Sainsbury's Expected To Submit Plans

Monday November 25 2013

Sainsbury's are set to take over B&Q's premises Sainsbury's are set to take over B&Q's premises

SAINSBURY'S is expected to submit plans to convert a B&Q store in the next few weeks.

It follows an 'overwhelmingly positive' response from the public, said a spokesman for the supermarket chain.

Plans to redevelop the DIY store on Bleachcroft Way, Stairfoot, went on display last month, with the conversion expected to create up to 400 jobs.

At present the building is restricted to the sale of DIY products, but if Barnsley Council agrees to lifting the restriction Sainsbury's will turn the building into a 73,500sq ft food store with a petrol station, car parking and a cafe.

A spokeswoman for Sainsbury's said: "The response to plans so far has been overwhelmingly positive.

"At this stage we're continuing to receive feedback from the public, and Sainsbury's looks to submit plans to Barnsley Council in the coming weeks.

"We received a huge amount of public support at our consultation, with more than 85 per cent of respondents telling us they wanted to see a Sainsbury's on the B&Q site.

"A reoccurring theme has been that the local community feel the need for more supermarket shopping choice in Barnsley.

"The job opportunities available have also been well received, including Sainsbury's offer to give all current employees of B&Q an interview."

Reply Posted by John Thomas on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:08
My only problem to this proposed supermarket is the impact it will have on Stairfoot roundabout and the roads leading from/to it. There are already tailbacks up to Cundy cross and down past Tesco.

Reply Posted by stairfoot resident on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:11
The problem with the traffic at stairfoot is due to the lights,when the lights are not working the traffic runs a lot better..

Reply Posted by DAVE on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:14
I DUNT AGREE

Reply Posted by John Thomas on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:21
But when you add in another few hundred cars trying to get into and out of the B&Q site, then surely this will impact on the surrounding roads even if the lights are working correctly?

Reply Posted by stairfoot resident on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:27
Yes you may have a point John,But the lights are all out of sink,when the lights have been out of order,,,me myself find the roundabout runs a lot more smoothly,thats only my opinion John..

Reply Posted by DAVE on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:12
ABSOLUTELY BLOODY MAD, THERE IS A CHUFFING TESCO DARN ROAD, THIS INT WHAT AR TARN NEEDS, ANOTHER BLEEDING SUPERMARKET, WHERE AM I MENT TO GU FOR MI TOOLS NAR? THA DUNT THINK ABOUT THAT DUS THA? CAN I GET A HELL YEAH!?

Reply Posted by hill top on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:15
go to blooming poundland!!!

Reply Posted by Mick on Monday November 25 2013 at 16:33
Toolstation & Screwfix 400yds down the road & about half the price of B&Q. Jewson there too.

Reply Posted by Michael on Tuesday January 7 2014 at 12:39
Mick could not agree with you anymore there's Jewson ,Halfords , Screwfix , Toolstation YESSS electrical , Euro car parts and now a Greggs and Subway and you get a lot better deal as it's all Trade prices

Reply Posted by ANONYMOUS on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:20
WE ARE ANONYMOUS
WE ARE LEGION
WE DO NOT FORGIVE
WE DO NOT FORGET
EXPECT US!

Reply Posted by Dave on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:23
Hahahaha. Seriously? Watch out people we've got a real badass here.

Reply Posted by Danny on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:46
To be fair a B&Q would benefit me more than a Sainsbury's, but a Sainsbury's would benefit a lot more people than me. I agree with the lights being the problem at Staifoot. Get those sorted, get the traffic flowing and myself and a lot of people worried people will be happier bunnies.

Reply Posted by Bright Spark on Monday November 25 2013 at 14:56
What about the other huge B&Q 10 minutes down the road at Cortonwood, Dave? Would you prefer to see the building empty? The roads certainly need to be addressed around Stairfoot, though! Terrible traffic in the evenings and weekends.

Reply Posted by Nick on Monday November 25 2013 at 16:51
You have my blessing aswell Sainsburys. I think their own food brand is lovely. This will stop me going to Wakefield to do my weekly shop.

Reply Posted by jill on Monday November 25 2013 at 16:54
also my blessing,more competition.hopefully better prices for the customer!!bring it on..

Reply Posted by Mags64 on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 12:41
Great idea we certainly do need a sainsburys ..:-)