One Rubbish Collection Per Fortnight Is Not Enough, Says Resident

Friday November 15 2013

A RESIDENT fears future fires if the council do not get on top of a rubbish problem.

A fire started on Bloemfontein Street, Cudworth, was started in rubbish that had been left out by a nearby resident.

He says unless more bins are provided and there is a better communication line with the council, it will happen again.

"One of the residents is a bit of a hoarder and the rubbish builds up a lot," he said.

"There's a couch out there at the minute and it's just waiting to be set on fire.

"I just wish the council would come around, knock on doors and ask people how many bins they need.

"Personally I don't think just one collection a fortnight is enough.

"I want this addressing as soon as possible because it's been going on all summer and it's getting on top of people."

A spokesman for the council said four bins were provided to each house for garden waste and cardboard, glass, cans and plastic bottles, paper and general household waste.

He said: "The alternative weekly collection scheme has been established in Barnsley for some years and the vast majority of residents manage their waste without any problems.

"We also run an additional waste capacity scheme for larger households with five or more permanent residents.

"If a resident requires assistance with managing their waste or understanding what can be recycled they should contact the waste management helpline for advice or to arrange a home visit by a member of the waste management team if appropriate."

Waste collections in the borough changed recently. Here's your WAB Guide on what you need to know.

Reply Posted by Frank Lee Mydear on Friday November 15 2013 at 13:17
What I don't get, is most of Barnsley has different coloured bins for different kinds of waste, but where I live we only have the grey ones and all waste goes in them. The bin round collects from one recycling area, then tips everything from our bins on top of it which is mixed waste. Why bother with seperate bins if we don't need them here and it all gets mixed together anyway? Is it just so people are doing the majority of the job recycling plants get paid to do? If so, why aren't the people going to the trouble of separating things into different bins getting some sort of tax rebate?

Reply Posted by LOL on Saturday November 16 2013 at 08:52
WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Friday November 15 2013 at 14:26
Seems to me that this isn't an issue on rubbish collection, but on people a) setting fire to rubbish - either accidentally or on a purpose b) the fact that people are leaving their bins outside making a) easier.
We have 3 adults in our household, we recycle what can be recycled and make sure the bins are not left out... we don't get 'full' bins and don't have bins on fire.

Reply Posted by Bob on Friday November 15 2013 at 14:37
"James Wilmott lives close by and says he had to go and put the fire out himself before calling the fire brigade."
Why call the Fire Brigade out AFTER putting the fire out? What a waste of resources!

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday November 15 2013 at 14:55
What size bin do you want to put the old sofa in? Council only charges a fiver to remove them which is a bargain, & loads of people cruise round looking for any metal scrap like old washing machines & cookers. The current system works well for anyone who makes the effort to sort waste into the different bins available & remembers to put the bins out. Only possible exception is very large families with babies in nappies.

Reply Posted by It's me on Friday November 15 2013 at 17:34
It's been a problem up there for years even when the bin got emptied weekly the streets a shit hole

Reply Posted by - on Friday November 15 2013 at 18:15

One of the residents will not use her own bin(if she has one). So she users other residents bins, other residents get mad and tip all the rubbish out of their bin. Its got nothing to do with fortnightly collections.

Reply Posted by christine kilkenny on Friday November 15 2013 at 22:29
just get on with it ,such a trivial matter.you BIN HEADS

Reply Posted by Waste of time! on Friday November 15 2013 at 23:17
I know let's have an extra collection. Just because the man up the rd needs somewhere to put his sofa! Before the bloke across the rd sets fire to it! Do what everyone else does...deal with it!!

Reply Posted by bin,layden on Friday November 15 2013 at 23:39
what a load of rubbish.

Reply Posted by chinese on Sunday November 17 2013 at 23:15
Binman to chinaman.where yer bin. CM to BM, I bin to china.BM to CM,no where.s yer wheelie bin.CM to BM,i wheelie bin to china..

Reply Posted by ian on Monday November 18 2013 at 17:09
if you only have 1 grey bin get in touch with the council waste management to get hold of the others they are free for collection or pay for delivery. simple fact is people cant be arsed to recycle. if my bin was full i would take what i cant get in to the tip if its not recycleable or if my recycle bins were full its not far to the neared bottle bank etc every area has them,its just people cant be bothered to use them.are black bin is never full if we recycle or if it is i get in it and stand it down( if i can) to save on a run to tip.

Reply Posted by joey on Monday November 18 2013 at 17:11
Ive lost 2 fences and a melted window and door due to idiots setting fires on the street.it would still happen if the rubbish was collected everyday.they need to crack down on crime in that area

Reply Posted by sid the man on Monday November 18 2013 at 21:24
they should crack down on crime in our area wilson street ,theres dustbins getting kicked over rubbish all over street ,my daughters always complaing to council but nothing gets done,its these druggies that do it,setting fires to bins ect

Reply Posted by A on Tuesday November 19 2013 at 02:27
Really annoys me when a go to effort of making sure all recycling is in proper bin labels off, put mine out brown bin once a month, take labels off, squash bottles and cans down then someone tips rubbish in it. I am not fishing it out, and especially when black bin is next to it and that goes out once a fortnight majority of time half full. I think if recycling is so important in Barnsley there should be more information on the matter and the council ought to make sure everyone has facilities ie. containers to be able to stick to it...

Reply Posted by Bin fanatic on Tuesday November 19 2013 at 21:40
We should have
Grey bin for dry household waster
Red for kitchen waste - pig feed
Green for garden waste
Blue for paper
Brown for glass and tins
Yellow for cardboard
Orange for plastic

Reply Posted by Awesome council NOT!!! on Thursday April 10 2014 at 20:33
Since 1st April We have not had a single recycling bin collected upon leaving blue bins out some have gone missing Sorry I rephrase MOST.

10th April Brown and grey Bins also not emptied Edward street Wombwell and surrounding streets

Is the Barnsley council not bothered about using part of the Council tax which includes waste management.

Or are they so inept they havent bother to tell waste managment which days to actually pick up Rubbish.

I'm from originally from Lincolnshire and they recycle far more and actually pick up bins on stated days.

This smacks of incompetence which I would Not expect from a Labour Council...

sorry made myself laugh there.

Reply Posted by MH on Thursday April 10 2014 at 20:52
Quote "Waste collections in the borough changed recently. Here's your WAB Guide on what you need to know"

That's all Fine and well but maybe you should let the waste management know the new dates so they can pick up the proper bins on stated dates which they are not doing here.

My neighbours now and inconsiderately burn Plastic every damned night Near Midnight or after, and because most of it is plastic I have to keep my windows closed this stuff is carcinogenic it's giving me headaches and making me ill.

They were also doing this During that smog How nice of them.

Most of the people in Barnsley are nice and a pleasure to talk to, but some are inconsiderate half drunk stoned out of their heads and don't give a fig about what consequences their actions may have to others..

I have no choice but to inform environmental Health and have an abatement noticed served on my neighbours.. They are so stoned at the time no doubt they wont even notice when it turns into a £5,000 fine.

I have no choice as a result of this useless council my health is at risk and inconsiderate neighbours are more then likely going to be warned off.