Barnsley Company's Expansion Continues

Friday November 22 2013

Nick Robertson Nick Robertson

FASHION giant ASOS now employs 3,000 members of staff - about the same number of men who worked at Grimethorpe Colliery in the 1970s.

Twenty years after the closure of the pit, and two years following the launch of ASOS's £20million warehouse on Park Spring Road, the factory now distributes tens of millions of orders per year to 200 countries worldwide.

Nick Robertson, chief executive of the firm, said long-term sustainability was central to the Grimethorpe strategy, through commerciality and community.

He added: "Taking Barnsley’s history of UK industry into the future through international opportunity - building skills and experiences for young people in the process - perfectly mirrors the spirit and values of the ASOS brand, and we're committed to continuing this approach alongside our ongoing investment."

The company has also launched a daily news channel called Just Happened.

Featured on the women's homepage, the channel will keep its audience up to date with the latest fashion, beauty, music and celebrity news, with an editorial team publishing news and videos throughout the day, seven days a week.

In addition to the commercial opportunities brought to Grimethorpe, ASOS also supports Grimethorpe Recreation Ground, Barnsley College, iTrust Barnsley, the Lamproom Theatre, and the Proud of Barnsley awards.

Reply Posted by John on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:04
Yeah, pity most of them are Polish.

Reply Posted by Me on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:10
Maybe that's because the Polish have a better work ethic. There are so many people on here who will admit they would rather carry on taking JSA than work there. Surely any job should be better than none at all. As for agency workers, so what, I know of quite a few people who have worked through agencies and then been set on full time.

Reply Posted by David on Sunday November 24 2013 at 08:44
The Polish have a better working ethic? Absolute nonsense, if you went to a country where you were earning a higher wages then im sure that would motivate you to do more hours too. With the living costs of today it is hard to just accept agency work as some weeks you will not be working full weeks and you have next to no rights until you've worked so many hours without having a break - when you have children this is not viable, you simply cannot be without money. I work as an agency worker but im fortunate enough to have full time hours all of the time with the firm i am with.. But i know a lot of people in the position above who struggle to get by when not working full weeks,

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 18:51
Spot on David, they are here for one thing and one thing only MONEY!

I know a Polish bus river that works for Arriva in Wakefield earning a respectable £23k a year.
He was a bus driver in Gdansk Poland earning £9k a year.

No brainer is it really....

Reply Posted by ONLY ME on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 18:57
bus driver,don;t let your guard down STEVEO

Reply Posted by x on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:18
me stop looking through rose tinted glasses,i know a guy that was set on there a couple of months ago and in the last 3 wks has add 4 days work,what good is that to a man tryiong to support his family,thats why people dont want to work there not because they dont want work its because they do

Reply Posted by fawkes on Saturday November 23 2013 at 00:40
Your a knob

Reply Posted by Dave on Saturday November 23 2013 at 11:11
If you're going to insult someone, make sure you don't leave yourself open to a response by failing to know the difference between your and you're and thus make yourself a worthy candidate for the insult you throw.

Reply Posted by itsallafront on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:18
yeah there wern't many zero hours contracts and foreigners working at Grimey pit when i was there

Reply Posted by ex pit lad on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:30
yes Asos may employ 100,s of workers. but grimey pit paid wages which you could feed your families and have a warm house..,not peanuts like ASOS.

Reply Posted by Industry on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:34
I for one would rather Asos be in Barnsley than have no Asos. The wage may not be brilliant and there may be a high foreign workforce but there is a job there at the end of the day. The clues in the name "work" it isn't supposed to be fun and games.

Reply Posted by sam on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:40
were as any stated fun and games..Barnsley folk are on about full time work and not zero hrs contract,you can,t run a home,feed the family on 1 day work here and there,so stop spouting dribble,,alot of Barnsley folk WILL work..

Reply Posted by Fawkes on Saturday November 23 2013 at 00:42
ASOS is A SLUM FIRM . SLAVE LABOUR

Reply Posted by nick on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:55
my wife works there n sed to a team leader work or no work i'm not going home, he replied thats ok you(as in workforce) don't have to, its volentry. so the ppl that go home must want to. only adding what i hear.

Reply Posted by Terry on Friday November 22 2013 at 15:58
My son has just be let go from there, nope Zero hour contract are usless to anyone that have a family and Morgage. The last week he was there they called him 3 days on the trot to not go in as there was no work. Now when you are looking at work YES you expect to work a minimum number of hours. Now a 37.5 hour week is the norm in the UK and when you say WORK ETHIC Me, have you actually tried supporting a family and pay the bills on a wage that's not garenteed to be a minimum working week!!! That is what they say in there T&C that you can be flexed down at amoments notice and this is for those people WITH CONTRACTS let alone Agancy staff. Agency Staff don't get me wrong are more than likely to be great workers and so wil the people con contracts BUT when you cannot be garenteed a MINUMIM WAGE then thats when you cannot justify working for this type of company. Soory but in the end they are just working the loophole system that the Government has left open with the Zero Hour Contract and this should be CLOSED.

Reply Posted by me on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:00
tell all polish workers it was Houghton main not grimey. a shud no, a walked it there 15 years.

Reply Posted by where on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:30
me,Where the heck was you walking from if it took you 15 YEARS..POLAND!

Reply Posted by lee griffiths on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:19
I was offered a position there when it first opened as a "trainer" , I decided not to take the offer as pay was,nt brill , but from what I,ve heard its a terrible place to work....that's why there is such a high staff turnaround , theres always vacancies...in my eyes that dose,nt make for a good company to work for.....nick Robertson.......more like nick bullshitter

Reply Posted by ella on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:26
What happens at xmas day when employees are asked to take holiday because theres no work my man has no hols left. He wont be going home with no pay he will be staying especially if its voluntary. Which means asos will have to pay him.

Reply Posted by asos4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:30
Barnsley born and bred here. Asos are treating us all to a £1300 bonus this christmas. Name me 3 companies in Barnsley that can beat that. Go...

Reply Posted by KEN on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:39
I worked there 3 years,i never heard about the bonus..why lie..

Reply Posted by bag4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:29
asos4life sadly you forgot to put your real name..""ARSEHOLE4LIFE""

Reply Posted by FAWKES on Saturday November 23 2013 at 00:46
KNOB

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday November 23 2013 at 02:35
asos4life you got it partly right. It's for staff that got full time contracts before August, also if you didn't get a warning which most have, over really petty things.

The way I see it is, their not doing it for the workers benefit, it's for their own. It's like a charity. In other words its a tax dodge.

Reply Posted by Asos Worker on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:09
The bonus is divisive. It's only being paid to a small number of staff. Half the workforce are excluded as they are agency. The NDL staff have so many "performance infringements" on their records (for petty, unreasonable things) that they too are ineligible.

Reply Posted by asos4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:47
3 years? And you accuse me of lying? The site hasnt even been operational for 3 years. Just like 99% of others that put the place down, you know **** all Kenneth.

Reply Posted by shithole4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:57
hope you enjoy your Bonus,(lying scumbag) the company treat its staff like dirt.you must be a fool who dreams a lot,the company is that good(all laugh) it hires and fires 100,s weekly,so get a grip you troll!

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:52
I worked there when I was bout 18,19 they treat mi like shit made me work weekends threatened me with the sack if I didn't work even when I had days off they would ring me askin me to work said no and in the end they sacked me cos my child was seriously I'll and I couldn't get to work cos my child wa in children hospital in Sheffield

Reply Posted by grafter on Friday November 22 2013 at 16:58
Shouldve worked weekends then....

Reply Posted by x on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:03
the only people saying that you should work at asos are the ones who are employed somewhere else with contracted hrs and a garanteed wage every week,if they had kids at home and were getting up at the crack of dawn every day not knowing if theres going to be any work for them or not they might have a different opinion

Reply Posted by true on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:07
x HERE HERE,the zero hr contracts are a disgrace.just looks good on the unemployment figures,has you are classed as working.so sad Cameron visited the other week and nothing mentioned about how the staff are treated...

