated into 4th division politics. I think you are mistaken, they have significantly grown in numbers and their support is rapidly growing in areas up and down the country. I read recently at a by-election in Golcar that they were fed up with Labour and lost a seat to Lib Dems by a significant margin. Surely that says something?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 15:03
How do you make that one out then?

The Lib Dems now have the lowest party membership since the second world war, cant remember the figure of the top of my head mind.

The Lib Dems are nothing more than Tory ponies, especially that spineless little gimp Clegg, however, he isn't the only on that isn't fit to be the head honcho of the party, neither is milliband.

The only Lib Dem I begrudgingly admire is Cable as he is a cantankerous old goat.

There is no viable alternatives to the four main parties, UKIP are nothing more than ultra right wing Tories who have no tangible policies of their own, in fact if you look at their policies they are copied and pasted from the tories but even more ultra right wing and have Nazi esque undertones.

I think UKIP will pee all over the Lib Dems in the next election and rightly so.
(definitely NOT a UKIP fan By the way!)

The Lid Dems whilst being in partnership with the Tories have shown us that they are incapable of leading the country and have HAD to back down to the Tories on every major issue and as far as I am concerned they are FINISHED in british politics.

Reply Posted by jon on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 14:27
Richard have you just woken up? us workers been to work at 5am and done a shift already.

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 14:37
@jon just woken up? Whatever are you on about? Are you implying I don't work or that because you've done an early shift, therefore I haven't put any hours in myself?

Reply Posted by dan on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 15:01
So you're a Lib/Dem then? and are you saying give them a go then?

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 18:05
@ Steveo I'm pretty sure your information is inaccurate. You do talk a good game, but I seriously doubt your knowledge of this stretches far enough to support your claims.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 20:20
Richie poos, not very often I am wrong but, yes my information was indeed wrong on this occasion as it is the Tories who have the lowest membership now since the second world war.

"holds hands up"

Show you have finally shown your true colours as a "neo-Liberal" my pedigree chum, I have news for you old bean, they are finished in British politics and UKIP will most definitely smack their yellow botties at the next general election.

Care for a wager old chap?

Reply Posted by Rosie on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 20:32
I am anti tory we dont need them in we need them out now also i am protester yes i am looking for work single parent why should i pay for attic storage room the person on this page referring bloody tax must have their own house and ve no worries

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 21:22
Rosie, why should we have to pay for you?

Reply Posted by Fred on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 21:16
I'm anti scrounger.

You need to go back to school Rosie.

Reply Posted by Say YES to the bedroom tax on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 21:26
@Rosie

Next time you see Dave Gibson, ask him if he has got another t-shirt apart from the purple one he keeps wearing.

s

Reply Posted by Richard on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 23:16
Well, that's a turn up Steveo (you being wrong......and admitting it!)

Not sure why you're harping on about UKIP (although they would most likely do a better job LOCALLY than those fools in charge at present....but then so would my next door neighbour's cat!

@ Rosie, thanks for your contribution....it makes me sad that you are an additional statistic within the scroungers simply sitting back wanting to live off the state. Please explain why we should support you financially for your extra space? Regardless of whether we have "no worries" or not, we all have to pay our own way and not simply expect a free lunch and complain when you are asked to contribute into society.

At least the Lib Dems are paving a way for zero tax for minimum wage earners, to give people a fighting chance provided they are prepared to work for it!

Reply Posted by RIGHT on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 23:48
Never be a Lib Dem Ricky Boy,Shot themselves in the foot with all the student fees,never trust them , or the Tories all LIES!

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 23:50
@Richard you talk a lot of shite.Were do you get your so called FACTS? back of the Weetabix box..

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday November 28 2013 at 08:39
If I am wrong (not usually that often) then its far easier to hold ones hands up and admit ones misgivings is it not?

You bang on about Labour making a mess of our town (which I totally agree with) and you have shown your hand as a Neo- Liberal, I am pleased for you old bean.
However, take a look at Sheffield council, once a Labour council now a Lib Dem council and if you think that Labour have ballsed up in Barnsley then take a gander @ the Lib Dem stats for Sheffield, it is that funny it is almost unbelievable.
The term "couldn't run a bath springs to mind".

