Businessman Offers Apologies As Business Folds

Thursday November 21 2013

Bistro 63 Bistro 63

A BUSINESSMAN is offering his heartfelt apologies to people who have lost money after booking with his now-closed restaurant.

Bistro 63 at Manvers closed down on November 5 and customers who have paid deposits have been left out of pocket as a result.

One woman is believed to have paid £1,500 for catering for a 50th birthday party and the restaurant had also taken deposits of £10 per person for a near sold-out Christmas Day of two sittings.

Customers posted on the restaurant's Facebook site to try and find out what was going on.

Sophie Waring posted: "Hi there, could you tell me when you will be re-opening please? We have a booking with you. What's happened?"

Danielle Jeffcock added: "Oh dear hopefully they'll get someone who knows what they're doing! Feel sorry for staff who lost their jobs."

Owner Mark Perry, 42, had been renting the building since in May and says the greater cost will now fall on him as he faces losing his home.

He refused to speak about claims that bookings and deposits had been taken in the days before the business closed or about the money people have lost.

"We could not afford to sustain the business, unfortunately," he said.

"Basically the business is bust. We were quite popular but the business just drained money.

"I'd like to offer my heartfelt apologies to people who have lost money.

"I obviously thought it would be a success because I pumped every penny I had into it and I could lose my house now."

Situated on Onyx Business Park, management company Onward Holdings Ltd said in a statement: "We have taken possession of the property and we know that the bookings book is in the hands of the Thai Garden Cafe on the same site.

"We will be looking at that and will try to offer a solution whether that be through the Thai Garden Cafe or another means.

"We are only connected to the business through being a landlord but as a family business we feel it's right to contact the people who have been affected.

"Onyx has been phenomenally successful since it has been built and it's a shame that this business was not able to make a go of it."

Reply Posted by mmmmm on Thursday November 21 2013 at 14:52
gone from knicking marbles to ripping people off has tha mark

Reply Posted by Sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 08:31
TUCK IN AH AH AH

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday November 22 2013 at 08:47
LAST SUPPER

Reply Posted by LOL on Saturday November 23 2013 at 08:37
CLOSED WITHOUT A BANG ON 5 NOV CANT BELIEVE ITS NOT BUTTER.

Reply Posted by LOL on Sunday November 24 2013 at 08:40
HES LAUGHING HIS COCK OFF ,HE WAS BRAGGING ABOUT IT IN THE BOOZER.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday November 21 2013 at 14:54
Shame on him if it's true he took deposits when in reality he new the business wasn't working and closing !!!!

Reply Posted by ??? on Thursday November 21 2013 at 15:29
I worked here and have lost my job through this... A few week before xmas... But it couldnt be helped.... No bookings or deposits were taken knowing the business was closing... It was a decision that was made one day and that was that.... The bistro was no more. Which was heart breaking for everyone who worked there as we all loved it. Especially Mark. He put everything into that place and it really has broke his heart. He has tried to contact everyone that was booked in to appologise in person but as the statement say's he no longer has the diary. I just think people should lay off it a bit as Mark now has to try rebuild his life and try not to loose his home. Yes people have lost money but he never took it intentially. Its just a very sad outcome :(

Reply Posted by Kirsty Perry on Thursday November 21 2013 at 16:11
The bistro was my dad's life! He remortgaged his house to set it up and spent £75,000 on it and was there every single day!! He is heart broken by the closure but is already in £10,000 of debt due to the high rent and business rates. He did not take any bookings or deposits whilst planning to close. It was a case of one day open the next shut. He also cares for my grandmother who has had two strokes so is disabled. They now risk losing the house so no one can say he needs to try harder or didn't make a go of it. It's unfortunate but these things happen in business.

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilder on Sunday November 24 2013 at 16:20
LOL dear,
Its "borrow" my hanky, not lend and its not a very nice comment is it. What would your mother think if she knew?

Reply Posted by Barnsley Truth on Thursday November 21 2013 at 16:22
To ??? Businesses don't just realise one day that they are going to go bust and then just go bust, it simply doesn't happen. A vast majority of businesses make a loss in the first year maybe even first two years, if a business plan was not Inplace to account for this then the proprietor has only himself to blame. As for taking deposits any responsible business would keep deposits in a separate holding account and if the worst happened pay it back. If this guy was using deposit money to try and keep the place afloat well that makes him little better than a thief. And the bookings diary in the hands of another restaurant, this diary was worth money so he sold it and pocketed the proceeds no doubt, in actual fact the diary is the property of his creditors so should be handed over to them.