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:15
@grafter I was a single parent tryin my hardest to pay for my house n child I have no parents as they died just a few months after I was born i worked for 2 months without a weekend off I wanted to take my child to the seaside as a treat as I barely saw her I did nothing wrong for them to sack me ur pickin faults with me when I am the one who is not in the wrong they was

Reply Posted by meolbamboo on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:24
@asos4life hahaha you lying scumbag! ;)

Reply Posted by AHR on Monday November 25 2013 at 12:43
He should be called Arsehole for life !

Reply Posted by asos4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:35
Still nobody commenting about our bonus but plenty accusing me of lying. Just goes to show that none of these hate posts are made by genuine asos employees. Im also waiting on someone getting back to me with 3 barnsley firms that can beat our bonus.

Reply Posted by ron on Saturday November 23 2013 at 09:22
Dad worked there part-time as he likes to keep busy not cos he needs the job,ex miner, and was a manager in his last role before he semi retired, he is a hard worker always on time, never sick. He said it was the worst place he had ever worked at and couldn't believe that a place could get away with how ASOS treat their staff. He had to leave because he would probably have ended up with a warning as he struggled to get round the floor quick enough to hit quota

A lot of people say polish people have a better work ethic. Don't confuse work ethic with "settling for less" Zero hours are bad for the economy, bad for workers rights and bad for everyone else as driving down wages will only impact the working classes. asos4life tell the truth, you might have it cushty with your job but its clear thats not the whole story, and you haven't published the terms of the bonus I hope for your sake you don't get a warning for some petty misdemeanour, wouldn't that be embarrassing?

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:45
What a load of crap you people talk. I have worked at asos for just over 2 years and if you keep your head down, do your work and get on with it you will get a full time contract. 37 hours a week. If you don't hit the performance targets or you're constantly off sick you're not going to get a contract. Simple as that. You get a 12 month rota so if you are unable to work your life around it what do you expect. The company doesn't hire and fire 100's weekly. If people are unable to arrive at work on time and do their job then they don't deserve a job and the agency won't put up with people like that when there are plenty of other people wanting jobs. What's wrong with that? Don't blame the company because you're scared of a bit of hard work. People want everything for nothing. I for one shall enjoy spending my £1300 bonus next week. Cheers Mr Robertson!

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:10
£1300 bonus please clarify as I am interest,is that shared between the 3000 workers?is that 43p each?

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:10

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:10

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:10

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:10

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:10

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:10

Reply Posted by TO LOL on Sunday November 24 2013 at 10:07
7 TIMES YOU CAP LOCKS MUPPET!

Reply Posted by meolbamboo on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:48
@ASOS#1 well said!

Reply Posted by asos4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:52
@ASOS#1 glad to hear from a colleague with their head screwed on and not up in the clouds. I wish I knew who you were so I could buy you a drink but you will be able to buy plenty of your own this time next week ;-)

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday November 22 2013 at 17:58
Err a don't think so I worked hard very hard and on time every day and I work over time to get a bit extra cash for 2 months I asked for the weekend off which was sat n sun so ur tellin me they had the right to sack me no they didn't I worked my life around the job 2 months I didn't see my child properly and u try n do what I did without any parents or grandparents or any siblings. I lived I care from 3 months old till I was 16 they helped find accommodation n i lived on my own with no help so don't try n beat me down makin out I had done something u wasn't there so u no know naff all u Muppet just because u av had a good experience working with them doesn't mean I didn't n plus am 25 years old now so this happened along time before u worked there so piped down cos u no nothing bout my experience working with asos

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:01
@John I think you'll find the majority of Asos employees are local white british people not that that makes any difference. We are all there to WORK. @asos4life. Haha I shall enjoy those drinks too. I'll raise a glass to all the non-believers and the lazy arses on our staff night out next saturday! I'm just going to have a little nap before tonights shift with all my english, irish, scottish, polish, african, russian, ukranian, portuguese and every other nationality colleagues that I work with.

Reply Posted by asos4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:04
Lauren if you are 25 and worked there when you were 18/19 what were you doing? Steel erecting? Because it wouldve still been a building site back then. And im the one being accused of lying?

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:08
@lauren. I am sorry to hear that your life has been so difficult. Really I am. Everyone that works there is seen the same and that's how it should be. If you wanted a weekend off you should have booked holidays and if they were refused then that is bad luck. Anyway, like you say I wasn't there and I don't know what happened so I'm not going to act like I do. I do know that if you are 25 now and worked there when you were 18 that isn't chronologically possible. The site as only been open nearly 3 years...

Reply Posted by asos4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:11
We heard you the first time. And no.

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:12
@inandout no that's each. Not to brag but it's actually 1350. I hope you used a calculator to work out it would be 43p each. Or maybe you didn't which is why you posted it 7 times because you were so proud of your mathematical skills.

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:16
how many employee,s will receive this.i am going to run a newsletter about such a great boss you have,so make sure the facts are correct!!

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:13
well break it down for us,us WABers are very interested

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:16
@inandout what do you want us to breakdown. 1350 pounds in my account on Friday 29th November for being a committed employee with a contract and no live disciplinary.

Reply Posted by ray on Saturday November 23 2013 at 09:26
1350 is that pre or post tax? if its' pre - oh dear you may have to rethink those drinks you arse

Reply Posted by Asos asos on Saturday November 23 2013 at 09:41
The staff are dreaming if there think there are going to get a bonus,you have a have a clean disciplinary record plus attendance,watch how many get a black mark just before the deadline for bonus payment.A shit company who treats its staff like crap..do not pay anything out,it has the biggest turnover of staff than any other uk based..Zero hr contracts and annualised hrs,agency staff.no chance of getting a mortage,finance,pensions with not a stable guaranteed hrs,2013 and the country is letting companies mess with workers lifes...

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:19
I only asked how many employee.s would receive this amount.will make a good story for the Barnsley folk to read in December issue..

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:23
@inandout I've no idea how many. It's applicable to all employees at the site. Managers, team leaders, HR, cleaners etc. Everyone who completed their probation before 1st October is entitled to it unless they have a live disciplinary.

Reply Posted by asos4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:26
@ inandout We (the shop floor workers) dont know how many are being paid. The criteria to recieve the bonus was only 6 months service with no live disiplinaries. Still nobody getting back to me with these 3 other companies beating it though. I will give you a chance and accept 2 WAB.

Reply Posted by inandout on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:30
thanks for that,enjoy your xmas

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:32
@asos4life I think you might be waiting a while! Haha

Reply Posted by ASOS#6 on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:35
Yes this bonus is £1350 (minus tax and national insurance of course) for permanent employees who have worked hard and have no disciplinary against them at the moment. I've been there 2 1/2 years and yes it can be hard work, but there a lot of people who think they should be paid just for turning up. Needless to say, they don't last long. I don't know who ASOS4life and ASOS#1 are but I assume they've been there almost as long if not longer. If you get your head down and do the work you are paid to do, it really isn't a bad place to work.

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 18:42
@ASOS#6 I've been there almost 2 and 1/2 years. I agree with you, it's the people that last a week that give the place a bad name. The majority of people who have been there a while would agree with us.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Friday November 22 2013 at 20:46
ASOS#1 the country of origin of employees at ASOS has often been raised by posters on here with wildly exagerated figures of 90% of all employees being East European or that only East Europeans are being set on there. As you appear to be an employee there, what would you say is the 'mix' of peoples countries of origin in the section that you work in? I appreciate it's not an exact science and you'll certainly not be held to account by me regardless of the figures, but I just wondered.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday November 22 2013 at 21:50
HR I think you will find that the percentage is now 52% Eastern Europeans.
The 90+% figure you are thinking of is Symphony just a bit further back up the road.

Oh nearly forgot to mention, Asos have now had (up to press) NINE THOUSAND employees through its doors in the short time it has been in its existence in Barnsley.

Tis REALLY a good employer for our town isn't it?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday November 22 2013 at 21:55
P.S just wanted to add that the figure is 1% up on last years figure as Asos are actively recruiting directly via agencies in Poland / Eastern Europe now.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 21:57
I was chatting with an asos employee today,and asked her about her job. She said its hard work yes,and you have three strikes and you're out. She said they are strict but fair and she has worked there for 2½yrs. She says she just gets on with it and its OK? I'm only posting her opinions, not saying I agree with the carry on.