I speak about UKIP as they are going to trounce the Lib Dems in the next general election, and as Clegg the Tory pony has constantly shown that he is inept as a major political leader then that is exactly what he and the Lib Dems deserve.

As I said before, I'm more than happy to have a wager with you that the Lib Dems will get there arses kicked by UKIP at the next election.

Want a wager old chap?

Reply Posted by dan on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 23:42
Nah not having it Richard that you're a Lib/Dem ,you're far too right wing

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday November 28 2013 at 00:18
@ RIGHT, who on earth gives a crap about student fees? Student loans are cheap as chips and only get paid back when they reach a salary threshold. I think they should pay student fees for further education, why should my taxes pay for some other oik to better himself? I'd happily spend the money to ensure my kid gets the best in life (but I won't ask my neighbour to foot the bill)....why is it so many people in Barnsley are wanting a free lunch all the time? Its no wonder folk think there is a north south divide. The new jobs are being created (1.5m), apprenticeships have been created (1.5m). All this since the new govt, as part of a recovery plan from what the Labour govt left us with. But its never good enough. As for LIES, ask yourself why Labour harped on about the "cruel" 'Bedroom Tax', then when it came to vote 20% of the Labour party deliberately failed to vote to abolish it. The Barnsley idiot voted for it, just to save face....but lets not pretend he didn't get the memo telling him that Labour's aim was to LOSE the vote.

@ Kilkenny, from what I've read from your side, I'm pretty sure you're in no position to criticise what I talk! I didn't know Weetabix boxes had facts put on them....its not the usual place to find facts....interesting, but thanks for that, at least I now know where you're looking!

My facts are from very reliable sources thanks. I'm not into being brainwashed by the Labour lying machine like so many folk I see on here. Just keeping it real! ha ha

@ dan, I've not once said where my loyalties are, you're listening too much to everyone else's opinions.

All I've basically said is Labour are not the right people to be running the Local council, as they are incompetent fools and have shown this for many many years. A party that can put itself into millions of debt and are still trying to say they should be in control of the countries purse strings?? Its a dangerous concept to even imagine allowing these idiots any power at all, let alone letting any of them run a local council.

Reply Posted by JUNE on Thursday November 28 2013 at 07:50
Calm down Richard@ You will give yourself a hot flush..You lie just like the Tory/Lib Dem government.At least STEVEO post FACTS and not FALSE figures,You make yourself look a true Tory."""ALL MOUTH WITH NO ACTION""

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday November 28 2013 at 08:33
Oh get a grip June, your false teeth will fall out.

Voting Labour dear?

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Thursday November 28 2013 at 09:17
Go eat your Weetabix Richard & Fred.Your info is more like a bowl of FRUIT.Give the lemon a squeeze and utter dribble comes out..

Reply Posted by LOL@ JUNE on Thursday November 28 2013 at 09:20
Spineless? I think you're the one that is spineless( and toothless) voting Labour. Dunt tha like change lass?

Reply Posted by kenny needs help on Thursday November 28 2013 at 09:24
What are we going to do with you kenny everett? Nothing (just like Labour BMBC) as you're a lost cause.

Reply Posted by June has no teeth on Thursday November 28 2013 at 08:40
These folk are that dim, they would vote for a pig wearing a red rosette.

June, dan and kilkenny everett dunt like change you know. All flat cap and whippets. Look in town and see what aLabour council has done for you! Laughing stock at its highest.

Reply Posted by james on Thursday November 28 2013 at 17:08
Get their own ******* house the dolers never heard of ******* work lot of em

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday November 28 2013 at 17:14
I agree James. They have been wrapped up in cotton wool for way too long now. It's time to get tough!

Reply Posted by Martin on Thursday November 28 2013 at 17:45
Agree, almost entirely with Richard et al.

Reply Posted by Jasper on Thursday November 28 2013 at 18:32
why shouldn't you pay for your extra bedroom Rosie? you would if you had bought your own home... like I had to!

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Thursday November 28 2013 at 19:04
Jasper go suck on your carrot..you big WENDY HOUSE!

