Positive Signs For Barnsley's Economy

Friday November 22 2013

AROUND 4,400 people in the town have gained full-time employment in the last year.

As the country's economic growth picked up pace in the third quarter of the year, there are also positive signs of improvement in our town.

Martin Beasley is the programme manager for Enterprising Barnsley, which helps businesses develop and expand, generating economic growth and creating new jobs.

He said data from the Office of National Statistics show from June 2012 to July 2013 there had been positive growth in employment in the borough.

The annual increase recorded in the number of Barnsley residents in full-time employment had risen by 6.2 per cent - which is about 4,400 people.

The figure is greater than increases recorded at both regional and national level.

Martin said: "In terms of new business, that's only showing an increase of 0.1 per cent, but it's going up and in the right direction."

He said since April 2012, Enterprising Barnsley has created 431 new jobs, which is 78 per cent of the target set by the Department for Communities and Local Government and the European Commission.

Martin added: "We have until June 2015 to achieve our targets so we're aiming to exceed the target comfortably."

Barnsley is also bucking the trend when it comes to average weekly earnings.

Martin said: "The gap to both national and regional average weekly earning levels appears to be narrowing.

"Between June 2012 and July 2013 the average weekly earning levels have increased by 4.7 per cent which is greater than the increase recorded at a regional (0.9 per cent) and a national (1.6 per cent) level."

Reply Posted by Mum of three on Friday November 22 2013 at 22:28
Fantastic
Thank God we are coming out of this nightmare

Reply Posted by rainbow on Saturday November 23 2013 at 10:19
Looks like the Tories are doing something Labour never did in thirteen years of office I'm saddened to say.

Reply Posted by like hell on Saturday November 23 2013 at 11:51
what there done rainbow,f@ck all,you user name says it all,head in the clouds.

Reply Posted by The Unit on Sunday November 24 2013 at 23:04
Did you ever get an education? LIKE HELL!!!

Reply Posted by like hell on Monday November 25 2013 at 18:29
Well educated thanks. just don't read shite in news and think its all true..cuckoo

Reply Posted by x on Saturday November 23 2013 at 11:32
whats that then rainbow,forcing people to take zero contract jobs never knowing from one day to next wether they are working or not ,i kinow someone who is employed on one of these contracts he's worked 4 days in the last 3 wks how is he supposed to support his family in that situation,but he is one of the so called 4'400 people whov'e found full time employment,luckily i have a job with a contracted 40 hrs but you cant possibly class zero contract hrs as full time employment .but i suppose it looks good on the tories fictional figures and statistics

Reply Posted by AI on Saturday November 23 2013 at 11:47
Good news for everyone-unemployment decreasing, new businesses starting-things can only get better?
Not sure zero hour jobs are counted though as they do not have contracts-as bad as they are they would if included increase the employment figures of the Town.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday November 23 2013 at 14:42
Being a "statto" that loves statistics, it does (on paper) look very good doesn't it?
But alas those of us in the know know that these "stats" are mere smoke and mirrors "propaganda" to give false hope.

Ian Duncan Smith (Or Ians Dodgy Stats as he's known) is the biggest "statto propagandist" in the entire history of the UK.
He has been slapped down several times for the lies and falsifying of unemployment statistics..
In fact the way the Tories count the "unemployed" is totally falsified and downright lie after lie.
statistics can be good but anyone can entre any statistic into ones computer to make things look better than the actually are.

Back to the topic in hand, we need 30,000 MORE jobs in our town not just any old jobs but decent jobs with decent wages working for decent employers.
NOT working for hire and fire agencies and NOT on minimum wage.

X ,zero hours contract workers are classed as employed as they pay income tax and NI depending on what hours were worked mind.

Reply Posted by Fw on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 10:49
If we're going to look back Stevo,what did you think of the state country before she came to power?

Can you remember the militant unions holding this country to ransom? The dead not getting buried? The rubbish stacked up in the streets? Bread rationing? and so on and so on. Britain was the "sick man of Europe"

Remind me who was in Government at the time?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 11:25
If you are talking anything earlier than 1978 then I was too young to care about politics and in all honestly just do not know.
I could google it but I'd rather you educated me about that time before 1978 if you would.

Reply Posted by Fw on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 11:52
What makes you think I was born before 78 Stevo?

Im sure quite a few Barnsley folk weren't born when the miners strike was goin on, but they still harp on about it and blame Thatcher and the Tories.

You can't educate pork im afraid.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 17:15
The way you speak about bread rationing and the dead going unburied would suggest that you were born before 1978, the first time I had heard about the dead going unburied was a quote from the film "twenty four hour party people"!

As for me I don't know what happened before 1978 because I was too young.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 17:27
Hey STEVEO are you joking? Howdya know so much? Haha!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 18:46
Lets just say that I am a member of a certain group of activists that are determined to uncover the things that the Tories try to cover up and stuff that the mainstream media dare not transmit.
I am in my mid forties if ya really wanna know sid.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 21:19
I remember Dawn the nurse giving stevo a hard time when he jumped on her for slagging the unions off. I miss her.

