MiCard Free Travel Could Be Scrapped Amid Budget Cuts

Wednesday January 11 2012

Barnsley Town Hall Barnsley Town Hall

A SCHEME which offers free bus travel across Barnsley for under-18s could be scrapped amid the next round of swathing budget cuts.

Barnsley Council has been told by the government that it needs to cut £24m from its budget over the next three years - and amongst the list of changes proposed in the service cuts, the MiCard is discussed.

The budget consultation report says the Mi Card gives younger people the chance to get out and about at no cost to them or their parents. But it costs the council £2m - which it pays to Stagecoach - to run the scheme.

It added: "We are proposing to reduce the cost of the scheme which we could do in a number of ways. For example we could charge for the card, restrict the hours it's available, limit the number of days it can be used, limit it to providing reduced fares rather than free travel or limit it to families on means tested benefits.

"To help us understand how best to revise the scheme we would like to know more about who uses it and how. We would like to stress that at this stage any proposed changes to the MiCard are only suggestions and will be discussed by councillors (the council's decisions makers) over the next few weeks - along with a number of other saving suggestions."

The Council is asking for your views on the budget cuts an a survey that is open until January 16. To tell them how you use MiCard, go here

Reply Posted by Student on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 16:40
Although the MICARD is a great Idea Travel should be at a reduced  price not free .Maybee if thats how it worked there would be more funding into the travel service and maybe even lower fairs for older student like me who dont have privelidge of getting free travel. Some school's even have there own busses in the morning to get students to school for free, but with the card they all want to pack  on the public busses ,fill them up and make everyone to late by filling the busses and haveing the bus drive past waiting people. ( 3/4 of these kid;s only live ten mins walk from the school

Reply Posted by Sbriers07 on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 16:43
scrap over sixtys as well then to save money.

Reply Posted by Sue Jowett on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 16:45
my son uses his to get home from school and to go to town, how can they cut the hrs, i wouldnt mind but u can not use it before 9am, do the councils realise that school start before 9am, they wouls complain if children did not arrive in school after 9 wake up councils these are children you are taking from

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 16:55
I didn;t have a mi card as a youngster I don't see why I should pay for it now, nor was there ema or anything else. Why should I pay my council tax so other peoples kids can ride the bus. There is a simple solution if you can't afford kids, DON'T HAVE THEM...

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 16:56
Why is it a large proportion of people from Barnsley Expect the council to provide everything for them?

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 16:57
over 60s is a national scheme. Mi Card is a local government one.

Reply Posted by Jane Ward on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 16:59
On balance I think Mi Card is a good thing but like the free travel for over sixtys needs sum consideration given to applying a reduced fee of say 30p per journey . What I see is that services have been reduced by travel companies due to buses running full capacity with hardly any paying passengers .

Reply Posted by angela. on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 17:02
take it you don't have Kids then. when i was a youngster our bus fare was 2p now it's 2 pound.

Reply Posted by Maria MacGowan on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 17:04
My daughter will be using hers it next year when she starts secondary school.  If they cut it then more people will be driving their kids to places in their cars and less people will be using public transport to get around coz I'm sorry but using a car is cheaper than using public transport and quicker.  I know that if the MI card is cut I will have to take my daughter to school in the car next year as it will be cheaper for me especially if she gets into Horizon Community College as we live in Lundwood.

Reply Posted by Sallott on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 17:18
WHAT'S THE POINT IN SAYING ANYTHING THEY WILL DO WHAT THEY WANT ANYWAY, THEY ONLY WANT VOTES AND THAT,S THE END OF YOU

Reply Posted by Rob Warner on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 17:29
reduce the hours of the card so its for school travel so say 7.00.- 17.00 monday to friday

Reply Posted by Nataliej74 on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 19:05
My children pay to get on the school bus. It's not free to get there!
And if they go on public transport and use the Micard it's not free as it doesn't start till 9am!
If it acted as a pass for reduced rates it would basically be a proof of age card to get them on for children's rates!
My 11 year old son has been made to pay full adult fare when didn't have a Micard. And he doesn't look older at all!

Reply Posted by Gemma on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 20:40
i see most bus drivers allowing children/teens to get on before 9am all the time using the mi card, when that is not actually allowed.i think reducing the hours is a good thing. 8am till 6pm, so its free for them to get to school/college and enough time for them to get home. i agree with the person who says about the council should not be giving stuff like this, so be grateful weve had it for a few years! most towns wouldnt have this scheme. if you cant afford children, don't have them, simple!