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday November 28 2013 at 19:13
Ignore this fool Jasper, he is on drugs.

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Thursday November 28 2013 at 19:15
She you faggot.

Reply Posted by ........ on Thursday November 28 2013 at 19:48
You act like r lass and shes 90

Reply Posted by -_- on Thursday November 28 2013 at 20:37
Dear Richard,

Sorry that you feel so strongly about people trying to improve their prospects or 'better themselves' via your taxes when it comes to further education. But why can't people try and improve their prospects at further education level? My mother pays her taxes even though she gets a menial wage for supporting those with learning disabilities and that's one of the most mentally challenged jobs you could imagine. She's worked hard by herself (yes she got housing benefit, child benefit and council tax benefit) but it doesn't mean she's a bad person that she had to claim those whilst working long hours to try and provide a better future for me and my sister. My sister and myself have 22 GCSE's A-C between us, 6 A2 Level B-C grades between us and we came from a family below the relative poverty line, we were homeless whilst doing our exams twice but we're not 'some oiks' who vandalised education, we used the free education to our advantage. I don't mind paying for university if it hopefully gets myself and my sister better chances in life. You just want to keep those with money at the top, and keep us who struggled at the bottom but your comments don't hurt because I'll be more determined than most people to succeed.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday November 29 2013 at 20:44
Well done you missus!

Contrary to popular belief, the old adage of " you are never too old to learn" is true.
I left school with only one formal qualification and have gained a lot more in my middle age, if only I had listened when at school!

Keep on with your learning no matter how hard financially it is, you'll get there in the end!

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday November 28 2013 at 20:44
That's a good post. Well done to you and you can do anything if you try! Stay positive,sounds like your mam is a fantastic woman,and you are a chip off the old block. Great to read.

Reply Posted by -_- on Thursday November 28 2013 at 20:59
Ah yeah, we're positive people, you've gotta ride the rough but eventually your plans will come to fruition :) that's my philosophy anyway when it comes to it. I just have a pet hate when it comes to people saying that everyone should stay in the social class they were brought up in and if anyone wants to do something positive, it's viewed to be a negative or the 'money argument' comes to play! But thank you Sid, that's always nice to hear!

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday November 28 2013 at 21:15
You're welcome. I too have worked my way up in life from a really poor and sometimes horrible start. I still work extremely hard, and have done well in life. I have found though that some folk do dislike me for it. Over the years I have helped school kids on schemes etc,done my bit, so I feel proud. You're right about the negativity and 'money arguement' coming into play, I have had experience of that too. You just ignore it and carry on, no one owes you a living and with your positive attitude,its there for the taking.

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday November 28 2013 at 21:51
@ -_- well done you. I too came from humble beginings and worked for all I have. I didn't rely on others to bail me out or pay for my education.

My issue is with people making life choices and at the same time expecting others to fund it.

There are people out there that simply use and abuse the education system to get onto course after course and get funded by the tax payer, with no thought about actually getting a job and use the education system as an excuse not to work. I'm sorry, but I'm not wanting to pay via my taxes for someone else to do that.

Reply Posted by nonthewiser on Thursday November 28 2013 at 21:56
Richard not even 1pence of your taxes will go towards paying for somebodies Education..FOOL

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:03
And what makes me a fool? If higher education fees are solely funded by the students, then no, I won't be paying towards it. But if they are not solely funded by the student, then where is the funding coming from smarty pants?

Reply Posted by nonthewiser on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:08
Not you big tax payer.. Mr Boring,anybody would think the way you talk,you pay for all peoples education,you pay the same as me,Thats what make you a FOOL,get a grip and put your head back in the sin newspaper you Tory TURD!

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:10
As for your comments relating to education, I find it ironic that your grammar fails miserably I.e. "sombodies" hilarious, particularly in that you overemphasised on the word FOOL!

Reply Posted by nonthewiser on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:15
Richard@ it's not about my Grammar.It;s about the youths off today and there Education,,Grow up because all your post are about pulling people down.All I was saying there is not just you who pays Tax and I can;i see anybody else moaning about paying around 1pence towards education...FOOL

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:15
How on earth would you know I pay the same amount of tax as you? You don't.