Reply Posted by Dawn on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 21:24
Im still here sid, I said at the time I was going to enjoy my stay here and it's true, I love it!

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 22:05
Yes, I just thought you have a lot of knowledge,I thought you must be my age..ish. Well done to you my friend. The post below is not me!

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 22:07
I should say the post in my name at 21.19! Its some body playing silly buggers.

Reply Posted by Dawn on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 22:10
Sorry Sid,Thought you were being plolite to me,Oh well not to worry!!!

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 22:15
Haha! I'm confused @ Dawn. Some plebs taking the mick! I was posting STEVEO. LOL.

Reply Posted by observer on Sunday November 24 2013 at 11:10
rainbow. wake up. smell the coffee. you can harp on about the 13 yrs of labour in office. the real reason we are in this crap is because we never recovered from the devastation that the thatcher bastard tory government created in our area.i think lobour could have done more for the working man during their last term in office i agree. maybe its time for another party.

Reply Posted by Fw on Monday November 25 2013 at 08:29
Stop blaming Thatcher. Im I right in saying Labour shut more pits down than the Tories? Other mining towns have moved on, it's about time the people of Barnsley did aswell.

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Monday November 25 2013 at 18:13
too right, folk still living in the 80's, wake up & get on with life.

Reply Posted by Richard on Monday November 25 2013 at 23:15
Using Thatcher? Seriously? That was 30 years ago.

I bet you still blame your nursery school teacher for your final exam results!

What's sad is the people not picking themselves up, dusting themselves off (from the 13 years of LABOUR) and trying harder to make things better, rather than simply blaming everyone else for their own sad existence.

If you want to blame anyone for LOCAL problems, why not look at how long LABOUR has been running the LOCAL council.....THEN look at where your complaints should be aimed at.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 08:50
You still seem to have conveniently forgot my "double helix" post from a month or so ago whereby I gave you detailed statistical analysis to disprove your theory that "the Tories are sorting out the mess inherited from years of Labour spending" rubbish.

In the seventies the percentage of companies that manufactured product in the UK was 37% the current figure for 2013 is 9%.

Thatcher paved the way for the move from manufacturing to the service industry and statisticians suggest that the UK has effectively "lost" 27% GDP since Thatcher and the Tories moved us from the manufacturing to the service industry.

You cannot have a manufacturing base which earned billions of pounds in revenues and replace it with service oriented industry, the figures just do not add up.

Germany hasn't felt the recession one jot since the global financial meltdown , this is down to the fact that they are a manufacturing superpower, or to the lay man - they still make things!

so yes, Thatcher and the Tories are to blame.

And again, I refer you to the fact that George (Gideon) Osbourne has borrowed MORE money year on year than the last Labour Exchequer ever did.

The "Welfare reforms" are merely a smoke and mirrors exercise to "get us out of this mess and cut benefits" but we all know that the so called welfare reforms actually cost MORE to implement than "getting people off benefits and back to work".

The Tories have squandered £450 million pounds (so far) on its "flagship" welfare reforms and continue to spend money that the public purse just does not have, saddling future generations with yet more future debts.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Sunday November 24 2013 at 11:23
It's also no use carping on about what Margaret Thatcher did to Barnsley I lost my job during that era but things didn't improve with Labour either. The only towns that get help are the marginal constituencies where the parties have to fight to keep control. Barnsley has payed a heavy price for its loyalty to Labour, so yes observer lets vote for someone else.??

Reply Posted by TheGuardian on Sunday November 24 2013 at 23:53
Correct, at last people are seeing the light!

Reply Posted by sally on Sunday November 24 2013 at 18:14
I think its about time that the government got its facts right. put them on lie detectors, because its my opinion they are all trained liars. They tell that many lies they believe them themselves. It seems they cannot tell the truth about anything. I will say it again stop sending billions overseas get it used here where it is desperately needed. STOP immigration and get every foreigner on benefit out and sent back to where they came from. Also why do people want to come here. A lot travel through many countries to get here when they could stay in other countries. Its disgusting.

Reply Posted by AHR on Monday November 25 2013 at 13:07
People just don't know the true number of hidden unemployed, seek and ye shall find !

Reply Posted by sally on Monday November 25 2013 at 14:57
Yes we can seek, but will not always find because true facts can be cleverly hidden. Then used as propaganda to fool the public, who know only too well the true cost to themselves and their families, the rates of unemployment. Figures the government show are meaningless and should be disregarded. Give the unemployed the job of detailing every single unemployed person and to detail why they are unemployed. And I do not mean job centres.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 08:53
The truth always come out in the end.
Don't expect to see the true figures in the Sun, Daily Mail or Telegraph though, Or the BBC.
A new webpage which focuses on the stuff that the BBC don't show has just been created, check it out at thepeoplesvoice.tv.

Reply Posted by ged on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 16:07
So did Thatcher and the tories do good for Barnsley then Fw??

Reply Posted by Fw on Tuesday November 26 2013 at 21:31
You tell me ged. Did Labour do good for Barnsley?