Alarming Drink Driving Figures Revealed

Tuesday November 26 2013

NEARLY 1,000 motorists have been caught drink driving on South Yorkshire’s roads in the last year.

A total of 955 drivers were prosecuted for drink driving between October 2012 and September 2013.

The figures were released by the Crown Prosecution Service as part of a campaign to cut alcohol-related crime.

A spokesman for road safety charity Brake said: "Anyone who drinks and drives is taking a huge risk, not only with their own life, but the lives of others too.

"Research is clear that even small amounts of alcohol significantly increase your risk of crashing and causing carnage, so it just isn’t worth risking a drink.

"In the run-up to the festive season we’re calling on all drivers in South Yorkshire to make a commitment now to never drive after drinking any alcohol - not a drop - and plan ahead to get home safely from festivities, to prevent horrific crashes and devastating casualties."

Chief Inspector Stuart Walne, head of South Yorkshire’s Roads Policing Unit, warned about the effects of being caught.

"You will be fined and banned from driving for a period of time but then there are all the associated costs," he said.

"If you're convicted of drink driving your insurance premium will be massively inflated and you could lose your employment."

The force launches its annual festive drink drive crackdown on December 1.

Reply Posted by Kelly on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 20:28
I am in no way condoning drink driving or excusing these people for doing it, but the reasons for doing it need to be explored and tackled. The fact is that people can't afford the ever rising taxi prices.

Reply Posted by Graham on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 20:38
Kelly@ if you can afford to go out boozing then surely you can afford a taxi home..think girl.would you sooner kill or injury someone whilst drink driving because taxi fares are too expensive,,how much is a life worth?

Reply Posted by taxi man on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 20:42
Catch the bus then Kelly! I've got a family to feed,petrol to buy insurance to pay,you idiot!

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 20:33
That's plain silly Kelly! Think about your comment.

Reply Posted by Kelly on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 20:53
Graham, I'm not speaking about myself. Taxi man, I also have a family to feed, petrol to buy and insurance to pay. What is your point? Like I said, I do not condone drink driving, but there must be various reasons why people do it and I believe that this is one of them. I wouldn't imagine that whether someone else's life is worth it or not crosses a drink drivers mind when they choose to get behind the wheel.

Reply Posted by taxi man on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 21:03
So Kelly, I have to drop my prices because some guys been out having a gud time, while I'm working, just in case he decides my fair,s too dear or he's not kept enough back to pay to get himself home safely. If you have a car, you give free rides Kelly. Think again.

Reply Posted by Kelly on Thursday November 28 2013 at 10:51
No I think you miss my point here, my gripe isn't with the taxi drivers. If the fuel costs didn't keep rising, the taxi fares wouldn't.

Reply Posted by taxi man on Thursday November 28 2013 at 10:57
Kelly,look at your first post. If people can afford to go out drinking,all they have to do is budget their spends to cover the fair to get home safely. The blame lies with the drink/driver no one else. If you can't afford something,don't do it...simples! Its always some one else,s chugging fault these days. Sorry kelly but its true.

Reply Posted by Mum of three on Thursday November 28 2013 at 22:05
Drink drivers should be charged as severe as the courts will allow.
A drunken person behind the wheel of a vehicle is like giving someone a loaded weapon and telling them to fire at will.

Reply Posted by emma on Friday November 29 2013 at 19:11
If people can afford to go out drinking then surely they can afford the taxi fare home. If not don't go out or get the bus home. Taxi drivers have insurances to pay to earn a living.
There is absolutely NO excuse for drinking and driving. A fine and a ban often doesn't deter these people. Making them face the damage they can and do cause by their actions may stop them. As part of their ban and fine send them out with the police or ambulance service to deal with the aftermath of a drink drive accident. More often than not its innocent people who suffer because of a drunk persons actions behind the wheel of a car.

Reply Posted by taximantheslysdexicmuppet on Friday November 29 2013 at 19:44
Your a taxi driver but you cant spell fare? DICKHEAD!!!

Reply Posted by so??? on Friday November 29 2013 at 19:50
So what?

Reply Posted by Dawn on Saturday November 30 2013 at 22:27
*You're*

Who has egg on face now? DICKHEAD!

Reply Posted by Dave on Friday November 29 2013 at 19:46
Whats this about "ever increasing taxi prices"? I drive for the biggest private hire firm in town and our fares have not increased for about four years. So please use a taxi and don't drive under the influence.

Reply Posted by Carl on Friday November 29 2013 at 20:03
taximantheslysdexicmuppet..... get your own post grammatically correct before pulling other people up!

Reply Posted by taximantheslysdexicmuppet on Friday November 29 2013 at 23:04
Carl missed the irony, derp a derp..... thud.

Reply Posted by T on Sunday December 1 2013 at 13:07
Drink driving is wrong no matter what. I won't have a single drop if I know I have to drive. If I did and got caught there would be no one to blame but myself!

Reply Posted by T on Sunday December 1 2013 at 13:08
Also, do you get a fine if you get caught drink driving? I'm sure that works out more than taxi fare...

Reply Posted by Darleen on Sunday December 1 2013 at 13:24
Excellent news, the amount that were caught are just a small proportion of those who do it. When are they going to catch the drug drivers too? Too many of those about.

Taxi fares are not to blame. Idiots are!!! They want lining up and shooting!

Reply Posted by phil on Sunday December 1 2013 at 20:31
955 in 1 year in South Yorkshire, that's an average of 18 per week. Lock them up.

Reply Posted by Richard on Monday December 2 2013 at 12:15
I had a dear friend killed by a drink driver. She didn't die immediately, no, her family waited a week before switching off her life support machine.

If anyone thinks it's ok to drink and drive, don't. If you can't afford a taxi, don't drink. It's a choice. Kill someone whilst drunk makes you a murderer and you belong in prison. Caught drink driving and you're no better than someone in the street brandishing a gun or a knife. Drink driving is irresponsible, selfish and stupid.