How do you think education gets paid for? Shirt buttons? No, it's via taxation. If I pay tax, then I'm pretty sure AT LEAST 1 penny of my earnings has contributed towards education.

Clearly you've no concept of how the tax system, education system or economy works. I suggest you read a book. Start with Janet and John, then Run Spot Run....

Reply Posted by nonthewiser on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:20
Richard@ You contribute ABOUT 1pence for education and the same for the unemployed,i didn,t say we earned the same money,FOOL,

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:22
Oh dear, seems you couldn't grasp a valid point if it was Sellotaped to you!

I won't waste any more time on you. Silly person.

Reply Posted by nonthewiser on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:25
Richard@ You are a pigheaded fart. you.ve been defeated yet again tory boy...

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:34
Looks like Richard.s been silenced yet again!!!!!

Reply Posted by LOL on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:35
RICHARD IS A SAD SUN READER TORY BUMB BOY..

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday November 29 2013 at 19:32
Silenced? Maybe he has a life, he doesn't have to post on here 24/7 like others on here.

Im glad myself and Richard are having an affect on your life, it just goes to show some folk can't handle the TRUTH!

You should try leaving the house, you might be less paranoid then.

Reply Posted by Richard on Thursday November 28 2013 at 23:13
And there we have it....the average IQ has now fallen 10 points now LOL has arrived!

@nonthewiser thinks I've been defeated because he/she resorts to illiterate name calling yet brings no real argument to the table. Well done you.

@ Kilkenny you must be related to this imbecile.

Reply Posted by .... on Thursday November 28 2013 at 23:52
Looks like the little charmers' reverted back to being Richard now.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday November 29 2013 at 19:34
The men in white coats are coming!

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday November 29 2013 at 08:43
im starting to think STEVEO is using different names now. Mmmmmmm

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday November 29 2013 at 20:50
No mate, i'll always be the one and only STEVEO.
You know the anarchic, red ragging, sabre rattling, trade unionist that hates Tories.

(So some might say)

Reply Posted by .... on Friday November 29 2013 at 11:42
Oh dear Richard you're not very good at this are you?

Reply Posted by Richard on Friday November 29 2013 at 13:12
Hey Fred, this joker thinks we are the same person!

Hope you're finding it as entertaining as me?!

I'm in a fit of giggles now :-D

Reply Posted by .... on Friday November 29 2013 at 14:03
The more you keep it up the more ridiculous you appear. Keep taking the medication son

Reply Posted by Richard on Friday November 29 2013 at 15:23
@.... I realise many folk these days may not know their paternal father, but unlike many, I do know mine from birth....and it's not you, which I'm very happy to say.

Maybe you can't have children (which may not be a bad thing), but to call me your son is a bit ambitious on your part.

Reply Posted by .... on Friday November 29 2013 at 15:47
You've used this one before Richard/Fred boring. Is that where you got 'son' from for your bizarre Fred character, from me? I'm flattered

Reply Posted by Warrior on Friday November 29 2013 at 16:59
Richard and Fred are the same person and Stan the retard is the afterbirth of Richard.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday November 29 2013 at 19:19
Aye Richard, im having a laugh at their expense. We now have Warrior joining in. Welcome on board son.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday November 29 2013 at 19:42
Oh Warrior, using the word 'retard' to describe someone is not very nice. You have well and truly put youself in the gutter where you belong.

Reply Posted by Lauren on Sunday December 1 2013 at 14:31
@richard. You do talk sense! I do like labour, but you're right they need to change the party members. I have nothing against bedroom tax, which by the way is not a tax. It's an occupancy supplement. People who own their homes would love a ten bedroom mansion, but don't live there because they can't afford it, they also can't afford 'storage' rooms. So why is it acceptable for these people to pay for someone else to have these luxuries?

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday December 1 2013 at 17:30
@ Lauren, I agree with most of what you said, but I'm left wondering why you like Labour especially if it needs changes to its party members? Surely you can see that the way they have run the council for so many years is evidence enough to demand a change of local party to run the council?

Reply Posted by .... on Monday December 2 2013 at 10:48
Worried for your mental health Richard/Fred. You really need to get out more