Reply Posted by Jamiet1994 on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 20:58
I only have my mi card for the rest of this year

Reply Posted by Cath Kieran on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 20:59
micards should be used by school kids and college students between 7am and 6pm this is the times that they start going to school and college also let them only be used monday to friday that way they are not getting used just so that kids can go into town or what ever other free stuff they get with it my son only uses his for school and does not take advantage off it but really when kids are going to school they should be able to get on the SCHOOL bus free anyway and not have to pay.

Reply Posted by Guest on Wednesday January 11 2012 at 21:40
I paid for all my bus fares when i went to college (and this is pre-EMA too...!!) Kids shouldn't get paid for going to school or college... but if they are then they should use that money for transport!!!

Or perhaps the children should get jobs to pay for theirs?? Paper rounds etc...!

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 09:18
Weren't wages less then though? I don't have kids no, but when I do in the next couple of years I won't be expecting the council to pay and provide everything for them, people in this borough expect the council to foot the bill for everything. There are reasons Barnsley is in such a state at the moment

1. The bumbling labour local government and council have had 25 years to redevelop the town following the Mine closures, in this time they have done very little and spent very much on half baked half brained schemes and ventures which have done little to help the local economy in terms of jobs and business development.

2. The local population, many have done little to help themselves, we have too many teen mums, drunks, drug addicts, career disabled, and long term out of work who are all too happy to take take take from the state but put nothing back. They sit at home all day complaining at the council, complaining at the system and complaining at anyone who will listen, all the while picking up benefits for housing heating electricity, free tv licenses not paying council tax and claiming anything they can get their hands on, having no intention of contributing to the system they take so much from.

Of course there are genuine cases but Barnsley has far too many sponges.

As far as I'm aware people in other council boroughs don't have this scheme it's just another money drain for the council.

A reduced pass would be more benficial and economical. The Mi Card Scheme costs 2 million pounds a year Council has to cut 23 million, it's a no brainer.

We didn't have it a couple of years ago same with EMA so why complain now just be thankful for what it was.

Reply Posted by Dawnh67 on Thursday January 12 2012 at 10:31
When it comes to children, the elderly and disabled, the council should look elsewhere to make there cuts and leave these people alone. Things are bad enough as it is!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Gail on Thursday January 12 2012 at 10:45
You say REDUCE the hours - but you are saying INCREASE them so they start at 7am

SCRAP them alltogether - it is costing us taxpayers money because kids are just too lazy to walk or cycle to school these day - no wonder school child obesity is at an all time high

Reply Posted by Gail on Thursday January 12 2012 at 10:46
Since when did taking the car out cost less than 50p bus fare ??

Reply Posted by Gail on Thursday January 12 2012 at 10:48
And even if they did keep them on - they can't be used until after 9am, and as most schools start at 9am - you will still have to drive your child to school in the Chelsea Tractor

Reply Posted by Gail on Thursday January 12 2012 at 10:50
Since when have kids bus fares been £2 ---- they are 50p

Reply Posted by Juggsy67 on Thursday January 12 2012 at 10:55
My son has to pay to go to school as his School Bus comes at 8.15am and he cant use it till 9am.  They should be allowed to use it to get to and from school at least.  They took the free swimming off which helped households with low incomes.  The council should look elsware for cuts maybe councillors salaries and benefits for starters.

Reply Posted by Jerry on Thursday January 12 2012 at 10:55
SCRAP THE MI CARDS

I am totally fed up with waiting 30 mins for a bus only for to be told it is full and I can't get on - totally full of freeloading pensioners & kids of which none of them pay for their travel and the majority of them get on one stop and get off 100 yards down the road - lazy bastards

I was never given free travel as a child - and had to walk 2 miles to and from school daily, it never did us any harm.

Reply Posted by Jerry on Thursday January 12 2012 at 10:57
It's simple - either pay the fare - or WALK !!!
Why should kids be allowed to travel to school FREE of charge ??

Reply Posted by Dawnh67 on Thursday January 12 2012 at 11:45
I take it you havent got kids then!!!!!!

Reply Posted by nicki on Thursday January 12 2012 at 11:46
i will also drive my kids to school if the mi card is scrapped it will be cheaper for me that way !!