Reply Posted by LOL on Friday November 22 2013 at 22:02
Sid didn,t know you could speak Polish or did she have an interpreter present..

Reply Posted by sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 22:05
Haha,very good. LOL. I do speak to the poles though too, they seem OK but who knows?

Reply Posted by ang on Friday November 22 2013 at 19:54
my son worked there 6 months through agency. Never a day off or late . Did his last shift on a mon txt him on tues to say u bin laid off. Only to find same agency urgently needing staff for yes asos what a joke.

Reply Posted by Alex on Saturday November 23 2013 at 02:58
Hi Ang. All agencies are the same, they are all hire and fire companies. We are all to blame for it, we don't want unions and we all have the "I'm all right Jack " attitude
So until the unions form a new Party and put them in Government, we will have to stick it. For none of these morons we have "in Government" or in the "Shadow cabinet" will alter that!

Reply Posted by Polish Stan on Friday November 22 2013 at 21:04
You English are lazy work shy tourists.you want everything for nothing. Your attitude stinks you don't wash and feed your children junk food.your wives are disloyal and you are all in debt to every one. We polish work hard shares houses and send money back home to family. Thank you MR Cameron andMr Robinson Asos uk.

Reply Posted by asos4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 21:09
It's no secret that they employ a large number of foreign workers. Theyre not all eastern european, it is very multicultural and most people integrate well. I'd say it was around 60% British but I would like to hear my colleagues thoughts and estimations .

Reply Posted by AsosAsosAsos on Friday November 22 2013 at 21:14
on the shop floor were I work,i would say 40% British and the rest are made up of foreign workers,not all are Polish..

Reply Posted by asos4life on Friday November 22 2013 at 21:14
Speaking as someone who has Polish friends, I dare say that Polish Stan is 100% not Polish and just a little troll.

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 21:49
@HoylandRed I would probably agree with asos4life and say there is about 60% white british. on the night shift anyway. Maybe a little more

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 22:25
@STEVEO where do you get this information about them recruiting directly from Eastern Europe? I find that very hard to believe. @sid she obviously shares the opinion that myself and asos4life have. Keep your head down get on with it and it's a decent job. The majority of problems posted here are with the agency. I don't see anyone commenting about there job after getting there contract with UCL/NDL. Correct me if I'm wrong. @LOL maybe you should try to make friends with some polish. They have lots of sausage to choose from cipeczko

Reply Posted by sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 22:35
@ASOS#1 Ihave also spoken to youths who will not work at ASOS as they say its degrading. I can't blame the poles if they are searching for work,the work ethic is there and not with some of our own. The problem is that the jobs should be taken by our own first. I suppose the only answer is maybe benefits should be low enough to make our youths get a job there. BUT Asos policy's do not sit easy in my mind, with the zero contracts. They do have a bad name,and I'm only going on what I have perceived along the way through word of mouth. Steveo,s posts do open your eyes and make you think.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday November 23 2013 at 12:27
sid, you cant say "the jobs should be taken by our own first" as the namby pamby politically correct idiots that post on here will tell you its racist!

I agree though, but I would be even more radical, I would put a workplace "cap" on migrant workers of 10/1000 to ensure our own, local people at least get a chance to gain fruitful employment.
Then I would abolish zero hours contracts and introduce harsh agency legislation to stop them (agencies) from taking advantage of the people they "employ".

Everything goes through agencies these days because it is often cheaper for employers to recruit via agencies that to recruit via their own respective HR teams.

However, some things do no stack up financially , if say an employer is paying an agency £16 an hour for labour but the rate of pay the company pay is say £10 an hour to a normal employee, then why not set the employee on directly on £10 an hour?
Daft isn't it?

luckily, our employer "saw the wood for the trees" and started setting people on directly after they had done 3 months with the agency if the work was there.

Many employers like using agency workers as they can pick and choose who they want working for them and the "great" flexibility that having agency workers working for them provides.
However, it is not good for the agency worker themselves as just by simply working for one of these "hire and fire" agencies brings about anxiety about the job, am I going to get laid off? where will they send me next?

These agencies DO NOT comply with the legislation that is enshrined in law to protect the people the employ.
Some employers and agencies actively collude to ensure that people are treated like shit and wages are driven down.

Before folk on here start bleating about me "agency bashing" , yes I dare say there are some good ones out there, but there are also many, many bad ones.
The one I worked for was absolute garbage, wages paid incorrectly, had to wait more than 3 months for a holiday pay "breakdown", 3 weeks to get my week in hand money back and I could never get in touch with anyone at the agency that would give me a straight answer to straightforward employment questions that agencies are obliged by and legislated against, by law, to answer.

After 6 months on the agency I was given a direct contract with the company I work for, thank god!

Back to ASOS:

isn't it surprising that Asos have posted massive profit figures and have just announced a massive expansion of their warehouse at Grimethorpe?
These obscene profits have been made off the backs of the hardworking people who's wages they have actively supressed by employing them via agencies, a large majority of which are employed on "annualised" or zero hours contracts.

Whilst ever the internet shopping age is alive and well, Asos will rise meteorically and sales will grow year on year as will the hefty profits, the owner of Asos will be rubbing his grubby little hands with great gusto all the while the people "he" employs will be subjected to crap wages, working for a crap company ,no pension, no future and no hope.
People should not be having to be living week by week, wondering if they are going to get a full week in next week or a day in the week after.

Does beg the question:

AT WHAT PRICE PROFIT?

Zero Hours contracts:

In my opinion Zero hours contracts should be made illegal as the only people that benefit are the companies that employ people on them, they save on holiday pay, pension and tax liabilities.

Again - AT WHAT PRICE PROFIT?

The biggest employers who employ people on ZHC's are as follows;

Sports Direct 90% on ZHC's (massive profits)
JD Wetherspoon 80% on ZHC's (massive profits)
Macdonalds 90% on ZHC's (massive profits)

These are just the tip of the iceberg The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) estimates that there are 1,000,000 people on zero hours contracts here in the UK.

Funny isn't it that the three major employers who use ZHC's have posted massive profits year on year isn't it?

AT WHAT PRICE PROFIT!

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday November 23 2013 at 12:48
@steveo. I agree with you. I'm just digging into my brain now,but I have always,by law,had to give an employee a contract of work within 3?? Months of their employment starting. Guessing 3 months as its a long while since any of my staff have moved on. I would have to read up again? Or would I? Employment laws must have changed or have I missed the loophole that Asos have found. I had never heard of zero hours contract until these threads. To me it is immoral and could very well be the downfall of the country. Everyone needs financial stability for housing etc. As things are going with the benefits cut backs what will a family do when as a poster said earlier he had only 3days work? He won't qualify for benefits,so won't pay his mortgage. I have noticed there are some smug folk on here,and what they must realise is,they are only a nod away from being told to go home you're not needed today. Again immoral and I certainly think our leaders are dispicable for slowing this to happen to the country's workforce. My god,its a jump back in time!

Reply Posted by Asos on Friday November 22 2013 at 22:48
It's true we are getting a bonus
I work with mainly English people and I am on nearly 9 pounds an hour
If youre a worker they will reward you
Ive worked there for two years and have made some lovely genuine friends

Reply Posted by sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 22:52
@asos, I'm just wondering, if its a zero contract policy, how do you carry on if you need a mortgage or a loan for a car? Usually,the criteria for both of these things are full time and safe employment? Just wondering?

Reply Posted by kool on Friday November 22 2013 at 22:52
I work at asos for 18 months,and I have not heard anything about any bonus,nor have my work mates.

