Selfless Barnsley Woman Betters Hospital Kids' Christmas

Friday November 22 2013

LAST year this woman spent one week's wages buying gifts for the children's ward at Barnsley Hospital. This time around she has gone even better and persuaded a company via the business she works for to donate boxes of toys and gifts for the ward!

Amanda Oglesby, 45, took delivery of some of the gifts at KDA wholesalers in Dodworth.

Amanda knows first hand what it's like for children and their families who are sick - especially at Christmas.

Her daughter, Samantha, now 25, was diagnosed with diabetes when she was just two-years-old.

She was severely ill for much of her young life, and spent weeks and weeks on the children's ward at Barnsley Hospital.

Amanda from Beacon Hill, Silkstone Common, said: "They really try to ensure that as many children as possible can leave the hospital and be at home for Christmas Day.

"But obviously not every child is well enough to go home. One year when she was just nine years old my daughter had to remain in hospital at Christmas, it made a difference to her that she was given presents and things.

"I learned later that the nurses on the children's ward had bought the children presents from their own money.

"I was so touched I wanted to do something. Last year I spent my wages buying gifts. This year I have persuaded a company I know through work to make a donation.

"I'm thrilled with how much stuff I have got for the children's ward and determined already to hopefully get even more next year."

Reply Posted by Chris on Friday November 22 2013 at 12:16
Well done Amanda. It just goes to show that the Christmas spirit does exist and some folks like to help other......the kids in hospital will have a wonderful time at Christmas, although I know they would prefer to be at home

Reply Posted by Tanya on Friday November 22 2013 at 12:21
Think this a beautiful wonderful thing to do ,my son has been in hospital on and off through christmas and a nurse gave him a cup one year the smile on his face with just a little gift was a wonderful sight to see as he was so ill .Well done and thank you to any one this christmas for giving anything to the children your all beautiful wonderful people xx

Reply Posted by barnsley hospital charity on Friday November 22 2013 at 12:43
Amanda, this is amazing, we would love to be able to organise a thank you and photo with you to pop on the barnsley hospital charity website and would love to be able to support your kind work in the future, if youre reading this would you get in touch on katiecartwright@nhs.net xx

Reply Posted by Mandy Davies on Friday November 22 2013 at 12:47
Think this is a wonderful idea and will put smiles on poorly little kids faces x x

Reply Posted by amy on Friday November 22 2013 at 20:59
Amazing lady what a fantastic idea x

Reply Posted by Wendy on Saturday November 23 2013 at 07:51
Well Done Amanda !!! They should give you your own TV Show, i use to love watching Noel Edmonds on Xmas day giving childrens wards presents. Well Done !!!

Reply Posted by Mad Bad & Dangerous to know on Saturday November 23 2013 at 08:29
Nice Lady