Reply Posted by Jerry on Thursday January 12 2012 at 12:11
Yes I have, all they all walk to school --- And I was also once a kid myself having to walk 2 miles to school & 2 miles home ... never did me any harm

Reply Posted by GUEST on Thursday January 12 2012 at 12:12
Kids can't use them until 9am anyway - so makes no difference if they are kept or scrapped... So they either PAY, WALK , CYCLE or you clog up the road with your car

Reply Posted by Sbriers07 on Thursday January 12 2012 at 12:15
well scrap it anyway - the freeloading gits

Reply Posted by Dawnh67 on Thursday January 12 2012 at 12:29
Fair enough, but my kids live to far away from their school to walk, so they have to take the bus.

Reply Posted by Guest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 12:33
School kids should have official school buses for free like they do in canada and the states. never mind the money aspect, they should be taken care of no wonder this country is going down the pan.

Reply Posted by angela. on Thursday January 12 2012 at 12:44
my daughter lives in kendray and she goes to dearne school in rotherham so she catches four buses. 4 50p's are £2. and before you say go to a nearer school she went to the school near our house but it is rubbish so she goes to a better school.

Reply Posted by Mrguest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 12:48
Easy answer. Primary school kids get it. Secondary/College don't. They are old enough to earn money and it'll give them an incentive to get a job(or work for parents!)

Reply Posted by GUEST on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:20
Well you shouldn't live in Barnsley and send your kids to school in Rotherham, as you are paying your council tax to Barnsley Council - But taxpayers in Rotherham are having to pay £6000 EVERY YEAR to pay for each & every one of your childs education.

Reply Posted by Liz on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:31
There wasn't the same volume of traffic on the roads though then and the thought of my 12 year old daughter walking to Shafton ALC from Cudworth fills me with dread

Reply Posted by Keigh Wall1 on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:46
IIm a college student and it's harder than you think to get a job now! Harder to earn our own money and for people like me my mum and dad can't give me the money everyday for the bus... They are good for getting to and from places yet some people take the piss with them and use it for bus missions etc... That therefore spoils it for everyone else

Reply Posted by ... on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:49
Im sorry Gail but id not let my, remember they are 11 when they start secondary/high school WALK from the top end of Lundwood to Shafton for school.. Context here these are preteens walking busy roads in a much more dangerous world than we had when we were younger

Reply Posted by ... on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:49

Reply Posted by ... on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:49

Reply Posted by PARENT! on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:51
Most local governments have either a free school bus or a concessionary for upto 16 year olds..

Reply Posted by PARENT! on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:51

Reply Posted by PARENT! on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:51

Reply Posted by Rebecca on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:55
When I was at college, I had a job 3 days after my 16th birthday, I didn't get ema and I had to work bloody hard to have money. I paid my own bus fares to college an back so I dont see how people think it is their right to have a mi card! Maybe if they cant afford bus fare they wont hang around the bus station causing trouble and intimidating people all the time?!

Reply Posted by .............. on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:56
Why dont they just put on a 'school bus' service? A run to and from school thats free for them? That is what most councils do? They have either a massively reduced or a free bus or two that covers the villages within the school catchment.. iWith these new super schools there are miles to travel with busy and dangerous roads.. Its not the world it once was for sure but i cant see any decent parent allowing an 11 year old to walk 2-3 miles to their local 'new super school' next to main bypasses with rush hour traffic? Cut the cost and make it only apply for a 2 hour block to and from school, or offer a free bus service.. Kids dont need all day everyday free bus but to be able to travel to the new, reduce the number of schools within the district, schemes which for some is miles away from what would have been their local Secondary school, safely. Id have happily walked my son to secondary school - before it was moved to the super school, 3 miles away across the 'new' Cudworth bypass, down Pontefract Road at rush hour.

Reply Posted by Louise Roberts12 on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:57
how about kids get free travel before 9 and after 3,then they get to and from   school for free,this helps parents out alot! and maybe free during school holidays, this again helps parents, bus fare is a big chunk of your money if you want to take them anywhere during the holidays. especially as most people these dont have a lot of money or are on a limited income.

Reply Posted by Karsy on Thursday January 12 2012 at 13:58
my dauhgter goes to a school 4 miles away and before you say it, it's the nearest one to where we live. she has a school bus pass to get her their at 7.30 in the morning but coming home she uses her mi card and if she doesn't have with her she is made to pay £2. bus drivers don't care if they look young enough, just no pass no kids fare and has for other people saying walk would you like your teenage daughter to walk 4 miles in the dark during winter months at that time on a morning with all with all these crazy people who prey on the young ones, because i certainly don't.