Reply Posted by Asos on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:08
Hi Sid IM not on a zero hours contract and to be honest I dont know anybody that is

Reply Posted by Lol on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:09
Ha ha ha ha ha what a croc of shit this post is. Yeah they might employ 3000 people but how can you compare that to grimey pit when it's built on houghton main. Yes they are giving a bonus out but if you've got any kind of warning you don't get it or in your probationary period you don't get or if your on agency either. Even security don't get it and they've been there just as long as every body else. Oh yes there is a lot of Europeans working there I work there in picking so I should know. I'm getting my bonus tho ha

Reply Posted by sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:14
Hi Lol..are you on zero contract? Its all sounding mixed up over there? Is there anybody there to represent the employees? Not good about the security staff. Again,sounds unfair! By the way,,,enjoy you're bonus tho,nice for Xmas!

Reply Posted by @asos on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:11
If uve got your contact for NDL you won't be but the agency staff will be you bell end. But what about annualised hours it's all to control you

Reply Posted by sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:20
It all sounds confusing. Bring back the old days! If you had a job,you had a job,you could get a mortgage,car etc..plan your life. It all sounds uncertain and not good. I'm an employer and to be honest after tonight,I feel proud I'm old fashioned. I'm feeling for the asos guys,it all seems a world away from contentment.

Reply Posted by jase on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:28
So true Sid.Asos doesn't seem a place to work for a stable future,pension holidays mortgageAsos just mess with people lifes,Asos need go give full time permanent positions to those who are willing to Work..non of this agency crap and Zero hrs..just a thought!

Reply Posted by . on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:15
Not everyone on annualised hours

Reply Posted by @asos#1 on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:17
Yeah they hire direct from a abroad I know a few Europeans that was hired from abroad and it was worst mistake of there lives

Reply Posted by Lol on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:26
No not on a zero hour contract but on shitty annualised hours that ruin ya life. But I've got to pay at least some of the bills ha ha.If your with agency you can laid off at any time or sent one of there's no work. And the divy that says he's on nearly £9 hour must work on nights. @. Yes true not every1 is on annualised hours but for us that are its shit

Reply Posted by @sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:28
Bring back the old days I sure do miss them. That's how things should be run. People used to be proud to go to work now they go for the sake of it.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:43
Without steveos poists I knew nothing of the Asos situation. Suppose as a small business (30 yrs) we all , (me and my gang) live in a bubble. In the real world,its all going wrong! Politicians! Their job should be to look after the British people!! Failed!

Reply Posted by sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:35
Well, good on you Lol. It does sound bad! I reckon when you think about it (don't know your age) Steveos posts take us to how it should be. Every worker,when employed by a company like Asos should have representation. All this goes against all I stand for within my little company,but it seems to me its the way things are going to go in future. I take my hat off to you. Also,after all this time,its good to have a proper set of posts with you! I knew you had a brain . Not being Skitty there,I mean that.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday November 23 2013 at 12:41
Sid, as far as I am concerned everyone should be in a trade union.
Unions didn't die after the miners strike, they are still around and have had massive successes but things like this hardly ever gets any publicity as the right wing press actively supress the information from the masses.

Unions have had to modernise due to Tory governments introducing sweeping legislation changes to attack the union movement and the workers that they represent.

If unions were allowed in every workplace up and down the country then a better country and a better world of work it would be.

Reply Posted by Lol on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:37
@sid we don't have a union but we have the forum reps there's sum realy good ones on it and they do help you out. But there leader is so far up HR arses it's unreal. Nowt beats a proper union tho.

Reply Posted by sid on Friday November 22 2013 at 23:47
Hey Lol, I agree with you 100%! The unions were smashed with the pits and now look what's happening. Its going backwards for the working man. Its disgusting. Don't know if you can,but train up and do something else Lol. All this has opened my eyes for sure.

Reply Posted by ang on Saturday November 23 2013 at 09:00
Its ok saying young ones dont want work some of them do my son took a job there even though his mates warned him not to. Its not getting anyone off benefits just giving them a few months work then putting them back on benefits. I know of a lot of people whose worked there for agency and not been set on so dont blame people for not wanting to work there. Out of the ten people who started with my son two were given contracts and yes the two were polish. Its ok saying its the agencies to blame but asos is letting it happen.

Reply Posted by ang on Saturday November 23 2013 at 09:43
Someone mentioned in a earlier post about recruiting for staff in eastern europe. I also got told of this by my son the other day. And he got told by one of the poles he used to work with. Cos he said his friend is coming over to work there.

Reply Posted by asos4life on Saturday November 23 2013 at 09:48
You leave for a few hours and look what happens, the people who think they know how it is take over and start throwing their biased and mostly untrue statements around. The only people on this thread who can really say anything about the place are us, the employees, and we're pretty happy. I dont care what happened to your friends sister in laws cousin, theyre just disgruntled ex employees that didnt pull their weight so blame the company to save face. Those of us that have worked here for a good couple of years understand what is required of us and we do it. Simple as that really. I will add that we have stated the terms and conditions of our bonus earlier in the thread and yes it is pre tax (so even my reward for working hard is lining doley pockets) but im still waiting on someone naming me at least 2 other employers in Barnsley that are beating that.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday November 23 2013 at 12:47
I don't work there, I have never worked there, I will never work there.

Most of the information I post on this forum comes directly from one of my oldest friends who is in the "upper echelons" of the management structure at Asos.

He is also looking round for a new job, hardly surprising really.
I wont tell you his bonus, but it is probably more than the salary you earn.

Good luck to you if you enjoy it, enjoy spending your bonus too, always nice to be rewarded for hard work.

Asos is certainly not for everyone, especially not me.
I was offered a job there a while ago and I turned it down flatly despite having the skills that they required for the job.

Reply Posted by ang on Saturday November 23 2013 at 10:11
Excuse me that comment i made came from an employee of the place. And u dont know my son so dont tell me he didnt pull his weight.

Reply Posted by brainwashed on Saturday November 23 2013 at 10:38
Most places have there yes men/arselickers, blindly defending the undefendable. Asos seems to have more than its fair share

Reply Posted by AI on Saturday November 23 2013 at 12:09
ASOS employs 1500 people-not sure where the 3,000 figure comes from? the site is to be extended but then will employ 2,000. The turnover of staff may be 3,000? any company can advertise jobs abroad (in Europe) as the economic treaty is open employment. My understanding is that profits are being shared with staff. The jobs are majority low skilled but they have a training programme that employees can progress through, like most large employers they recruit through agencies-this is to separate the slackers from ones with potential. Unfairly the agencies lay off people with potential not ASOS-this is to retain their contract with the company. ASOS contributes a lot to Barnsley's economy through business rates and the 1500 staff spending in local shops-would we be better off without it? No is the simple answer

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday November 23 2013 at 12:20
Its going backwards for people working there. From this thread,many cannot be called employees. Hire and fire at will,its reminiscent of the days when folk stood at the gates of factories and someone came out and picked who could work that day. If all employees adopt the zero contract mortgages will be a thing of the past. Will these company's then let workers rent tithe houses?

Reply Posted by better without Asos on Saturday November 23 2013 at 12:21
Degrading place full of crap managers and shite wages..

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday November 23 2013 at 14:02
I recently heard about some employees being "salaried" where this means they get paid the same wage each week,no overtime pay?
This is not Asos, but another quite big employer.
How the hell can that be right,but I know 100% its true.

Reply Posted by Tony on Saturday November 23 2013 at 17:15
I think the ones who have received a bonus have probably been paid to lie. The vast majority of comments tell it like it is. It is simply exploitation at its worst. It is an insult to the hard working class. Even Camaren acknowledged there were too many migrant workers there after his visit.
Quite simply put the zero hours are used to boost the owner's profit. They should hang their heads in shame!

Reply Posted by ASOSSOSAASOSASOS on Saturday November 23 2013 at 17:58
All Staff Over Stretched..,,All Salaries Often Shite...Agency Sends Other Sorts.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday November 23 2013 at 18:12
Steveo, Sid & Tony.

Why is it that most people on here regard 'profit' as a dirty work. 99% of all businesses are there purely to make a profit.

