Financial Boost For Ex-Miners

Tuesday November 19 2013

Photo by Lindsi Russell Photo by Lindsi Russell

A FINANCIAL boost has been announced for ex-miners, who are set to get a 'coal or cash' offer.

Chancellor George Osborne said the government would guarantee 400 pit workers recently made redundant a free delivery of coal every year worth £1,300 or £600 in cash.

A further 1,000 retired workers will also get help.

About 69,000 former mine workers currently receive a fuel allowance from the government each year under the terms of the National Concessionary Fuel Scheme.

Mr Osborne said it was important to support a group of people who through no fault of their own had lost out and demonstrated the government's wish to support workers in all industries across the country.

Reply Posted by Anon on Saturday November 23 2013 at 10:28
Thought miners got enough money years ago with there massive payouts and other claims they made like vibration white finger !! It's not just miners who have lost out concerning the industry they was in :-(

Reply Posted by Alex on Saturday November 23 2013 at 13:32
I am one of the lucky miners that doesn't have the "lung disease" that many of my colleagues died of. I do have other problems with working down their but most miner do!

So! until you know what you are talking about "anon" shut the F**K up.

Reply Posted by beentheredonethat on Saturday November 23 2013 at 10:40
I take it you neva been down a mine in your life then anon. Cos if you had you wouldn't be spouting off like you are.

Reply Posted by common sence on Saturday November 23 2013 at 10:46
And some people say why did they close pits . Because it was a shithole to work in..!!!

Reply Posted by spam on Saturday November 23 2013 at 12:21
Anon my dad worked down the pit for yrs and now I have to watch him struggle to get his breath not a pretty sight what's you health like you moron you can't put a price on someone's health

Reply Posted by Sjb on Saturday November 23 2013 at 12:50
Well said spam. My dad is an ex miner too and now carries an oxygen bottle wherever he goes. No amount of money can repair the scarring on his lungs

Reply Posted by M on Saturday November 23 2013 at 14:28
Anon u ignorant pig I lost my father and father in law to lung disease my father came out with nothing my brother injured dead at 42 my father in law retired at 48 on oxygen till he died dowels aid alex

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday November 23 2013 at 15:23
Oh Dear, so George Osbourne (real name Gideon) has resorted to "bribing" the former miners of our town with either £600 smackeroonies or a coal allowance.
Rather quixotic don't you thing Georgie poos seeing that your former Tory Prime Minister Maggie (old bag) Thatcher once destroyed our once proud mining heritage all because the miners made her look like a complete fool.

Bribe all you like Gideon, you and your Tory chums will never get a foothold in south Yorkshire due to the crimes that you Tories hath committed against the people of Barnsley and the former surrounding mining areas.

Reply Posted by Me on Saturday November 23 2013 at 16:04
I'm a bit confused now, people all getting on about Thatcher closing mines, yet theirs all these ex miners with horrendous health issues now. So surely Thatchers closing of the mines may have caused job losses etc but its also stopped further generations having to suffer these debiliating injuries and illnesses.

Reply Posted by a2b on Saturday November 23 2013 at 16:11
Me@ are you the one who walked for 15 yrs to get to Houghton main?

Reply Posted by Me on Saturday November 23 2013 at 19:53
I've watched 2 relatives suffer for years with deafness, white finger and emphasyma, followed by premature deaths. No money would have helped them while they were suffering and one of them though seeking compensation was a terrible thing to do. Personally I think ex miners who are genuinely suffering should get help from the Gov for what they endured. But surely Thatcher closing the pits as stopped the younger generations having to suffer these illnesses and disabilities. If the pits had remained open how many more would be suffering and needing financial help now.

Reply Posted by not me" on Saturday November 23 2013 at 20:05
"Emphysema"

Reply Posted by Lol@Stevo on Sunday November 24 2013 at 11:20
@Stevo. Are you saying they should have kept the pits open? Have you heard/read about the problems with ex miners health?

You talk utter trash just like Arthur Scargill.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 09:10
Where on any of my posts do I say that they should have kept the mines open?

The Tories / Thatcher destroyed the mining industry simply because several hundred thousand people dared to defy them / her by going out on strike, those are the facts my pedigree chum.

I know all about the industrial diseases and ailments associated with mining such as Pneumoconiosis, Silicosis , Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Miners Knee, Vibration White Finger (They call it Hand Arm Vibration Syndrome these days) as a large proportion of my family who worked down the pits suffer with some of them.
My father in law has COPD and one of my uncles has Pneumoconiosis and has to have an oxygen bottle with him all the time.
That good enough for you?
Do I need to elaborate further?

Reply Posted by mal on Wednesday November 27 2013 at 12:28
I worked down the mines , I left with redundensey in 94. never received a fuel allowance, will I be entitled to a pay out....

Reply Posted by mal on Monday December 2 2013 at 14:07