Reply Posted by Louise Roberts12 on Thursday January 12 2012 at 14:02
what about people like me who had a good income when i had my children,so therefore could afford to have them! but then my husband was made redundent,like a lot of families in this current finacial market,and he had to take a much lower paid job.

Reply Posted by Woffinden5 on Thursday January 12 2012 at 14:03
Maybe the mi card could have a time limit say 7.30am to 9am then can't use it till 2.30pm to 4pm not allow weekends or holidays then that way it is used for just school and not blocking up the buses

Reply Posted by Pat on Thursday January 12 2012 at 14:05
i live in barnsley and go to rotherham college. because i live in barnsley and go to college in rotherham i do not qualify for the 50p student card so the MI card is the only thing helping me out! i don't drive as i can't afford the lessons, petrol and insurance so bus travel is essential! if the MI card is taken away how am i meant to afford the bus fairs! EMA has gone so I'm on my having to borrow off my parents for college essentials. I'm 16 years old, and all employers want is experience! so if anyone has any ideas on how i would be able to afford going to college please let me know! DONT TAKE AWAY OUR MI CARDS!

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 14:20
your choice angela

Reply Posted by Me on Thursday January 12 2012 at 14:29
Jerry... I have a mii card that I share with all my family and friends, its a great way to save money, its the best thing I have ever had, I use it to buy groceries too, and petrol, and alsorts of nice luxurys..... God I am lucky.....

Reply Posted by guest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 14:33
i totaly agree with the my card for school kids. what i cant get my head round is the council wanting to scrap it due to budget cuts. then in next breath there proposing to spend £800.000 on a gypsy / Travlers site. it doesn't add up does it

Reply Posted by Mkilburn on Thursday January 12 2012 at 14:38
Pensioners are NOT FreeLoading as you call it, they pay for their pass through the Council Tax they pay...

Reply Posted by guest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 15:01
i got told by a bus driver ages ago they were getting rid on it in april. im 18 now so dont matter to me but some of my friend rely on it as they cant afford to get to college all the time now im 18 im finding it hard and bus prices are meant to be increasing we need something to help us as not all of us can get jobs ive had one but had to leave due to not being able to do all my school work as well as a job. it should be kept especially seen as tho some families cant even afford food never mind travel to school some people in my school have to get several buses and when i go to uni i will have to get 3 as there are no trains. public transport is ridiculous!!

Reply Posted by Tessie Harber on Thursday January 12 2012 at 15:18
not all secondary school kids can get jobs remember they start secondary school at 11.

Reply Posted by Tessie Harber on Thursday January 12 2012 at 15:22
tell me who is gonna give jobs to under 16s there isnt many and i think you av to be 14 to get a paper round thats if there is any paper shops left anywhere..

Reply Posted by Leealanhumphries on Thursday January 12 2012 at 15:29
ABOUT TIME !! THEY WENT NOTHING BUT TROUBLE ...

Reply Posted by Beckilovesdean on Thursday January 12 2012 at 15:34
why u stopping thm there no need to stop thm wat about old woman n old man
there worst for there cards

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 15:58
they paid into the system for 30 odd years and earnt them

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 15:59
You CHOSE to go to Rotherham College, why not see if they can help you out.

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 16:03
Louise If your husband was good at his job and Im sure he was then he will get another of the same pay as previous.

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 16:05
so you chose to live 4 miles away from a school, your choice. When I buy a house I generally think about it's location to things i.e doctors, petrol stations and things like that. So because you chose to live 4 miles away from  your local school we, the public have to pay for your daughters bus fair?

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 16:08
why would they complain, do you think it's the councils responsibility to bring up your kids? No, neither is it the schools.  I would be more concerned if I was a parent that I wasn't making sure my son/daughter wasn't in school on time.

Reply Posted by Tax-Payer on Thursday January 12 2012 at 16:24
scrap the thing, nowt but a pain in the arse. especially on holidasys, they use the buses as a mobile creche. sooner its gone the better

Reply Posted by on Thursday January 12 2012 at 16:48
I don't expect the council to pay for everything,! I have paid in to the system for the last 22yr since leaving school at 16 and lets face it mi cars wasn't around as the bus fares  were 50p not £1.10 which is the lowest fare. Last year the council put a stop to using mi cards at the Metodome, take it out of the kids As parent knowing my son gets the bus home puts me at ease clearly some people don't read or listen to the news murders and rapes every week lets keep our kids as safe as we can, why not disguard the passes that the foreigners seem to have or the free taxi service they get on account or maybe scrap the passes that the alcoholics, or make do disabled have cos lets face it 95% of those claiming dla clearly are fitter than linford christy ever was!!!!!