Some choose to do this by paying crap wages and not caring too much about their staff, some by paying well and caring for the staff. However, it boils down to whatever works for the company. Not many business are started with any other goal.
And before Steveo (aka Arthur Scargill) gets on his high horse, I employ 8 people all on well above the minimum wage, and I have excellent staff retention. But my goal is to make as much profit as possible, I choose to do this by looking after my staff and they work hard for the company. Ps none if them are in a union.
I am of the opinion, if your not happy do something else that will make you happy, don't whinge !

Pension funds are heavily reliant on such companies making 'obscene' profits.

All I would add that is these companies much ensure they pay there dues and demands in terms if taxation.
If HMRC collected all tax effectively and equally I very much doubt we would be in the mess we currently are.

Reply Posted by Richard on Saturday November 23 2013 at 19:25
Fred.You think the world is that easy,there is not a lot more things people can do,We all born with a silver spoon in our gobs,YOU jumped up smart arse..

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday November 24 2013 at 07:33
Fred, I agree with most of your post and hats off to you for looking after your staff.
Irrespective of everyone's individual beliefs, your staff earn you your profits whether you agree or not.

Obviously all businesses strive to make a profit, that's why they are set up is it not?

However, when one looks at the Asos "example" one sees that the employees are effectively harangued into working for a pittance on very poor contract terms all whilst the fat cats at the top make millions of pounds off the backs of those hard working employees that effectively create the wealth for the company.

As for the Arthur Scargill / Union comment, it is no secret that I am a third generation trade unionist, my father and his father before him.
Most certainly not a case of being a "red ragger" and not in it for ones own interest, in fact in the workplaces I have worked at and been union branch secretary I have never taken any sort of "salary" or expenses for the role I had been doing, it is all about the people who elected me to represent them as far as I am concerned.
Some may say I am foolish and I should get everything I possibly could for carrying out the role I did, but, I am a person with principles and money has no interest to me.

As for the "if you aren't happy then find something else" comment, have you actually tried to get a job in our town and the surrounding areas in the last few years?

I was made redundant just over two years ago and I applied for 194 jobs within four days and the only people I heard from were agencies wanting to "place" me with an employer.
I also sent my CV to dozens of agencies in the Yorkshire area to no avail.

It is extremely hard to find work in our town and I dare say nigh on impossible if a person doesn't have their own transport.
The jobs that are available IN our town almost all exclusively pay the benchmark minimum wage, just last week I went into the Job Centre with my good friend who had just been made redundant and there were probably only a dozen jobs that paid more than the minimum wage.

The minimum wage and zero hours contracts are NOT good for our economy nor are they good for the person that has to endure the job and contract.
Unemployment figures look good because Joe Bloggs on his zero hours contract is paying his tax and NI (depending on how many hours he has worked that week mind).

On taxation, this year has seen the sharpest rise in "tax avoidance" in the entire history of the uk hundreds more companies have moved their head offices abroad to cut their UK tax liabilities, again NOT good for our economy.

The "big six" energy companies are prime example as the majority of them don't pay corporation tax as they are based "off shore" even though their profits come from uk taxpayers.

Off at a slight tangent here but a classic example of corporate greed is inventor James Dyson who invented multi cyclone technology vacuum cleaners.
He was not happy that his uk workers (who had already made him a multi millionaire) were costing him so much in wages so what did he do?
He moved the entire production line to Malaysia where he knew he could get his rather over priced products manufactured at less than a sixth of the UK manufacturing costs.
Money, money, money, he didn't give a monkeys about his UK workers that had created his vast wealth all he was interested in was creating more wealth for himself

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday November 23 2013 at 18:43
@fred, I agree with your post mostly,in fact it could have,in part been written by me. The thing that's so wrong is the zero contract. As an employer,I had no idea that this was legal. The employment laws that I follow are thankfully a million miles away from those of Asos. Its immoral,and I'm sure is going to deeply effect this country if all employers follow suit.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday November 23 2013 at 18:57
I must say though Fred. You make it sound so easy, the whingers should stop moaning and if they're not happy move on? If only it was as cut and dry as that. The jobs are not there. I agree profits must be made,but not at all costs. I can't see how giving employees a decent contract would badly effect profits to be fair. Its wrong.

Reply Posted by Tony on Saturday November 23 2013 at 19:26
Fred
I appreciate what you're saying and if your employees are not on zero contracts then you're doing nothing wrong. I know all businesses are are in it to make profit. But we must remember Marx's theory that the worker and the employer need each other.
Without a workforce the employer can't survive. Without an employer the worker can't maintain a decent living. That's why it is important to look after employees. But there is a difference between profit and greed and that is exactly the case with zero contracts.
I'm not whinging. I am fortunate to be still be in work at my age. A job I love. I started work at 15 in 1971. A time when you could walk into a job without application forms. I've worked for the private sector for 20years and the rest in the public sector. You see I did exactly what you're suggesting. I wasn't happy so I left the private sector.
We need the private sector but the workers need to be treated with dignity and respect and paid a descent living wage. In return the employer will gain hard working loyal employees like the staff you say you employ.
The zero contracts are meant work both ways. Ie the employee can choose whether to work that day requested. However, if they don't then the company finishes their contract or makes life difficult until they leave. I would never accept a zero hours contract.

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday November 23 2013 at 19:36
That, Tony, is what I,m talking about! Well said.! There are times when our work is slow and my easy option would be to lay off a couple of guys, but I never have and never will. You have to look at the bigger picture.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday November 23 2013 at 19:42
Tony I agree with you 100%.

What I disagree with all the people on here thinking all the rights should be with the employee and they should dictate to the employers.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday November 24 2013 at 16:18
Do I take it that comment was aimed at me Fred?

The union / management "relationship" is a two way street, I worked for one of the biggest oil companies in the world who were extremely good and we nearly always came to an agreement as we both had the companies and employees best interests at heart.

I also worked for a large Spanish steel company who "inherited" the company for a "token" sum (absolutely no details from me) and they effectively ran the company into the ground, made scores of people redundant and (eventually) replaced them with agency staff.

As part of my union duties at the steel company I was a health and safety representative and introduced a new monthly safety auditing scheme which effectively cut accident rates from nearly 60 a year to two or three.

Not all are of us are "red sabre rattling union officials" the large majority of union officials do have a positive impact on modern workplaces.

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday November 23 2013 at 19:47
Richard.

You have no sensible argument so you resort to abusing me.! Typical
There is always something you can do, but I'm guessing you choose not to, it's so much easier to blame someone else !

FYI I most certainly was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I was born on Athersley north !!!

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Saturday November 23 2013 at 19:55
Fred@ Probably born with a joint in your mouth then.

Reply Posted by Mum of three on Saturday November 23 2013 at 20:58
Do you know what I have read quite a few of these posts.
But one thing I will say in regards to the post thats says the bonus is a tax thing for the owner.
So what, if the workers at this place will benefit then surely thats a good thing.
A good Christmas for people that deserve it
He could have given it to someone else but he didnt
Lets hope he needs to do the same thing every year
Im glad for everyone who is getting good for you

Reply Posted by Tony on Saturday November 23 2013 at 21:37
Sid, Fred
I think if ASOS were to take a leaf out of your book they would have a regular workforce that would be committed and look forward to going to work, knowing they will be going back the next day. Knowing they can make commitments such as a holiday. You are right too how could our leaders have allowed this to happen

Reply Posted by sid on Saturday November 23 2013 at 21:59
The thing is Tony, I can only see more employers jumping on this bandwagon. Howhas it come to this? It,all be the call centres next , just wondering if this zero contract policy is used all over Europe?

Reply Posted by -_- on Sunday November 24 2013 at 01:02
I find it quite funny that there's magically been a lot of ASOS people with 'ASOS usernames' defending the company on this post when they know if they slated the company with their real names, they'd get disciplined. The company has a ridiculous turnover of staff and the 'workers' (that's what Cameron loves to define those who work for agency staff) are treated ridiculous. They can't book off holidays as everyday seems 'booked up or full up' so you go through 3 months of working (albeit weekends) without being able to have a holiday, if you're late by a second you get your wage docked that'll be about £1.50 of a wage but these type of events could be caused by barriers not functioning properly (as yes the company has barriers everywhere with security guards as the company doesn't trust no employees and everyone is deemed to be a thief). Team leaders (or line managers) bully others - I know somebody who has had a slight learning disability who struggled with spatial awareness got yelled at because they weren't fast enough. When, it's summertime they don't have no policies in place to deal with hot temperatures and employees often suffer from sunstroke, if you have an accident caused by any of the apparatus at the place, it's your fault not their fault and could get warnings or sacked if you said it happened at the warehouse.

