Hundreds Come Out To See Christmas Lights

Thursday November 21 2013

Photo by Kurt Fairhurst Photo by Kurt Fairhurst

HUNDREDS made their way to the town centre to see Barnsley's Christmas lights being switched on - although some left unhappy.

The party atmosphere was started by Dearne FM's breakfast presenter Joe Sentance, who kept the crowds entertained with all the Christmas classics.

Musicians Toby Burton, Thomas Teago and Undafret performed, before Pingu, Capital FM's Simon Hirst and Mayor Cllr Ken Richardson were on hand to switch the town's lights on.

The highlight of the event was arguably the fireworks which came soon after. Set off from the Town Hall's roof for the very first time, the crowd were wowed by the spectacular display.

Down at the Alhambra, Reds legend Bobby Hassell and Coronation Street's Jack P Shepherd switched on the shopping centre's lights - although some were left disappointed.

Paula Maguire, 45, of Mapplewell, had brought her two kids Maisie, 11, and James, nine, down especially to see their favourite Barnsley player.

"We nipped up to the Town Hall for a bit but the security wouldn't let us into the Alhambra afterwards," she said.

"To have OAPs and young kids locked out in the freezing cold was unacceptable. It wasn't fair."

However, our Facebook page's comments showed the majority loved the town's two light switch-ons.

Katie Eyles said: "It was brilliant. There was a great atmosphere at the Town Hall and the smile on my four-year-old's face when the countdown was on before the fireworks was worth standing in the rain for."

What did you think to it? Which switch-on did you go to? Were you one of the people who were refused entry into the Alhambra? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Tony on Thursday November 21 2013 at 09:32
I can honestly Barnsley excelled there self well done fantastic evening for everyone cheers

Reply Posted by Mum of three on Thursday November 21 2013 at 09:37
My children were at the town hall.
Their little faces were a picture.
Fireworks were brilliant.
A fab start to Christmas for them,
Well done to the organises.

Reply Posted by Shelly Tarmey on Thursday November 21 2013 at 09:42
Absolutely amazing night the fireworks were unexplainable!! Alambera were letting people only with small children in through another enterence because it was that packed in there by screening teenagers but to be totally honest the alambera wasn't worth seeing

Reply Posted by tillyanne on Thursday November 21 2013 at 09:43
locking people out of the Alhambra was really NOT GOOD children oap and disabled all stood in pouring rain when inside was half empty poorly organised could have been thought out better so people at least could get in out of heavy rain

Reply Posted by becky on Thursday November 21 2013 at 09:43
Im gutted I didnt get to go and the pictures upload made me well jel!! My lil girl would have loved it xx

Reply Posted by Collet on Thursday November 21 2013 at 09:58
It only takes a few fireworks en fancy lights to lift people's spirits,but was there any need to put Barnsley in traffic chaos nearly all day? BAD PLANING took the spice off it.

Reply Posted by amy on Thursday November 21 2013 at 10:21
The town hall even was Brill worth wait however the Alhambra was disgraceful. They knew so many people was coming yet they do it in the smallest place ever and lock everyone else out in freezing cold and rain not knowing what was going on. Hope who ever organised this is happy with them selves leaving all the kids disappointed and upset as they saw nothing!! Shame on you!

Reply Posted by tracey martin on Thursday November 21 2013 at 10:40
We went to the tarn hall and it was brilliant, the fireworks were amazing!!!!!
Maybe nxt time it would be a good idea to have the alhambra' switch on 1st then the tarn hall ones...because last nite there were thousands heading to the alhambra after tarn hall ones so i can understand why for safety resons they all couldnt get in...... mind u after all the moaning scrooges on here over the past few weeks am surprised there were that many people went to watch! lol ...Bigger stage or repositioning needed nxt year though up at tarn hall.

Reply Posted by Cheryl on Thursday November 21 2013 at 10:40
Town all was fab and the fireworks were great, only problem was It was so busy the little kids couldn't see pingu properly so it would have been nice if the penguin had hung around a little the end with the DJ.