Reply Posted by on Thursday January 12 2012 at 16:52
you clearly don't have a television in your house to watch and see what this country has become louise's husband will struggle to get a job that pays over £6.08

Reply Posted by on Thursday January 12 2012 at 16:56
Your list doesn't mention the serge of imigrants very few of them work n if they do they still claim

Reply Posted by ckone on Thursday January 12 2012 at 17:00
restict the hours to 7.30 till 5pm give the kids time to get to and from school but make them pay after and at weekends. and yes im a mum

Reply Posted by ckone on Thursday January 12 2012 at 17:00

Reply Posted by angela. on Thursday January 12 2012 at 17:44
every one of my children i only have one.

Reply Posted by Dan on Thursday January 12 2012 at 18:03
Firstly, Mi Cards do not work before 9am so you can't complain that your kids can't get to school if they scrap them.

Secondly have you heard of the Travelcard? 50p to get on the bus rather than the £1odd otherwise, which is free to get so don't go complaining over having to pay that much.

Thirdly, more onto MiCards themselves if they were to stay should be school only. Valid in the mornings and afternoons for going and coming to and from school. Why should they be valid in the school holidays?

Lastly, give the OAPs a break. They are living off of a pension, they are frail and have been paying into the system for long enough to deserve one. Just ask yourself if you'd think the same if your mum/dad, grandfather/grandma had to walk, in the cold, rain and wind into town to buy some bread and milk or pay their rent.

Reply Posted by Guest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 18:28
Children should be able to travel for free in my opinion and older children should be responsible enough to have the independance to get around our town since there is nothing "local" anymore, but as always it's the reckless few that spoil it for the majority of children who benefit and give a bad press so the easy answer is to save a few quid and scrap it. Where do kids get there money from? Their Parents! But ours incomes aren't increasing and the cost of everything keeps rising, so something has to give somewhere. 50p for every journey a child needs to make can soon adds up. Whats the alternative? Children chaperoned everywhere in cars? Our roads are in a big enough mess as it is. I thought the use of our public transport was supposed to be encouraged.

Reply Posted by Mrguest on Thursday January 12 2012 at 20:01
You can get a paper round at 11/12 and can work in most places from 14 (restrictions apply obviously - they'd not get the NMW)

Reply Posted by Karsy on Friday January 13 2012 at 01:05
no i didn't chose to live 4 miles away from a school i moved in with my husband who had bought this house several years before and if you read my comment more carefully if yr capable of that you will see i am pointing out that bus drivers will not let a child on a bus at a child fare rate with out a pass weather they look young enough or not and the fact i don't want my daughter walking at that time on a morning in the dark. but then i guess you'll still not be happy with that. if my daughter got raped or murdered it's people like you that would say she deserved it for beening out at that time on her own. so get yr fact right before yr leave stupid comments next time dick

Reply Posted by Karsy on Friday January 13 2012 at 01:18
oh and would also like to point out i don't have a problem with paying her bus fare if she got it at a child rate which still brings us back to the pass which shows her how old she is. so this is a battle that neither you or i will ever win and i'm guessing you don't have kids or if you do you don't care much for their safety and if you do all i can say is poor buggers..

Reply Posted by Yorkstotty on Friday January 13 2012 at 09:02
i work a lot of hours n pay a lot of tax my daughter does out of school activites and wouldnt be able to do them if it wasnt for the mi card and if she carnt get on the school bus she goes to shafton alc and couldnt walk home from school so leave the cards as they are not all kids abuse them only the minorty

Reply Posted by Mcbb2k7 on Friday January 13 2012 at 13:30
reyt every1 is slagin us younguns off ye we use micards to get to places where there is something going on i live in great houghton i am 16 and if i didnt have a mi card it would cost me £3.75 just for a single to town if the councell scrap mi cards there will be more complaints than they are getting anyway thy will have to fork out for youth clubs everywhere because people will complain that teens are hanging around all over i know they will coz they did it  to me and my mates we were sat on the skate park ant it was cold so we were wearing hoodies and the called the poliece on us all the time coz we were wearing hoodies i dint even have my hood up !! thats yy i started hanging around in town because poliece arent on your back all the time but ye if they scrap the mi cards there will be troubble and possibly even roits could kick off x

Reply Posted by Greenginger on Friday January 13 2012 at 14:35
The Mi card is obviously expensive and does not help the struggling public transport system. It does not cover school trips and to be honest that is the responsibility of parents not the state. Plus paying passengers often need to catch the bus for work or similar. Why should they be stood at the roadside unable to get on a bus because its full of kids? Why should all young people expect free or even subsidised fares? Its not like many of them have jobs to go to is it? The MI card was a luxury and now the country is struggling it has to go. Young people can always walk or cycle instead but they wont. They will whine and moan and complain about pensioners (stupidly). Or they will state there is nothing to do ( rubbish!) Or they state that not all wear hoodies ( who cares?) get rid of it so the council can keep libraries, care homes, repair roads etc etc.