Now, you try explaining this to people who are high up the 'upper echelons' and they'll just see it from a profiting point of view - 'oh it'll bring jobs to the local economy' when in fact all they're bringing is jobs that are often viewed as short term replacements than long term ones that is needed for Barnsley's economy.

Reply Posted by king louis on Sunday November 24 2013 at 08:42
biggest turnover of staff in Europe says something really bad about their employer ethics... I met several of their managers through work and they are all on an ego trip..they live and breathe "the company" and expect others to be the same... it would never suit people who need a life as well

Reply Posted by gaz on Sunday November 24 2013 at 08:55
I dont work their but my friend who does says its a con they set people on to get money off the goverment, then they txt u at 3 am to day dont cum in theirs no work, if theirs no work why keep settin people on.their just conin the government for free money, and the priminister was their prassin how good they are, shows how much that idiot no's.

Reply Posted by m day on Sunday November 24 2013 at 09:14
cameron said in his speech about ASOS that this was a model co. He clearly understands, and is conscious how this co. is run. in another speech he said that Austerity was to be the "Normal" in other words all workers will be treated the same way as this model co. eventually. zero hour contracts, longer hours for some, higher work loads etc. Its called paying for the world economic crisis that started in 2008. these forces the banks and financial institutions that created this crisis along with the media who now create a situation that pits workers against workers. i was a miner during the eighties, the same situation was created then the ones that are responsible for this mess are the ones that get away with it and escape under the radar that's the UNIONS since 2008 for example thieve managed to stifle strike after strike, any struggle by workers even when theirs been overwhelming support.but far too many to explain on here. over a long period this as allowed co,s. not just co,s. like ASOS to do what they like. and this is why cameron supports co,s like asos. on the question of immigrants its a misnomer All workers are exploited.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday November 24 2013 at 16:27
On the subject of strikes, union members don't just go out on strike for the sake of it, withdrawal of labour is the absolute final act as far as I am concerned.

Ask any national officer and they will tell you that they will do everything possible within their power not to send their members out on strike.

I have been out on strike a few years ago, not much fun either but sometimes one has to make a stand even if one doesn't believe that the outcome will make an impact.

There are hundreds of strikes in the UK every year, the large majority of which go unreported in the right wing media, and whilst ever the Tories are in charge this isn't going to change is it?

Reply Posted by observer on Sunday November 24 2013 at 11:05
this all boils down to one thing. the owner of asos fetched the company up here for one reason only. greeeeeeeeeeeed. he knew full well there is a mass influx of ethnics. up here. and he is guilty of manipulating them. along with the minority of the english people too. this does nothing for the economy. it does nothing for the working man. wages need to be at a scale where people can have holidays. buy household goods. apply for mortgages to buy houses. these people think its good. as the wages here are great in comparison to where they are from. this man who owns asos will gain a knighthood some day for being "succesful"??. i think me is defo looking through rose tinted specs. the hours are shocking. workers do not know the hours or days they are to work. they receive txt messages telling them you are working this day or not. a worker has rights. there are no rights at asos. it would seem? a working week should consist of 5 working days at 8 hours per day. thats how it should be.with holidays.."including xmas". some workers only get xmas day off at asos??. no matter what anyone says about asos. it is not.!!!! a good company to have in barnsley.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday November 24 2013 at 16:31
I concur Observer!

The only reason Asos relocated from Hertfordshire to our town was to "take advantage" of the local populous, take advantage of prime location and extensive road network and take advantage of the massive EU subsidies that building the new warehouse brought.

Nine thousand employees have been through the doors at Asos in the short time they have been in our town.

Those statistics alone tell you exactly what sort of company they really are.

Reply Posted by . on Sunday November 24 2013 at 11:59
All workers only get Christmas day off no matter who they are or what department they are from unless they are lucky enough to get their holidays signed off plus when you do have Christmas day off you have to save one of your holiday days for it to get paid for it

Reply Posted by Erica on Sunday November 24 2013 at 14:15
There's only so much money in the country, unfortunately success is measured in getting more than your fair share.

Reply Posted by sid on Sunday November 24 2013 at 20:04
This is all distressing to read. I am amazed and disgusted. Shame on them!

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Sunday November 24 2013 at 23:13
My word, it sounds like Stalin's Gulags. Funnily enough, they were filled with eastern Europeans too.. just like Symphonski! 'Workers' of Barnsley unite, you have nothing to lose but your dignity. ASOS etc are predators, exploiting & feeding upon the simple, impoverished & needy. Disgraceful

Reply Posted by Brzeczyszczykiewicz on Monday November 25 2013 at 02:44
I am Polish and I work at ASOS. A lot of local folk expect to be paid simply for turning up. Facing realities of spending 8 hours (if not more) per day in a working environment is way too much, staying in bed until lunch time would be much more suitable for them while cashing on the benefits. Working in other places around Barnsley left me under a same impression.

You have no education, no experience (smoking weed and drinking cheap cider don't count) and no backbone. Why do you expect someone to pay you more than a minimum wage and give other benefits such as a pension and so on ?

Permanent British staff is dedicated and foreign nationals have nothing on them. I salute these men. Young people of Barnsley who come to ASOS are lazy sods who think that they are owed a living. And please stop wearing your Umbro and Helly Hansen gear. It's tacky and discusting.

Reply Posted by christine kilkenny above on Monday November 25 2013 at 08:02
Above post is from a sad person called Christine Kilkenny moved away to London as she is a transgender and didn't fit in with her family,she resorts to coming on WAB and slagging us off,Christine Kilkenny sorry if your family disowned you,but stop taking the piss,some of us young ones do work and work very hard,now do one and jog on..

Reply Posted by christine kilkenny above on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 08:42
To post in my name day and nights obviously means you are a tad obsessed with me. Every article you pretend to be me. You are one sad sad person. You need to get a life.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 08:47
Christine Kilkenny slates all us young ones off,saying we are thick and lazy,i am only sticking up for my rights,i am a hard working young person who does not lay about all day,now do one you jog on on wedgie weirdo

Reply Posted by christine kilkenny on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 08:54
be a good girl Kilkenny,go and put the kettle on.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 09:12
You are very very very thick. Do you know how much a bedsit in Soho would cost? Lets put it this way. You wouldn't get much change from £250 per week. I bet your Barnsley council house doesn't cost that for a month's rent. Why do you keep slagging off transgender folk? Don't you think that is a bit backward in 2013. Oh I forgot you are backward!

I am lucky to have a mother and father. And they support me to this day. But there again, my father ain't down the WMC every night drinking fifteen pints of 'ale' and coming home and beating my mother up. What sort of atmostphere did you grow up in? Have you thought about counselling?

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:16
@AsosWorker from what I can gather the majority of my contracted employees are getting the bonus. The people who weren't entitled recieved a letter and there was certainly less people with letters than without.

Reply Posted by Asos Worker on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:23
I work at ASOS and everything you've heard about the place is true and more. Why do I do it? Because I can't find anything else in this town and surrounding areas. They treat their staff like shit and we might as well be micro chipped dogs the way we're constantly monitored. It's also a very lonely place to work if you're English as when I sit in the canteen all I hear around me is Polish being spoken. The council can bang on all they like about the number of jobs there, it's no good if they're mostly going to Eastern Europeans.