Do not show this guy any sympathy but sorry to the staff you lot were conned as much as the customers

Reply Posted by ImNotStupid on Thursday November 21 2013 at 17:28
Kirsty - Your Dad did not accumulate those debts in a day! he would have known the business was in trouble weeks/months ago so regardless of whether an official decision was made to close or not after the bookings were taken is irrelevant if that much debt has accumulated in such a small period of time then he was in trouble when he took peoples money - and from reading the article its not just an odd tenner is it? And if it is true that £1500.00 was taken for a party knowing the business was in trouble is shameful. Not saying I do not have sympathy for your Dad but it was his decision to place the business on his house, just as it was his decision to keep taking peoples money - what choice does the lady have who has lost a huge amount of money putting faith into the Bistro for such a momentous occasion - the fact is the birthday will now be marred and memories ruined because of this.

Reply Posted by ??????? on Thursday November 21 2013 at 17:33
he comes from lundwood say no more

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Friday November 22 2013 at 09:04
What a stupid comment, many people come from Lundwood and turn out just fine, me included. I don't know the full story on this so wont make a comment, however having a dig at the rest of the area just because one person may / may not have done something wrong is out of order.!!!!

Reply Posted by Daz on Sunday November 24 2013 at 15:11
Oh please, Scumwood is full of the arse end of Barnsley people, nothing there but Doleys and Weed heads, horrid place.

Reply Posted by The Unit on Sunday November 24 2013 at 15:35
So True. I hate having to stop at the lights, I usually put my foot down. The WMC is always full of skiprats

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Monday November 25 2013 at 14:30
Wrong!

Reply Posted by ??????????? on Thursday November 21 2013 at 18:21
Kirsty- Your dad knew what he was doing as far as I am aware and to my knowledge he knew he was in trouble and had Cheques being returned bounced here there and everywhere by food suppliers yet he still took bookings EVEN in the weeks leading up to him closing. He also OWES staff wages for the week they worked before he shut and he is blatantly ignoring members of staff who are trying to get hold of him to find out when they'll get it. He should never have gone in to the catering business without having any knowledge of what he was doing and what the surrounding area wants in terms of places to eat. It's not him I feel sorry but my friend who was chef there and is now out of a job as well as the other staff who tried their best to make it work but didn't succeed thanks to this Numpty who obviously woke up and thought to himself " I know what I'll do today.... I'll open a bistros". Just one more thing now before I go.... C'mon Mr Perry pay your staff what you owe them.

Reply Posted by not yet on Thursday November 21 2013 at 18:30
Kirsty.i don't think your dad gave the business enough time,if he only opened in May,any new business with be very lucky to make any profit in the first 12months of trading.as for the high rents this would have been agreed prior to signing the lease...xmas coming up would have been a very busy time,sounds a bit iffy,,,

Reply Posted by dan on Thursday November 21 2013 at 18:59
Wow there are a lot of business people on here! I take it every one of you own successful businesses do you? Was any of you behind the scenes knowing the full details of what happened? I doubt it. So stop sitting behind your computers acting like you know everything. Cretins

Reply Posted by ian on Thursday November 21 2013 at 19:03
who the heck do you think you are..my mum lost money here,so you watch what your saying..

Reply Posted by barry on Thursday November 21 2013 at 19:48
Business my arse this man took more than profit to pay for his life style. We are after him for what he owes to staff. Watch out for nrws

Reply Posted by Kris m. on Thursday November 21 2013 at 19:48
Dan- I was one of the chef's there and I know what went off behind the scenes and all of these people commenting on here are justified in their comments. I feel terrible for the customer's who had paid a deposit and haven't got anywhere to go, I'd just like to say that it wasn't the staff's fault it closed as we tried our hardest to make it a success but unfortunately without the financial backing we could not do this. We WERE taking bookings and deposits up until the morning of the day he closed. As my friend has said on here Mark Perry still owes Money to me and other members of staff and has blatantly ignored any attempts by myself to get in contact with him. Without this money I can't afford to buy my daughter or my family any presents for Christmas as I was relying on it and I am still out of work thanks to him. I hope the people who have got the lease make a success of it and hopefully there might be a job there for me.

Reply Posted by Thegrimreaper on Thursday November 21 2013 at 20:54
Nice food but an absolute joke as far as a business goes!! Staff slagging the boss constantly in front of customers, I witnessed what I believe to be the bistro manager abuse customers.... Mark bragged about having an oven that cost £20k that could cook eggs, shame it couldn't run the business for him too, might have done ok then!!

Reply Posted by ?????? on Thursday November 21 2013 at 22:00
looks like tha coming back on taxis to pay thi way but don't run into anybodys house again lol

Reply Posted by Paul on Thursday November 21 2013 at 22:13
Good Luck to all who came out of this on the receiving end.

Reply Posted by Kpo on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:58
Just point out if he didn't continue to take bookings ect how could he of continued to give it a go or put more into it like so many have suggested? You have to spend money to make money unfortunately it didn't work out.