Reply Posted by youngun on Saturday January 14 2012 at 10:05
more like £3.00 ye 50p if they let you on for child fare i ant bin allowed on for child fare since i turned 13 even going to school they tried charging me £2:20

Reply Posted by ''''''''''''''''' on Sunday January 15 2012 at 20:04
My son is 11 and no he can not work at his age... you have to be 13 to legally do a paper round

Reply Posted by '''''''''''''' on Sunday January 15 2012 at 20:15
my son has stated using since going up to Kingstone in Sep, I drop him at school an my way to work in the morning but he uses it to catch the 2 busses to make the 4.5 mile journey home... he would quite gladly bike it & has begged me to let him go on his bike, but its not safe for him to travel that distance & on main roads on his bike. He doesnt use it for any other reason or at any other time so why should he/we be penalised for the kids that take the p*ss .... DONT SCRAP THE Mi CARD!

Reply Posted by '''''''''''''' on Sunday January 15 2012 at 20:15

Reply Posted by ''''''''''''''' on Sunday January 15 2012 at 20:24
Here, here neatsb ...... since leaving school me & my partner have worked hard, paid our taxes & NEVER claimed from the goverment. My 11yr old son catches the 2 buses home from school and I know he is safe and where he is & he uses his Mi card... without that it would cost us an extra £5pw for him to get home from school (thats on top of the school meals, uniforms etc we pay for). Why should our own suffer when you have the immigrants getting their free taxi's (this is a fact as my partner is a taxi driver & regularly gets these taxi jobs, all paid on account)

Reply Posted by ''''''''''''''''''' on Sunday January 15 2012 at 20:26
I take it you will not be claiming tax credits then Guestymcguest???

Reply Posted by Hardave157 on Monday January 16 2012 at 03:12
eeI work for Stagecoach & I don't agree with kids going all over Barnsley for free we have to put up with them abusing the system & costing us taxpayers for the privalige I have taken these kids to the top of a hill just so they can ride back down again on thier scooters & then get another bus back up again. I have taken so called kids into town obviously   going out drinking & laughing that they travel for nowt & don't get me started on the mobility passes what do you need for one of these? the last time I worked here you didn't see many now every man & his dog has one

Reply Posted by Paulagroves57 on Monday January 16 2012 at 08:13
No they should not get rid of the mi card ! Put a limit on it carnt use after 6 wk days and pay 25p towards fare weekends and put a time limit ! , they took the swimming , there isnt much out there as it is , i work two jobs to keep my kids the mi card helps a little , we as working familys pay for this ! The goverment is destroying working class familys !!!!

Reply Posted by Paulagroves57 on Monday January 16 2012 at 08:13

Reply Posted by Michelle Linacre on Monday January 16 2012 at 08:21
this government as done  nothing for the kids but take take take they give it 1 hand and take it from the other its time they left the kids alone ...... people are getting on about kids getting to school for free but thats not case you cant use the MICARD before 9 am so they only get home for free

Reply Posted by harleysmom on Monday January 16 2012 at 09:28
All I can say is yeah its alot of money but look at what else the council are doing what about the £800000 for the gypsy site why spend money on people who travel compared to the kids in the society ????

Reply Posted by GuestyMcguest on Monday January 16 2012 at 09:31
I've been on here saying how I think the Mi Card should go, I still stand by that, however I do think that something should be available to reduce fares at school times.

Particularly now when bus travel is required more due to the new super schools or ALC's as the council likes to call them. Shaftons a prime example - its way out for some of the kids previously went to Priory

Either a reduced rate between certain hours or free busses are needed for under 18s to be able to get to and from school, scrap them on a weekend and evenings, surely this makes more sense?

Remember not just to post your opinions on here get on to council site via the link  http://consult.barnsley.gov.uk/public/corporate/performance/budg?surveyInProgress=true