That place was paid for by South Yorkshire taxpayers to alleviate chronic unemployment caused when Houghton Main and Grimethorpe Collieries closed. ASOS, SASH, Symphony and Cranswick Convenience Foods (where all signs are in Polish) are shitting on the very people who paid for them to come here. I've witnessed with my own eyes Polish Team Leaders giving favourable treatment to their own countrymen while treating British staff harshly. Before anyone says I'm unfairly labelling the Poles, there are other staff who work there. I've seen Lithuanians, Latvians and Russians as well. How about some British from South Yorkshire? For those who think all unemployed people are scum, don't give me nonsense about Eastern Europeans having a better work ethic. They are employed solely because they are young and don't let silly things get in the way of slavish obedience and constant overtime such as family commitments, age and fatigue. They will also work for peanuts. If the young of South Yorkshire were given the chance of these jobs (and real jobs direct with NDL, not zero-hours crap with Translink) then they might find a work ethic and the dignity of knowing that they're working for a living and contributing to their community and economy.

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 18:01
Well said that man/woman!

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:25
Can I also just clear something up that is getting far more attention than it should be. There is no one employed by Norbert Dentressangle (the logistics provider for ASOS in Barnsley), who has a Zero Hour Contract. Everyone who is offered a full time position is given a full time contract. You guys must be confusing the agency with ASOS. Everyone knows when employed by an agency that work isn't guaranteed so yes I suppose they are on a Zero Hour Contract but this is not applicable to the people who have been offered a permanent job. They, like myself, are guaranteed 37.5 hours a week and a regular monthly salary.

Reply Posted by mini on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:29
what are the rates of pay for full time,

Reply Posted by Asos Worker on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:32
Why do they employ over half the workforce through an agency (Translink) on zero-hours contracts and why has there been such a high turnover of staff? People only apply to Translink because they dangle the carrot of a permanent job. It's not for the flexibility and insecurity that not working and not getting paid offers.

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:33
I'm not 100% sure as I work nights with a 20% shift allowance but I think it's £7.02 ph

Reply Posted by mini on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:37
cheers ASOS#1 my son been offered a job there,he is going to give it a go has cant find anything else..

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 18:02
Peanuts, Monkeys. That's shite!

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:37
I understand what you are saying Asos Worker but when you are desperate for a job as I was when I joined Transline in 2011 you just took the good with the bad. 2 days a week would have been more than I got on job seekers, although most weeks I did 5 shifts.

Reply Posted by Asos Worker on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:40
The flex is the real nonsense. It kills other commitments when you're flexed up as you can end up working 12 hour shifts at a moment's notice. It was brought in by Unipart with no consultation and whatsoever and no financial incentive. At least NDL staff still get paid for being pissed about, agency staff get no wages at all and are unable to claim any benefits either.

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:40
No problem mini. It's not easy work and there is a little of pressure but if he is willing to keep his down and get on with it there is no reason why he wouldn't be offered a full time contract

Reply Posted by mini on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:44
he starts tomorrow and ive told him to knuckle down,he lives at home so a couple of days is better than none,

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:42
I must agree with you Asos Worker, Flex is nonsense. But like I said you have to take the good with the bad if you want to have a guaranteed income.

Reply Posted by Kfc on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:51
mini good look to your son on finding this job. its clear not everything in life is a bed of roses. what shocks me is 9000 people have gone through these Asos doors.

Them figures are astounding. I believe that Asos have probably got a PR company posting on here to try and cover the bull shit up.

mini keep us posted with his progress and all the best in his job.

Reply Posted by mini on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:54
he tried everything to get a job,and with xmas round the corner,any job will do,as least if he is working he can also look round for something else,i have heard about the company and not many positives,but ive told him to knuckle down and hopefully he can find something else,fingers crossed..

Reply Posted by Asos Worker on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:51
The reason that ASOS staff use pseudonyms is that the firm is so harsh. Most companies have a social media policy regarding libel and sensitive data but we aren't allowed to discuss any aspect of our employment, good or bad. For those that put on Facebook that you work at ASOS, the company can access your entire account just by you providing this snippet of information. They're a global firm that has IT at the core of its operation, privacy settings on Facebook are nothing to them.

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:53
He'll get more than a couple of days mini, I should think he'll get mostly 5 shifts a week. It'll be busy up to Christmas but as long has he hits his targets and his attendance his good he'll be offered a full time contract. Regardless of what some people have to say on this thread, they don't just get rid of people for the sake of it.

Reply Posted by mini on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 14:58
cheers for that,he will be at work prompt as I have agreed to take him,money will come in handy for xmas,he is a sensible lad and will just get on with is work,

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 15:01
@Kfc I agree with you, 9000 people is a ridiculous amount of people. However, I still work with people who started on the same day as me 2 and a half years ago so not everyone is in and out. One thing I will say, when the warehouse opened, it was run by Unipart Logistics, who were ASOS' long term logistics partner from Hemel Hempstead. Their contract was cut short despite the plan for them to remain partners for the forseeable future. The reasons behind them losing the contract were put down to a difference in where they want to take their respective businesses. The new company Norbert Dentressangle have only been in operation since August so there is time for things to change just yet.

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 15:04
Even if it's just upto christmas mini, he'll get a weekly wage from the agency and if he doesn't think it's for him he can leave of his own free will or as you say find something else. Good luck to him anyway

Reply Posted by Asos Worker on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 15:16
The only difference I've noticed is that under Unipart we wore black T-shirts and under Norbert Dentressangle we wear red ones. There's still a constant stream of new starters training or on induction who then leave and most of the managers act like Mr Mackay from Porridge. I saw two security guards remark to each other last week when yet another stream of new starters passed by:
Guard one "I'll give them a week",
Guard two "I'll give them three days

Reply Posted by ASOS#1 on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 15:18
Do you agree asos worker that the loss of the contract was a bit suspicious? I am still hopeful that NDL will make changes for the better. It is still early days.

Reply Posted by Asos Worker on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 15:36
I'm not sure why Unipart lost the contract, it's probably something simple like NDL pitched to ASOS that they'd do it cheaper. As far as I an see it's business as usual for NDL. You're sadly deluded if you think the employment conditions are going to improve. You might be hitting your KPI or % as it's now known and everything may seem rosy but all it takes is for you to have an injury, a problem at home or piss off the wrong Team Leader and you'll find yourself in their headlights with one foot in the Job Centre. The Employee Forum is a spineless charade designed to give us the illusion of participation and keep a real trade union, the GMB at bay. It could be Unipart, NDL or the Taliban in charge, until we are treated with respect, have more local people employed and proper representation nothing will change. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that ASOS as a firm is doing well but just once I'd like to go to work with a spring in my step, be treated like a colleague not a serf and not have the constant threat of dismissal hanging over me (it's right there in your contract of employment if you're "lucky" enough to have one).

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 17:27
At last an Asos worker that give us the truly terrifying insight as to what is happening at Asos Grimethorpe.

Asos Worker, can you explain how this "flex" thingy works?

You may have seen some of my posts regarding Asos, a friend of mine works there and is a higher manager and gives me snippets of imformation but I don't know the full story.

Mate says there is roughly 52% Eastern Europeans working there at the moment, can you confirm / deny this figure?

How many people are on full time contracts and are they all on these "annualised" hours?

Reason I ask is "a" union is trying to gain a foothold in Asos, that's all I can say on that for the minute but as soon as the details are confirmed I "may" be able to shed some more light on the situation.

Cheers

STEVEO

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 18:07
It sounds like they need one as well! Concentration Camp springs to mind. That atmosphere can't seriously be positive in regards to productivity, morale etc. You'd be better off building bridges/railways for the Japs, in Burma with my Grandad.