Reply Posted by Me on Thursday November 21 2013 at 10:46
You cannot please everyone. Sounds like overall well done Barnsley. As for people complaining about young children etc out in rain, this should have been considered before you attended. As a mother myself I made the decision not to take my young children due to weather and also what sort of weather do you expect at this time of year?? Maybe Alambra had to lock its doors to to full capacity, there are laws for this sort of thing. Rant over.

Reply Posted by Dani on Thursday November 21 2013 at 10:57
Couldnt get in alhambra.. Stood outside for about anhour with my 7 year old got absoloutly soaked! The police kept sayin move back and you'll see him come out to see you up a level.. 'David platt' vut he never came out!! Just did a little wave through the window:( and we didnt know that anything was happening up at town hall till we saw fireworks! Last year was miles better!!!

Reply Posted by GRIM on Thursday November 21 2013 at 10:58
This is unusual. People complimenting something council run. lol
The town hall event was brilliant - music, atmosphere, fireworks, Pingu!!! Organised as it should.

It's been horrid the last few years, everyone kettled into Cheapside. This was much better.

After the council's decision to do the switch-on at the Town Hall, the Alhambra was disapoint that the attention was taken away from then, so they organised their own event.
I know people who got turned away from the Alhambra too, and these just individuals, rather than groups. Such a shame.

Great to see the main event though was done in a way that it catered for all types, especially young children.

Reply Posted by Toby Tyke on Thursday November 21 2013 at 12:11
Hope you all enjoyed thisens! I wa left to polish mi balls all neet on mi todd. Well, dunt bother asking me to do owt nar. Drat that sodding budgie! He wants plucking!!!

Reply Posted by carol on Thursday November 21 2013 at 13:47
well said toby, even though i had to ask my mate to translate it lol :p

Reply Posted by why turned away? on Thursday November 21 2013 at 13:56
We walked in thru wilkinsons after the front doors were shut.got to see plenty. Agree locking doors with a crush wasn't clever but no-one had to stand in the rain #shouldhaveusedabrain

Reply Posted by Angie on Thursday November 21 2013 at 14:25
Loved the countdown and the fireworks, very disappointed that we couldn't get into the Alhambra, my daughter who is 8 was very upset that she didn't get to see Jack P Sheperd and ended up in tears, crammed like a herd of sheep in the rain... We left early!

Reply Posted by Elle on Thursday November 21 2013 at 17:49
i thought the fireworks were absolutely amazing!thankyou so much

Reply Posted by jimbo on Thursday November 21 2013 at 19:54
Locked out in the pouring rain with kids for an hour get a grip all you moaning the Alhambra did what they needed to do for health and safety reasons if they would have let everyone in you would all be complaining about the crush yet no one seems to be bothered about the cold and rain outside the town hall well done to the security of the Alhambra for doing the right thing the public should have picked to go to one or the other

Reply Posted by E14 on Thursday November 21 2013 at 20:01
the Alhambra doors wern't locked until after 6 pm and was only done in the best interest of the public , the people who wanted to see Jack sheperd began queing from 4.30pm the ones who didnt get in were the ones who choose to go upto the town hall !!!!!!

Reply Posted by Donna on Thursday November 21 2013 at 20:52
We went to see pingu. We was the 4 th row back. We had a fantastic time but I had to try and hold my kids up as they could hardly see with all the ten foot teens!

I think the stand was set up in the wrong place as no one could see, as it was at the top of the hill you were looking up so the small people who went to see Barnsley bear and pingu just couldn't see. As they were trying to look up and the gradient was too great.
Think next year the town should invest in a big screen like Rotherham so events can be projected so everyone can see. Or the stage should be back at the Alhambra so everyone regardless of your size can see, as it just wasn't fair to the little people.