Reply Posted by trudy on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:19
You can't just blame Mark... He went in to this business with a partner, it was his business partner who had the had high hopes and wanted to live the dream, and now its Mark who is living the nightmare!!.... The partner couldn't stand the heat, so he got out of the kitchen!!!

Reply Posted by only asking on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:34
Why was the company still taking bookings? as Mark and business partner T,Left the company as Directors on the 16th JULY 2013,

Reply Posted by Donna D. on Saturday November 23 2013 at 09:19
Only asking- Mark was still running the place as I've met him when I've been in for a meal quite a few times. He seemed to me like he didn't know what he was doing so I'm not surprised it's closed but it's the chef's I feel sorry for as they were very talented Chefs however I have heard that it's re-opening with the chef before them who got all of the complaints. The new owners could do nothing better than hiring the two chefs that was there before it closed to do the cooking.

Reply Posted by Jim on Sunday November 24 2013 at 15:35
Any one looking for a part job as a steak chef in Wakefield contact me

Reply Posted by Smithy on Sunday November 24 2013 at 15:47
Grow up shit happens, and there's plenty of successful business people from lundwood

Reply Posted by LOL on Sunday November 24 2013 at 16:09
Yep the same chef who got the bistro all its bad reviews is soon to be working there again.... If any of you have any sense dont go. Cos he cant cook for s**t!!!!

Reply Posted by :) on Sunday November 24 2013 at 16:11
I also think unless anyone actually has a clue what ur all banging on about keep ya noses out and leave the poor bloke alone.... Also no one paid £1500 for catering!!!!! end of!

Reply Posted by lollypop on Sunday November 24 2013 at 16:30
I know but he resigned as a director and still took desposits which is theft,who was the money for when actually no one owned the company?

Reply Posted by You Wish! on Sunday November 24 2013 at 17:23
Investing in Barnsley is the biggest mistake 1 can make! Had business there for 4 years & I'm glad to see the back of it. Barnsley is the WORST town in Yorkshire full stop! Anyone who don't like what I say..... tough.. Barnsley is a dump & always will be.. I'm not the first to say it & I won't be the last! But I do feel sorry for those who have put faith in the business & paid booking deposits. My advice to them would be to do whatever it takes to make sure they get their money back whether it's lawfully or not.. How dare someone take deposits knowing his business is shutting down... Barnsley is so crap, even Barnsley FC is goin DOWN!!! ;-)

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Sunday November 24 2013 at 19:16
Except this business was in Rotherham but hey don't let that stop you talking crap.

Reply Posted by mick on Sunday November 24 2013 at 19:39
Hoyland red..Says it all.wrong time of MONTH,bitch

Reply Posted by :) on Sunday November 24 2013 at 19:48
whos arse you just dropped out of... queens????? Cant have been that bad for you to stick around for 4 years eh? dont let all our middle fingers hit u in the arse on way out :) also you need a geography lesson as you seem to have no idea where manvers actually is :)

Reply Posted by What? on Monday November 25 2013 at 09:55
@You Wish! How do they let people like you actually own businesses? Your a bit of a dummy lets me honest... Unless you actually owned a lemonade stall?

Take your comments elsewhere.

Reply Posted by Jilly on Sunday November 24 2013 at 19:02
You knob

Reply Posted by uh oh on Sunday November 24 2013 at 19:59
Apparently ive heard One of the chefs who worked there is also know as been a thief... apparently been sacked from previous employment for taking beer from behind the bar when they thought everyone had gone and meat when ever they wanted and got caught on cctv....apparently he's well know for it. Ive heard this from a few different people. so please dont take everything you read as the truth!!!! and they wonder why they are owed wages???????????

Reply Posted by Fool Above^^^^^^ on Sunday November 24 2013 at 20:40
"uh oh. " So please don't take everything you read as the truth"" No we won't you lying scumbag!!! Keep smoking the funny stuff your getting HILARIOUS;;

Reply Posted by D***Head Above ^^^^^ on Monday November 25 2013 at 11:36
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Bore off now you obviously have nothing better to do in that sad pathetic life of yours... Oh and obviously know nothing about whats happened :D loser!

Reply Posted by fooked off on Monday November 25 2013 at 16:11
I know were he lived if anyone wants to go get the money owed to them :)

Reply Posted by DK on Thursday November 28 2013 at 16:44
@uh oh. so the chef there is a thief and well known for it is he, is that why the employer's who sacked him unfairly has just paid out to stop him taking them to court? Also I'd be very careful about putting stuff like that on here because it's slander and it could come back to bite you in the arse. The chef in question along with the other chef was the best thing about The Bistro and it's such a shame they've lost their jobs.

Reply Posted by paul on Tuesday December 3 2013 at 01:21
Mark was working as a taxi driver at least 2 months before it closed , and going on jollies with the lads , work that one out!

Reply Posted by truth hurts on Sunday January 5 2014 at 21:08
mark was robbed by is partners and brain washed by chefs .