Reply Posted by Asos Worker on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 00:12
Steveo, about 50% of the workforce at any one time are employed by Transline Resourse which doesn't have annualised hours. They don't have any hours really, they're subject to the whims of the business so workers can find themselves with as many or as little hours as the agency see fit. The other 50% are employed directly by Norbert Dentressangle but not all on permanent contracts. Some are on fixed-term contracts which could either be extended or terminated. Transline staff are promised transference to NDL after about 3 months but it's hit and miss. They have to jump through a lot of hoops to get that far and many simply can't cope on the sporadic work and uncertain income. Many get stood down for days on end without pay so they end up seeking other employment and get labelled lazy and workshy by the Eastern Europeans who will put up with any old shit because they're happy that they're not in Eastern Europe (we'll get to them in a minute).
The NDL staff are on annualised hours (flex) and it works like this:
You are allocated 37.5 hours a week rostered in advance just like any other firm and you are paid a salary for that amount of hours. Where it differs from other employment is that a sizeable amount of days are marked as flex days. Some days you could be flexed down where they may call you in 4 hours later or send you home 2-4 hours early. Even though you are working less hours you will still get paid for an 8 hour shift. Sounds good so far? Wrong. If you get sent home early you may still have to end up staying for free and sitting around in the canteen as public transport is terrible outside of normal shift times and non-existent in the middle of a night turn. You also have to be constantly contactable and to not sit by the phone is considered a breach of contract and a disciplinary offence. Sometimes you can get to work and be told that you're not on shift so you have to come home again despite having received no advance notice. All the hours that you're not needed will be claimed back by NDL so you could find yourself being given a week off then them asking for it back right away on top of your normal hours. They can flex you up 4 hours per shift (always at the beginning) so you could end up doing 12 hours at extremely short notice for days on end. The Poles love this because they're young and here for one thing only, work. This constant moving around is not so good for the English staff with families as the uncertainty contributes towards being unable to function as a parent and causes more staff to leave for something more stable. I know some staff that owe NDL 70+ hours free work and there's not a damn thing they can do about it as it's in their contract.

Regarding the Eastern Europeans, I'd say that your friend's estimate is about right overall although it seems higher on some shifts or sections. A particularly alienating thing is that Polish is widely spoken even among Team Leaders and this is not condusive to a united workforce. I personally feel like a foreigner in my own country when I'm at work and it can be a very lonely place. There are cultural differences among the workforce and a minority of the Poles are real nasty people who look down on the English furthering tension and increasing alienation. I never used to be bothered about where my workmates came from in other jobs but now that I'm the foreigner and a stranger in my own land I long for the days of the Cold War when they would have been arrested as spies and I could converse with my fellow workers without feeling that I was some sort of scab. It sticks in my throat when I see youngsters in Grimethorpe and Cudworth doing nothing and drifting into fecklessness and crime while foreigners travel from Sheffield, Doncaster and even Leeds to work there. Those same youngsters who should be given the jobs (through opportunity or threat of sanction if they won't comply) are just stagnating and will all be tarred with the same brush ie. lazy benefit scroungers etc. When there were big firms around such as the NCB the tearaways were tamed by the responsibility of having a job and working with people who knew their family and lived in the same community as them. I'm not looking back at the days of the pits with rose-tinted glasses, I went underground and can't say I liked it much but it did provide a certain dignity, camaradarie, security and standard of living that ASOS does not.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 00:27
Jesus, I knew it was bad but not THAT bad!

That flex business sounds utterly horrendous!

Did you see the Amazon expose the other night?

Wonder if Panorama would be interested in doing a piece about Asos?

Hmmmmm.....

Reply Posted by Asos Worker on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 00:44
I saw some of the Amazon programme and the culture is similar. It would be very hard to get a hidden camera into the fulfilment area at ASOS as we can be body searched at any time.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 00:07
Now I know I will get bashed for writing a London post but this is relevant. So Steveo and Sid my sparring partners open your ears!

A few weeks ago there was an article on the ASOS offfice in London. It boasted about the young workforce (mainly aged under 26). Oh and the perks they enjoyed. Search for it online. Lots of photos of comfy settees with young pretty folk lying about planning their next strategies. Disgusting.

I have never bought from ASOS and never will.

Reply Posted by christine kilkenny on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 07:55
maybe you can't afford to buy from ASOS,i work there and it puts food on the table and warmth in my home,so keep your opinions down London and we all can,t be lucky to live in the Capital cardboard city,Now be a good girl and jog on.your as boring as Richard and Fred..

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 09:20
Hey Kilkenny, I'm not your sparring partner! I lost interest in you long ago after changing your name a million times,yet posting in your own particular and aften vulgar manner. When you bring everyone's mother and her pussy into the equation,thats game over for me,as it just shows you have lost the debate.

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 01:12
Horrendous. Never bought from ASOS, never will. Concentration Camps

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 09:01
LOL - Please learn the difference between 'where' and 'were'. Are you really that dim? If you are, just pop down to Barnsley Central Library and have a chat with one of the workers. They will show you where the Children's section is. They should have some basic books for you to read.

Reply Posted by LOL on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 09:04
LOOK LOWERING US YOUNG BARNSLEY FOLK INTO THE GUTTER AGAIN.KILKENNY@ WHY YOU NEED TO COME ON OUR SITES,SAYS IT ALL FOR YOUR LONDON LIFE...

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 09:15
I'm afraid I agree with the sid from above Kilkenny. Your posts do swing from having a view,which you are entitled to, to downright nasty and vile! Glad you have left Barnsley.

Reply Posted by siddy on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 09:19
Hi sid,i am new to the WAB,and find some post very interesting,STEVEO seems to know a lot of facts,some very good common sense posts,but sadly a lot of bitterness by ex Barnsley folk,i will you Siddy from now has Sid his been used,

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 09:22
Last line??? You will what me siddy? Silly bugger!

Reply Posted by Siddy on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 09:26
sorry Sid, I will use Siddy from now,The vultures will be getting on at me for my bad grammar..That LOL can be funny,but sometimes rude,i bet it depends what side of the bed he woke up on..

Reply Posted by Sam on Wednesday June 18 2014 at 19:25
Hi I am Sam, Been working at ASOS for 4 weeks now, And have to say I disagree with many of these comments. Yes its hard work, Yes its not good you get sent home early, But ultimately if you come to work when you are supposed to, on time and low sick rates and hit your targets or get clsoe to them you will get a permanent contract. You get constant feedback on how well you are doing, and after 8 weeks you get a review, if you pass it when they are doing contracts next you get given a contract. Yes you are on your feet all day long, Yes the targets are high, but its called WORK for a reason, its not a social club, its not a convention its WORK. Also the company is good enough to back date any bonus pay you might earn while you are agency, and they pay a little over £2 extra p/hr if you hit the 85% mark. How the annualised hours thing works is basically if you get a permanent contract and get what we call flexed up or flexed down (you are expected to give 37.5hrs per week on average, flex up means you stay 2 hours extra on the morning shift, flex down is either a full day off, half day off or 1-2 hrs early) and they accrue the hours you owe or they owe you intro a bank balance and claim it back when its busy, and give the hours back when its quiet. You get a set wage every month, so wether you work 4 weeks of 60 hr weeks in a month, or you work 3 days in a month you get same wage. The only complaint I have is transport availability and the fact english isnt the predominant language on site, as even team leaders more often converse in polish and you are often left feeling an outsider. Other than that decent place to work. All those moaning above must have either been expecting an easy job or not following the rules ie booking a holiday well in advance etc. With over 3,000 staff on the books its always going to be hard to get the holiday you specifically want, and if you go and have the holiday anyway of course you iwll get punished why wouldnt you.

Reply Posted by Sam on Wednesday June 18 2014 at 19:31
In addition to my post -

For agency staff however it is truly awful, you can come in at any days notice, to be told you have to go home unpaid, this can happen for weeks at a time at some points, as an agency worker you do not have any garunteed hours its basically only if they need you. And you must pass this agency bit for about 3-4 month to get a permanent contract. Most I know of dont last that long bar the Eastern Europeans who are just happy to be in England so put up with any **** the agency throws at them. Us English cant cope with it however. I personally am at my wits end right now in the past 2 weeks I have worked 2 days which is ridiculous and this will continue until I am made permanent. Even then I can work 0 hours 1 week then work 60 hours a week for the next 3-4 weeks to repay the week I got flexed down for. Basically you are there to be used by them. Still I cant complain a job is a job after all hopefully work picks up soon

Reply Posted by Digger on Wednesday June 18 2014 at 21:55
ARSOS, crap jobs for the mentally challenged. Too much like hard work for the lazy fat Grimey crackhead kids, who have their own kids to look after & would rather stay on benefits & then blame all foreigners for 'nickin us jobs'.
Kids, if you toss off your education, you will end up at ARSOS. Think about it