Reply Posted by Angry on Thursday November 21 2013 at 20:53
Totally understand why Alhambra security had to lock their doors due to health and saftey. They were aware of people standing out in the cold and rain, they didn't like it either!! As to the event itself, it was well organized and fun. As I couldn't see any help from any other "parties", myself and those around me think the Alhanbra Centre did a great job.

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday November 21 2013 at 20:57
Who,s Barnsley Bear??? Sounds like every bugger got an invite...bar me.:( :(:( :( Surprised that owd bloke with red coyte warnt thieer an all. An his stinky sidekick wi red hooter. They've forgot abart me. :(

Reply Posted by slippery slope on Thursday November 21 2013 at 21:00
You could have joined your team mates on the sinking ship,because the team is sinking very fast..

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday November 21 2013 at 21:03
Ano! Antcher sin me tho? I run me nads off! Wots this abart joinin mi team mates on a ship? I ant bin invited to that an all!

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday November 21 2013 at 21:05
They'll be inviting that owd git pugwash or birdseye! :(

Reply Posted by all aboard on Thursday November 21 2013 at 21:07
there invited Orvil and the Jolly Roger!

Reply Posted by toby tyke on Thursday November 21 2013 at 21:13
All chuffing Roger him! An that scrawny bird??? He wants is flapper sooortin art!
Any rode,they,all want me one day. :(

Reply Posted by Jane Roberts on Thursday November 21 2013 at 21:19
We had a brill time and were lucky enough to see a bit of both. The Town Hall was fab and the firework display bet everyone's expectations and far better outside of the town hall. Only grumble I have is an old bloke on mobility scooter trying to get through a crowded area and told one of security blokes they think there hitler when they put their jackets on - quite comical until I saw him flag the old codger - All in all i think Barnsley council did us proud.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday November 30 2013 at 21:47
BMBC did us proud? It was paid for by me and the rest of the tax payers.

Have you seen the town centre? BMBC are usless!

Reply Posted by GrimReaper on Thursday November 21 2013 at 22:04
LOL at the old codger, - Only in't tarn

Reply Posted by Carole on Friday November 22 2013 at 01:14
The under felts were amazing best band ever

Reply Posted by Carole on Friday November 22 2013 at 01:22
I ment the undafrets

Reply Posted by Gaynor on Friday November 22 2013 at 05:27
The event at the Town Hall was wonderful, my children 7 & 14 mths loved it. The atmosphere was really good, the rain didn't even dampen the spirit. We couldn't get there until after 5 when my hubby finished work but we were on the outside of the railings near the side of the stage so my children could see Pingu and Hirsty & co quite well (from up on our shoulders albeit) I heard that some at the back didn't get to see Pingu so perhaps next year a central stage might work better and bring the crowd together better. From a personal view we had a great night out and fireworks were amongst the best we have ever seen :)

Reply Posted by caroline bailey on Friday November 22 2013 at 13:20
Im trying to find pictures off David platt and me??It was taken by photographys and they said that it will be on council website? And its not there? Im confused would you be able to help me? Fantastic night!

Reply Posted by Mystery on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:34
Try their Facebook page Caroline

www.Facebook.com/Barnsleycouncil

Reply Posted by unknown on Saturday November 23 2013 at 17:13
Had a brill night took my daughter and went with my partner and mother in law....fireworks were amazing but when we went down to alambra I needed to feed my 6 week old daughter and police wouldnt let me in to alambra to be able to feed her witch I thought was wrong ended up going to wilkos side door and the kind security guards allowed us in apart from that brill night

Reply Posted by Jacob on Saturday November 23 2013 at 17:14
I have kept away from the light switch ons since nearly getting crushed on cheapside, and nearly ending up fighting coz of people pushing and shoving, i am glad the event at the townahll went well though, and the fieworks look amazing, wish i had been there, As for the alhambra, HAVE U SEEN THIER LIGHTS? i would have been embarassed to even call them lights, piddly little things, I know its not that big a shopping centre, but come on, make some effort! Well done barnsley council on taking the event away from cheapside, where ppl were getting crushed and hit by fireworks falling etc.